• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 10:47 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Stillness... until dawn?

Started by tomcat, Mar 31, 2006, 08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 31, 2006, 08:04 AM Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006, 09:40 AM by tomcat
OOC: We're gonna have some fun now... ;D

We are going to have an opposed series of tests - Stealth (bad guys) versus Observe (you guys) - over the next 8 hours of night, I am going to have you each roll for me a number of Observe tests (based on the list below of who is on watch) with either of the listed specialties you'd like to use - Listen or Spot. If you have neither, just give me a normal Observe roll, but remember that if you use the Spot specialty, you have to include the -5 Darkness penalty.

I will compare the ongoing tests and roll each round an opposed Warg's Stealth test. If at anytime you guys exceed the Stealth roll with an Observe rolls, you guys will detect the Enemy.

Courage may be used in the tests, but no person can spend more than 4 on their particular test. I will allocate Courage to the Enemy based on how you guys spend yours - 1 less Courage than is spent by a PC on a given test. Meaning, if Edrahil spends 2 Courage to buffer his Observe test result, I will give the pack of Orc/Wargs 1 Courage to spend... make sense? The reason for this is to keep the competition a bit fair so that no one character dumps all of his Courage on behalf of the party and wins in the first round. In any case, be sure to check the Status of your characters Courage pool on the bar above. Also, please post in order of the list below so I have an idea as to what time of night or morning any results occur. Thanks.

The Watch schedule will be as follows, with the requested number of Observe tests:
Edrahil - 1 Observe tests
Seriand - 2 Observe tests*
Dirnhael - 1 Observe tests
Fengel - 1 Observe tests
Durgil - 2 Observe tests*
Nain - 1 Observe tests

* - I gave the longer night shifts to these individuals as I believe they have the highest skills

--------------------------------------------------------

Edrahil's Observe test
Observe +3 (no specialties available)
Roll(2d6)+3: 5,5,+3 Total:13 NICE ROLL, BUT PROBABLY MOOT

Opposed Warg Stealth
Stealth (Sneak) +12, Specialty +2, -2 penalty for riders
Roll(2d6)+12: 5,5,+12 Total:22

Warg's not detected on Edrahil's watch...
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

OOC: Tomcat could you use green instead of the purple, it is really hard to read for me.

GandalfOfBorg

Mar 31, 2006, 11:36 AM #2 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006, 02:57 PM by GandalfOfBorg
Observe (Listen) - (2+1)+3+2=8
Observe (Spot) - (6+6+5)+3+2+3 Courage -5=19

Observe (Listen) - (6+6+2)+3+2=20
Observe (Spot) - (2+1)+3+2=8
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: You get two opportunities to make your Observe tests... 2 hours of watch
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

Observe (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10: 6,4,+10 -5 Total:15

Observe (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10: 2,3,+10 -5 Total:10

tomcat

Quote from: Durgil
Observe (Listen) - (2+1)+3+2=8
Observe (Spot) - (6+6+5)+3+2+3 Courage -5=19

Observe (Listen) - (6+6+2)+3+2=20
Observe (Spot) - (2+1)+3+2=8

Quote from: SeriandObserve (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10: 6,4,+10 -5 Total:15

Observe (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10: 2,3,+10 -5 Total:10

Opposed Warg's Stealth test
Stealth (Sneak) +12, Specialty +2, Penalty for Rider -2
Roll(2d6)+12: 2,3,+12 Total:17 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+12: 5,3,+12 Total:20 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+12: 5,2,+12 Total:19 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+12: 4,5,+12 Total:21 SUCCESS

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Oh boo for us... we're all gonna die!
Gwaithlim Weapons

Palandil

Observe(Spot):Roll(2d6)+2: 2,2,+5,-5(darkness),+2(night eyed) Total:6
OOC:Those knats are a pain!
I have a question, if we believe that there are orcs in the area wouldn't we have more than one person on watch at a time?  Even the abandoned campfire would put us on alert.

