• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 12:57 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1 - Return of old friends, start of new troubles

Started by tomcat, Jan 20, 2014, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Celdrahil's change in tone and bearing caused Madoc to stammer. The rogue looked around him and saw that the entire room was now looking to see what would happen. He swallowed hard and answered, "Forgive, Lord! It was not my intention to make light of my errand...especially one that is apparently a service to a noble in the King's court. I just figured the weather was not fit for travel and so I would pursue it in the morning. I have come a long way so far along the Iaur Men Formen and warmth and food would be a nice comfort for the now. I must say it was most unsettling to ride over the Tyrn Gorthad, especially after the shadows I had seen when Gandalf came upon my camp."

There was real fear in the man's eyes and not all of it came from the noble's anger.

:ooc: A couple things for the players who only have a limited Tolkien knowledge:

Iaur Men Formen - the Greenway; a north south road that stretches from Fornost Erain in the North to Gonodor.
Tyrn Gorthad - the Barrow Downs

It's been a long while so here's a couple refreshers:

Dorthad is actually home of Durgil; Dirnhael and Ioreth were given the lands of the disgraced lord, Methilir, when he was slain. They reside in Amaran.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: Amaran is part of the region of Dorthad wasn't it? Anyway, as you can see Doug, I have tapped back into Celdrahil  B-)

Now it was time for the knights mood to take a sudden and rapid change. On hearing the name Mithrandir the Dunedan responded quickly and not in a manner that his tone and stance would have previously forewarned.

He pointed to the barmaid whom he had made eyes at just previously and cursed himself the previous thought of having allowed himself to think of personal pleasures.
"Girl, fetch this man soup and bread as quick as you can. And more beside in a skin of wine for travel."

The knight then pointed to another man of Bree, "You, good yeoman. Head to the post and bring the horse of Celdrahil and another of the post horses for this man. Instruct the ostler to rest this man's horse and send it on when it is rested. Tell him he may inform the watch that Celdrahil of Ithilien in the service of the Steward in need of haste requisitioned the horse."

The two Breelanders stepped quickly at the commands of the Dunadan. "Good Madoc, Mithrandir, whom you name Gandlaf is known to me and I would not have his message delayed in any manner, nor suffer his wrath if he knew that I was the cause or could prevent such delay if I could. Eat while the horses are made ready and you will eat more if you desire it, but in the saddle. I will ride with you."

The knight scanned the room quickly. "I serve the King in Fornost and will conduct this messenger sent from a councilor and friend of the King. I will not scare you, or the town, of dark shadows on the road. I know not the truth of it and have faith in the light of the west besides. The sender of the messenger is known to me and would not send another to do his task if circumstances permitted. So I require haste. Is there any here that would ride north with me now, tonight?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Stefan

Nain put his feet down from the chair on which he'd been resting them and stood up.  He took the pipe from his mouth as he stepped over to the knight and his messenger.

"Well, I've already eaten and I've a mind to visit with my old friend Dirnhael.  Though I can honestly say I wasn't looking forward to a night in the saddle, I'm sure that the hospitality will be equally warm in his house."

:ooc:I don't think that Nain and Celdrahil have ever met so this should be interesting.

tomcat

:ooc: Yea it will. No, Nain has never met the Gondorian nobleman, Celdrahil.

Understand, too, guys, it is about an 8-10 day ride to Dorthad from Bree. Arthedain Map

So you may want to take that into consideration when you make conversation about the travel. Hitting the road for 8-10 days in potential rain would not shine too well as the idea of hanging in Bree with good food and shelter.

Madoc turned to see the dwarf, puzzlement on his face. "How many people know this man? Even Dwarves?" he thought to himself. "He must be a noble of great renown!"

The rogue graciously accepted the steaming bowl of soup, thick with vegetables and hunks of beef. A wedge of bread was also on the wooden plate and he broke it and dipped it into the brown stew, only to quickly move it to his mouth despite the steam that came from it. Two more mouthfuls and then Madoc chased it all with a frothy beer. The fare was marvelous. He spoke at last, "Any aid you could offer, Master Dwarf, would be greatly appreciated."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

"Perhaps we should wait till morning.  Perhaps I don't fully grasp the urgency of the man's quest,  but getting lost or injured riding the road in the dark is unlikely to get him there any faster.  A fresh start in the daylight, when the man and his horse have had some time to rest, might prove more expedient."

Telcontar

:ooc: Fornost isn't that far. I don't know about you guys, but when Gandalf is in a hurry its usually a pretty big deal.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Jan 31, 2014, 05:46 PM:ooc: Fornost isn't that far. I don't know about you guys, but when Gandalf is in a hurry its usually a pretty big deal.

