• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 01:29 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Spider Siege! - round 1

Started by tomcat, Dec 02, 2016, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Dec 02, 2016, 10:45 AM Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 09:44 AM by tomcat
Situation: Holed up in the Millfort, the company plans to deal a wicked sting to the Spiders of Mirkwood!

Spiders
Tauler

Combat Advantage dice:
• Esgalwen 2
• Rorin 2

Situation Modifiers:
• The Company has initiative

Physical Modifiers (complications):
The Millfort is impregnable save for five locations.

A) Each door has been successfully repaired and has 60 END points each (FRONT 60/60; BACK 55/60). No spiders can get in them until they reduce the doors to 0 END and then roll a Piercing attack that overcomes a 3d armor rating.

B) Each window is a vantage point that allows an attack out (and in). Ranged weapons may be fired out and the defending archer gains the Rearward DEFENSE, but may use the Open ATTACK TN. Overwhelming numbers of enemies do not affect ranged combat while the defenses hold. Melee weapons may be used to attack out (and in) but the defenders gain the Defensive DEFENSE TN rating, but may use the Forward ATTACK TN. Attackers from the outside may return a melee attack through a window, but may NOT enter the fort.

C) The hatch has been successfully repaired and has 40 END points. No spiders can get through it until they reduce the hatch to 0 END and then roll a Piercing attack that overcomes a 2d armor rating.

D) The floor has been successfully repaired and has 20 END points. No spiders can get through it until they reduce the floor to 0 END and then roll a Piercing attack that overcomes a 1d armor rating.

E) The stone roof of the fort is compromised - there is a large hole here. The second floor offers little defense and any PC that decides to fight on the second floor will not be eligible for vantage defenses once spiders come through the hole in the roof. Ranged combat WILL be affected by overwhelming numbers, if the archer positions themselves here, instead of on the first floor.

IF the first floor defenses are compromised, vantage benefits are lost as the spiders enter the room. There will be NO opening volleys, as the things coming in the night are invisible in the trees.

PC/NPC PARRY ARMOUR HOPE [HATE] ENDURANCE
Arbogast
Bandy
Esgalwen
Grimbeorn
Rorin
6 (shield +3)
9 (shield n/a)
6/9 [skirmisher] (shield n/a)
6/9 [giant strength] (shield +4)
4 (shield n/a)
2d (headgear +1)
1d (headgear n/a)
1d (headgear n/a)
none (headgear +1)
5d (headgear n/a)
14/16
16/18
10/12
11/12
7/10
20/26
22/22
27/27
31/31
34/34
Spiders42d2/212/12
COMBAT STATUS by PC
PCENEMYENDHATENOTES
BandySpider 15/122/2• firing arrows through 1st floor vantage, spider must attack with Rearward stance
EsgalwenSpider 25/122/2• firing arrows through 1st floor vantage, spider must attack with Rearward stance
ArbogastSpider 31/122/2• in melee on second floor with spiders coming through roof, spiders match PC stance
RorinSpider 4DEAD2/2• in melee on second floor with spiders coming through roof, spiders match PC stance
STANCETN (+parry)PC / LMCOptions...
Forward - action order 1
Close combat
TN 6+tbdForward Stance maneuvers
Open - action order 2
Close combat
TN 9+ArbogastOpen Stance maneuvers
Defensive - action order 3
Close combat
TN 12+Grimbeorn,
Rorin
Defensive Stance maneuvers
Rearward - action order 4
Ranged combat
Must be 2 other PC's in Close Combat
May not use if outnumbered 2:1
TN 12+Bandy,
Esgalwen
Rearward Stance maneuvers
Any
Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level
of opponents
noneMay safely flee from the scene of combat
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

There was a change in the air of the room - they all could feel it.

Suddenly a sharp slam was heard at the Millfort's main door. Something had just hurled itself against the small keep's primary entrance. "THEY ARE HERE!" cried Bofri.

Esgalwen stood quickly with bow in hand, nocking an arrow to string, as she did. There were only so many vantages that could be used and so she decided to give her friends rearward support. "Arbogast, quickly! Return to the lower level," she called to the hatch in the ceiling above.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

"Nay, not yet," comes the reply.  "For we have here a fine field that we ought not surrender too lightly.  Rather, those who cannot find an open window should join me.  When we are too hard-pressed, we may retreat below, and use the time it takes to destroy the barriers to restore our strength." 