Stefan

Observe (Listen):Roll(2d6)+6: 2,5,+6=13
Observe(Spot):Roll(2d6)+8: 4,6,+8,-5(darkness) Total:13

tomcat

Apr 03, 2006, 07:29 AM #9 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2006, 07:33 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Palandil on Apr 03, 2006, 05:08 AMI have a question, if we believe that there are orcs in the area wouldn't we have more than one person on watch at a time?  Even the abandoned campfire would put us on alert.

OOC: You can have as many awake during the hours of the night as you wish; you can ride out and about the camp; but unless you can detect them in the night via the Observe tests - for all you guys know they rode off and never noticed your passing.

The night passed with the Company fervently watching for any signs of the Enemy, but one showed themselves. The morning came gray and foggy on the west side of the Misty Mountains and all hoped that the sun would burn off the gloom once it was able to surmount the peaks. So the companions broke down their bedrolls and prepared the horses while a bit of food was prepared, the wispy fog clinging to the eaves and branches of the tall pines. It was cool and clammy and very silent. Except for the worry of any Enemy presence, the world would have seemed quite serene and quite beautiful.

Because of the closeness of the air, there was very little conversation over their breakfast, and what there was was hushed. Once finished, the break of camp was completed and the Company mounted. They rode down from the hilltop and out of the thick fir forest onto a plain of rolling grasslands. In the far distance, a spur of the mountains could be seen that stemmed off the range to their left and intersected their course. They would need to pass over that spur, but they would not be reaching it until the end of the days travel, or at some point tomorrow.

Seriand recognized this natural landmark, it was the last barrier they would cross over before entering the eastern lands of Eregion, what Men called Hollin. The Sindar announced this fact and the look on Edrahil's face changed to one of anticipation. Soon they would be walking in what was once one of the fairest realms in Middle-earth.

The sun did finally rise above the mountains but was unable to break through the cloudy day and gave off only a wan light. The cloud's themselves did not shower down any rain, but instead made for the Company a grey, clammy spring day's travel.

OOC: With the morning light, if you guys want to search for any signs of the Wargs or Orcs around the hill, or in the town, let me know and I will adjust the story line to reflect this... otherwise fool free to post any comments on the day's travel - if you have any.

Wiseman

Ever watchful Seriand continued to peer off in all directions as they began their journey that day.  The elven scout was used to being on guard for days on end as he usually travelled alone and had no allies to be a second pair of eyes for him. 

Pointing out to the mountain in the distance he informed the rest of the party of their route.  "Once we are across that range there our travels should ease and we should make good time."

Observe (Spot) Roll(2d6)+10: 4,4,+10 Total:18

GandalfOfBorg

Still concerned about the previous night, Durgil resolved to check out the remains of the orc's campsite. "I, for one, would like to know where our shadows trailed off to.  Would any care to join me?  It shouldn't take too long."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Palandil

"I suppose it would be in our best interest to investigate that camp.  I'll go with you Durgil."  Fengel jumped upon Heostor and looked to Dirnhael for approval.

Stefan

Jethro was unusually eager to get out of this forsaken place.  Nain knew this because there was almost no hint of the usual stubborness that he usually had in spades.  The packing went quickly and Nain was mounted and waiting by the path to Hollin before the Humans suggested scouting the town.  He was not happy about the idea. He knew that it would be safer to know more about what had been there but yet he had no wish to volunteer for that trip.  He waited on Jethro for the rest to decide what they would do.

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Apr 05, 2006, 03:10 AM
"I suppose it would be in our best interest to investigate that camp.  I'll go with you Durgil."  Fengel jumped upon Heostor and looked to Dirnhael for approval.

Dirnhael nodded, but was reticent about leaving the two men exposed and away from the rest of the Company.
But while the Company looked to Dirnhael for leadership, he was not their master - they were always free to do as they will.

"Be careful, my friends," he said. "Observe from afar, if possible - I have no desire to lose either of you to an ambush."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun