• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 08:04 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Flight of the Fox - Round 4

Started by Eclecticon, Nov 13, 2023, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

On and on Hatycn swims, willing his four legs to keep swimming despite the chill of the water and the numbness that spreads now from tired feet through to his heart.  The tirelessness given by his spirit-form seemingly having deserted him, Hathcyn feels himself slowing and the far shore coming no nearer.  Or...  Wait... is it getting further away?

Heartbeats later, he is certain: the gravelly east bank of the Anduin somehow is withdrawing from him, the river widening and filling with water enough to drown all of Middle-Earth.  Nor can he dwell on this new strangeness, for his mind begins to fill with thoughts that are not his and memories of other lives. 

...would that he thought me so fair...

...rain's early again, and the wind so cold...

...can't find an axe-handle that won't break!...

...wonder how long until I've no teeth left...

...all gone, and no word from my only son...

With a start, he realises that he has allowed his muzzle to sink beneath the water and has nearly opened his mouth to take the breath that would see him start drowning.  Eyes wide, he spends what little strength he has left to pull himself up above the surface and as he does so, it seems to him that he hears in his heart a new voice, one old and strong, as beyond question as the great timbers of a mead-hall. 

...is my home...

His limbs surge with a borrowed memory of strength beyond that dreamed of by most Men. 

...this land I will raise my house...

Without a single thought for the wolves following him, he surges forward through the water toward a shore that once again is mere yards away... 

...tiny son now grown so big!  So strong!...

... and at last feels firm ground beneath his feet. 

...with such companions, he will rule better than I ever...

Life returning to paw and tail, he takes a moment to shake himself dry, and then speeds forward, knowing the way home by sight and scent and heart's true love. 

:ooc: Tom, you're so close to escaping - a lead of 9/10!  One more roll (at TN 18) will see you out! 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: now that I'm on shore I'll attempt a Hunting roll to attempt to outsmart the wolves.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Sorry I hit post before adding the die roll.
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 6, 3, total 11
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

(Well that isnt going to make it.)

Hathcyn took off north thinking to lead the pursuing wolves towards the House of Beorn. Thinking them fooled he cut back too soon and found that they had not fallen for his turn and where still on his trail. The fox hunt was not over yet and it would continue now across the rolling hills of the Anduin Vale.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear