• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 06:44 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Fenbridge

Started by tomcat, Sep 29, 2015, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The companions breathed fast as their bodies began to relax from the combat. Esgalwen wiped her blade across Slurg's filthy tunic, leaving more of his blood to stain the cloth. Rorin stepped over the dead, eyeing each as he did with his hammer at the ready.

The forest gave a vibe that each could feel that seemed to beat with their hearts and breath. As they calmed and the bloodlust left them, the stink that had emanated from the forest morass ebbed, too. Arbogast perked an ear up when the sound of large group of fluttering wings took to the air from some tree where they had perched.

Radagast quickly made rounds to each of the companions to check them for any wounds - orc poison was notorious and even the most minor of cuts could kill a man. Once done, he took a seat himself. The others could see he was spent from his engagement with whatever foe had been present.

Esgalwen walked to where the dead form of Kor lay and saw near him a longsword in its scabbard. The work was meticulous and she immediately recognized the maker's mark. It was Ardil's blade - the one given him by his father before he had left Gondor those many months before.

The faint, raspy voice of Radagast was heard breaking the new silence. "We are close now," he breathed. 'Within the next few days we will be at the foundations of the sorcerer's hill." All of the companions could see that even the brown wizard was being impacted by the terrible corruption that was southern Mirkwood. "We must decide...do we make for the Fenbridge or risk the swamps that surround the hill?"

The weight of the decision and the task still at hand fell on all of them, and each companion took a moment to rest. Before them was the tangled weave of Mirkwood that they would need to pass through until at last they came to the foulness that was Dol Guldur.

:ooc: I need two more corruption tests TN 16 from all PC's - this will be the last tests I need for corruption until you actually enter Dol Guldur - and will constitute the needs for days 9 and 10.

Orophin Corruption TN 16
TN 16 Wisdom ♦♦
:00: day 9 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 2, total 5

:00: day 10 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Sep 29, 2015, 09:22 PM #1 Last Edit: Sep 29, 2015, 09:24 PM by Eclecticon
Arbogast weighs the matter for a moment, considering the choice, then answers.  "I am for the swamps.  I know nothing of the Fenbridge, but though the Necroma- Sauron! may have left his fortress, the Shadow clearly has not.  Any useful stronghold will doubtless have been claimed by orcs or yet fouler things, and will be watched."

:ooc: Corruption rolls, TN16:
Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 4, total 7

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Do we have any Advantage dice that carry over? Or do they?
TN 16 Corruption
:00:
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 1, 6, total 11

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Also, can you spend Hope to stave off the effects of rolling  :~~: ?
TN 16 Corruption
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 3, 6, total 11

Gwaithlim Weapons

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Crazy... utter complete failure and total success *shakes head*
Gwaithlim Weapons

disench4nted

After ensuring that each of the fallen orcs would never trouble them again, Rorin sat on a log to allow his blood to cool for a time. It had been some years since he had engaged orcs in full combat and he did not relish the thought that there was more to come.

"Tell us of this Fenbridge wizard, I'd gladly give anything but my beard to leave this forest and have hard ground under my feet again."

:ooc: Corruption tests:

Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Rolled 2d6 : 3, 6, total 9

Rolled 1d12 : 4, total 4

Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7

disench4nted

:ooc: I'll use a success die or hope point to pass the first test if I can, but I'll leave the second one.

GandalfOfBorg

"I don't like the idea of mucking around in swamps and passing by a fortress that, yes, could have enemy, but also could be a safe haven for us," said Grimbeorn.  "Even if it is held, we should at least attempt to gauge its strength.  We came for information and we should gather all we can."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Sep 30, 2015, 06:41 AM #8 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2015, 09:48 AM by tomcat
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Sep 30, 2015, 03:53 AM:ooc: Do we have any Advantage dice that carry over? Or do they?

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Sep 30, 2015, 03:56 AM:ooc: Also, can you spend Hope to stave off the effects of rolling  :~~: ?

:ooc: Hey Matt, advantage dice might be left over but they would be either for Travel or Combat, and would need to be used in said actions. They do not affect Corruption rolls.

Yes, you can use Hope when you roll the  :~~: . Understand, for the most part, the  :~~: just means that the die roll resulted in a 0. It is only when something has special effects or ramifications when the  :~~: is rolled that it means more. If you use hope against Corruption, it is based on Heart.

Arbogast gains 2 temporary shadow  :csu:
Orophin gains 2 temporary shadow  :csu:
Grimbeorn gains 1 temporary shadow  :csu:
Rorin uses a Hope and gains 1 temporary shadow  :csu:

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Sep 30, 2015, 06:53 AM #9 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2015, 06:55 AM by tomcat
"Foul marshes surround Dol Guldur on three sides," replied Radagast. "The easiest way to cross these swamps is via the Fenbridge, a snaking line of orc-built crossings that run from hillock to hillock, and the only way onto the Fenbridge is through Fenbridge Castle. Though it sounds odd, but the Fenbridge would be an easier route to the sorcerer's hill then to trudge the swamps."

