• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 02:20 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Quiet night...

Started by tomcat, Mar 26, 2006, 06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

OOC: Shawn W, Seriand is laying down on the hill a few feet from the campfire (so the light does not mess up his eyes to see out in the dark... this doesn't mean he is night-eyed, only that we see better in the dark when we don't look past a light) looking out over the river valley below. He can easily see the town and the fire burning below, but discerning who is around the fire is difficult - unless you make the Observe tests in the last thread).

Durgil has run a length of 80 yards, down off the hill and away from the camp towards the village.

Opposed rolls and other Observations for Durgil moving towards town:

Opposed Observe (Hear) TN 17
Orcs +6, Wargs +9
Orcs - Roll(2d6)+6: 2,1,+6 Total:9 FAILED
Wargs - Roll(2d6)+9: 3,3,+9 Total:15 FAILED

Opposed Observe (Spot) TN 20
Orcs +6, Wargs +9 - both fell creatures are Night-eyed 2
Orcs - Roll(2d6)+6: 1,3,+6 Total:10 FAILED
Wargs - Roll(2d6)+9: 1,5,+9 Total:15 FAILED

Observe (Smell) TN 15 - wargs
Wargs +9
Roll(2d6)+9: 4,6,+9 Total:19 SUCCESS

By the way, let me know if you do not see a picture map attached to this thread (you must be signed in of course).

Durgil ran at full tilt covering a distance of 80 yards from the encampment, all the while holding his weapons in close so they would not make any noise. He came to a dense patch of scrub and grass and stopped, breathing hard, but also very quietly.

The Dunadan sat in the patch of growth listening out into the night for any sound that didn't seem natural. The ruined town was still some distance away but Durgil felt something was wrong. He secured his sword to his side and then drew an arrow from his quiver, nocking it to his crafted Elven bow. Taking a quiet step forward, he began to slowly move towards the town. He would know soon who enjoyed the warmth of the fire.

The campfire in the small town was abandoned; the orcs and their warg-mounts having moved off into the night. Graush rode at the fore of his pack, twelve strong, and listened intently to the night. He followed the smaller orc to the path left behind by the interlopers and once there the orcs dismounted and looked about, all the while their wargs snuffed at the ground finding a trail. Graush's warg, Spine, drew in a great draught of the night air and caught it... a scent. There was definitely horse-flesh nearby along with Man! The large volpine-like creature snarled and brought Graush over to where it stood. The orc leader could see nothing around them, and though he had a strong sense of smell, could not perceive the scent that enticed his warg. They only had the track impressions in the ground to follow and they led south towards the low lying hills. Maybe he could see something from there? Maybe his quarry was encamped there? The hills made an obvious choice - well defendable, and allowing a good view of the valley and what lay south. That is where he would encamp if he were trying to move stealthily through His country!

"Secure your weapons!" he snarled quietly. "I don't wanna hear any of you flea bags make a sound! We are going to find out who is crossing my land, and then we are going to take them! But first, I wanna see who and what they are! So, no sound... we move like a shadow in the night!"

Stuffing anything that could jingle, or make any noise whatsoever, into the leather and furs that he wore, Graush mounted; his comrades did the same. The orc leader took immediately to silent hand signals. He pointed east and the pack moved off.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

Peering off into the night, his eyes fully accustomed to the darkness that surrounded them he looked for a sign of anything stirring near the ruins...

Observe (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10: 4,6,+10 Total:20

As Durgil moved off into the night Seriand followed him, perhaps this would be a good test to see how well the Man scout would perform.  Seriand followed as quickly and quietly as possible.  Sulking off into the night Seriand felt more comfortable and more at home than he had in quite some time.  Alone again, relying on noone but himself.

Stealth: Roll(2d6)+10: 1,6,+10,+3 courage Total:20

GandalfOfBorg

OOC:  Were my tests good enough to identify the oncoming force or will I have to wait to attempt again (or not)?  Also, if there is any predominant wind, from which direction is it blowing?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Mar 26, 2006, 10:22 AMOOC:  Were my tests good enough to identify the oncoming force or will I have to wait to attempt again (or not)?  Also, if there is any predominant wind, from which direction is it blowing?

OOC: Hey Matt, I had just gotten home and thought about the stealth rolls for the orc pack when I read your post. I will roll the tests now and give you an answer here below. Keep in mind your Observe (Spot) roll was 7 and the Observe (Hear) roll was 12:

Wargs Stealth rolls
Stealth (Sneak) +12, Specialty +2, Penalty for riders -2
Roll(2d6)+12: 1,2,+12 Total:15 - SUCK ROLL!!! :(

In either case, your spot and hear did not glean you anything right now Matt. Seriand's attempt would be good but, the only thing is that you guys need to also include on any Spot rolls is the -5 Darkness penalty. So Seriand actually failed.

Wargs Track rolls TN 10
Track (Scent) +8, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+10: 1,5,+10 Total:16 SUCCESS - the wargs are able to keep the scent even though they are rolling out east of the hills.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Alright, thanks.

As Durgil finds nothing to his interest nor notes anything of consequence, he figures getting a closer look around the fire.  As he moves closer, he becomes more aware of himself and his surroundings so that he doesn't draw any attention to his approach.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Stefan

Mar 27, 2006, 05:39 AM #5 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006, 08:49 AM by Stefan
One more thing to make this night even more miserable.  At least he might get warmth from the use of his axe. Nain quickly stomps out the fire that he had worked so dillegently to create then pulls his axe from it's sheath and walks over to where the elf is sitting.

