• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 05:01 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - The Interregnum

Started by Eclecticon, Mar 02, 2024, 05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

After the dead are gathered and burned, and those suffering from the sight-darkening orc poison are tended to as best they can be, the battered company makes its weary way down the hillside and southward through the ravaged land to seek the protection of the host of Grimbeorn.  They find it not gathered in force but piece by piece, for the chieftain of the Bear-folk has sent his thegns out, each with their own fyrd, in a great hunt. 

Though these send messengers back as they turn each for their own land and hall, it is not for more than a week before the general tidings are known: though the warg-riders' blades took their sorrowful toll, the ferocity of the Beornings in defence of their homes has proven more powerful, and no small part of the ransom of the Old Ford is paid, in the end, in the form of fresh-cured wolf hides. 

Even so, and despite the agreement among the thegns that the ransom is an easier price to pay than the death of yet more sons, it is hard to watch cattle and goats from every hall and household driven south, along with wains piled high with other precious things, all to slake the greed of the southern king, or so it is grumbled among the farther benches of the mead halls. 

Hathcyn, however, is simply glad to see that the Fox's Tale still stands, despite a handful of new and scorch marks on its outer timbers. 

:ooc: This Fellowship Phase will be a short one - about a month - and the next Adventure Phase will kick off in September 2960.  That leaves time for a single undertaking.  If I might suggest: opening the Fox's Tale as a Sanctuary would be useful.  This would represent securing stores of everything you're likely to ever need and maybe beefing up the hall's defences. 

Otherwise, Doug, Esgalwen could certainly use the Receive Title undertaking to cement her reputation with the Beornings (assuming she hasn't done that already - it's been a while since I read back over everything). 

The ransom of the Ford, as noted earlier, isn't cheap - especially when so much needs to be rebuilt.  Beorning characters' Standard of Living is reduced to Frugal for the next two years (it can be increased with Treasure as usual) and all Holding rolls are made with a -3 penalty. 

Recall if you will:
• if the die roll result is equal to or less than the Holding's rating, you earned enough income to keep your PC's current standard of living.

• if the roll is greater than the rating, the PC gains his standard of living and treasure equal to the difference of the die roll and the rating.

• if the roll is :g:, the PC earns his standard of living and the rating of the holding is reduced by 1 due to some good fortune.

• if the roll is :~~:, the holding suffers some disaster of misfortune. If the hero does not take action the next Fellowship Phase, the holding may be destroyed, or have its rating increase[/color]

Aaaaaaaaaand now the bit you're waiting for: all the PCs walk away with 11 XP (I was going to award 10 but my god did this turn into a long, rambling shaggy dog story) and all the AP marked on your sheets. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: great adventure!

My two holdings are both at 8

The herd:
Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

The Fox's Tale:
Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

I'll also spend my undertaking on the Tavern
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

:ooc:

Also here is my weal and Woe roll
Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: No need for one of those yet, Tom - it's not the end of the year.  Strictly speaking, you needn't roll for holdings either, but we can take the rolls above as indicative of how the rest of the year will treat Hathcyn's fortunes. 

Do we still have anyone in the Fellowship who's claiming a share of the Forest Road proceeds?  If so, the Holding level is down to five, where it will stay for the remainder of the game (unless it's destroyed, blocked with a mass of webs or otherwise rendered useless as a trade route). 

Character sheet

Telcontar

So we arent rolling for holdings?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Mar 03, 2024, 04:27 PM #5 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2024, 05:37 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: You can if you like - it's just normally an end-of-year thing. 

Also, nota bene, all the character sheets on Dropbox now have the correct XP, AP and Hope totals.   

And while I'm noodling around with character sheets, Luindîs will spend four XP for a second dot of Swords, another four for a point of Valour and bank the remaining three.  She'll drop all eight AP on a second dot of Courtesy. 

Her Undertaking will also be to turn the Fox's Tale into a Sanctuary. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Mar 04, 2024, 03:47 PM #6 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2024, 08:54 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Esgalwen will be banking her points from this Adventure phase. I will have an undertaking narrative up later.

I will take the Receive Title undertaking assuming that it will be given from the Beornings (not the Woodmen). Esgalwen will gladly take a small tract of land to build her home and begin to tend the land, when she is present.

• Her Standing score is not that great, but she will work on that. It now measures her repute among the Beornings.
• She may now affect the narration of a Year's End Fellowship phase as if she belongs to the Culture.
• During  a Fellowship phase within the home settlement of the Beornings, her score is not reduced, as if she returned home (see Standing Upkeep on page 193).
• Esgalwen is granted a tract of land or a house to dwell upon. The size and features of the land or
house are proportionate to her Martial Standard of Living.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

The Fire-watcher is waiting for the rest of the Fellowship when at last, many weeks since they left its cosy bounds, they return to the Fox's Tale.  He has tales to tell of other battles fought deep within Mirkwood. 

"From the darkest parts of the wood they came," he says, eyes distant as he stares at the hearth, a mug of his host's mead all but forgotten before him.  "Ragged and wretched Men who bore weapons of wood and stone, and spoke in no Mannish tongue.  The first hunters and scouts who saw them took them to be like themselves, lost to madness from the dreariness and horror of the forest, but all to soon it was clear that they were the wild and forsaken folk who make their homes in the realm of the spiders, and of whom we saw a small number at the site of those feel beings' parliament.

"Why they emerged now from that uttermost darkness I cannot say.  Mayhap the Mother-of-All commanded them forth as scouts in force, to see where the borders of our world best are guarded.  It may be that word of our battle against the Weaver has turned the hearts of spider-kind against all Men, even those who served and worshipped them.  But they came in greater and greater bands - men, women and children alike - and fell upon those they discovered as desperately as starving wolves. 

"By the time we at the Black Tarn heard of this, the clans of Woodmen-Town andWuduseld were already roused to their own defence, but I knew that it could not be long before the Forest Road was threatened.  I gathered what warriors could be spared and marched them north."

With a sudden lunge, he seizes the mead-cup and drinks it nearly to the dregs. " I shall not recount all that took place in those few awful weeks, save to say that it was a war of listening and skulking, of ambush and counter-ambush.  Slaying enough there was to weary the hardest of hearts, for few of the foes could we take alive, save the youngest of the children.  Nor do I envy the fate that awaited those who broke and fled from us, for the terror of that which drove them forth was plain to behold. 

"In the end, the Dwarf-forts held fast, and most of the travellers were able to find shelter within them.  Once the spear-work was done, I and the other survivors came here, thinking to find you all, for I knew not of the call of Grimbeorn, and have only the few and fragmentary tidings that the birds bring off the doings of Men in the Vales.  So tell me, if you will, for I doubt not that you were well in the think of it all."

:ooc: I'm going to have it a Success die worth of Shadow points to Arbogast for the terrible things he's seen and done:
:00: 1d6 : 4, total 4

Also this, for no reason.  Just for the joy of rolling virtual dice:
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: That should say 'hand out' Shadow points. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn listened to the Firewatcher's tale. He could not help but think that they were beset on all sides and in his heart he worried it was with a singular purpose. He was troubled, but Aestid sat beside him and her presence and touch brought him comfort.

"There are few that I could call to war Firewatcher. There are some who would come because it was I who asked, but they would come because they trust my judgement. My judgement in this is not to ask them, but prepare for raids and attacks as we normally do here at the border of the wood. This march however is my responsibility, so if you propose a plan where a few may go and make a difference instead of many then I am all ears."

Aestid squeezed his hand upon his speaking of leaving so soon, but she was a chief's daughter, led and commanded on her own. She knew the burdens that he carried and why he must do what he did.

"And while we are here at council another matter must be discussed. By oath I am compelled, but equally by a call for justice in another matter. Mogdred in the south is a problem. Had he came in aid to us I would have welcomed him gladly, but he extorts us instead. The kind he has received is short sighted because he is not likely to ever receive aid from the folk of Beorn should he be pressed. The thin veneer that Tyrant's Hill is anything other than a bandit camp or appropriately named has worn thin. I would hazard that many of those we fought at Stonyford now come to his weapontake."

" I intend to send to the dwarves for masons. I desired to improve my defenses here, but I cannot wait any longer. With these attacks on the Wayforts they may see better the advantage in lending me their knowledge if I could provide the labor.  The rude ring of stone I had planned and been capable of will no longer serve. I need a Wayfort of my own, not a ditch around my hall. The Old ford too needs strengthening and easily I think the dwarves at the Millfort would aid me in exchange for more support in their patrols."

Hathcyn was quiet for a moment.

"I think in the Spring some will come from the North, perhaps even in the Fall if they have the stores. Aestid's folk who are weary of her father's ways will join us here for she is kindly and well loved by them. They would help in these tasks, but this will take time and care."

Aestid spoke.

"Husband, you are a thane yet you have no Hearthkarls. You are reluctant to call the folk and the fyrd and that is understandable. But you have not called any ringswords to your side. These are the men who serve for just such struggles and cares. Years ago you gave me as my own dowry golden treasures. You refused them when we married. Take them back now, melt them down if need be and give golden ringswords to those who you value and trust and bind them to you in the ancient ways. Be the gift giver as well as the Longspear of the Greenstone Land. We have space here for them and with your renown you will quickly fill the half score men you could support. With the Fox Tale secure I will take on this task with Durin's Folk and the new comers. Perhaps messages from me will speed their coming and their number.  These cares I will carry for you."

"You are noble wife. A companion that far outstrips what I have deserved. Your words are wise. So that leaves these Wildmen and Thieves."

Hathcyn looked at the others assembled around the table. 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"Wise indeed you are," Arbogast adds, "and well-counselled are you, Hathcyn my friend.  For I have defended my home and kinfolk for more than a dozen years, and I have learned that it is far better to do so with shield and axe far away than to suffer the foe to come to your walls, be they ever so stout and strong." 

