• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 03:23 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Mines of Khazad-dûm

Started by tomcat, Jan 03, 2007, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jan 03, 2007, 06:16 PM Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:05 AM by tomcat
With mixed feelings, the Company entered the Dwarven realm of Khazad-dûm. Bori strode before them, leading the way for those who would make audience with the king in the coming days, while Galudir and Seriand watched them leave. The wagon would not be drawn into the mines, but the treasure would be loaded upon mules, which would take the same road as the companions who now were leaving. Along with the mules, the Company's horses would follow until they came at last to the other side of the mountain.

Inside the first chamber, stood immense statues of the kings of Moria, silently watching the entrance with grim faces - a warning to any that might come here with ill intentions. The companions marveled at the stone-work of the statues, simple, but of a size that gave wonder of the stout Dwarves' strength.

They passed under the eyes of rock and began to climb the stairs that rose beyond. There were no carpets, or any other ornamentations, but iron braziers protruded from the walls every 25 feet or so. In them, torches burned and fluttered as the wind drafted over them, while some sputtered out leaving larger areas of darkness and shadow. But Bori did not waiver in his course, having walked this route for almost a century and he knew every rut and groove in his path. Unfortunately, the companions did not and there was the occasional curse as a party member would trip and have to save themselves from falling, or would stub a toe.

At the top of the stairs, the landing was ornately carved and tiles were inlaid into the floor. The passage went left through a tall arching door and entered into a large chamber of columns. Inside the chamber, Dwarves milled about that looked as if they held ward duties of the western gate. The companions looked about in wonder and Bori saw their questioning eyes.

"This chamber is the Western Trading Hall – it is where our people and those of the outside world would haggle and barter. Long ago, the Elves of Eregion would come to trade their wondrous wares for those created by Dwarven hands. Now the chamber is used mostly to house door wards and for sparring." Bori cast a look that seemed to peer into the past, "Those were happier times."

He began to walk again, but continued his tour, "The Western Trading Hall is the furthest hall from the city proper that is shaped and decorated by my people. Past here, we shall be marching through the natural caves and mines for two days. Though we pride in our achievements, the working mines are not dressed like this chamber or the city itself and dangers do lurk. Beware of crevasses; they can appear beneath a stray step and you will be swallowed up by the earth, never again to be seen. Beware of the large cave rats, for though we try to eliminate them, the mines are vast and the creatures breed too quickly. Finally, ask before touching certain lichens and molds – some are deadly."

Bori's words made Edrahil feel even more uncomfortable. Though the Trading Hall was grand to see, still it was darker than what daylight would provide; it was damp and cool; and in many ways it felt to the Elf like the tombs that housed the Barrow-wights in the far-off Tyrn Gorthad. The Sindar would never verbally pose such a comparison for fear of offending their hosts, but still the feeling hung on him like a shroud.

Edrahil's mind wandered, as he marched along with his friends, thinking of long lost Menegroth and Nargothrond and how those great Elven realms were also built in large cavern complexes. He wondered how they would have appeared compared to what he had seen thus far of Khazad-dûm. Were they bright and airy? Warm? Surely King Thingol of the Sindar, who alone of his people had seen the Light of Aman, would not have lived in a cold and dark place. Surely he and Melian would not have chosen to raise the most fair of the First-born, Lúthien Tinúviel, in such a place.

"No," he thought. "They must have been grand indeed."

As if he had read the Elf's thoughts, Bori spoke out with pride. "Fear not, only the mines hold such a danger. When we arrive in the city you will know, for lights are kindled and it is a great beauty to behold! And there you shall see the greatest endeavours of my people."

The day passed in quiet, subdued, talk and incessant marching – the Men intrigued with most things that they saw. Both Dúnedain and the Éothraim questioned Bori, as they walked, about the great many machinations that they witnessed along the way. The Men were amazed at the long water troughs that were carved out of the stone, moving cool, clean water throughout the mines for the working Dwarves to drink. The stared in amazement at the airshafts that opened from the outside far above, which allowed fresh air into the depths of the mountain, and also light! Bori explained how within the shafts were placed many polished pieces of mirror that captured the light outside and then cast it down the winding way, until it finally arrived in the mines, lighting a tunnel or room.

Around the marching Company, Dwarves worked the mines, pushing carts of ore, or tapping with hammer and pick. Fearlessly the miners would step off ledges, or leave the path and go out over some crevasse, clinging to the wall by small leather straps that were tied off on spikes driven into the stone.

