• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 01:59 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

To heal relations...

Started by tomcat, Oct 17, 2006, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

OOC: With Durgil's success being so extraordinary, I am going to award a +7 instead of the +5 that I have on my chart. So, the Dunlending's disposition is now a +8 and the Hostility / Unfriendly penalty is now a -2 making anymore Persuasion tests a TN 3 and rather irrelevant. The Company may now enter the village accepted as healers and teachers.

Great job Matt!

The Company stood there waiting for some kind of reaction from Durgil's plea to aid these people, but the old man just stood there. Hurd, standing next to him, rattled off something in the Dunnish tongue and the elder replied, and then spoke again in the Westron tongue.

"He wonders what you bring... his wife has now taken ill as well, yet you returned his daughter. He wonders if you truly bring aid." The leader stood there trying to read Durgil, to see if there was anything in the noble that belied his spoken words, but nothing could be seen - he could only see truth in his eyes.

With a nod, and a sidewords statement to Hurd, the old man said, "Please... help us."

The crowd of Dunlending men separated as their leaders led in the Company and the litters bearing their fallen. Together they all strode across the field and into the town and there Elf, Men, and Dwarf saw to the healing of the sick as the days of spring passed.

OOC: All right everybody congratulations! We have come to the end of Chapter 8 and experience points shall be doled out. Feel free to add any final posts that you would like, but the actual mechanics of Edrahil healing these people, or teaching them, will be done through an introductory narrative to the next chapter. The only thing I want to know from you all is how philanthropic is the company and how long will you stay to lend a hand?

Although, I do want to work out the mechanics of Durgil and the plague that has taken a hold in him... as of the day the company rides into the settlement, Durgil would be overtaken by fevers and illness (+0 Vitality mod means the next day he would be sick). So I want that stuff rolled out before we move into the next chapter.

If you have an Advancement, please post your picks on this thread so that I can edit your character PDF's. You certainly can edit your online sheets. I will be adding to the Characters thread a table for XP like we had before, but your online character sheets will show it as well.

You guys have already tested to see if there was any corruption, but I am also awarding the following (I have added these to your online character sheets already):

Durgil - 2 renown, Edge: Friends (Dunlendings of north Hollin - limited to this tribe only)
Edrahil - 1 renown, Edge: Friends (Dunlendings of north Hollin - limited to this tribe only)
Dirnhael, Nain, Fengel, Seriand and Galudir - 1 renown

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Oct 22, 2006, 06:26 PM #16 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2006, 06:30 PM by tomcat
OOC: I am kind of worried about Durgil surviving this one... just looked over his stats and Courage availability.   :-\

As I said, the magic of Middle-earth is gonna step in a bit here on this one... so I am restoring some Courage. I wish you two luck on the rolls!

Here are the plague mechanics as a reminder.

PLAGUE MECHANICS:

After being infected, a charater or NPC will have a period of days equal to their Vitality modifier that the virus incubates. The Plague then causes the loss of Vitality until the person dies (at 0 Vitality), slowly weakening as it fills their lungs with fluids. Fevers are a symptom along with dehydration.

1) Sick character loses 1d3 Vitality per day, may make a Stamina Test TN 20 to negate the Vitality loss. Though they may successfully avert the loss, they are still carrying the sickness. The character may spend no more than half of his Courage points on any test. When a character is reduced to 0 Vitality, they expire.

2) Healers may make a Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15 per day, which grants:
- an additional Stamina Test TN 15 to avert that days Vitality loss; Though they may successfully avert the loss, they are still carrying the sickness.
- allows victim to make a Stamina Test TN 20 to rid themselves of the plague (see below*)
- sick character need only make one roll for both tests above and may apply results based upon the modified die roll
- If Healing test is a Superior Success, reduce above tests by 1
- If Healing test is a Extraordinary Success, reduce above tests by 3
- Each Healing test is a full days care

3) For each loss of 1/5 of a character's Vitality penalizes them 1 wound level

4) With Ephanial, all tests are reduced by 5; the Ephanial plant is brewed and administered as a broth

5) *The plague requires an extended Healing test to cure. When the Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15 test is successful and then the character makes the additional TN 20 Stamina test, if it also is successful, the character gains back 1 Vitality point. When the character has been restored to his original Vitality, he will be cured of the plague.

