• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 05:43 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Desperate melee! - Round 1

Started by tomcat, Oct 07, 2005, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Oct 07, 2005, 03:57 PM Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 12:42 PM by tomcat
Description: Scatha sits in the courtyard of the castle before the donjon - Edrahil, Durgil, Daelhun, Nain and Fengel all approach from the front and Dirnhael and Camentir attack from the rear

Physical Modifiers: Each round, the company will be hindered by Scatha's Terror
Scatha's Terror effects:
Intimidate (Fear) +35 / 2 = +17
Roll(2d6)+17: 3,1,+17 Total:21 - the Terror will have a range/visual effect based on the chart below:

Opposed Willpower test -
Just hearing the Dragon: 1/4 the Terror roll
Seeing the Dragon from 100+ yards: 1/2 the Terror Roll
Seeing the Dragon from 25-99 yards: 3/4 the Terror Roll
Anything closer requires the full Willpower test

Situational Modifiers: Nain is Injured (Hardy) -1 and missing his axe (unless you have a good reason why he would have it), Edrahil is Wounded -5, Fengel is Dazed (Hardy) -0

Initiative*:
Scatha - 16
Camentir - 12
Durgil - 12
Fengel - 10
Dirnhael - 10
Nain - 8
Daelhun - 6
Edrahil - 5

*Remember to roll your next round's initiative at the end of your posts

Scatha was not a young Dragon, but neither was he old. Still, his body reflected the many scars and wounds that he had suffered at the end of the First Age and the cataclysm that occurred with the destruction of Angband. The Dragon had slept many countless years in hiding, slowly healing, when the wraith-king came to request his aid. More time and healing would have been necessary to fully recover, but the Dragon knew he was strong enough to deal with these puny people.

He listened to the voice yell out to him and immediately knew Edrahil for what he was, a Sindar, an Elf, one of those that for so long had been a bane to his kind. The Dragon gave a gurgled laugh and spoke, "YOU WISH TO ENGAGE ME! DEAR ELF, I AM BEYOND YOUR ABILITIES TO OVERCOME! YOU AND THESE FEEBLE MEN ARE UPON DEATH'S DOOR AND FOOLISHLY YOU SPAR ME WITH WORDS! I AM SCATHA! I AM MIGHT!"

Scatha Bewilders with his voice:
Persuade (Bewilder) +16, Specialty +2, Bearing +10
ACTION 1
Roll(2d6)+28: 6,1,+28 Total:35
All who hear him must make an opposed Wisdom test or lose 1 ACTION this round on a Failure/Complete Failure or 2 ACTIONS on a Disastrous Failure

Edrahil's Wisdom test TN 35
Roll(2d6)+3: 3,4,+3 Total:10 Disastrous Failure, Loses 2 ACTIONS
Edrahil speaks powerfully to Scatha TN 5
ACTION 3
Wits +3, MB +5, Wounded -5, AA -5, Terror -2
Roll(2d6)-4: 3,6,-4 Total:5 SUCCESS

The Dragons voice boomed in the night air, yet undaunted by his words, Edrahil responded, "FORGET THEE NOT SCATHA THE MIGHTY - IT WAS A MAN, AKIN TO THOSE WITH WHOM I ALLY THAT STRUCK THE KILLING BLOW TO GLAURUNG, FATHER OF DRAGONS! SLIGHT THEM NOT IN THEIR COURAGE AND WILL, TO YOUR FOLLY!"

With the mentioning of Glaurung's name, Scatha became incensed and he slammed his mass forward into the gate tower and wall of Eldanar's outer barrier and the structure began to tumble apart crashing down into snow and icy water.

Scatha ACTION 2 - advance and smash forward tower with body mass

"RAAAHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!" roared the Dragon as a flame emanated from his mouth, licking up over his long snout like a terrible tongue.

All characters must make a Willpower test against Scatha's Terror, TN above. The level of effect will determine how well you acheive any actions (Use Fear penalties)

Dirnhael - though I never expensed you this in your last Advancement, I am extending you the following Edge for a one time use... Pawn of Prophecy. Through this Edge I am giving you a +15 bonus that you may use in this battle. You may use it all at once in one ACTION, or you can break it down into smaller bonuses to use in multiple ACTIONS, but no fraction of the bonus can be less than +5.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Oct 07, 2005, 07:37 PM #1 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 05:24 AM by tomcat
Edrahil (80' away) Opposes Scatha's Terror TN 16
Willpower +6
Roll(2d6)+6: 4,3,+6 Total:13 - Edrahil suffers -2 to all ACTIONS this round, I changed the post above to reflect this

------------------------

Camentir (under 25') Opposes Scatha's Terror TN 21
Willpower +3, Valour +4
Roll(2d6)+7: 5,1,+7 Total:13 (2 Courage) = FAILURE, -2 to all ACTIONS this round

