• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 08:24 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Taking the Bait

Started by Eclecticon, Aug 22, 2023, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

:ooc: yes that was a statement with a question mark for validation. I also agree.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Doug is exactly right - you're west of the Anduin, and west-southwest of the Old Ford.  You crossed that, went almost directly west to reach Ferthald's steading, then south in pursuit of the wargs and west-ish up to where the land has just started turning into the Misty Mountains' foothills. 

An Explore roll will establish exactly where you are:
Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 2, 2, total 10

Gwaithlim
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 6, 5, total 16

Luindîs
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's three successes, including two Great Successes, so you're pretty confident in your location, which I've marked on the map (apologies for the very dodgy job - I'm at work and need to do this quickly!).

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Esgalwen and Hathcyn each marked the direction of the Elf's outstretched finger and wracked their memories for what might lie there.  They are yet north of the Ford, Gondorian thinks, her heart beginning to race, and the current will be giving speed to their oars

In great number they come, the Longspear thinks, dread rising in his gut.  Far greater than some petty northern thegn's followers.  And if Elven eyes see truly...

... he has shown himself honest and true-hearted, Esgalwen finds her hands beginning to tremble as Gwaithlim lowers his hand, his eyes widening as he marks her dismay.  That is just the right direction...

...to be, Hathcyn follows the same path to the same inescapable conclusion.  Almost as one they speak it aloud:

"Beorn's House."

Character sheet

tomcat

The cold realization gripped her heart and she felt as if she would swoon atop her horse. So easily had they been misled and drawn away - their force now out of position and potentially threatened! As outriders, they could easily ignore and move quietly past the warg-rider host, but not Grimbeorn. His host would be ripe for the attack and waylaid once more, when it arrived hence.

Esgalwen gathered herself, even as she cursed her ill-decisions and poor guidance. "Hathcyn, aid must come to Grimbeorn's house! But how? He has led forth his folk and now finds himself out of position to aid, with an enemy force between. We have been distracted and waylaid since we mustered. Somehow we must regain the upper-hand and fool our foes..."

She looked north towards where the Old Ford lay - the only path back to their friend's home and people. It would take days and the road would need be hard won with blood, with such a force of Wargs and Orcs between. And then a new thought came to her... the Eagles!

"Gwaithlim, Luindis... it is said your folk can speak with the birds, yes? Is it not so, Gwaithlim, that I have seen you share strange words? Can your friends aid us and call upon the Eagles of the Mountains? They have aided us in the past, when the spiders attacked at the Millfort. Could they bring aid now? Could we ask them to sweep this force aside that will assuredly attack Grimbeorn and his folk when they come? Or perhaps they could bear us those many miles that need covered, in hopes that the House of Beorn can be saved?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Hathcyn gazed off to where the house would be though his eyes were not sharp enough to see it.

"Houses can be rebuilt, but I fear for the people. And my heart tells me this is revenge for burning Viglunds house those years ago and this is the wedding gift of my father-in-law."

He lowered his hand.
"We will not make it to the house in time to save it. Right now we must ride for Grimbeorn and share all of our tidings though they be full of ill. We can not be strong everywhere and our enemies have long planned this. The Carock is our strength and our refuge, there is where I shall counsel that we look to. Until an advantage shows itself."

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

"I fear Hathcyn is right.  The eagles are of Manwe, lord of all the air and greatest of the Valar.  Their past assistance has been to turn the tide of fortune against the Shadow and will not interfere with the squabbles of the Firstborn, let alone the Second.  Only if they were aided by the forces of Darkness could we possibly persuade them."  But before the lady to retort in protest, he puts up a hand, "But I will attempt to gain aid of my feathered friend to send our message to the lords of wind."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: Cool stuff.  Unless anyone objects, I'll proceed with the narrative on the assumption that Gwaithlim's bird is heading to the eagles, but that the four of you are turning around and going back to Beorn and the army. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: that's an affirm, Paul.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]