6) After being cured, the character needs to roll 1d3 and permanently reduce their Vitality. This is a 'scarring' from the disease.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: I can only assume that Edrahil is going to help, so I'll assume ephanial will reduce my TN to 15, unless otherwise changed.

TN 15 Stamina - 11*+3+3 Courage (2 left, I've marked it) = 17

As the day wears on with Edrahil tending to the sick, the rest sit with the elders discussing many matters.  Though now better accepted by the tribe, the some of the companions are still walk on eggshells and look slightly uneasy with the environs.  Just before the evening meal being prepared by the women of the village, Durgil, who had been feeling not quite right, is talking to one of the elders about how the sickness had invaded his land and the loss of his mother.  In moment of sudden dizziness, he staggers.  Barely catching himself in delerium, he thinks that this bout could be still from the trip and lack of food.  Edrahil comes over to him to check him out, but it is the elder that pronounces it, "So too has it gotten you, my friend."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Nain nods in response to Hurd's pointing and takes the litters with the bodies to the place where they will be prepared for burial. Not knowing their customs he is reticent to do more but he keeps watch over them till the humans come to deal with them to make sure that the predators and scavengers are detered.  Once the dead are buried Nain spends his days trying to help the people with crafting.  Teaching the people what he can and learning from them whenever possible.  The ways of the Dwarves were better, of course, but these people had some tricks that were interestingly different than what he knew.

OOC: Assist with/teach Crafting (Tailoring +8, Tanning +6, Brewing +6, Weaponsmithing +17 and Armorsmithing +13) and Stonecraft (Fortification) +13 to begin building a short wall around the town given time.

BrianM

Edrahil worked diligently, tending to the sick and at the same time teaching the village healer how to brew and administer the Ephanial plant. At the end of the first day of effort, the elf looked forward to a brief rest from his labour. He was satisfied with the effort, and new that many in the village would survive. Hopefully the spread of the disease could be prevented. It was then that Durgil was brought to the hut where the sick were being housed. As soon as Edrahil saw the fever, he knew that the young Dunadan had been infected. The irony was not lost on him that it was Durgil's influence that had alowed them back into the village to tend to the sick.

Thoughts of rest aside, Edrahil prepared to use all of his skill to save his friends life.

[ooc]

Tending Durgil

Cast Healing spell ...
Willpower Test TN 10
Willpower +3, Resolute +1, Strong-willed +2, The Art +2
Roll(1d12)+8: 7,+8 Total:15 (success)

Stamina test for Healing Hands ability ...
Stamina Test TN ??
Bonus +1, Resolute +1, Tireless +4
Roll(1d12)+6: 1,+6 Total:7 (hmmm ... I assume this fails)

And finally, the Healing test ...
Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15
Bonus +8, Healing Hands +5, Spell +8, Ephanial +5
Roll(1d12)+26: 6,+26 Total:32 (extraordinary success)

[ic]

The effort of tending Durgil was great, and the weariness showed on Edrahil's face when he was done. There was nothing else the elf could do this day. Placing a hand on Durgil's forehead, he said, "Rest now, my friend. You are strong and you will defeat this, just as you have vanquished so many foes before." With that, Edrahil rose and left the hut.

He walked from the village back to the fountain created by his kin so long ago. There he sat and meditated, allowing the place to heal his own wearied body.

sdrotar

Dirnhael had seen Edrahil's gifts many times before, but they never ceased to amaze him. As the days went by, the bleakness that had surrounded the village seemed to fade, and the colors of hues of the land of Hollin returned along with their spirits.

He had grown very concerned about Durgil, and visited as he rested often. He could not imagine what he would say to Ioreth when he returned, if he did so without her dear brother...

Curiously, the Dunedain struck an odd kinship with Hurd, and the two warriors sparred from time to time, each teaching the other from their experience. The Dunmen may not have been as civilized as those in Fornost, but they were people of the earth; people that Dirnhael could relate to.

He was comfortable waiting until Durgil was hale again before they left. Besides, they had made friends - and friends in these days were hard to find.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: If I understood correctly, the next Stamina TN will be
20 - 5 Ephanial - 3 Healing Extraordinary success = 12

TN 12 Stamina - 6*+3+3 Courage = 12

The night passes with Durgil haunted by turbulent dreams -- memories of his mother dying, finding the sick and dead Dunlendings, thoughts of his father and sister.  When morning broke, so did the illness within Durgil.