Camentir Opposes Scatha's Bewilderment TN 35
Wisdom +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,5,+2 Total:10 DISASTROUS FAILURE, loses 2 ACTIONS this round

Camentir attacks Scatha with his sword TN 12
AC +10, Specialty +2, Fell-handed +2, Warwise +1, Injured (Hardy) -1, Size +8, Terror -2
ACTION 3
Roll(2d6)+20: 2,1,+20 Total:23 SUCCESS
Damage if not parried: Roll(2d6)+8: 1,4,+8 Total:13 doesn't penetrate armour
ACTION 4
Roll(2d6)+15: 2,4,+15 Total:21 SUCCESS
Damage if not parried: Roll(2d6)+8: 6,4,+8 Total:18 (-16 armour) = 2 damage
ACTION 5
Roll(2d6)+10: 1,4,+10 Total:15 SUCCESS
Damage if not parried: Roll(2d6)+8: 1,3,+8 Total:12 doesn't penetrate armour

Scatha felt the slightest twinge of pain and realized that the Elf had distracted him enough to allow one of his companions to sneak up on him. How could that have happened? Stretching his long neck about to look over his shoulder and behind, Scatha tried to turn in his tight confine.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Oct 07, 2005, 09:32 PM #2 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 12:46 PM by tomcat
Terror test (TN 21)
Willpower +2
Roll(2d6)+2:6,3,+2 Total:11 - FAIL (-2) to tests

Bewilderment test
(TN 35) OOC: Yeah, right...
Wisdom +2, Terror -2
Roll(2d6)+0:6,2,+0 Total:8 - FAIL (loses 2 actions)

ACTIONS 1 & 2 lost to Bewilderment

ACTION 3 - Attack Scatha (TN 12, but the target is unaware and the scale difference is enormous...)
Dirnhael's AC (Longsword) +13, Anduring bonus +5 (dragon bane), Warwise +1, Specialty Bonus +2, Size +8, Terror -2 = +27
Roll(2d6)+27:3,4,+27 Total:34
Damage (+10 dragon bane, dragon's scale value is halved): Roll(2d6)+16:5,1,+16 Total:22 [Automatic Full Damage due to DOS = 28]

ACTION 4 - Attack Scatha
Roll(2d6)+27:6,5,+27 Total:38
Damage: Roll(2d6)+16:4,3,+16 Total:23 [Automatic Full Damage due to DOS = 28]

ACTION 5 - Attack Scatha (-5 action penalty, nullify it with +5 Pawn of Prophecy)
OOC: If the TN to hit Scatha is reasonably low - and it very well might be (say 10 or less since it's like stabbing the Great Wall of China to Dirnhael. LOL) - I will not apply the PoP bonus to either of these attacks.) [The TN is 12, so I am going to assume you didn't include the bonuses]
Roll(2d6)+22:3,6,+22 Total:31
Damage: Roll(2d6)+16:6,4,+16 Total:26 [Automatic Full Damage due to DOS = 28]

ACTION 6 - Attack Scatha (-10 action penalty, nullify it with remaining +10 Pawn of Prophecy)
Roll(2d6)+17:6,3,+17 Total:26
Damage: Roll(2d6)+16:1,5,+16 Total:22 [Automatic Full Damage due to DOS = 28]

NO ATTACK - see below ACTION 7 - Attack Scatha (-15 action penalty, nullify it with remaining +15 Pawn of Prophecy)
OOC: This assumes I did not have to use these PoP points in the earlier two attacks - if I did, then I will not attempt this Action.)
Roll(2d6)+21:3,2,+21 Total:26
Damage: Roll(2d6)+16:2,4,+16 Total:22

[I am nullifying ACTION 7 per my House Rule that states that you may only make a number of Offensive Combat Actions in a round equal to your current level of Action Allowances, see House Rule Post]

Total Damage to Scatha is: 28+28+28+28 - 32 (Armour 16/2= 8*4) = 112-32= 80

The dragon's booming voice froze Dirnhael, but only for a moment. He was frightened, of course - only a fool wouldn't be -  but he would not be deterred. The dragon violently jerked it's body up and back after it spoke, and Dirnhael knew Camentir had caught the vile creature by surprise.
It was time.
He readied his shield upwards and found the strength to stab deeply into the dragon's flesh over and over again.
The hard scale of the dragon's coat provided less resistance to Anduring's steel than he expected, and Dirnhael thought of nothing else as he willed his arm to repeatedly thrust the icy blade into the inferno that raged in Scatha's belly.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Oct 08, 2005, 06:08 AM #3 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 12:50 PM by tomcat
OOC: Shawn, I edited your post - see above - just wanted you to see your results. I am writing the new narrative, but I am waiting to see the rest of the player's ACTIONS.

tomcat

Oct 08, 2005, 06:47 AM #4 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 12:50 PM by tomcat
The Dragon had not felt such pain since the elder days and the Wars of Beleriand against the very Hosts of Aman! The pain was intense and the icy cold flame that flickered up the length of Andúring caused a terrible, burning and lingering pain from each stab.