"But orcs hold the Fenbridge, yes?" asked Orophin.

"We do not know," answered Radagast.

"But we do know, wizard. The man we found in the woods, nigh on two years ago, the one that Mogdred's people came to slay...he reported that orcs did indeed hold the way."

"That was two years past," argued Radagast.

"What are you saying, Radagast? That the news this man brought is no longer valid due to time?" Orophin was not haughty towards the wizard, in fact he enjoyed the strange man's ways, but neither was he willing to throw his life on a hunch. "If it is held, can we cross the swamps? If it is held will it provide the information we seek?"

"Yes," said Radagast, becoming frustrated. The companions could see that the dismal wood was beginning to effect even the Brown Wizard. "We could cross the fens, but I fear more danger and time lost using that route. Like Grimbeorn said, better to know. As for the information we seek - no, we must make our way into the black fortress."

tomcat

Sep 30, 2015, 07:26 AM #10 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2015, 10:04 AM by tomcat
Bandobras strode over to where Esgalwen sat on a fallen tree, holding a longsword over her knees. He determined the debate on which way to go was best left for wiser minds. The Hobbit noticed first the etching that ran the length of the blade that was traced in thin gold. The craftsmanship of the weapon was clearly that of a master-smith and he asked, "You know this weapon?"

Esgalwen looked up at the Hobbit. She had not heard his approach and she was suddenly embarrassed, as she wiped at her eyes. She nodded and proceeded to tell the young Bandy the story of Ardil, son of Hardin.

"He was a handsome, young Dúnadan - not but thirty years of age. I know that may seem normal for a man, but the lives of the Dúnedain are longer than most, and so he was just entering service to the ranks of Gondor. His father, Hardin, was lame after a wound he had taken during the Fell Winter of 2911 and Ardil was  not yet born.

"When his son came to age and put forth his desire to join the Rangers of Ithilien to safeguard the eastern fences of Gondor, those that met with the boundaries of Mordor, Hardin could not have been more proud. He bestowed unto him this blade. Ardil took to naming it Celegurth, the swift death, though I believe it had a name much older. Ardil's father is of direct Númenórean descent and it is said that this family heirloom came across the sea with the Faithful, having been forged in the Land of the Gift." Her eyes were far away as she spoke.

Whatever its history, the young hobbit could see that this weapon was of certain great value.

Posterboy

:ooc: Here are Esgalwen's two corruption tests:

Test #1 (TN = 16):

Wisdom: 3d6 : 2, 1, 5, total 8

Feat Die: 1d12 : 2, total 2

Cultural Blessing re-roll if needed: 1d12 : 10, total 10

Test #2 (TN = 16):

Wisdom: 3d6 : 4, 3, 4, total 11

Feat Die: 1d12 : 7, total 7

Cultural Blessing re-roll if needed: 1d12 : 4, total 4

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Ayrn, good to see you getting on the boards. I hope things are working out.

Is this Cultural Blessing a House Creation when you designed your Ranger? It is fine if so, just wanted to make sure. I saw Blood of Númenór, but I didn't know what it did.

I guess I should've PM'ed you with the stuff on Ardil so that you could have given narrative and dialogue for this scene. Sorry, man!

Arbogast gains 2 temporary shadow  :csu:
Orophin gains 2 temporary shadow  :csu:
Grimbeorn gains 1 temporary shadow  :csu:
Rorin uses a Hope and gains 1 temporary shadow  :csu:
Esgalwen is successful on both tests  :csu:

Posterboy

:ooc: Looks like she passes the tests  ;D

Esgalwen smiled at the hobbit with soft eyes. "You are very kind, Master Bandy. And courageous. I am glad to share these adventures with you."

Tying her own sword to her pack, she fixed Ardil's blade to her belt. She would, of course, look to return the blade to Ardil's family. For now, though, she wished the blade to be allowed to avenge the death of her kin. She had little doubt the opportunity would come soon enough.

Turning her attention to the others and the conversation regarding how they should approach the Necromancer's tower, the ranger agreed with the many of her companions. "A dark spell seems to remain on these woods. Did you see how the land eagerly looks to lap up the blood spilt upon it? And who can say what dark pets of the Necromancer lay under the surface of those fetid waters?

"Orcs I know. I would say we look to stay on the path, straying only in great need."

tomcat

Sep 30, 2015, 10:45 AM #14 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2015, 11:31 AM by tomcat
Orophin having heard the Brown Wizard's knowledge of their goal, and then Esgalwen's argument of why they should take the Fenbridge, came to his own conclusion. "No path is wise in this part of the forest, nor is our task, but still it must be done and to do so is to confront the enemy you know. I am with Grimbeorn and Esgalwen, let us take the bridge."

:ooc: Rorin and Bandy are the only ones who need to chime in with their choices to get the consensus of the company.