• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 09:33 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

To heal the sick

Started by tomcat, Oct 12, 2006, 06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Oct 12, 2006, 06:27 AM Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 09:18 AM by tomcat
OOC: Hey Nikitas, just wanted to answer your question from the prior thread... I always want you to roll because I am using a house rule that states if you roll a natural 1, then you must roll a 1d3 (d6 divided by two) and subtract that from your roll. For each, 3 rolled (natural 6), you'd rol another d3 and reduce it... etc. This could potentially turn a guaranteed success into a failure. Read the House Rules under the Rolling a natural 1on Die Roll.

Stefan, to build the fire wil only require a TN 5 so you made it no problem.

The Company began to tend to the Dunlendings, both dead and alive.

Edrahil and Dirnhael went about collecting the Ephanial blooms while Nain and Galudir built a fire, and Durgil, Seriand and Fengel saw to carrying the bodies out of the Elven home and up the stairs. The task proved the most harrowing.

A pot of the fresh pool water was set over the fire and Edrahil slowly separated the blossoms, taking care not to bruise the petals. When steam rose from the boil, the mage dropped the Ephanial in and let them brew. A rich, pleasant, and re-vitalizing smell began to permeate the small grotto-like area and the Company saw the sick folk respond immediately. They all seemed to relax, and their shaking tremors subsided.

After a good hour of boiling, Edrahil strained out what remained of the flower petals and took the brew to each of the three survivors. The sun rose over the small valley and began to set on its western side as the Elf worked diligently in trying to save his charges.

OOC: Healing tests needed --

There are three sick Dunlendings:
a youg girl with Vitality 4 (7) and Stamina +1 - considered Wounded
a teen boy Vitality 3 (9) and Stamina +2 - considered Incapacitated
and a mid-aged woman Vitality 1 (8 ) and Stamina +1 - considered Near Death

The second number in parenthesis are the original attribute scores The Vitality levels are before the day's 1d3 loss. Your healing tests may negate the following losses and give them an additional stamina check.

Young Girl: Roll(1d3)+0: 2,+0 Total:2
Teen Boy: Roll(1d3)+0: 3,+0 Total:3
Mid-aged Woman: Roll(1d3)+0: 2,+0 Total:2

I need Edrahil to make 3 Healing (Treat Sickness) tests TN 15; he gets a +5 to his roll to account for the use of Ephanial. If successful, the Dunlendings will then make Stamina tests to avert the day's 1d3 lost Vitality, and to potentially gain back 1 Vitality to beat the plague.

If Edrahil's Healing test is a Superior Success or Extraordinary, the Dunlendings will garner a +1 or +3 bonus to their Stamina tests respectively. They also benefit from the +5 Ephanial bonus.

All other characters may give me Actions - and/or - Dialogue as you please.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

Once the Ephanial is prepared, Edrahil sits quietly for a few minutes, appearing to gather his thoughts before attempting the task ahead. The elf then closes his eyes, and mumbles words under his breath while making gentle gestures with his hands.

[ooc]
Cast Healing spell ...
Stamina Test TN 10
Bonus +1, Resolute +1, Tireless +4
Roll(1d12)+6: 10,+6 Total:16
[/ooc]

Following his incantation, Edrahil's companions sense a calm and purpose about him that goes beyond the norm. He begins his work with the young girl, administering the Ephanial to treat her sickness. He then proceeds to the boy and finally the woman.

[ooc]
Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15 (young girl)
Bonus +8, Healing Hands +5, Spell +8*, Ephanial +5
Roll(1d12)+26: 3,+26 Total:29

Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15 (boy)
Roll(1d12)+26: 5,+26 Total:31

Healing (Treat Sickness) TN 15 (woman)
Roll(1d12)+26: 12,+26 Total:38

* not sure how many patients this will apply to ... please adjust results if required
[/ooc]

tomcat

Oct 12, 2006, 09:28 AM #2 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 09:44 AM by tomcat
 OOC: Hey Brian, great rolls!  ;D

But I want to make a couple corrections:

• First, in our game, we are using Willpower as the reaction that determines Magic success, failure and Weariness. You roll it just the same and apply the same affects if failed. So, in Edrahil's case the bonus would be:

Willpower +3, Resolute +1, Strong-willed +2, The Art +2 = +8

So the spell cast would be successful with an 18 total.

• Second, if you are going to use the Healing Hands trait when rolling your heal tests, I need a Stamina test to resist weariness based on the wound level of sickness for each Dunlending. (I edited my first post above to show the Wound level for each of the three sick people).

Each test will have a different TN and effects are cumulative, so if you fail the first Stamina test, you would need to add the Weariness penalty to your next Heal test rolled, plus its corresponding Stamina test.

SEE ATTACHED...

Any questions, give me a shout.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

Oct 12, 2006, 10:16 AM #3 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 10:18 AM by BrianM
OOC

ok just so I understand, here are the Stamina rolls I must make (and the Weariness I suffer if I fail):
woman TN 18, 3W
boy TN 16, 2W
girl TN 14, 2W

Sooo ... Edrahil will heal the patients in the same order ... he uses Healing Hands on the little girl, so the result remains the same.

Stamina Test TN 14
Bonus +1, Resolute +1, Tireless +4
Roll(1d12)+6: 4,+6 Total:10

Edrahil is now Tired (-2), and is worried about the prospects for his other patients, so he does not use the Healing Hands trait again.

Therefore the result for the boy becomes 31 -5 (no HH) -2 (Tired) = 24
and the result for the woman becomes 38 -5 (no HH) -2 (Tired) = 30

make sense?

BTW do I get to add another roll to the result for the woman because I rolled a 12 the first time?

Cheers,
Brian

GandalfOfBorg

"Let's make some litters so that we may transport the bodies back to the Dunlending village.  (OOC: I assume there must be some conifer trees about)  Lacking anything to cover the bodies with, I suppose we could use some tree boughs instead," suggests Durgil to Fengel and Seriand.

OOC: How long would it take to take the remains of the deceased back to the village?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

BrianM

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 12, 2006, 10:37 AM
OOC: Yes... like the cascading d6 on a resut of 12 in the original rules, we will cascasde the additional d6's on a natural 12.

Adjust your roll as you want, but as you can see... your rolls were very well done to exceed the TN.

OOC

ok, so just for completeness, I can add an additional d6 to the test result for the woman:
Roll(1d6)+0: 1,+0 Total:1

Woo hoo! ;)

Therefore, the end result of the test for healing the woman is 31, rather than 30.

Cheers,
Brian

tomcat

Oct 12, 2006, 11:47 AM #6 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 11:51 AM by tomcat
OOC: Yes... like the cascading d6 on a resut of 12 in the original rules, we will cascasde the additional d6's on a natural 12.

Adjust your roll as you want, but as you can see... your rolls were very well done to exceed the TN.

That being said, I am going to roll the sick folk's Stamina tests to see if they avoid their Vitality loss for this day and also to see if they garner 1 Vitality point back. Each patient recieves a +3 for Edrahil's rolls (boy gets a +1), plus a +5 due to Ephainal brew. Tn's are as follows, but will be determined by the same dice roll - a TN 15 success will avert any lost Vitality for this day, a TN 20 success will restore 1 Vitality point. They all have 4 Courage to spend, but may only spend a max of 2 on any one test.

Little Girl (Stamina +1, Wounded -5, Edrahil +3, Ephanial +5) -  Roll(1d12)+4: 7,+4 Total:11 +6 (2 Courage) = 17 SUCCESS
Teen Boy (Stamina +2, Incapacitated -7, Edrahil +1, Ephanial +5) - Roll(1d12)+1: 8,+1 Total:9 +6 (2 Courage) = 15 SUCCESS
Mid-age Woman (Stamina +1, Near Death -9, Edrahil +3, Ephanial +5) - Roll(1d12)+0: 5,+0 Total:5 FAILED

Little Girl and Teen Boy evade Vitality loss; the Mid-age woman dies.

sdrotar

Oct 12, 2006, 12:53 PM #7 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 03:26 PM by sdrotar
Dirnhael gently closed the eyes of the woman, and looked to Edrahil with a nod. The Elf had done his best, but some things in this world were simply beyond repair. He lifted the woman's body and stepped outside to take it to Durgil, planning to help with whatever the young noble needed.

They had come full circle, he mused.

Glancing at the field of flowers in bloom as he walked, memories flooded his mind. The village at Tharbad. Celephain. Their Elven guide, Mirimon, who perished amidst the healing flora. Angbor, lost in his greatest failure, though Dirnhael realized that Angbor's life and fractured psyche resembled what he had thought about the woman he held in his arms.

"Some things in this world are simply beyond repair," he whispered.

He hoped that this land was not among them.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

BrianM

Edrahil watched his friend carry away the deceased woman, a look of despair on his face. "If only I could have done more ...". The elf then turned to his remaining two charges. Despite how tired he was feeling, Edrahil was determined that they would not join the others. He set about making them more comfortable, hoping that the Ephanial would continue to do it's work.

tomcat

Oct 12, 2006, 07:46 PM #9 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006, 07:50 PM by tomcat
OOC: Awesome posts guys... really great to read this stuff daily !  :D

Those healing tests took the rest of that day. You guys would have been able to build your litters and cover the bodies with fir branches.

The sick people are not really stabilized, but they survived the day fortunately. I need to know how many days you guys want to stay to work on the sick, or if you want to transport them now.

Let me know the plan...

Doug

BrianM

Oct 13, 2006, 07:35 AM #10 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006, 07:46 AM by BrianM
OOC
In Edrahil's opinion, is it safe to transport the two that are still alive? He will weigh this against the fact that they stand a better chance of getting better if they could be treated indoors in the village. Edrahil also is aware that there may be others who are ill in the village who may need assistance.

Palandil

Seeing these Dunlendings that perished by the same sickness that ravaged his own people, Fengel began to see them through different eyes.  He began to feel sorrow for their loss, and hoped that this gesture of Durgil's would mend their differences.  He thought of the huge warrior that had such anger for he and his companions.  "He was just frustrated that he could not help his people and needed someone to blame." he thought to himself.

tomcat

Oct 13, 2006, 11:06 AM #12 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006, 11:11 AM by tomcat
Quote from: EdrahilOOC: In Edrahil's opinion, is it safe to transport the two that are still alive? He will weigh this against the fact that they stand a better chance of getting better if they could be treated indoors in the village. Edrahil also is aware that there may be others who are ill in the village who may need assistance.

OOC: Hey Brian, the two survivors have been stabilized for this day. Obviously, they will have to make a Vitality roll tomorrow as well (each day until they recover or perish), but yes, they could be moved. I will not extend anymore penalties to them due to the movement. And the Elf is right, there are a lot more sick in the settlement - 9 more to be exact. Enough litters have been prepared to carry the dead on three, and the two sick on one. One good thing for the Company, and the sick people, is that you all will get a Courage back for another day's passing.

Finally, I will need all the non-Elf characters to make me a TN 10 Stamina test to resist the infection of the disease themselves. Fengel and Seriand also need to make a Willpower test TN 10 to resist Corruption; Galudir and Dirnhael need to make a Willpower test TN 8 to resist Corruption. The Corruption tests are for taking a hostage when escaping the Dunlending settlement. I have no prolem if you wait until the 'morning' so that your characters have an additional Courage available.

[EDIT] I was going to wait until the end of the Chapter for the Corruption test, but I do not wat to forget so I am doing it now. Also, I updated your character sheets for health point recovery and Courage.

GandalfOfBorg

Oct 13, 2006, 12:38 PM #13 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2006, 10:35 AM by tomcat
TN 10 Stamina - 1*+3=4  -1 = 3 COMPLETE FAILURE [Edit] Remember to roll the cascading d3 (d6/2) when you roll a natural 1, and reduce your test results
Loss of 1d3 Vitality = 2 (1d6/2) [Edit] this roll is not necessary until your Vitality modifier in days pass... during this time you will be getting feverish and nauseous

Durgil doesn't feel so well.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

BrianM

Oct 13, 2006, 01:54 PM #14 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006, 01:57 PM by BrianM
Edrahil carefully picked up the young girl in his arms. "These two are still in serious condition, but they will not worsen if we move them. There are likely others in the village that have succumbed to the plague as well. I suggest we get these two there as soon as we can, with enough Ephanial to treat them and anyone else who may be afflicted." The elf added as he walked towards the stairs leading to the horses, "We must be careful to leave enough plants so that they will replenish themselves. In these times this small grove is very precious."

OOC How long will it be before symptoms are noticed if any of the party catch the disease?