Scatha quickly swept his tail at the foolish attacker behind him and then smashed his body against the donjon to crush the Elf that had struck his underbelly. Surely it had been one of the Sindar, or perhaps even a Noldor, most hated of all of that kind! No other could possibly have harmed him in such a way. His body was coated in the most magnificent of armor and his strength was unmatched! [These are Scatha's next ACTIONS in Round 2, being posted as you read this.]

They had hurt him, but he would end this now. They would not get another chance! He turned his massive head back and around to his right and his gaze fell on Dirnhael and his enchanted blade.

"WHAT? A MAN?!?" bellowed the Dragon.

The only grace that Dirnhael had was that the Dragon could not breathe his fire, for though the Dragon's mouth and scaled body was immune to his flame, his soft, leathery wings, which were draped over all in their great length, would be consumed by the fire. Though this Man seemed a threat, the Dragon would not willingly harm himself to destroy him. Besides, he had more weapons than fire.

Outside the keep, Edrahil saw the Dragon turn and knew that Camentir and Dirnhael had struck. The Elf made a soft prayer to the Valar that they watch over his friends this night. He had already lost one good companion, he did not wish to lose any more.

OOC: The other characters outside the castle may post your ACTIONS. I will add them to the narrative as I get them.

GandalfOfBorg

Oct 08, 2005, 06:37 PM #5 Last Edit: Oct 08, 2005, 06:43 PM by GandalfOfBorg
TN 11? Willpower - (5+4)+2=11

Steeling himself against the battle of wills between the Eldar and Dragon, Durgil holds his own, draws a bead on the beast's great head, and releases.  Seeing his efforts are futile, he searches to find a softer part of the creature to aim for.

RC: Bows (Longbow) - (6+4)+8+2-8=12
Observe (Spot) - (6+6+5)+3+2=22

Init - (5+2)+2=9
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Wiseman

Daelhun spurred on his horse, his position in this was to rescue the dwarf and take him a safe distance away

ACTION: Ride away from castle

Palandil

OOC: Sorry my phone has been out since Friday.
Opposed Willpower TN 6
Roll(2d6)+2: 4,1,+2 Total:7 SUCCESS
Opposed Wisdom TN 35
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,5,+2 Total:10 +2(Honor's Insight) Total:12 DISASTROUS FAILURE Lose 2 actions

Hearing the Dragon has spotted Dirnhael, Fengel makes toward the drawbridge to see if it were possible to lend aid by again using surprise.  As he approaches the bridge he sees Lunduf's remains and a hatred of this dragon begins to rise within him.

Initiative:Roll(2d6)+3: 4,3,+3 Total:10

tomcat

Oct 09, 2005, 12:37 PM #8 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 12:50 PM by tomcat
OOC: Hey Palandil, the bridge across the moat is now burning from the oil and fire that the orcs had used early on in the battle and then the dragon bathed it in fire when he flamed Lunduf. To get to Dirnhael and Camentir, you are going to need to cross the icy moat by either swimming it (on horse is conceivable but you are going to need to give me a Ride Test TN 25 to get your mount to approach the Dragon), or you can go to the east side of the castle where the wall was smashed in and all of that broken stone has now made a make-shift bridge that you can cross. It will take you all of this turn to get to that side of the castle.

Matt, with your excellent Observe test, you can see the dragon's body looks scarred from age but there is no evident chink in his scaled body.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Are there recent wounds visible like the ones caused by Camentir and Dirnhael?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Oct 10, 2005, 05:14 AM #10 Last Edit: Oct 10, 2005, 05:16 AM by Stefan
Nain (Over 25') Opposes Scatha's Terror TN 16
Willpower +1, Hardiness of Mind +2
Roll(2d6)+3: 3,6,+3 Total:12 = FAILURE, -2 to all ACTIONS this round

Nain Opposes Scatha's Bewilderment TN 35
Wisdom +2, Hardiness of Mind (domination?) +2
Roll(2d6)+4: 5,5,+4 Total:14 DISASTROUS FAILURE, loses 2 ACTIONS this round

Nain attemps to struggle against the hands that are holding him on the horse and carrying him away from the fight.  He had sworn an oath and nothing would stop him.  And yet when the Dragon spoke Nain could only listen. 

Initiative 1,3 +2 = 6

Wiseman

Willpower = 7 Disastrous failure
Bewilderment: = Just gonna go with Disastrous Failure here....:)