• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 18, 2024, 01:14 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Road Begins...

Started by tomcat, Oct 21, 2016, 10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

The Hobbit nudged his pony forward to follow the dwarf.

"Hail Geirbald, I am Bandy of Rhosgobel glad may the moment of our meeting be. We have heard rumors of the Blood Moon, though we had no known that they travele this far north? How long ago did you spot them and whither were they headed?

While I can not speak for all of my companions or committ us to the task, if they are near by and the delay not over much I would be willing to aid you in your attack upon this scourge. Relate the details to us, and if possible, and not causing to much of a delay I would add our bows and steel to your pursuit. If we can in return I would ask your aid in turn should the Beorings ride to war in the north. But first let us hear your news and see what my companions, and Grimbeorn son of Beorn have to say.  I have grown hasty this year as it seems enemies are pressing the woodfolk on all sides this year and the elders are slow to council."

While the Halfling looked some what foolish at first glance, with his foppish hat and small frame, hiss gear of war was in good repair, and clearly used. The weapons hung upon him him in a comfortable and practiced way.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

The circumstances and all this talk and play at words irked Grimbeorn.  He fell to the back of his group, wary of these people and the trees.  He was none too keen on the possibility of people he barely knew coming to the aid of him and his own, but bit his tongue for now.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Oct 24, 2016, 11:46 AM #17 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016, 12:01 PM by tomcat
Geirbald cocked an eye at Bandy, "What are you little fellow? You do not look like a Dwarf, though you be about their height - give or take a hand or two. If not that then a child, though that does not fit either."

One of the other Woodmen spoke, "His feet are bare but they are as woolly as a sheep!"

Still staring at the Hobbit, Geirbald answered the questions presented him. "Aye, we have encountered these orcs of the Blood Moon, along with their human companions!" The Woodman spat at his words, "They were a relatively large company that had come up out of the south. We got wind that they had harried both Woodland Hall and Woodmen-town, using hit and run tactics. They would come at night and then fade into the wood. Well, I won't stand for no orc wandering my woods!"

The companions heard the emphasis on 'my' in Geirbald's words.

"Needless to say, we were lucky enough to have them wander into our territory. They are noisy louts and me and my brothers and sisters were able to ambush the lot of them. We cut deep into their numbers but then they retreated west. We think they ran out of the woods and onto the vale, but I cannot be sure. When we heard you all a'coming, we set a new ambush." The Woodman smiled, "But you don't look like no orcs, nor do you sound like them, so we figured we'd find out your business."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

I am no dwarf, I am a Hobbit out of the shire, one of the kin that came with the King Under the Mouuntain to root out the dead dread Smaug. These Blood Moon raiders have been a curse to many and the fewer that return to the south the better. Do you plan on attacking them again or lettign them slink away into the south?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"Be not too hasty, my friend," Arbogast counsels the Hobbit.  "It was several score men attacked my home last year.  If there is a company of blood moon raiders about, then there may be others that we do not yet know of.  Still, we should find the survivors of these fellows' ambush, if they be still nearby.  Even if we do not engage them, we may watch and learn how well the Men and orcs work and fight together." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Bandy nodded, "yes you are right. The winter was long in passing and I am anxious by all the troubles we have about us. I have spoken and acted too hasty."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

The company was now surrounded by the Woodmen that had come out of the trees. Arbogast did a quick count of those he could see and their number was twenty-seven - Geirbald stood within the ring with the others.

"It was not my intention to do anymore than to bloody them again, should they come back under my wood. I will not abide such creatures moving freely under bough, nor any man that takes up alliance with an orc!" He then listened to the Fire-watcher's interjection into Bandy's desire to hunt them down. "We have already bloodied them and perhaps they had been before - who knows how many losses they might have taken from Woodland Hall and Woodmen-town. We took at least ten of them, though we lost Grimben, Arfoal, and Iliaa. Curse them!"

There was a stir among the Woodmen at Geirbald's curse.

"If you were to follow, you would find maybe fifteen of these raiders left."

"Follow? Oh, no, no, no!" Bofri jumped into the conversation with an exasperated voice. "We have business of our own and it is the road. That is the reason we have come here."

"The road?" inquired Geirbald. "You mean that old cobble-stone road that was said to cross the wood?"

"Rightly so, good sir," answered Bofri.

'Hmm," the Woodman scratched at his beard. "Not much business to attend to with it - if you can even find it, let alone follow it. They say it leads astray anyone who journeys its path. No, you'd have better luck hunting the raiders." This struck him as funny and he began to laugh once more. The laugh ended in a sigh and then he said, "What is this you speak of, Shireling, of the Beornings going to war?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Esgalwen leaned over to Arbogast and spoke in a whisper, "Fifteen left? Surely that count is something we might deal with. Would it be wise to make an endeavour to stop these raiders? Perhaps even capture some and find out what they know and where they are from? The road of the Dwarves is not going anywhere. What do you think?"