OOC: If not, the bell has begun to toll.
1d3 - 3 Vitality lost
2 or 3 Wound Levels lost, depending on how you round.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

OOC: I am going to interpret the rolls here in orderso that we can see how Durgil fares...

1) Sick character loses 1d3 Vitality - Durgil rolled: 1d3 - 3 Vitality lost, 2 or 3 Wound Levels lost, depending on how you round.

2) Characters may attempt a TN 20 Stamina test to avert the loss, Ephanial will be counted to reduce test to TN 15 - Durgil rolled: TN 15 Stamina - 11*+3+3 Courage (2 left, I've marked it) = 17 SUCCESS (no Vitality loss above)

3) Healers may make a TN 10 Healing (Treat Sickness) test (Ephanial reduces test by 5), this either gives another opportunity for the character to make Stamina test above or to rid himself of the sickness altogether - Edrahil rolled:

Cast Healing spell ...
Willpower Test TN 10
Willpower +3, Resolute +1, Strong-willed +2, The Art +2
Roll(1d12)+8: 7,+8 Total:15 (success)

Stamina test for Healing Hands ability ...
Stamina Test TN 8
Bonus +1, Resolute +1, Tireless +4
Roll(1d12)+6: 1,+6 Total:7 (hmmm ... I assume this fails)

And finally, the Healing test ...
Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 10
Healing +8, Specialty +2, Spell +8
Roll(1d12)+18: 6,+18 Total:24 (extraordinary success)

4) Durgil may now roll TN 15 Stamina test to rid himself of the plague - he rolls: If I understood correctly, the next Stamina TN will be
20 - 5 Ephanial - 3 Healing Extraordinary success = 12

TN 12 Stamina - 6*+3+3 Courage = 12 SUCCESS

So... all of my fears were for naught! After a feverish day, Durgil would wake the following day feeling a bit weak still but under no threat of the plague taking him! Very  nice work guys!
  ;D

tomcat

OOC: All right... feel free to add any last posts to this chapter that you would like, but I will have the new chapter up tomorrow. Galudir may be a character that needs a little spotlighting as to why he may wish to follow the Company first to Khazad-dum and then on to Wilderland. Of course, money could be that very reason...   ;D

Nikitas

OOC: Yeah, I can't think of anything to add to the end of the chapter. I have been wondering about the Galudir thing, and I suppose in the short term he would follow the company to see if they will pay him. Maybe along the way he will develop other loyalties to keep him around.

GandalfOfBorg

The elders, seeing the courage the companions had to bring back the sick villagers under threat of violence and pestilence, grew to appreciate the fortune of the encounter a few days ago.  The ill feelings of what had traspired had all but washed away.  It took another day or so for Durgil to completely recover, giving the group time to get to know the Dunlendings better (and vice versa) along with deciding what to do now, especially where it concerned the newcomer.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

QuoteIt took another day or so for Durgil to completely recover, giving the group time to get to know the Dunlendings better (and vice versa) along with deciding what to do now...

OOC: Actually this brings up a hitch before I can type up the first post for the next chapter... what does the Company want to do now? Head for Khazad, take the mountain pass, or continue south to the Gap of Calenardhon (Rohan)? I know that you all wna tot pay respects for Lunduf, but what is the path of choice after that? I am assuming that it is through Khazad-dum (grumble grumble... never been good about describing Dwarf realms  :D ) so let me know please.

Doug

Wiseman

Seriand's previous transgressions were enough to convince him that he, and the rest of the company, would be better served by him keeping his distance from the community, particularily Hurd...

Once it was obvious that relations had been peaceably established the elven scout stealthily snuck out of the village and spent the next few days (weeks? how long do we stay?) in the forest surrounding the village.  Every waking moment was spent looking for signs of the Enemy that he had been hunting for the better part of his adult life.

The woods were difficult to read to the untrained eye but Seriand had spent nearly his entire life in wooded areas and he was able to keenly search about them without disturbing much, and that is exactly what he did, wander through the nearby woods searching for any sign that the Enemy was, or ever had been, nearby.

tomcat

OOC: Welcome back Shawn! Long time no see...

Seriand would definitely find ancient evidence of the Enemy, from the battles of Eregion.

Wiseman

OOC: I'm trying to be available.  Works been interesting as of late.

Would Seriand find anything fun or of value? :)