• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 12:49 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1 - Return of old friends, start of new troubles

Started by tomcat, Jan 20, 2014, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Celdrahil tossed a coin on the table.
" i have dragged you out into the night and accepted this charge as my own." At that point a peel of thunder rolled outside that was deep and long.

"And why dont you add a skin of mulled wine for the road and a cup for each of us before we go."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Stefan

Nain looked aghast at the rogue's audacious suggestion that he part with a coin.  His face was just beginning to flush when the noble's coins landed on the table.   It was then that he noticed that his hand had been uncomfortably close to his axe.  He prided himself on not being as greedy as many of his people but that didn't mean that he was a spendthrift either.

"Perhaps you shouldn't eat what you can't pay fer yerself."

He calmed himself quickly. Then glared up at the noble.

"Ye might want to keep your new friend in check, he's obviously new to the northern kingdom.  He's libel to get himself into trouble."

Telcontar

"The mulled wine will wash away the rough edges when new comers meet. Let us not have a falling out before our boots are even wet"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

It took the trio another half hour to collect their things, have the horses (and pony) saddled, and get on their way.

The rain fell and dampened everything that was not covered under oiled leather. They trotted north along the lane that ran at the feet of Bree-hill to the gates, passing Archet, as they did, whose lights glowed in windows along the hill. The wooden gates were closed and it took a minute or two for Celdrahil to find the gatekeep so that they might be opened.

"Half a minute, sir!" a cracked voice called back at the nobleman, who had been yelling at the gatehouse. "T'is not a night fit for beast or man, or gatekeep, for that matter!" The old fellow exited his home and came in naught but a long pajama top and his leather boots. He slopped through the mud and was immediately covered while he went to the large wooden bar that secured the north gate of Bree. "Where you be headin' off to on a night like this?"

Madoc answered for the group, "We'll just be needing your service, gateman, not your questions."

"All right then! No need to be terse!" answered the man. The bar was well greased but still the old gatekeep struggled with the task.

BOOM! BOOM!

The hollow sound was muted by the rain, but still it caught everyone's attention. The gatekeep looked surprised at the trio, "I guess you're not the only ones willing to travel in this." He left the bar halfway undone and opened a small window. "Who's there and what be your business in Bree? Traveling on a night like tonight!"

A muffled voice could just be heard over the rain by the three companions, "I am a traveler and seek refuge at the inn in Bree - the King's Rest."

"Well just be a moment. I have three to come out, too, so patience." The old man went back to his task of wrenching the long bar the rest of the way back so that the east door of the gates could now be swung open. With his thin legs spattered by mud from the road, the gatekeep ran to do just that.

The gate swung open and the three companions now saw a single rider in front of them. He was tall in the saddle and his hooded cloak covered his head. Only two bright eyes could be seen as they caught the sputtering torchlight of the city's lights. He trotted forward as they trotted out.

"Men and Dwarf?" said a voice. It was clear in the rain and had an accent to it that Celdrahil immediately recognized - a hint of the tongue of the Eldar. The figure spoke again, "Nain? Is that you?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo! Now this is another surprise for the night. I am riding in haste to Fornost, Mithrandir has sent word to Dirnahel. The dwarf offered to join me and the man is the bearer of the message." 

The Dunadan slipped then back into the common tongue aware now that others in his party would not understand.
"And what brings you out into this rain sodden night?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!" answered the cloaked figure. "I, too, have been sent word from Mithrandir. Apparently it was his intent for us to gather once more - but where do you go? I was told to seek one in Bree, at the King's Rest Inn."

He pushed back his cloak to reveal a handsome Elven face framed in black, wet hair. "Surely I know two of you - Nain - whom I traveled with to the far lands of Rhovanion; and Celdrahil whom I met not long ago just north of here. Well met, I say now to you both. Certainly this is good tidings!" To Madoc, he said, "I am Edrahil - ardent friend and companion of Dirnhael and Durgil."

The old man on the gate interrupted, "So...will you be leaving or are you going to have your gathering here in the middle of the road, on a rain-soaked night? My wife is waitin' and I'd like to get back to the comfort of some dry clothes and a warm hearth."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Nain looked up at the elf, he'd understood enough of what the two had said to get the gist of it.  His sindarin was weak at best so he just spoke common. "Well met Elf, it's been quite a while since we traveled together.  Though it sounds like we're going to be on the road together again soon.  We're on the way to give a message to Dirnhael.  Apparently this young cur has spoken with Gandalf who's given him the task.  Celdrahil,  Madoc, this fine elf is Edrahil, as good an elf as has ever traveled the roads of middle earth and a good friend.  The gatekeeper is right, we should be moving along."

Telcontar

Feb 06, 2014, 04:50 PM #37 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2014, 04:54 PM by Telcontar
 :ooc: pretty sure Celdrahil and Edrahil know each other from the last chapter no?

Page 30 chapter 11
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Stefan

:ooc: Nain wouldn't know that though, he's only recently met Celdrahil so he just assumed that they hadn't.

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Stefan

:ooc: sorry, that actually occurred to me after I'd posted my response. 

tomcat

:ooc: I forgot that Celdrahil met Edrahil at the end of our last chapter. I thought I had sent the Elf off to Lindon for a while.

Okay, cool. I have adjusted my post above.

Telcontar

"I intended to make for Fornost rain or no. I do not know the nature of the message, only that its sender was waylaid and the task passed to this man. Our mutal friend is not want to pass his tasks to others, so I assume its pressing and requires attention. What are your plans friend Edrahil? "
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"Plan? I have none yet. I feel it was Mithrandir's wish for us to come here. It seems apparent that it was one more of his many contrivances, as the better part of our group is here. No?" The mage cocked an eye at Celdrahil, "I would not be surprised to see our other companions coming along any day now."

"Ahhhhem!" croaked the gate keep.

The Elf gave a fluting laugh, "Fear not, good gatekeep! We shall not keep you waiting any longer." Then back to the other three, "Come, tell me - do you wish to wait and see if Mithrandir has worked more machinations, or do we press our steeds north to Fornost?"

tomcat

It had not taken long for the two men to gather their things and mount up. The rain continued to pour, but an urgency had fallen on Dirnhael. He had quickly penned a message to Ioreth that his business in Fornost, and now Bree, would keep him longer, but he would be home as soon as was possible. His brother, Durgil, still wondering what the cryptic vision meant followed suit and sent word to his own wife, Gléowyn.

Geoffrey, the servant that tended to Durgil's home in Fornost, watched as the two men rode off into the rainy night. He pulled the door closed with the sound of the hooves disappearing down the street. Only the occasional guard took notice of their passing at this hour and the men were soon down the hill on which Fornost Erain sat atop, and out the gates that protected the city. Dirnhael calculated the time to Bree - at this rate five days.

They found the North-South road and turned their horses south.