"Can ye see what's down there?"

sdrotar

They could all sense it like a chill in the air - something wasn't right.
Dirnhael readied himself in the camp and waited for some word from the advanced scouts - which now comprised most of the Company.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Once Fengel got the knat out of his eye he saw Durgil disappear into the darkness followed closely by Seriand.  Walking over to Dirnhael, "Did you tell them to scout out the town?  I don't think we should have gotten closer until we had a better view in the morn."  He could see the uneasiness in Dirnhael's eyes and began to feel it as well.  "I suppose we should put out our fire in case they find some trouble down there, we don't want to give away our position."

tomcat

Quote from: Stefan on Mar 27, 2006, 05:39 AMDratted orcs, one more thing to make this night even more miserable.

OOC: I just wanted to point out real quick that the party has no idea right now that there is a hunting pack of warg-mounted orcs out there. I don't have a problem with the uneasy feeling that the characters are expressing; the concern with the campfire burning in the ruined town; etc..  But for all other things, you guys have no idea. The only successful tests have been the stealth tests made by Seriand and Durgil and the Seriand's test to actually see the campfire below.

So please keep this in mind as you guys make your posts. I am adding the narrative about the orc's doings so you guys have a more cinematic feel to the game, but it is not meant for you to build your character's actions on - unless of course they have a reason (i.e. Seriand saw a campfire burning below, so I have no problem with Durgil moving off to scout it out.)

If the cinematic posts are ruining the game for you guys by giving the story away, I can stop them. I just thought it allows our game to read better... let me know.

Doug

tomcat

Mar 28, 2006, 08:04 AM #9 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006, 08:09 AM by tomcat
Starlight shone brightly and lit Durgil's way as he moved towards the town. Not far behind him and to his left was the quiet form of Seriand as he followed the Dunadan The duo moved through the night, listening and watching, but nothing revealed itself and slowly the ruined town came closer.

Durgil was the first to cover the near mile distance to come to a burnt out homestead. He scurried to what had to be the remains of a barn and hid amongst the shadows. Roughly 300 yards distance was what used to be the town's common and though he could not see it directly, the fire light flickered against the backdrop of ruined buildings. Durgil sat quiet and listened before moving closer.

OOC: I am going to need to have you guys let me know if you are going to work separately on scouting the town, or if Seriand will catch up with Durgil.

I also want an updated set of Stealth (Sneak) rolls and any Observe tests you want to give me... just remember the -5 Darkness penalty to any Spot rolls until you get into the town and can see via the fire light. Thanks.

Stefan

Mar 28, 2006, 08:49 AM #10 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006, 09:16 AM by Stefan
OOC: sorry about that.  It occured to me as I was posting that I didnt know I just forgot to erase that line.  I edited it.

tomcat

OOC: Shawn W. or Matt??? Anything from you guys?

Edrahil sat and looked out into the darkness as Fengel, Dirnhael and Nain all supressed the fire that he had made. The Company was on edge although nothing had revealed itself as a threat to this point... still, the cautiousness was probably the wiser path. But then the Sindar smiled as he remembered one of his talents... a skill he had not put to use in some time.

He ran to his pack that lay on the ground by the fire and from it drew a soft cloth bag, from that he drew forth a small silver mirror. The Elf tapped his companions on the shoulder in a quiet signal to follow him and he moved to the edge of the camp to a place where the ruined town below was easily visible.

To Dirnhael he said, "Watch the mirror as I look about, tell me if there is anything that you see."

Edrahil then spoke in ancient arcane words and the mirror in his hand flared with light as the campfire and its surrounds revealed itself clearly within. The Elf shifted his gaze about the town and where his eyes peered, the mirror displayed what he saw but it was as if the mirror were there, close, and reflecting great detail.

Cast Farseeing TN 15
Willpower +6, The Art +2
Roll(2d6)+8: 6,5,+8 Total:19 SUCCESS

More to follow... but feel free to make any posts.

GandalfOfBorg

Stealth (Sneak) - (6+1)+3+2=12
Stealth (Hide) - (5+4)+3+2=14
Observe (Spot) - (4+1)+3+2-5=5

Durgil has his bow drawn and arrow nocked.  He keeps himself to the dark shadows as he moves closer to the firelight.  He will indicate to Seriand his intended direction.

OOC: Seriand is free to follow or take his own route as Durgil won't use speech at this time.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Wiseman

Seriand continued to meander down the path, ever watchful of what was going on around him.

stealth: Roll(2d6)+10: 5,2,+10 Total:17
Observe (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10: 2,6,+10 +3 Courage Total:21

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Mar 30, 2006, 07:40 AM

Edrahil sat and looked out into the darkness as Fengel, Dirnhael and Nain all supressed the fire that he had made. The Company was on edge although nothing had revealed itself as a threat to this point... still, the cautiousness was probably the wiser path. But then the Sindar smiled as he remembered one of his talents... a skill he had not put to use in some time.

He ran to his pack that lay on the ground by the fire and from it drew a soft cloth bag, from that he drew forth a small silver mirror. The Elf tapped his companions on the shoulder in a quiet signal to follow him and he moved to the edge of the camp to a place where the ruined town below was easily visible.

To Dirnhael he said, "Watch the mirror as I look about, tell me if there is anything that you see."

Edrahil then spoke in ancient arcane words and the mirror in his hand flared with light as the campfire and its surrounds revealed itself clearly within. The Elf shifted his gaze about the town and where his eyes peered, the mirror displayed what he saw but it was as if the mirror were there, close, and reflecting great detail.

Dirnhael took the mirror in stunned silence. The abilities of his friend never ceased to amaze him.
As he peered into the mirror, shapes began to take form, and Dirnhael thought that no matter what they were about to face, they would have an unexpected advantage...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun