• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:29 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Heart of the Bear-Folk

Started by Eclecticon, Oct 08, 2023, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Esgalwen is already putting boot to stirrup and leaping into her saddle as Gwaithlim raises his voice in imitation of birdsong.  Feathered friend who hears this, he sings do not wait, but speed to the eyrie of the mighty eagles!  Fear them not, but bring this message from a child of the Valar: that servants of the Shadow mass upon the great river, and in our desperation we seek their aid!

Then begins a desperate ride through the darkening hours before the rise of the moon, Elf-eyes following the Fellowship's own path back down the hillsides and Mannish ones watching for the flickering of watch-fires.  When at last the host of the Beornings is found once again, a little more than twelve miles from Ferthald's steading, the four companions' eyes are sore and heavy-lidded, their legs saddle-sore.  Exhausted and half lamed are their horses, mouths streaked with foam and flanks damp with sweat. 

Barely pausing to challenge their approach, the watchmen bring them at once before Grimbeorn.  Every inch the image of his father does the Beorning chieftain seem here, in the firelight beneath the stars.  He motions for ale to be brought to his friends as he leans close to hear their report.  Only once the tale is told does his face contort with rage.  With great venom, he spits into the fire.  "BAH!  We've been dancing on our enemy's strings since the start of this, and our only hope is that their tune will soon come to an end!  Taunted by orcs and wolves!  Trapped by sorcery!  Forced to watch the burning of my father's house and likely the fall of the Old Ford!" 

His great hand twitches, and for a moment it seems as if he will snatch up Bear Claw and strike out with it, and surely for several moments no man speaks lest he draw the wrath of the Son of Beorn upon himself.  But no slave of his temper is Grimbeorn, to strike and lay waste heedless of consequence.  Instead, he stands very still, and when he breaks the silence it is with a calm and even tone.  "We can't turn the army around and reach the Ford before these northern boats get there – not now that I've given my word that the folk of the western clans will be protected or avenged.  if need be, we can cross the river at Stánford, though it'll be a slow crossing indeed." 

His eyes meet Hathcyn's.  "But the Carrock must be defended.  It's the heart of our folk and the seat of our law.  Without it, I'm no chieftain and the folk of Beorn are no people."  Turning his gaze to Gwaithlim and Esgalwen (and, with some slight puzzlement, Luindîs) he gives his command: "I'll keep to my course, but as soon as day dawns, take as many men as you think you'll need and make for the Carrock.  Do whatever needs doing when you get there." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Esgalwen looked at her friend and her face was grim, "We will away with first light. We will reach and defend the Carrock. No enemy shall take what is yours, by the blood of Gondor I swear!"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: paul, Hathcyn had spent several Upkeep phases taking the role of Defend the Old Ford. I am assuming that he is pretty familiar with the crossings and the Carrock. How many men does he figure are currently at the locations and what does he think he'll need to take with him?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Trying to get a read on what's there what we will need, etc.

Battle roll (or insight, awareness, dice pool is the same)
Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Rolled 3d6 : 3, 3, 6, total 12
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

:ooc: this appears to be Hathcyns hour, or just tue hastening to his doom.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Oct 09, 2023, 07:15 AMHow many men does he figure are currently at the locations and what does he think he'll need to take with him?
:ooc: Both excellent questions.  As you note, Hathcyn knows the Carrock well (and Esgalwen, at least, has probably been there more than once).  The Carrock is big (see the picture below), but there just isn't a lot of room for a large force to occupy the place.  Keeping about forty men there would fill it up - especially as they'd have to leave the island to forage for food if they were staying for more than a day or two. 

As you'll see, there's a single path up the side, which gets very steep in two places, so large numbers of attackers can't effectively be brought to bear if there are men at the top (which, if it's occupied at all, there must be unless the enemy are complete idiots).  A handful of stalwart defenders at each of the cut stairways, supported by archers above, could hold off a force that outnumbers them ten to one as long as their morale holds. 

Also of importance, the view below shows the approach from the east (note the Misty Mountains in the background).  Any force you take with you will have to get across half the river, then cross the small island in full view of anyone on top of the rock, before they can even start their climb. 

