• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 07:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Stranger in his own land

Started by tomcat, Feb 25, 2007, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 25, 2007, 08:14 AM Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007, 04:41 AM by tomcat
OOC: Feel free to add anymore dialogue you wish to the last thread, but I am starting the next scene.

The day broke clear and sunny but soggy from the night's rain. Heostor lifted his head with a whicker when Fengel came out of his family home, happy to see its master. The Éothraim carried a leather satchel that contained the last remnants of the oats that they had been given in Lórien. He spread them across the old wood trough that still sat in the paddock and smiled as the horses all came to munch on the grains. Fengel patted his horse's neck as he stared out over the plains of his old home. It wasn't the same anymore.

Burh Donun was not far away and the headsman of that clan was a friend of Fengel's father - they should know something of where his sister might be, and why wargs were running wild across the Ehwathrumavuld, the great plains that made up his people's lands. The village lay to the east only a short ride away and the warrior wished to get the day moving.

Fortunately, sounds were emanating from the interior of the house heralding that the other Company members were awake.

OOC: Actions and/or Dialogue
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dirnhael could not shake the sound of the speaking warg from his mind. He looked forward to being on the move - away from this place, even if it was once his friend's home.

"Come," he said, "let us make haste for the nearest settlement this day. Perhaps we can sleep amongst comrades-in-arms instead of wargs this evening!"
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Nain woke slowly.  Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he straps his axe across his back then wanders a short distance from the house to use the small outbuilding to relieve himself.   Once that's complete he heads to the stable to check on Jethro.  He expected that their relationship would get a lot more rocky now that he'd run out of apples.  It was usually about the only thing Nain had to keep the crazy beast in line.  He worried about it as he entered the stable and saw the young warrior there.  In response to his suggestion Nain gives a nod.

"And good morning to you to. Shall we eat something before we go or would you like to just set off now?"

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil stirs and wakes.  Stretching out a bit of the night's stiffness, he sets out to where he saw the wargs.  Once there, he looks around to see if any of their tracks remained.

Observe (Spot) - 5*+3+2=10

Regardless of the outcome, he returns to the home to report his findings.  "Eat here or on the road, makes no difference to me."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

"Fengel knows these lands best. The decision should be his," said Dirnhael.

Palandil

"Though I am anxious to find my sister, we should strengthen our bodies with food.  Apparently these lands are not as I have known them to be.  Our people would have never suffered these lands to the feet of vile wargs.  We may need our strength today.  Not far from here is a settlement, perhaps there we'll find some answers."

tomcat

Feb 27, 2007, 07:11 AM #6 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007, 07:16 AM by tomcat
They ate a small breakfast while Durgil scouted out the tracks left by the night's intruders. In the muddy turf could easily be seen the large paw prints of the wargs and the path they took, both in coming and going. The Dúnadan returned with the small bit of information that he had garnered to see his companions gathering their remaining gear. Stowing it on the horses, the Company began to move again in search of answers to the questions that ran through their many thoughts. As had been decided the night before, the Company would head north and east to the settlement of Burh Donun and then none knew from there. Hopefully they could begin to start piecing together the mystery of the whereabouts of Fengel's sister.

The day was a beautiful bright blue with thin whispy clouds high above, complimented by the rich greens and yellows of the prairie surrounding them. Edrahil watched the many birds of prey as they hung on the air, hunting the prairie mice and other small animals that scurried amongst the tall grasses. The land rose and fell in slight undulations as the Company trotted along.

Five miles out from Fengel's homestead, the Company came upon a carcass that lay in the afternoon sun. The fetid smell of decay was beginning to hang heavily in the air and even the slight breezes could not break the odor. Carrion birds hopped about and tore at the dead creature or they hung aloft in the air, waiting to land and take their fill.

The Company approached the ruined body and the vultures scurried about only to land a few yards away, waiting for the intruders to leave. The creature was a warg and it looked as if its throat had been torn open by strong fangs and claws. One of the slender fletched arrows that Durgil had been given in Rivendell stuck up from its back quarters, right along its spine. It had not been an immediate killing blow but definitely one that would have slowed the creature. Its companions must have thought it now a liability and had slain it, making a meal of it as well and leaving the rest for the crows and vultures to finish. Durgil drew forth the arrow, as it was a commodity in this seemingly woodless land, and wiped it off on the brown fur of the warg - he then deposited it back in his quiver.

Moving on, the Company rode the remaining miles to the neighboring clan and were immediately aware when they came within its bounds for the land was tilled and crops could be seen growing. In these fields stood a few men, women and children, who looked at the approaching riders with wondering eyes. In the distance, the ribbon of the Donu River could be clearly seen and the small village of Burh Donun sat on a small tributary. Smoke rose from the earthen structures, much like that which Fengel's family had lived in, as well as a central long house that was made of stone and wood.

People stood and stared as the riders came within the village confines and dogs ran up yelping, causing the riders to maintain a better hold on their mounts. Whispers (not all in the comon tongue) and blatant finger pointing were made in the direction of the Elf, Dwarf, and Dúnedain...

