• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 10:49 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Wife-Geld of Aestid (Redux)

Started by Eclecticon, Jan 31, 2024, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

With the bright dawn of a new day comes a blustery northern wind that beats against the reefed sails and long oars of the Viglunding river-boats, as if the breath of the sky itself would keep the northern raiders from returning to their homes.  Esgalwen, her mood still foul after a poor night's sleep on the gravelly isle, takes a grim pleasure in the curses of the Viglundings as they struggle to make headway.  Hathcyn, however, feels only the dull weight of a decision yet unmade, and one that will doom him to yet more battle-sweat in days to come no matter which way his heart should fall.  Gwaithlim watches impassively, turning the moment this way and that in his mind as if he were holding it next to the great feuds of ancient legend, seeing at once the meanness of this squabble and the grandness of the passions that drive it. 

And so it is as Viglund himself, his greataxe nowhere to be seen but his mail coat already in place, stomps his way across the isle toward the Fellowship.  "Well, Fox," he calls as he approaches, "I said I'll have your answer.  Now what is it?"
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn stood in the morning light and approached the man. He had no great words, and also had a better measure of the man now.

"Wife-father, I said I would join my spear to your axe if you named a worthy target. I will stick to my word, as I am guessing you knew I would coming with no axe in hand. The Southrons are your enemies, they are now my enemies. As you have asked I will bend my strength, my guile, and my words against them. When the day of revenge comes they will know it comes with your regards as well."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Feb 02, 2024, 03:25 AM #2 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 05:53 AM by tomcat
Hathcyn stood upon the shore of the Carrock as the waters of Anduin washed its rocky shoals. The sound of the pull of the oars could still he heard as the boats pulled against the current though the boats slowly faded into the distance. Esgalwen found him standing there as the morning became full and daylight dawned bright. She went and stood beside him, saying nothing.

"I know you wanted me to fight him, perhaps I was too afraid to do so. Some may say that Hathcyn Longspear was loathe to kill his kin again, this won't be true either.  I know he must die. Cruelty has bit into his bones too deep and affection will make no purchase on him. The son must die first."

Hathcyn looked at Esgalwen, "I know this. I know that the son of Viglund must die first. Viglund is cruel, but he is strong and bitter. This makes his actions and motivations predictable. The son is craven and a coward, who knows what damage he will do if he were to lead before this fate finds him. Viglund is the enemy that we know and his strong will means he will not blindly follow the will of the enemy unless it also meets his desires. I promised Aestid I would not kill her brother, she made me make no such promise about the father, but I know the son must die first and I am unable to do this. So I toss it to fate and circumstance and hope that it was wisdom and not fear that let him sail away again."

He turned and looked at the Carrock. "This can not happen again. You have often spoken of the sanctuaries of your order away on the borders of the south. Do you have the knowledge for us to make this place a sanctuary and refuge of defense? The river has long been its guardian, but that has proven insufficient and Andiun the gate is not enough. I think the time has come for a more active guard. Also, I must seek aid from the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain. Would you write to the King of Dale? I have pondered long and started construction on a ring fort at the forest gate, but as the times change my simple stone circle too will be found lacking. We need a bastion like the old forest road forts. If Dale and Erebor were to aid me I know I could build a rock upon which the green stone would stand for long though it stood alone. Not as great as your city, but sufficient for our needs, the safety of our people, and a store of food and arms. How rude and weak the palisade of the Black Tarn was before the Orc filth, my home must be stronger and harder."

Esgalwen saw the passion and spirit rise in his eyes as he spoke to her. The weariness and defeats of the last few days acting like hammer blows upon hot iron to make it stronger. He looked again north up the river as the boats were lost to view.

"First I have a task to do. I must clean the filth, scrawling, and secret fetishes that have stained the Carrock and been buried in secret upon its shores. Then more distant deeds must be seen to."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: I am writing Esgalwen's interaction... I just want to go over it again before it is posted. Tom is writing great stuff and I want to do the same in kind.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Feb 02, 2024, 03:25 AMHathcyn stood upon the shore of the Carrock as the waters of Anduin washed its rocky shoals...
:ooc: This is so good.  Worthy of the sagas of old.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Feb 03, 2024, 06:41 AM #5 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2024, 06:45 AM by tomcat
Esgalwen watched the boats, too, the creaking of oars and billowing of sails a distant chorus to Hathcyn's words. As he spoke, she admired the growth and wisdom that he displayed.

"All of your decisions are strong, Hathcyn. I did not want you to kill Viglund... I just know some day it will be a need, for there is no peace in the man. Yesterday, my words were driven by an angry heart, which still is heated by the treachery of Mogdred. I must learn his intent. I need to know did he come to help, or to hold Grimbeorn ransom to his own lands.

"I fear by my hand, I have given the tools of war to a man with a greater desire for control than Viglund. Men in armor and atop a horse will be a greater threat to the simple wood-hafted weapons of the Vale." Her eyes stared north but her mind bent south, "But they can be undone."

Hathcyn looked to her and Esgalwen said, "My own folk have long stood the watch against a foe that seems nigh invincible, and we keep this threat at bay by the display of Minas Tirith and her bulwarks and towers of stone. We harry the movement of the enemy with arrow and stealth. So this enemy of yours and the harms they have done, can be made aright."

She listened to his questions and summations, nodding at each, for none were outside their grasp. "I can teach your folk, and the Men of the Wood, how to use the ways of the ranger. A small company of men and women from each house can be the eyes and ears of the vale - its first line of defense. In the south, we also use signal fires to warn our people and allies of danger and need - these can easily be established along the eaves of the forest, and so bind your people together.

"Lastly, Hathcyn, I will make these petitions to the Kings of Erebor and Dale, but do not forget your closer allies - the House of Mountain Hall. Hartfast is akin to those who share the vale, and I would assume their stonework and masonry skills are up to the task. What's more, the resources of the Misty Mountain - stone and gravel - are closer at hand then distant Erebor."

The boats of Viglund were beginning to turn the first bend of Anduin's course, and soon would be out of sight. The Ranger sighed, "I fear the purpose of the Folk-moot that Ingomer hosted, years past, has been mostly forgotten. It was meant to tie the people together and create a unity of strength in times of need, but now self-interest pervades each House once more.

"And alone, you each will be defeated."

Esgalwen patted Hathcyn's shoulder, "Worry not, today, about these blemishes made by Viglund's folk. These can be undone and the Carrock made wholesome soon enough. Instead, let us travel south and break the hold of the Ford - there can we serve our friend better."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]