• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 06:32 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Stranger in his own land

Started by tomcat, Feb 25, 2007, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

OOC: Will do Brian. Thanks for letting us know and we'll see you next week.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Mar 01, 2007, 09:52 AM #16 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007, 09:56 AM by tomcat
Bragos gave a hesitant nod, but then smiled broadly at the man he knew as Halath's son, "Yes... come and break bread with us."

Around the Company, the tension seemed to ease a bit, although some folk still looked on the strangers with trepidation. The throng of people began to disperse a bit - some going back to their daily activities, while a few others joined Bragos in the procession towards the long house.

A heavy-set, bearded man of middle-age came to them and smiled. His hands were large and bore the scars that most smiths had and he asked, "If you will... I can take your mounts to the stables and see to feeding them."

Edrahil dismounted and patted his horse's mane, speaking a kind word in Sindarin. The animal raised and lowered its head and then followed the blacksmith. Together with his friends, the mage walked with Bragos into the large house. The structure was built of stone along its foundation and then wooden walls up to rafters covered with a thatched roof. It was open at one end and the light of day shone through multiple windows. Birds fluttered above and three large hounds rose as Bragos entered. With wagging tails, they came up to meet him, all the while sniffing at the strangers that had just arrived. The group took a seat around a long wooden central table and a woman came about to each of them and poured from a glazed clay pot into wooden cups, wine for each of them.

Bragos raised his cup, "Welcome to Buhr Donun Fengel, son of my old friend, and to all of your comrades. You have grown into a strong young man! It hangs heavy on my heart to find you back at this time when our lands lay under an invader's rule and for you to find your family home despoiled."

The people of Buhr Donun had slowly begun to gather about the room and the main porch of the long house. Fengel looked about them all and it seemed that their eyes held a look of hope when he caught their gaze. It was then that Fengel noticed that all of the onamentations and armaments that used to hang on the walls, proclaiming the house of Bragos, were gone.

OOC: Actions - and /or - Dialogue?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

Galudir raised his glass and then drank greedily from the cup. He then nudged the dwarf to his right and whispered, "The townsfolk seem to be the curious sort, like they haven't had any visitors for ages. Or at least, none they would welcome."

sdrotar

Mar 01, 2007, 08:11 PM #18 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007, 10:04 AM by sdrotar
After proper introductions were completed and the small talk concluded, Dirnhael spoke up.
"Invaders? Are these occupied lands?" He looked to Bragos as he spoke, but his gaze drifted back towards Fengel as well, hoping to see a glint of recognition in his friend's eyes. "We heard mention of the Sagath; who are they?"

OOC: Please disregard this post; Fengel covered the same ground, and it fits better in the narrative if he's doing the talking with his people, IMHO.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Quote from: tomcat on Mar 01, 2007, 09:52 AM
Bragos raised his cup, "Welcome to Buhr Donun Fengel, son of my old friend, and to all of your comrades. You have grown into a strong young man! It hangs heavy on my heart to find you back at this time when our lands lay under an invader's rule and for you to find your family home despoiled."
The people of Buhr Donun had slowly begun to gather about the room and the main porch of the long house. Fengel looked about them all and it seemed that their eyes held a look of hope when he caught their gaze. It was then that Fengel noticed that all of the onamentations and armaments that used to hang on the walls, proclaiming the house of Bragos, were gone.

"I have been gone since my father went to sleep with our forefathers.  I have seen and done much, but my heart grew more sick longing to return to my sister.  And now to find her gone and the lands of my fathers under the control of the Sagath."  Fengel's face expressed anger with the last statement.  Though his mind was perplexed with the circumstances he remembered that his friends needed to be introduced.
"Bragos, my manners aren't as they should be."  He places a hand on Dirnhael's shoulder, "This is Dirnhael, knight of Arthedain, my lord and friend." he finished with a smile.  Glancing toward the elf, "Edrahil, wielder of great power and compassion, hailing from his people of Lindon."  "Lord Durgil, son of Gelmir, aid to the King of Arthedain."  Fengel then looks at Nain, "And though he may not think so after my actions, this is Nain of the Blue Mountains and these are my friends, and companions."  Fengel, then realizes he did not introduce Gauldir, "Oh, and this is Gauldir who aided us in our time of need and fought along side us against trolls, proving his integrity.  He paused for a moment,  "Though I can not speak on their behalf, only on what I know of their character, we will find a way to free our people."  As he finished he looked around the room, his face resolute, then turning back to Bragos, "Tell me of this Harizan and how many men does he command?"

tomcat

Mar 02, 2007, 10:12 AM #20 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007, 03:36 PM by tomcat
Bragos looked to both Dirnhael and Fengel and answered their questions in turn, "It was two summer seasons past that the Sagath crossed the river in force. They skirted Dorwinion and using the Ilanin merchant roads, they raided north and south driving our folk before them... at least those that could run."

Another of the Éothraim spoke up, "The slaughter was unmerciful. Our bravest stood before them, but Harizän attacked with such speed that we could not organize our forces fast enough. The warriors were slain or driven west leaving the villages with women, children and elders at the mercy of the Easterlings."

"Not that we hold them to blame," interjected Bragos, "but we have wondered what council is being made at Thergas and in Burh Marhlinge and if Thuidmar has summoned the clans to war. All I do know is that the vale and north to Ilanin is under the tyranny of the Sagath and our youth and young woman have been taken as slaves."