Nain appreciated the craft that he saw and he was greatly impressed. In his home within the Blue Mountains, the achievements of his kin could not compare and he grieved for a moment wishing that his brother would have had this opportunity as well. But then he realized, had it not been for the loss of brother he would not have met his comrades and thus never have been on this road. The irony was not lost on him.

At long last, Bori brought the Company into a chamber that stood off the main 'avenue' upon which they had spent the day marching. In the chamber were several squat, stone slabs topped with what appeared to be bolsters stuffed with hay. "We shall sleep here for the night," said Bori as he began to unload the gear that he carried. "We shall commence again in eight hours and shall reach the city by late day tomorrow."

Not too far away, Seriand and Galudir also came to a place of rest, but theirs was unfortunately within a stabling area for the mules and the ponies that the Dwarves employed within the mines. The Elf and Man had not had an easy time with their journey whatsoever, having had to first wait for the meticulous counting and packing of the treasures from the troll cave onto a series of pack mules. They then had t cajole the company's riding horses so that they would enter into the underground city.

Both tasks left the two travelers weary of mind and when they came to the stables, they were quite weary of body. As they settled down to rest, both wondered where and how their friends fared.

OOC: Hey all, I am sorry that they bulk of this travel is going to be narrative, but I never really had much planned right now for adventures in Khazad-dûm. Sorry especially goes out to Nain (Stefan) – I hope you weren't looking for more. Obviously we have more RP'ing to do with the Dwarven king and such; for now it is going to be a read along – with a little exception, please give me character interactions through narrative and dialogue.

If you guys want this trip to get a little more action oriented, say the word and I will introduce some new story arcs for you guys to act on.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

OOC: I'm sure there will be plenty of interaction when we get there, I've GM'd a game or two in my day and I know that sometimes there just has to be a travel montage :)

IC: Nain was not nearly so impressed by the water troughs and mine carts as were some of his non dwarven companions, but the sheer size of the mines had him gaping on several occasions.  When it came time to rest he was quickly removed his gear and jumped onto the hay mattress.  It was nice to have a soft bed and not to have to worry about a guard after being on the road. 

"Have ye got any beer or food before we bed down or were ya trying to slim us down for our chat with the King?"

GandalfOfBorg

Though the realm of Moria spread out into vast worked caverns, so vast in places the ends couldn't be seen, it nevertheless made Rochithuin skittish on more than one occasion.  Even with soothing her tempermental, Durgil was still impressed with the sights.  "The stories I've heard of dwarven craftmanship surely pale to what I have seen.  Your people certainly have more than a few eye-openers for sure."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Jan 05, 2007, 05:35 AM #3 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2007, 10:02 AM by tomcat
OOC: Just to keep you all in line with the story, the five company members with Bori are not dealing with the horses right now. The horses are being drawn through the mine by Seriand and Galudir and they are a few miles behind the main group. This was done because the animals will take special paths that accomodate them and also so you guys can meet the 4 day deadline to see the king.

An approving grunt was the only reply that Bori gave to Durgil, but the noble did not take it as a slight. The time that he had spent around Dwarves had taught him that their social manner was quite different than how he was used. They seemed, at times, as cold as the stone in which they dwelt.

To Nian's inquiry, Bori then replied, "There will be food and drink provided within the city. Here you will need rely on your own fare until we arrive. The mines are sparse in comforts and the miners that work here bring rations upon wains for the period of their work. Still, tomorrow's stop will have us closer to the commissaries and kitchens and you will have warm food then. Feel free to build a fire in this chamber if you need to cook anything."

Warmth was something that was deinitely in short supply. Although Nain and Bori did not appear to mind, the Men in the Company were beginning to feel the damp cold permeating their bodies as if to the bone. The marching they had done staved off the discomfort through the day, but now that they had stopped, it seemed all the more cold. Edrahil did not seem affected, though he was bothered by just being so far under the earth.

Yes, a fire would be a comforting thing for sure. Without any request from the others, Nain went about preparing the wood and kindling that lay stacked by the hearth.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

Survival:
1d12= 2
Perception (+1), Skill Rank (+2)
2+1+2= 5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galudir was exhausted from the travel, especially so because of tending to the anxious horses. When the traveling band finally came to rest, Galudir sluggishly moved to prepare a place to rest and a small fire for warmth. The damp air, however, proved impossible to negotiate. The rogue turned to Seriand and in a harsh tone, though in a whisper, said "Such generous hospitality. I wonder if the trolls would have been superior hosts."