• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 08:42 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Mountain pass

Started by tomcat, Apr 09, 2006, 11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The land around the riders began to rise as they climbed once more into the foothills of the mountain range before them. It also became more steep and they needed to slow their pace to pick routes that were safe for both beast and man. Rocks clattered down as the hooves of the horses shifted any loose and slipping became a very real threat. Still, the need to move was imperative and so Nain now led them with a keen Dwarven eye for stone and path. The peaks that they were crossing were but a shadow in height of the Misty Mountains to their east, but they still posed enough of a challenge for Dirnhael to hope that the Dwarves of Khazad-dum would allow them to pass.

It had been two days since their encampment on the hill and nothing had been seen of any Orcs or Wargs. The cooler cloud front had hung on the west side of the mountains and had at last released the rains that they held, but the following morning had opened bright and clear with everything refreshed and clean.

The Company had stuck to their plan and had used the land to their advantage, though it had slowed them down some. They rode past the first Holly tree for which this land was named and it brought a smile to Edrahil's face. The sun was setting in the west and the Sindar turned to Dirnhael, "Maybe we should make camp here? It is getting on to dusk and we will certainly need the better part of tomorrow's sun to finish the crossing of this spur. What say you all?"

OOC: What would you like to do? If you want to push on, you probably have another hour and a half of good sunlight. Any other actions?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Is there a place that looks defensible by such a small group?

If so...

IC: "How about over there?" Durgil suggests.  "It looks safer than most, especially if we are being followed."

OOC: Otherwise...

IC: "I think we should push on," suggests the young Dunedain, "until we find a more suitable location lest we are besieged in the night."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Wiseman

OOC: Seriand will wait and see if they can find a right good place for us to defend.

tomcat

OOC: The area about the holly tree is very open and would not give any advantage in defense. So I will assume that the Company will move on until a location can be found - I will post it in the morning.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

OOC: Going with the assumption that everyone agrees with Durgil and the Company moves on...

It was not much longer on their march that the path they followed led them into the first mountainous valley, the sides of the pass rising steep on either side. Large boulders and scrub barred their path and they zig-zagged about as the shadows grew from the oncoming night. There was no evident path, but the Company knew that they were going south by the placement of the setting sun. They only hoped that the road they made did not lead into a dead end or some other danger.

Weariness was starting to settle on them when Seriand noticed the 'shelf'. The cliff on the right had a flat length that climbed up about forty-five feet to a level area only to come back down on the opposite side. It was bare to the elements but offered only two access points... easy to defend or easy from which to escape. The position did not expose itself to missile fire from above, only below, and all of the Company knew the difficulty of archery from a disadvantageous position.

OOC: Actions? Decisions? Also, I will need the following tests from either all or the individual:

Lore/Realm (Eregion) TN 18 - any character*
Siegecraft TN 10 to form up a defendable position on the flat - Any character
Survival TN 15 to set a camp and discrete fire (fuel will need to be collected) - Any character**

*I will allow anyone with the skill Lore/Realm to to make this test to make sure you are reading the mountains right and following a wise path (not coming to oft to any dead-ends). Having the Eregion specialty will garner the +2 bonus.

**Any character collecting fuel will need to make an Observe (Spot) test TN 17

Wiseman

Apr 10, 2006, 05:37 PM #5 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006, 07:11 AM by Wiseman
"A suitable position for our purposes."  The elf says as he points to the obvious locale he was speaking of.  "I will setup camp but we will need firewood."  Assuming that everyone agreed with him Seriand merely spurred on his faithful horse and giving him a smooth pat on the neck he moved to the area and began his setup.

Survival: Roll(2d6)+10: 4,4,+10 Total:18

sdrotar

OOC: I'm assuming that neither my Unit Leadership specialty or Vorandur's bonus are applicable here...

--Siegecraft +2 (TN 10)
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,4,+2 Total:9 - FAIL
OOC: I hate burning a Courage Point here, but if no else succeeds, I'll do it - gotta be safe!. Unless, of course, my Unit Leadership specialty does apply... ;)

--Survival (Field) +8 (TN 15)
Roll(2d6)+8:6,4,+8 Total:18 - SUCCEED

--Observe (Spot) +6 (TN 17)
Roll(2d6)+6:5,4,+6 Total:15 - SUCCEED
OOC: If no one else passes this test, I will spend a Courage Point to pass it - Dirnhael definitely wants to know what's going on out there...

--Lore (Realm) +7 (TN 18)
Roll(2d6)+7:4,5,+7 Total:16 - FAIL

Dirnhael set to work on a camp. He was pleased that they had found such a defensible site - even if it was for only an evening. He was sure they were still being pursued, and even a single more fitful night of rest would help the Company immeasurably. As he gathered wood for a modest fire, he looked out upon the quiet expanse below him. It was lovely, he thought... and then he saw - or thought he saw - something...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

TN 18 Lore: Realm - (6+5)+5=16 FAIL
No Siegecraft
TN 15 Survival - (6+2)+1=9 FAIL

OOC: Durgil is much better at taking care of himself than a whole group ;)

-------------
With everything else in hand by others, Durgil takes to scouting the area, looking for possible places where an enemy could assail the group, aside from the sky above.

OOC: He doesn't have Siegecraft, what other tests would you find applicable?