So, with Hathcyn's Great Success he knows that the entire army now assembled around them might not be enough if the enemy (who you can safely assume is Viglund) has packed the place with defenders.  But would he?  It's unlikely that the Carrock is his primary target - that's more likely to be the lands around Beorn's House, or possibly even the Old Ford itself if he thinks he can hold it, 'cause those have wealth that he can distribute to his followers.  You're probably looking at 20-30 defenders - enough to be troublesome to dislodge and therefore likely to peel off a fair portion of Grimbeorn's force, which is almost certainly the idea. 

Given that, the question then becomes 'how much backup do you think you need since you'll almost certainly do the hardest fighting yourselves?'  Maybe you need enough men to match the occupying force, to look like a credible threat.  Maybe you don't want to take anyone, because the four of you appearing out of the night (or doing something else suitably daring and impressive) will make enough of an impression on its own?

Character sheet

Telcontar

So then its not already held by Beornings then?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: There's no permanent garrison there, certainly.  In fact, nine days out of ten there's nobody there at all.  It's not like there's been any threat to it in the past.

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Just as an FYI, Esgalwen's last Fellowship Undertaking was Defense of the Ford, so she might be privy to some info, too.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: is there a bastion at the Old Ford? My thinking is that the Old Ford seems like a better place to take and hold then the carrock. The carrock has symbolism but if we take it they can just ignore us.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: The Ford isn't fortified in any way.  The closest habitations are the hall of Gelvira Pot-Stirrer on the eastern bank and a collection of small farms on the west.  Hathcyn and Esgalwen, when they have stood watch over the ford, have been billeted at one or other of these.  This is bad, of course, in that it makes the Ford an easy target to take, but good in that it's just as easy to re-take. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Oct 10, 2023, 12:42 PM:ooc: The carrock has symbolism but if we take it they can just ignore us.
:ooc: You're absolutely right - it's not huge in military significance, which is why Grimbeorn plans to take the greater part of his army elsewhere.  Let's roll some Insight (TN 12 for Esgalwen and Hathcyn, due to their familiarity with Grimbeorn and his folk, 14 for the others):

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 2, total 6

Gwaithlim
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 6, 4, total 15

Luindîs
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 3, total 5

Character sheet

Eclecticon

This war will be won or lost without regard to who holds the Carrock, Hathcyn thinks to himself.  But my lord and friend is like a southern king who has seen his crown stolen and his throne burned!   The thegns will follow hm tomorrow because they must, but would they follow the day after if he shows himself unwilling to strike back to reclaim them?

:ooc: I'm putting some more of this information in character - which I really should've been doing from the beginning - but it's reliable. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

A plan was beginning to form in Hathcyn's mind. Ownership of places would not settle this matter, this would be decided by the will and reputation of leaders.

"Wolfslayer, the carrock is a symbol for our people. But possession alone will do little to impact this war. The pieces on the board are the wills that move about and act. I propose that we fight this incursion with the tools and symbols at hand.

I shall go to Carrock with only the companions I currently have. And there upon that island rock I shall challenge Viglund to a holmgang and make it known among our people and his that I have done so. This is something he will not expect and honor will demand that he respond or loose face among his people. After all it was I who burned his hall, it was I who took his daughter to wife. Custom demands he answer in 3-7 days and the longer he takes the greater the unanswered challenge will work against his men's spirit. Should he ignore me and I hold the carrock it will rally our people and sap the strength of his. This should also buy our forces time to get organized. If I succeed he will be dead or shamed and his army will melt away. If I fail then it is I who have failed and not our people. Your prestige will not suffer any further due to the private nature of my feud with Viglund. Whether I win or fail your cause will be advanced and the thirst for revenge shall be slacked on the part of his people. We dont have an army, so it is our own skill and courage that will have to see us through these days. I will take this burden on, perhaps the fates have pushed me towards this one moment all along."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

As Hathcyn speaks, all those nearby grow quiet until his last words, whereupon the warriors of Grimbeorn erupt in a mighty cheer.  Grimbeorn himself looks troubled, but this he clearly cannot deny his most loyal vassal.  He claps a meaty hand upon the slighter man's shoulder.  "Fight him, then, and fight well.  Fight for all of us!  But watch out for that son of his, if he's about.  That man's no better than a snake." 

Behind the Longspear, Luindîs' eyes widen and it is all she can do not to clap her hands with glee.  A duel of honour!  A feud driven by love and hatred in equal measure!  Glory or death!  Oh, this is every bit what I hoped I should see when first I set out to join these Men! 

Character sheet