"Are they of Gondor?"
"Look at their raimant?"
"So noble and tall!"
"There will be trouble to be sure!"
"We need to send them on their way otherwise the Sagath will blame us!"

Then, rising above all other whispers and murmurs, a voice spoke - "Fengel-sen-Halath? Is it you?"

Fengel had not heard his name spoken in the manner of his youth in so long that he almost did not recognize it, but he turned his head and there was an elder man that stood there that he immediately knew. It was Bragos - his father's friend and headsman of the clan of Burh Donun.

OOC: Actions - and /or - Dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Feb 27, 2007, 07:59 AM #7 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007, 08:03 AM by Palandil
Seeing his family friend brought a broad smile to Fengel's face.  He immediately brought Heostor to a halt and leaped to the ground.  Walking up to the man he grabbed his hand.  "Bragos!", greeted Fengel pulling the man closer.  "It has been a long while since I have been home.  And while I am glad to see you,.. sorrow fills my heart.  I have returned to my families lands only to find it ruined and no sign of my Gleowyn.  And wargs roam the lands freely.  Please tell me where I can find my sister?  Tell me that she is alright?"

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil smiled inwardly at the commotion the group caused, especially at the sound of children laughing and playing -- something he had heard little to none since departing Fornost.  He didn't understand what trouble he and his companions could be, but supposed that they looked odd enough that their mere presence might cause a stir.  Vaguely in the back of his mind he also pondered who this 'Sagath' might be.

When Fengel went to greet this acquaintance, Durgil will remain in his saddle unless the others feel like dismounting at this time.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Dirnhael looked to Durgil, noticing that the young noble had turned his head slightly at the mention of the word "Sagath".
They locked eyes for a moment, knowing that this would be discussed further soon enough.

OOC: Dirnhael will wait until he is introduced by Fengel before dismounting. In the meanwhile, he can't resist a smile upon seeing his Eothraim friend happy again for a moment.

tomcat

Feb 27, 2007, 10:51 AM #10 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007, 11:31 AM by tomcat
Fengel was immediately aware of a problem when Bragos' body tensed at his embrace - the man was holding back for some reason.

Bragos did put a hand on the younger Éothraim's shoulder and in a whispered voice, "I know nothing of your sister Fengel... only that your home was abandoned soon after the Sagath crossed the river and took up holding of the land between the Donu and the Dinvuld Hills. They came under the banner of a fearsome leader named Harizän and drove many of our folk west into the hills and beyond."

The elder gritted his teeth, "Harizän the Easterling holds the lands surrounding Ilanin and south through our vale. He has driven the younger of our folk that have strength of arm from the area or taken them prisoner, leaving the elders and the children to keep the land." The Company now realized that the bulk of the villagers were of age or very young. Bragos finished his thoughts, "It is rumoured that many of our folk retreated to the keep of Thergas in the hills to the west - perhaps your sister is there."

OOC: On the map above, the area shaded in red represents the stretch of the Sagath invasion under Harizän the Easterling. Understand that Ilanin is normally inhabited by Sagath, Dorwinrim, and even Éothraim, although the first and the last do not tend ot get along. They will endure one another to trade goods, but that is about it.

Ilanin has served as a central trading town for many generations and has been under various rule by either side.

Palandil

Fengel looked deep into Bragos' eyes, his own narrowing.  He leaned closer to Bragos, "I suppose there may be some here that would not approve of you talking with me then."  Stepping back a little, he says in a louder voice, "Bragos, you have known my father longer than I have lived.  Will you not at least invite my company and I to your home for a meal before we move on!"  He turns to his friends and gives them a concerned look as he places his hand on the hilt of Cerduil.

sdrotar

Dirnhael's momentary happiness faded as he saw Fengel stiffen and his move his hand oh-so-subtly towards his blade - something was obviously wrong.
He shuffled about on top his mount, making ready to draw Vorandur at a moment's notice.

To his understanding, Fengel's people were friendly enough; salt-of-the-earth types in contrast to the more urbane dwellers of cities like Fornost. As a man with feet now in both worlds, he had looked forward to some time with Fengel's people, away from the politics and prevarication of nobles.

Perhaps it was not to be after all, he thought.

Stefan

Nain listened to the humans talk.  He had very little interest in what they were talking about other than the concern he had for his friends family.  "Friend" was a word that he was just recently coming to term with using in reguard to these humans and it still felt a little od for him when i thought it.  They'd saved his life and he'd done his best to repay the favor over the last few months.  It had been a hard journey and didn't look to be over any time soon.  But to call a non-Dwarf a friend was something that he'd never considered.  He pondered that thought as the humans chatted with their Kin.  He did notice Fengel's hand moving toward the hilt of his sword though.  These people didnt look like they'd be any trouble but he looked around and prepared himself for the worst just in case.

BrianM

OOC I'm afraid I'm going to be out of touch for a few days. Work is nuts this week and I'm also preparing a trilogy of LotR modules to run at a local convention this coming weekend. I'll jump online when I can - back again full time on Monday. Feel free to add any comments for Edrahil between now and then.