• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 01:12 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Spiders, spiders, everywhere - round 2

Started by tomcat, Jul 06, 2016, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 06, 2016, 07:41 PM Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016, 07:05 AM by tomcat
Situation: The caravan of Ceawin of Sunstead has been attacked by an unknown number of giant spiders of Mirkwood...

SPIDERS

Combat Advantage dice:
Arbogast 1
Rorin 2

Situation Modifiers:
• Company has initiative [even though ambushed, more than half passed their Surprise tests -  :csu: for those that earned AP]

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• Esgalwen is ensnared, must make an Athletics TN 13 or be held in place and suffer Parry to be halved
• Idunn is ensnared, must make an Athletics TN 13 or be held in place and suffer Parry to be halved
• Rorin is ensnared, must make an Athletics TN 13 or be held in place and suffer Parry to be halved

Mass Combat Status:
• 1 spider dead

PC/NPC PARRY ARMOUR HOPE [HATE] ENDURANCE
Arbogast
Bandy
Esgalwen
Grimbeorn
Idunn
Rorin
6/9 [woodcrafty] (shield +3)
9 (shield n/a)
6/9 [skirmisher] (shield n/a)
6/9 [great strength] (shield +4)
6/9 [woodcrafty]
4 (shield n/a)
1d (headgear +1)
1d (headgear n/a)
1d (headgear n/a)
none (headgear +1)
2d (headgear n/a)
5d (headgear n/a)
13/16
16/18
10/11
11/12
15/15
10/10
26/26
22/22
13/25 [WOUNDED, WEARY]
31/31
25/25
34/34
Spiders
4 for all
2d for all
2 for all
12 for all
spider1 (G) dead; spider2 (E) dead; spider3 (A) 10/12; spider4 (R) dead; spider5 (I) dead; spider6 (B) dead; spider7 (I) dead; spider8 (G) 7/12; spider9 (R) 8/12

STANCETN (+parry)PC / LMCOptions...
Forward - action order 1
Close combat
TN 6+EsgalwenForward Stance maneuvers
Open - action order 2
Close combat
TN 9+Grimbeorn,
Idunn,
Arbogast
Open Stance maneuvers
Defensive - action order 3
Close combat
TN 12+RorinDefensive Stance maneuvers
Rearward - action order 4
Ranged combat
Must be 2 other PC's in Close Combat
May not use if outnumbered 2:1
TN 12+BandyRearward Stance maneuvers
Any
Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level
of opponents
noneMay safely flee from the scene of combat

MASS COMBAT
:~~: One of the East Bight-men is slain. If rolled again in the following round, Ceawin is gravely wounded.
1, 2The allies are hard-pressed to hold the enemy back. One of the East Bight-men is wounded – or, if any are already wounded, then one of them is slain. The defensive circle is being pressed - if this is rolled again, the spiders also slay a horse.
3, 4The East Bight-men hold their line and keep fighting.
5, 6The allies fight bravely, pushing the enemy back. Black spider blood spills across the forest floor. If this result is rolled twice in a row, then the allies slay one of the spiders!
7, 8 One of the spiders is slain.
9, 10 Two of the spiders is slain.
:g:Three of the spiders are slain.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Almost without thinking, the Fire-watcher receives the pale, sticky web on his shield, quickly slashing it free. 

As the closest spider turns to press him, he uses a high-bulging root as a makeshift wall, slashing at its twitching mandibles as it approaches. 
As he fights, he tries desperately to read the subtle signs of the forest, hoping that the dark and twisted wood may yet conceal some nearby feature that may be bent to their defence.  But he cannot see past the creatures that beset him, nor hear past the drum of his heartbeat and the scream of Esgalwen. 

:ooc:
Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 1, 1, 3, total 6

I'd like to make use of his Natural Watchfulness ability (pp 112-13), but it doesn't seem like he'd have the time to concentrate while fighting two spiders at once. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: It's also obviously distracting him from fighting...  :roll:

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: did you have a better roll in the previous thread?

You also have a bonus die and Hope.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'd written those off, but then I had a look at the spiders' Parry rating.  Let's give the ol' advantage die a workout:

Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Close enough!  I'll spend Hope to put the total over the top.  :csu:

Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Is Idunn still able to attack if she is entangled?

tomcat

Jul 07, 2016, 02:59 AM #7 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2016, 12:25 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Hey Ayrn,

When a spider makes a successful ensnare the following special ability applies:

Seize the Victim
: If the creature's main form of attack has hit, the creature may hold on to the target to reduce the mobility of the victim: a seized victim cannot change stance, and sees its Parry rating reduced to half (rounding fractions up).

A hero may free himself by forfeiting his attack and rolling Athletics against a TN equal to 10, plus the Attribute level of the seizing creature.

The seizing creature cannot attack with its main weapon as long as it is seizing the target (but can freely use a secondary attack if it possesses one).

So, you can attack if ensnared but will suffer the defensive consequences, or you use your action this round to free yourself.

tomcat

Esgalwen worried about poison. She had heard tales of these creatures being deadly poisonous, but this was her first time facing them. Sheer terror was beginning to fill her as she felt the silk webs being weaved tighter around her. All of her friends were engaged and if she did not stop the spider from wrapping her up, the two attacking her could quickly drag her away and no one would know.

The Dúnadan weighed her options and determined that one opponent, even with her body snared, was better than two. With all her strength, she swung at the spider weaving its silk - the one she had wounded moments before. Esgalwen wobbled on her feet as she swung knowing that her defenses would not be strong if she missed.

:ooc: Esgalwen attacks the wounded spider
TN 10 longsword 3d, shadow-bane 1d
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 2, 5, 1, total 10

:dmg: 7   edge: 9   injury: 18

tomcat

:ooc: It's not a great attack, but it is a success and that makes a kill with 7 END damage.

Arbogast gets a success, too, and does another 5 END damage.

Idunn is still entangled unless she wants to spend a hope - or maybe Ayrn wants to re-consider his action based on the answer I posted to his question.

Eclecticon

:ooc: I haven't been keeping track of which spider I've been attacking.  Looking at the top post, I'm not even sure there are still two of them.  Could you give me a quick sitrep, please?

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: All PC'S started with two spiders attacking them - even Bandy, though he killed one in the first shot before it could leap. Now all PC'S have one spider attacking them - except Arbogast who has two.

One of your spiders has taken 10 END loss; the other is healthy.

The men of Sunstead are also being engaged by 2 spiders each, which you - or I - can engage with.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Cool, thanks.  I got the impression, based on your description, that the other scout had wounded one of the spiders and I think that's where I got confused. 

Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: I'd like to reconsider and just attack.

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 3, 5, total 10

Posterboy

Jul 07, 2016, 08:20 PM #14 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2016, 08:24 PM by Posterboy
A spider suddenly reared up in front of Idunn and, with sticky webbing, attempted to ensnare the woman. The shieldmaiden wasted not a moment, and jabbed the razor sharp point of her spear into the exposed underbelly of the foul creature.

Sindjarfr yipped and growled at the spider, keeping the beast slightly unbalanced.

:ooc: So, I think Idunn hits the creature for at least 9 damage, plus because she rolled the 8 on the feat die, the spider needs to roll a protection text (TN = 18), yes? The hound also is harassing the spider which make the create count as weary when make the attack (not sure if the would have affected the spider's attempt to ensnare Idunn too?).