• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 02:56 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

New Neighbors

Started by tomcat, Feb 10, 2007, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The companions ran out into the moonlit night and strained their eyes in the direction that Edrahil pointed, trying to discern the fell-beasts. Durgil climbed up the low wall of the house and onto the roof, the noble hoping that the wooden supports would hold him. The others fanned out a few yards from the structure, weapons at the ready.

Soon the wargs revealed themselves as they crested the low lying hills just to the west. The lead warg was massive in the dark and his eyes maintained the glow of the moon giving it an even more intimidating look. The three other wargs came up to stand beside the lead and there they stayed - none moved any closer to the house. The lead warg snarled and snapped at his comrades and then the creatures turned and began to lope back north.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: How far away are they?  Too far for a bow shot?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: The hilltop from the house falls within medium range Matt.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Feb 21, 2007, 08:16 AM #18 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2007, 05:06 AM by GandalfOfBorg
In a low voice to the others, "They look as though they are moving on?  Should we let them?"

OOC: If the answer is to let them go, Durgil keeps an eye on them until they are out of sight, otherwise he follows orders or...

Init - 7*+2=9
1) Aim - Lead warg
2) RC - 7*+11+2-2 Medium=18- darkness penalties
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 21, 2007, 08:16 AM
In a low voice to the others, "They look as though they are moving on?  Should we let them?"

In barely more than a whisper, Dirnhael said, "Let us wait and see. I suspect they have caught our scent, however, and even if they leave for the night, we will see them again..."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

"We should kill them before they bring more or warn whatever masters they may have that we are coming."

Nikitas

Galduir held his blade before him even though the Wargs were  moving on, "I'm with the dwarf, no Warg I have heard of would give up a meal so easily. We should finish them now that they are before our eyes."

tomcat

OOC: Understand that the horses are not saddled at this time, the gear being stowed in the house to keep it dry. It will take about 3-5 minutes for the mounts to be prepared, but the wargs are not running away at any great speed... more like they are just troting back north.

Let me know what you guys want to do.

I also need each character, including Edrahil, to make a Stamina test TN 12 to resist losing a weariness level.

sdrotar

Feb 22, 2007, 07:57 PM #23 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007, 08:00 PM by sdrotar
Dirnhael thought about what members of the Company had said. He also had no doubt that they would see these Wargs again - the battle was inevitable. But tracking the creatures in the dark held little appeal to him - he had no desire to follow them back to a lair with a dozen more of the vile beasts lying in wait with the blackness surrounding them.
Dirnhael was a confident man, but he had the Company to think about; he would not risk their lives unnecessarily on such an escapade.

But if they could bring the Wargs to them instead...

"Stoke the fire and make ready," he said. Looking to Edrahil, he said, "My friend, we may be able to use your light as well, if you are so prepared." He sheathed Vorandur and put his shield on his back, then took out his bow and stood alongside Durgil.

"Let us welcome them to the neighborhood," he said to the young man with a wolfish grin not unlike a Warg itself.

OOC: When the Company is ready, Dirnhael will fire (along with Durgil if he agrees) at the lead Warg, hoping to provoke it and it's companions into an attack on the emplaced Company.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Stamina test TN12
Roll(1d12)+6: 10+6=16

Gripping his axe just a little tighter so that the strain of the leather can be heard faintly in the night air Nain gives a nod.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Updated RC test with Medium distance penalty.

TN 12 Stamina - 8*+3=11 FAILURE, Durgil is Winded
RC -> 17-darkness penalties

Durgil rubs the sleep from his eyes, waits for Dirnhael to ready himself, then gives the nod to release.
Gwaithlim Weapons

BrianM

Feb 23, 2007, 09:23 AM #26 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2007, 01:26 PM by BrianM
OOC
Stamina Test TN12
Stamina+1, Resolute+1, Tireless +4
Roll(1d12)+6: 6,+6 Total:12

IC
The elf nodded to Dirnhael, indicating that he was ready. "Something seems odd with the behaviour of these beasts. I expected them to attack immediately. I fear that they are not the only servants of the Shadow in this place." Holding his sword before him, Edrahil prepared to summon his own light to combat the foul creatures.

OOC
modified the post due to the change in the Stamina roll - sorry I missed that

tomcat

OOC: Hey Brian, I adjusted your post... you may want to adjust Edrahil's dialogue. He passed his Stamina test.

Palandil

Stamina TN 12:
Sta+3; Tireless+4;
Roll(1d12)+7: 2,+7 Total:9  Hey I don't like rolling d12, I never seem to get decent rolls, and by decent I mean above 4.  What gives?

Fengel didn't think that these wargs had anything to do with his sister, but he did mean to claim his families land back.  And there is no place for wargs around his homestead.  Still a little tired, he stood by Dirnhael's side, ready to take on the beasts.

tomcat

The arrows of the warriors took flight into the moonlit sky and arced up, only to return back down towards the retreating wargs. Durgil was pleased to see the trailing warg trip sideways and turn about with a snarl. It snapped at its hind quarters, and though the Dúnadan could not see the protruding arrow from so far away, he knew that one of their missiles had struck true. The two men of Arnor quickly nocked a new arrow to string and let fly another volley. They would rain down on the wargs until they decided to turn and fight or drive them off completely.

In the distance, the great warg leader turned and bared his large teeth towards the Men, Elf and Dwarf; the moon glinting in his eyes and casting an evil stare. It sniffed at the air and drew in heavy the scent of these interlopers.

"No," it thought, "I will not forget you."

It raised its massive head and howled towards the moon, its sorrowful voice carrying over the plain to Dirnhael. To the warrior, he heard words whispered in the cry, "Death to you all!"

The lead warg snarled to his comrades and they began to run away from the incoming arrows - the wounded warg trailing behind with a faulty step.

OOC: Actions and/or Dialogue?