• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 04:27 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Road Begins...

Started by tomcat, Oct 21, 2016, 10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Departure date from Rhosgobel - March 16, 2952 T.A.
Travel time: 15 hexes (150 miles) modifier: x2  Horseback: 40 mpd Total Days: 8 Fatigue tests: 2 @ TN 14 [Lore rolls prior for advantages]

Two days later, the companions set out once more.

The trail they followed edged along the western eaves of Mirkwood, never really under its boughs, but certainly within its shade. Bofri led the way upon his small, shaggy, but thick-legged pony, which was piled high with gear and supplies. The Dwarf appeared to be very content now that he had companions to help him take on the monumental task of clearing, and repairing, the Old Dwarf Road that crossed the vast width of the forest.

"I spent the last few years," he said to Bandy, who rode beside him, "investigating the western entrance of the road. I then journeyed all the way around the southern end of Mirkwood on an expedition to find where the old road exited the forest. Once found... oh look! It is the Field of Heroes."

"What is it you say?" inquired the Hobbit, not sure if he had lost the conversation from boredom, or if the cool early morning had caused him to drift asleep in the saddle.

"The Field of Heroes," said Bofri as he pointed to the north and west. All the companions looked to where he gestured and could see a few pavilions set up on the wide green swath of field that was just outside the forest proper. It was not new to any of them for they had passed it before, but it was interesting to see the few tents that were there and those that were being erected. Soon, the field would be filled with shelters of many clans of the many wood-men who came to this place to test their mettle in battle. It was said that in times past, those times where the clans of the vale united to defend their lands against foes, they would meet the enemy here. Tradition now was that the strongest champions of each clan would come here with their entourage and train, practice, and challenge one another to test of combat. It would last all summer long and people would come and go at need, or desire. There was times, too, when friendly challenges were made between the clans and the folk of said groups would travel here, and thus great fairs would happen.

Bofri smiled, "It is good to see that men, like Dwarves, muster their strongest and always keep their skills honed."

The company stopped for a few minutes and watched as the Wood-men erected tents, set up smithies to keep weapons in good repair, squared off fighting grounds, and placed targets of varied types. A few of the younger lads waved to the travelers, but then were called back to their tasks. The interest waned and the companions spurred their horses once more.

The days passed.

Bofri made the business of his road the primary conversation, whenever he could. "Since arriving in Mirkwood four years earlier, I have surveyed both ends of the Old Forest Road outside the
forest. I believe that my ancestors wound the road with potent spells to preserve it, and that it is still mostly intact. It is my intention to travel to the Millfort."

"What is that?" asked Esgalwen.

Surprisingly, it was Rorin who replied, "The Millfort is one of the three larger keeps that Dwarves built to protect the road. They are said to be along the road, and break it into three lengths. Each section was protected and maintained in days of old, by Dwarf patrols that lived within the forts. There was said to be housing for travelers, as well."

"Indeed! That is true," added Bofri. "The Millfort was built roughly two-fifths of the way along the road, so it should be easy to locate it."

Rorin noticed what his Dwarf companion did not say - according to Dwarven records, the Staff of the Roadwarden, the traditional symbol of office for the master of the road, was said to reside within the Millfort.

Rain began to fall on day four, but spirits did not seem to fall. The rain washed the land clean of winter's clutter and caused the trees and plants to awaken. Soon bright, colorful patches of blooms filled the foliage everywhere, and drifted on the breeze. The fragrances were wonderful and lazy, fat, bees buzzed about in search of nectar.

Rain began to fall on day four, but spirits did not seem to fall. The rain washed the land clean of winter's clutter and caused the trees and plants to awaken. Soon bright, colorful patches of blooms filled the foliage everywhere, and drifted on the breeze. The fragrances were wonderful and lazy, fat, bees buzzed about in search of nectar.

Grimbeorn pointed to the west, "Stonehallow lies there, should we need to take refuge in this area." Those who knew the location quietly listened, while the Beorning told those that did not of what he spoke. In his travels between the Carrock and Rhosgobel, he had made it one of his stops. In this conversation, too, both Rorin and Bofri added what content they knew.