:ooc: Hey, Tom, you are right and I am not meaning to suggest that there is no urgency in Madoc's errand - I just wanted to point out to you guys that your characters are facing a night's ride in the rain if they leave now and that might not be too exciting; the inn being cozy and warm. Just giving you stuff to work with for your PCs' state of mind.  ;D

Madoc seemed to like the Dwarf' suggestion as his face eased into a smile, "Ooh yes! That would be an easier ride. What say you, Lord?"

Telcontar

:ooc: well I am kind of backed into a corner here then if we aren't going to leave now. The road isn't going to be as bad as heading out across country. Not sure how to get Celdrahil to stay.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: You are a nobleman and he is part of the peasantry - he would defer to your decision if ordered. He is also a rogue, so he hasn't spent a lifetime being commanded by people, but that doesn't mean he will stand up against your orders. Play it how you want to play it.

Stefan

:ooc:Just to be clear, although it may not be clear due to the fact that we're typing here, Nain's suggestion is just that. My intention was to convey that no one wants to go out into the rain on a cold dark night, but he's coming along either way. The only difference will be the color of the language that he uses. And, of course, the description in the stories that he'll tell his grandchildren.  Wait...scratch that, the stories will say that they left in the cold rainy night either way... Poetic license and all that. :D

tomcat

The rain that fell on Bree also cascaded over the city of Fornost Erain. It was here that the subject of Madoc's inquiry found himself, having left his home two weeks prior, along with his now brother-in-law. Dirnhael and Durgil, both noblemen of Arthedain and landholders under the King's rule had come south to report to Argeleb of the northern frontier.

The King demanded word on the condition of his troops along the Angmar border, crop yields, road repairs, brigand activities, and even birth rates if known. Dirnhael and Durgil both endured the long hours within the hall as many of the folk of Arthedain came with news. Dirnhael marveled at the little folk, the Hobbits as they called themselves, whom had taken up residence - with the King's consent - in a western territory of Arthedain that they now called the Shire. They were obviously an industrious people and came with a great tithing of livestock, grains, and news. It was reported that the roads and bridges along the East-West Road had been repaired; law within the Shire was keenly observed; and the folk knew a quiet peace.

It was a far cry different for Durgil and Dirnhael to report when their time came. The frontier with Angmar was ever a turbulent area and both nobles - along with other landholders in the north - strove against lawlessness of brigands and invaders. But for the stout hearts of the Dúnedain, the north would be overrun by the allies of the Witch-king.

Now Dirnhael sat in the quiet study of Durgil's apartment within Fornost - a fire popped and crackled in the hearth. Outside the rain fell and made for an uninviting thought of remounting to head back north. If not for Ioreth, the Dúnadan would remain in the city until the weather had cleared and the roads dried up a bit, instead of sludging through the mud. As he gazed into the flames, Edrahil came into Dirnhael's mind along with another - an old man. A face he recognized, though not as readily as his Sindarin companion. It was Gandalf. In his mind he heard a single word, "Bree."

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil, himself, joined his brother, both in heart and by labor, to be comforted by fire and mulled wine.  He noticed a queer look wash over him as he stared into the flames but gave it up to the strain of the day and the circumstances of their life these days.  Both were men of action and being cooped up playing nobleman was neither's cup of tea.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Celdrahil mulled over the words of his companions. Dorthad was a long way off, but the party could reach Fornost In better time.
"This is not a chance meeting in which a message from Mithrandir finds two friends of Dirnhael in the same inn on the same evening when time is urgent. The road will be easy to follow in the ran and our discomfort pennance for good ale and warm rooms. Madoc, I will take this message tonight if you wish to refuse. There are only a few people on whom I would not let the mater rest until tomorrow, this is one of them. We will make for Fornost."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Stefan

"I'd best be getting my horse ready as well then."

The dwarf pulled the hood of his cloak over his head and walked out into the rain heading for the stables grumbling about horses, weather, and Men who insisted about riding through the night when there was good ale and a warm dry bunk to be had.

tomcat

Madoc was not sure as to what he had involved himself in, but he had come far and risked much in crossing the Barrow Downs. Though a fear grew in his heart, he knew he must see it through.

"Let me finish this soup and beer, Lord Celdrahil, and I will see this task done. Your aid along the road, both you and our Dwarf companion, will be greatly appreciated." With that Madoc went to work on the food, spooning large chunks of the stew into his mouth until it was gone. He then made quick work of the bread trencher and knocked back the beer. The man gave a roguish smile to the young woman who took the offered tankard, "Although my wish would be to stay here longer and enjoy this fine inn's fare, I must be off on the road once more. Perhaps when I pass through again you might offer me your name?"

"Perhaps, sir, you would offer your coin for our fine inn's fare?" she winked.

"Ah, yes..." Madoc's hands patted at his pockets and pouches on his belt. "Coin?" Madoc cocked an eye at Nain.