:ooc:  A little rules quibble - given that none of us were wounded in the skirmish with the Blood Moons, should we be back to full Endurance?
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: In case it's not clear, I think Arbogast is on the first floor above our little redoubt.  I'm suggesting that we hold that level as long as we can before we retreat downwards.  If I've misunderstood the situation and this isn't an option, let me know and I'll redraft my post. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Grimbeorn will be above as well.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: im away this weekend but I'll have a post up soon
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Dec 02, 2016, 11:02 PM:ooc:  A little rules quibble - given that none of us were wounded in the skirmish with the Blood Moons, should we be back to full Endurance?

Quote from: Eclecticon on Dec 02, 2016, 11:05 PM:ooc: In case it's not clear, I think Arbogast is on the first floor above our little redoubt.  I'm suggesting that we hold that level as long as we can before we retreat downwards.  If I've misunderstood the situation and this isn't an option, let me know and I'll redraft my post.

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Dec 03, 2016, 03:53 AM:ooc: Grimbeorn will be above as well.

:ooc: Paul - I forgot to update them. I will take care of them today. Also, for clarity, I am going to use the term second floor for anyone that takes the upper floor - that way we are all on the same page.

Matt - good enough!

;D

Telcontar

The Halfling moved to the window at the foot of the stairs and took out his bow. He knew that the window would provide him some cover, but also that the viscious bites of the spiders would be able to reach him. Once more the feeling of. Being struck and buried under the mass of a spider came upoon him. The Fellowship of the Helm was with him, and he would not leave his friends or suffer the shadow to know that it could go where it wanted at will.

Bandy touched a feathered shaft to his ear and at the first sight of a spider he let fly his opeing volley.

"The Road Warden has returned Attercop!"

Opening Volley
Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
best of
Rolled 1d12 : 7, total 7

Rolled 4d6 : 4, 2, 5, 1, total 12

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Following Bandy's lead, Esgalwen also drew back her bowstring and let an arrow fly.

Above them, on the second floor, Arbogast felt suddenly squeamish as a spider with a large body pushed itself through the hole in the roof, followed almost instantly by one more, than two. The large arachnids moved with great speed either along the wall of the Millfort, or they dropped to the wooden floor and scurried to attack the two men there waiting.

Esgalwen attacks
TN 13 bow 2d
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 4, total 7

:dmg: 7   edge: 10   injury: 16

Eclecticon

The sound of spiders' feet on the ruined roof of the fort becomes as constant as rain, and their baleful chittering calls out their plain desire to fall upon the interlopers into their dark realm and feast until only dry husks remain.  But the son of Beorn is at his back, and already the Men can hear the cries of spiders struck by well-aimed arrows.  Their foe is upon them, and battle is joined at the Millfort. 

:ooc: Arbogast will test out his new axe! 
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 4, 6, 2, total 16

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Excellent attack!

So, Arbogast hits with his new axe with a Great Success.

Assuming 1 handed, he does 11 END loss; 2 handed he does 13.

Let me know how he is poised. I also need stances for the guys on the second floor, because their enemies are in front of them - not attacking through a window.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Arbogast is using it one-handed, alongside his shield.  He's in Open stance. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: If Arbrogast is Open or Forward, Grimbeorn's stance will be Defensive, otherwise Open.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: I need Grimbeorn and Rorin to let me know what they are doing this round and I can move us on...

On a side note, I sat last night to try and visualize the second floor of the Millfort (attached). It came out needing... a lot better artist!  ;D

disench4nted

Rorin was just putting the finishing touches on some of the planks on the floor of the second level when the other called to arms. He surveyed his work and realized that this floor would not hold for long against a dedicated enemy. Perhaps if he had been a carpenter instead of a smith.... But too late now. He laid down his tools, took up his warhammer, and tightened his belt for battle.

Below him Bandy and Esgalwen nocked their arrows and began to let loose. He called down, "Bofri! Protect the archers or your time as Road Warden will be short indeed! Call for us if you need assistance!"

He propped open the hatch to the first floor and turned to see several spiders coming in through the hole in the roof. He planted his feet in front of the hatch and swung hard at the first spider to run for the downstairs.

:ooc:

Rorin is in the Defensive stance and isn't going to use a special maneuver.

TN 12+ Warhammer
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 2, 3, 1, total 7