Stonehallow was an ancient fortification in the middle of the East Anduin Vales. It was once a Dwarven quarry, dug to build the Old Forest Road. The stone-hungry Dwarves created a huge steep-sided gash in the hillside, and Men later built walls along the edges of the gash and towers to guard it. Now, it was a refuge for the Woodmen who could not reach the forest in time of war. The caves at the back of Stonehallow contained provisions, and the open space of the old quarry was large enough to hold thousands of animals. When danger threatened, the herders drove their animals through the gates of Stonehallow, then manned the walls.

The Woodmen always stationed a few brave warriors at Stonehallow, to keep the place in good repair and to ensure that no outlaws or Orcs conquered the refuge and denied it to them. By the standards of the Dwarves or the Men of the South, Stonehallow was like a child's model of a defensive redoubt, but it served its purpose for the Wood-men.

Next came the Long Barrows – mounds crowned in simbelmynë, the white Evermind flower, held the honoured dead from the earliest days. It was said that the oldest mound was the tomb of a great lord who led his people out of the north to settle along the Anduin and was counted among the Wise.

Atop the barrows was a complicated arrangement of earthworks and standing stones. Those who could understand the movement of the heavens said that these stones formed an astronomical calendar, and that the changes of the seasons and the turning of the years could be predicted by studying the stones and the shadows they cast upon the land. At times of turmoil, the stones may even be used to predict the future by those with the lore to read them.

The companions passed the hours of each day in quiet, meditative riding, or lengthy chats. Nights were spent around the campfire, which was dug low into the ground, listening to the cacophony of Mirkwood as the wildlife awakened with the new spring.

When at last they came to the Barrows of the North-men, the company became more cautious. They would be re-entering the forest soon in pursuit of Bofri's quest and the road that cut through. Unlike the barrows to the south, these barrows came with a reputation of evil. Will-o-wisps were said to flicker atop the mounds and lead any that could be ensorcelled deep into the woods, where they would be lost forever. Other rumors spoke of hungry wights within, not unlike those that the companions had dealt with the previous Fall.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Tests for travel:

Lore test TN 14
Arbogast lore 0d
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2

Bandy lore 3d
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 3, total 9

Esgalwen lore 1d
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3

Grimbeorn lore 1d
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

Rorin lore 1d
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Results...

Arbogast will call upon Mirkwood Lore for an auto-success, 1 advantage die
Bandy success, 1 advantage die
Esgalwen failed
Grimbeorn will call upon Mirkwood Lore for an auto-success, 1 advantage die
Rorin success, 1 advantage die

Travel tests - 2 at TN 14
Arbogast travel 2d
:00: #1 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 6, total 10

:00: #2 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 4, total 7

Bandy travel 2d
:00: #1 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 4, total 8

:00: #2 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 2, total 6

Esgalwen travel 3d
:00: #1 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 5, total 15

:00: #2 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 6, total 13

Grimbeorn travel 3d
:00: #1 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 4, 5, total 12

:00: #2 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 2, 4, total 8

Rorin travel 3d
:00: #1 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 4, 4, total 9

:00: #2 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 4, 4, total 10

tomcat

:ooc: Bandy and Rorin will each need to roll their advantage die on one test, other wise we have two fails...

Bandy
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

Rorin

tomcat

:ooc: Bandy has his fatigue increased for travel.

Otherwise, no other problems come from riding the distance to the road.

I have updated each PC for successful tests :csu:

More narrative to come in a minute.

tomcat

The shade of the forest consumed them as they turned their horses now north and east.

Sunshine sprinkled them whenever the wind blew the new leaves above, for the forest's foliage was still not fully grown in, and the light kept their spirits up. The forest was their home, but eight days upon the relative safety of the valley plain added a new apprehension to once more entering the wood.

They traveled for the rest of the day and the sun soon fell behind the horizon, casting the western sky in a great splash of orange and red. Bofri spoke, "The road can be no more than two more days' travel, but let us stop soon and make camp. It would be best if we are all well-rested once we come upon the road and begin to forage deeper along its route."

Everyone else found this thought logical and it was decided that they would stop in the next comfortable clearing that could be found. But as if in reply to the Dwarf's words, another challenge came from the trees surrounding them, "LO! Riders! State your business and keep hands from any weapons!"