"Oh listen to you pair!" interrupts Luindîs as she drops lightly (and, Gwaithlim sourly notes, almost without a sound) on to the bench, a jug of mead in each hand.  "So dour, with your talk of terrible battle and walls of cold, drab stone!  I myself have learned something," she continues, the smell of her breath leaving no doubt that she has thoroughly sampled the contents of the cellar before returning to the Fellowship's easy council, "and it is this: war and all its attendant sorrows may come tomorrow or not in five score years.  And in whatever time we have before it arrives, we ought above all to dance and sing, and to drink," she pauses to take a draught from her left-hand jug, as if to show the slow-witted what she means, "and to bring merriment and joy.  Else why do we ought... we need bother to fight anything?" 

Her point, such as it is, made, she raises a quizzical eyebrow in invitation of a retort. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"I am not a learned man, however I do know that the realm of the Elven King once spanned all of the forest, yet now he sits in but a corner of it. We do not have the luxury of years or space as he does to wait the changing of the world. We are not without our cheer, and indeed it is to protect what I built, what you sit in, that we must have these dour talks to preserve the songs and stories. Here is Arbogast, the Firewatcher, the keeper of the tales and history of his people. But what good are stories if there are none to hear them or places that they may be told."

"We are beset on all sides this year and have no allies or magics to call upon for aid other than those we possesses. And possess them we do."

"Arbogast, do you think the River Maidens could aid us in this? Even if it is in warning where these men may cross? Will the Brown Wizard send us word of their gathering and where? Then the limited strength of men could be concentrated in attack instead of spread out trying to find a foe that we then wouldnt be able to beat? The dwarves will guard the road, we know that Dain King will not allow that to fail and The Roadwarden has the authority to preserve it. They will not allow that which they have just restored to fall again. So in that light our troubles are less. We have but to secure the forest march and our homes. The road to the dwarves, the waterways are obstacles, and our spies both mystical and mundane to warn us."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I should have my response tonight.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Mar 07, 2024, 08:32 AM #13 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2024, 08:39 AM by tomcat
Esgalwen was the last to enter the inn, but was not the least pleased to see her friend. Arbogast cast a woeful eye at her, for her wound was evident though it had been tended. The Ranger's left arm was in a sling and tied about her torso, so as to keep its movement limited. The Beorning healer did not wish to see his stitches reopened, and so bound the arm tight.

At least feeling and strength had returned to the arm, the Dúnadan thought.

It had been a rough couple weeks - infection had set in after the removal of the black-tipped arrow and Esgalwen's shoulder and neck had become red and raw with its spread. The fevers had lasted a number of days, but she did not reckon them due to her stupor. She was told that even Gwaithlim had aided in her recovery, bringing the lore of the Elves.

After the days of rest and then being able to get about once more, she worked her arm to remove the tightness from the muscles, as well as to return their strength. When she bathed and her body was bare, Esgalwen had looked down at the wound and the scar that would be ever present - another terrible mark upon her. The puckered flesh, where the arrow had been extracted, was ugly and would be forever discolored because of the orc-poison.

But tonight she was hale and she was once more among her boon companions. Arbogast's presence comforted her most. He alone was the only companion left that she had first become friends with those long years past. Bandy was gone. Rorin had moved on with his people. Orophin still haunted her, left as he was in the dank waters of Dol Guldur. Grimbeorn was still present in her life, but he was now the master of this land and so his time was spent elsewhere. Only Arbogast remained of the Company of the Helm.

After their embrace and the trading of stories, the Ranger looked to them all and spoke, "Mogdred has revealed his heart. Perhaps he always had, though I was unable to see. I must undo what I have done. It was never my intent for he and his people to be the sole beneficiaries of Gondor's committed treasure." She turned to Hathcyn, "That said, again I will say to you, Hathcyn. Seek not your answers in magic or fey creatures - instead find it among yourselves. As Ingomer hoped long ago, a union of the people of the Vale will serve better than any mystical aid. Like the Towers of the Watch between Rohan and Minas Tirith, build signal towers. They need not be great structures, only prominent enough to be each seen from afar when their beacons are lit. Look to our Dwarf allies, but do not forget your kinfolk in Mountain Hall.

"I have learned that sometimes the answers are closer to home, then to reach out to powers beyond your boundaries and request such aid. So it was for me with the Steward of Gondor and welcome was he to provide, but such good deeds fell to ill-favor and now Grimbeorn and the Beornings have become beholden to my error."

The Ranger took a cup of the spiced wine handed to her and she drank deeply. She looked back at Arbogast, "So tell me, how are Lindwine and the children?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'm happy to keep this scene going if people are enjoying it, but also don't forget to do the mechanical stuff.

F'rex, everyone can recover a Hope point from the Fellowship pool.

Character sheet