Gwaithlim Weapons

Stefan

Looking across the flat plain no place appeared that would shelter the party.  Jethro plodded along, tired from the day's journey.  Once the humans figured out where the camp would be Nain planned on having a fire.  Something small but enough to warm them and cook some food.

Survival (fire starting)
Roll 2d6 (3,5) +2, +2 (dwarf coolness) =11 +3 (courage)=15 Success

tomcat

Apr 11, 2006, 07:21 AM #9 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006, 07:31 AM by tomcat
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 11, 2006, 04:28 AMOOC: He doesn't have Siegecraft, what other tests would you find applicable?

OOC: Hey Matt, I do not want to 'squeeze' other skill types into the test I am looking for; this is only because I want to add incentive to you guys to remember the other skills that you may not use as often, but still could be worth a future Advancement pick. What I will do is give an affinity bonus of +1 to the Seigecraft test for everyone who attempts it - this comes from your group's combined Armed Combat knowledge and how each of you would have a general idea of how to best defend the position. So, what this will do is give Dirnhael a +1 to make his roll a 10 which passes his test and saves him a Courage expense.

The horses were led up the slope and a camp began to take shape. With one of his tools, Nain dug into the rocky soil to form a hollow in which to shelter the light from the fire, but give the Company the needed heat and cooking potential. Fengel saw to the mounts along with Seriand while Dirnhael and Edrahil wlaked back down the grade to collect any loose wood that could be found. The tree growth was sparse but perhaps the scrub plants, which had thorny wood branches, would make for a good fuel. Durgil continued up the path a ways to secure the surrounds, his bow in hand and his eyes scanning both sides of the vale from bottom to top.

Edrahil and Dirnhael talked softly as they moved about the cluttered valley floor, occasionally reaching down for broken pieces od kindling, or working hard to snap off any dried out branches from the plants. It proved more difficult than either expected and the Sindar wondered if they had made a mistake by entering the mountains without ample supplies - such as firewood. It was only April... the mountains could still be fierce with frigid air and snow.

Dirnhael saw the movement before he heard the sound... he was bent at the waist reaching down for some wood and the viper was but two feet from his exposed hand and arm. It had been laying across a rock warming itself in the failing sunlight, almost invisible as its colors blended to its surrounds. Now the pit viper was coiled back on itself in a stance ready to strike... an attack that the Dunadan could most likely not evade. The reptile seemed a little sluggish, perhaps affected by the oncoming cool of night, but Dirnhael did not want to take the chance. He went frozen as he watched the snake through his peripheral vision, hoping that Edrahil, who stood no more than five feet from him, saw it too.

OOC: First of all, I do not want to hear any comments on snakes out in April in the mountains... ;D I know it wouldn't be the optimum time for them :P, but I wanted to allow the natural world to be as dangerous a part of your travel as the Enemy, and I didn't want to wait until June in our game! ;D Besides, who knows... this little vament may be driven by the great Eye of Mordor itself!!! ;D

Actions?

Palandil

Apr 11, 2006, 09:24 AM #10 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006, 09:50 AM by Palandil
After caring for the companies horses, Fengel walks over near Nain and watches in amazement at the fire skills of the dwarfs.  His mind brought images of his good friend Lunduf, and a chuckle escaped him as a good memory resurfaced.  He hoped that he and Nain might become good friends before their journey ends.  "Let me help prepare our camp Nain."  he says as he begins to help build a pit for the fire.
Survival (Mountains)
Roll(2d6)+5: 1,3,+5 Total:9 +2 courage = 15 SUCCESS

After the camp had been set Fengel decided to make use of the extra longsword, and now seemed a good time to practice his sword skills.  He drew Cerduil and the other weapon and began some swinging excersises and stances.  It was a bit awkward at first but he soon felt comfortable holding the two at least.  Although his left arm and wrist began to ache a little, he continued for a while longer.

sdrotar

Apr 11, 2006, 10:54 AM #11 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006, 07:19 PM by sdrotar
OOC: "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?" (adjusts fedora)

tomcat

Apr 11, 2006, 11:17 AM #12 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006, 04:45 PM by tomcat
Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 11, 2006, 10:54 AMOOC: "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"

OOC: ;D Edrahil looks to see

Observe +3, Keen-eyed +2
Roll(2d6)+5: 4,1,+5 Total:10

Edrahil sees Dirnhael stiffen up but not the reason why. He walks towards the warrior, "Is all okay my friend? Have you hurt yourself?"

The Sindar cracks a slight smile as he thinks about all they had been through together and now Dirnhael has been brought to a halt by a aching back.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 11, 2006, 11:17 AM
Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 11, 2006, 10:54 AMOOC: "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"

OOC: ;D Edrahil looks to see

Observe +3, Keen-eyed +2
Roll(2d6)+5: 4,1,+5 Total:10

Edrahil sees Dirnhael stiffen up but not the reason why. He walks towards the warrior, "Is all okay my friend? Have you hurt yourself?"

The Sindar cracks a slight smile as he thinks about all they had been through together and now Dirnhael has been brought to a halt by a aching back.

"A viper," he whispered. "Not further than my arm's length away."

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Actually my question about the use of a skill other than Siegecraft was meant for the action Durgil was taking: identifying where was the most likely paths of attack for an enemy, especially ones mounted upon wargs.  Btw, he is skulking about while doing this

Stealth (Sneak) - (5+3)+3+2=13
Stealth (Hide) - (6+4)+3+2=15
Gwaithlim Weapons