The Éothraim elder noticed the questions still in Dirnhael's eyes, "Lord Dúnadan, the Sagath are from the east... called Easterlings by the men of Gondor. They are a cruel and barbaric folk often employing wains and chariots in war. They are akin with the folk of Dorwinion and leave them in peace, but they have been our enemies since my great-grandfather was a youth, and probably before then. To the south, our fellow clans are harrassed by the Asdriags but their folk is far fewer and any raids they make are for quick claim and not for land holding."

The other Éothraim that had spoken earlier replied to Fengel, "Harizän is a madman - a huge brute that slays all in his path. He is said to have over one hundred wains and three hundred warriors at his disposal. He resides across the river from Ilanin and it is from there that his men rally from and terrorize our lands. His lieutenant is another Easterling named Koskas, a wolfish looking man with a heart to match and it is he who primarily patrols the vale. There are about forty men that follow him and they say he speaks to wargs!" At that the man spat on the floor, "You say you saw wargs on the range last eve?"

Bragos nodded, "It would seem that you may have been discovered by Koskas' spies."

About the Company, woman and elders looked to one another with worry wondering what harm could befall Burh Donun for the hospitality they showed these strangers in their house.

Palandil

Fengel stood, "Then we shall make haste to Thergas and bring aid.  It is time for our people to stand together again against the Sagath!"  With that Fengel looked to Dirnhael and began to move through the crowd of people.  He stopped and turned again, "Thank you Bragos for your hopitality, I shall return with a force and a vengence!"

Fengel's pace did not slow as he reached the stable.  Within moments Heostor was saddled and Fengel swung upon the back of his friend.  "We shall ride swiftly, I fear we can not take long in returning here."  Looking back at the crowd that followed them to the stables, "Their lives depend on it!"

OOC: I suppose we can reach Thergas before evening?

sdrotar

It had all happened so quickly.
Dirnhael would assist Fengel, of course - he owed the man his life a half-dozen times over - but he did not know what the rest of Company would choose to do. They came to bid a friend goodbye, not start a revolution.

"No one here is bound to this quest," he said as Fengel scrambled to his horse. "If you choose to leave, to go where you will, no ill will be spoken of it."

He looked about and continued, "But fighting the many arms of the Shadow behooves us all; and to defend the Free Peoples here does nothing but strengthen the bonds between us."

They had defeated a dragon - surely, while this was not so... direct a charge, Dirnhael had faith that the fierce and proud people to Fengel's kin could be roused to extraordinary wrath - all they needed was hope.

Hope was Dirnhael's business in trade, a companion and willing partner to him throughout his voyages... and perhaps the return of a prodigal son - Fengel - would instill the courage necessary for the Eothraim to reclaim their lands for themselves.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Edrahil's face broke into a grim smile, "The situation at hand has stoked the fires of passion in our friend, Dirnhael... of course my road is with you."

The Sindar's eyes followed Fengel as he strode from the long house and again the vision of a young woman came to him, a large shadowed beast stooped over her. Edrahil broke his silence of his vision, "I fear that Fengel will not like what he finds at the end of this road of vengeance."

Palandil

Mar 02, 2007, 06:21 PM #24 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007, 06:28 PM by Palandil
Quote from: sdrotar on Mar 02, 2007, 01:23 PM
"No one here is bound to this quest," he said as Fengel scrambled to his horse. "If you choose to leave, to go where you will, no ill will be spoken of it."
He looked about and continued, "But fighting the many arms of the Shadow behooves us all; and to defend the Free Peoples here does nothing but strengthen the bonds between us."

Fengel stood tall in his saddle and looked at his friends.  "Dirnhael's words are true.  You all are my friends, and will always be.  If you decide that you must leave than I bid you farewell.  But,"  He pauses, "you will be missed.  You are all great warriors, but to fight without you at my side, I know not how I would fare.  We have been through so much together and I need you all now."  The tall horseman smiles broadly, "So ride with me to free my people!"  With that Fengel gave Heostor a good kick to which the strong dark horse responded, launching forward as thunder echoing across the plain.

OOC: Oh Tomcat, thanks for the full name of Fengel.  I love it, check my signature.

GandalfOfBorg

Upon hearing the elf's proclamation, Durgil whispers to him, "If our friend chooses the more difficult path of righteousness -- of defending his people -- above the easy road to hatred and vengeance, then I will not have that fear, my friend.  We will have to remain vigilant on his behalf."

Soon he is mounted, ready to ride for folly or fortune.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Nikitas

Fengel meant to start a war, or at least finish one, and that left Galudir ill at ease. The role of the mercenary was not unfamiliar to Galudir, but that sort of involvement was short and easily abandoned when necessary. This, on the other hand, would be much more demanding .Still, Galudir knew the only other option was to risk the long journey back to Eriador alone and that wars could still be profitable, especially because this Harizän must have collected a respectable amount of riches from years of raiding.

Thus, Galudir resolved to stay with the company. The rogue ran out, mounted his horse, and galloped after Fengel.

Stefan

Nain didn't run, nor Jump on Jethro.  He walked in the stately manner that behoved a dwarf, grumbling all the way that those humans and their rash decisions were going to get him killed yet.  He mounted Jethro and followed at a nice steady trot.  He'd been looking forward to spending a few days at the forge, this smith seemed an interesting man and might be able to learn a thing or two from a Dwarven smith.  He guessed now that his work would have to wait as he slowly caught up to the impetious humans.