Eclecticon

Arbogast nods, his eyes narrowed. 

"I beg your understanding," he says to Bofri.  "You have perhaps been spared the trouble that the blood moon has brought upon my people.  Please understand that it is not in the pursuit of vengeance, but as a service to all the Free Peoples that we do this." 

:ooc: Persuade roll? 
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 5, 1, total 10

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Let's all just assume that no roll was necessary there, shall we?

Character sheet

Telcontar

The halfling had spent more time among the dwarves then any of the other companions. Through the long winters he learned much from Rorin and Bandy watched Bofri and knew that the woodman's words fell upon a heart of stone.

"Master Bofri, this would be a short delay, and let us undertake it as the first sign of your stewardship of the road. Theses raiders will not just trouble the woodmen. When your road is cleared who would be willing to pay the toll if brigands are allowed to raid so near its mouth? I say this to you, if you are to be the Road Warden you must protecct that charge as well as to maintaint it. When these foes are slain let us place the heads of these orcs upon stakes at the opening of the road as a sign to all that the Warden has returned. This slight delay will proove to your gain in the end."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Oct 27, 2016, 08:02 AM #26 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2016, 08:05 AM by tomcat
"Er, well..." the Dwarf stammered at Bandy's logic. The urgency from Arbogast was not lost on him - it was just that Bofri had been working for four years, thus far, to prepare his quest. Whatever the Fire-watcher was not able to convey, the Hobbit did and so Bofri acquiesced. "Very well, though I ask that we lose as little time on this side venture as possible. I want to make sure I have as much of this year for my work."

With his words, Esgalwen turned to Geirbald, "So, Woodman - will you leave the safety of your forest and aid us in this hunt? Together we can put an end to these raiders faster and our Dwarven friend can return us to our true journey." The Woodman leader looked at the woman and his face was non-committal. "Oh come now," the Ranger continued, "surely you and your band of outlaws have nothing better to do."

Geirbald began to chuckle, "Outlaws? What makes you think we are outlaws?"

"For if you were not, you would show allegiance to one of your kinsmen's steads, instead of just to each other. I know the life of living outside of civilization, in the company of others whom you rely on and the independence that comes from it. I know the Woodman guard their own, but i have heard of no rangers of the vale. So, either you and your band are hiding from something or someone, or you have lost your homes due to some infraction. Still, you protect the woods you love...so what is it?"

Not liking how closely Esgalwen had hit the mark, Geirbald's face hardened, "We are no outlaws, lady, due to some infraction - though some might think. I consider this a Brotherhood instead. As to the reasons why we have gathered and make service only to ourselves - well, we have not known each other long enough to reveal such tales."

"Fair enough, Geirbald," said Esgalwen in an understanding tone. "Then let us get to know each other through action and perhaps when we are done, we can share our stories over mead and meat. What say you?"

The grin broke again across the woodman's face, "Very well..."

Geirbald immediately began to give orders to his companions - those that would join him and those that would remain to protect their woods. Once done, the Company's numbers were increased by five capable archers led by their chief. It was Bofri who spoke first when everyone was gathered, "Though it be agreed upon to do this task - it is not mine. Instead, I will scout this region of the forest and will wait for your return. Okay?"

Rorin was disappointed in his kin - for surely the best way to make allies and to garner aid in his endeavours was to provide something in return, but there was no changing of Bofri's mind. With a nod to the Dwarf and the Woodmen who would remain behind, Geirbald led the group off in the direction that he knew the raiders had gone.

disench4nted

Rorin hung back for a moment as the Company began moving and sidled his pony up next to the other dwarf.

"Will you not join us laddy? If you mean to take up the mantle of the Roadwarden then you must command respect and allegiance from the people of Mirkwood. You will need to garrison your forts with capable scouts and fighters who will follow your lead and obey your commands. With the Shadow gathering it's strength in this forest you will need some measure of military might to hold the road. The Company of the Helm will not be at your disposal and may not be able to help with such things. Now this band of woodsmen may be just the type of person that you need to garrison your forts. They know the forest and clearly have some skill at scouting and with the sword and bow.

Fighting men will not be quick to come to your aid if you will not stand with them in their time of need. Come now! Help us hunt down these enemies who would threaten our way of life! Since when does a Dwarf back down from a fight?"

With that Rorin turned to catch up with the others.

:ooc:

I'd like to roll inspire instead of persuasion I'm not sure which fits better here.

tomcat

:ooc: Give me a roll of either, Steve.

TN 12

disench4nted

:ooc:

TN 12 Inspire
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 1, total 3