Looking about, Esgalwen could see movement among the trees - skilled were their ambushers for they moved without truly revealing themselves.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Doug, don't forget I have Twice-baked Honeycakes (meant to get that added to the narrative earlier) which increases Fellowship by 1, reduces Fatigue TN by my Wisdom score (5).
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

The Hobbit peered into the shadows of the trees to try and make out the figures that lurked there. The companions had already been spotted so the Hobbit was not concerned about being seen. Reaching to his side he drew forth the horn he had recieved from Sunstead. Holding one hand open in the air he blew a great blast on his horn so that they men would know that they had been spotted and that the company had no wish to fight them.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

The Fire-Watcher raises one hand in a show of peace, for those with murderous intent would already have attacked, were that their intention.  The other hand he keeps fixed on the pommel of his saddle, for he is, as yet, an uncertain rider.

"We seek a passage through the trees.  No more or less."

:ooc: another Riddle roll, if necessary:
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 2, total 5
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Esgalwen will try to use Awe (1d) and add a Hope if it needed
TN 14 awe 1d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10

The clarion call of Bandy's horn filled the wood sending birds to flight, and the crash of underbrush meant that small rodents also retreated for better cover. His companions all turned at the sound, while Arbogast moved forward his hand raised. The echo of the horn faded as the Fire-watcher called out to the unseen. A moment later, men - and a few women - began to emerge from the trees, their garb well-colored to camouflage them from sight.

One man separated from the rest and moved to intercept Arbogast, but keeping a distance. In his hands was a bow with an arrow nocked, "Your goal was not the question asked...your business is what interests us."

"And passage through the wood is what was answered!" The voice was Esgalwen, as she spurred up next to Arbogast. "We are travelers out of Rhosgobel on an errand of our own and we bring no trouble with us, unless it is asked! Now, if you be thieves then know that we are no easy prey and we promise you that it will not only be our blood that is spilled this day!"

tomcat

Oct 23, 2016, 03:52 PM #10 Last Edit: Oct 23, 2016, 03:58 PM by tomcat
:ooc: She uses 1 Hope  :csu:

I wasn't sure if I made reference to Esgalwen's father previously in story and used a different name. If anyone remembers if I did, let me know where it was so I can make the story correct. I prefer the name Eradan, so this is what it will be.

There was a moment of tension in the air, but then the archer's face broke into a smile as he deferred to the young woman. "That is a promise I do not wish you to fulfill, dear woman...and we are no thieves. I am Geirbald and I call these woods my own and these are my brothers and sisters."

The man released his hold on the arrow that remained hooked on the string, as he swept his arm around. It was evident to the Company that he was a woodman along with the group that surrounded the road, but they looked a haggard bunch.

"I meant no threat to you all, lest you were those which we hunted, but it was apparent when we saw you that you were not. Still," another grin broke across his chiseled face, "we needed to be certain. Come - tell me your name, good woman, for you are no Woodman, though a few of your friends are. I see there are Dwarves among you, too, and one that looks like he is a Dwarf among Dwarves!" Geirbald guffawed at his own joke about Bandy and his folk around him also began to chuckle. "Yet, he packs a set of lungs to blow such a call."

Esgalwen felt her anger ebb, "I am Esgalwen, daughter of Eradan, and I am a Ranger out of the south. I ride with my companions - Arbogast the Fire-watchter; Grimbeorn, son of Beorn; Bandobras Bracegirdle of the Shire; and Rorin of the Lonely Mountain. Joining us, too, is Bofri, son of Bofur, to whom we have agreed to assist in a quest that is our own."

"A quest? Noble indeed then must be your cause." It was apparent that Gierbald deemed himself humorous, even as he chuckled again at his comment. "But you are not the ones we sought...perhaps you have seen them? Fifteen men accompanied by orcs! They carry shields with the device of a blood moon." At this, the Woodman's demeanor changed and the hunter was now in his eyes.

tomcat

:ooc: I found and correcter her father's name in two places - one on the spreadsheet I use to list all the characters that have been named thus far in our story, and also where she introduced herself in Mountain Hall.

If anyone knows of another location where she named her father, I would appreciate it. I like consistency! Thanks!

Telcontar

"Perhaps then we can ride closer and speak instead of shouting our bussiness and news through the wood?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

"Please do," answered Geirbald.

disench4nted

Rorin shrugged and urged his pony towards the woodline, "You say they wore the Blood Moon? What news do you have of them? Some among us have been troubled by them as well."