• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 12:41 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Earthen Ramparts

Started by tomcat, Nov 30, 2011, 05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

:ooc: Ok since everyone is going to provide covering fire I am going to try and go count coup on that tower.

Farok grabbed a couple of grenades from and tossed them in pockets of his robes. After that he took another quick look around opened himself up to the force. Shaping the currents around him he built a shield to hide him from sight and then set off towards the tower. He moved through the jungle slowly so at not to make any noise and looked for trip wires as we went. His goal was to skirt the edge of the canyon and use the small hill as cover, pass under the sniper blind and then cut his way into the tower. The trick was to close on the enemy and then cause mass confusion while his allies sped in on the speeder bikes. Farok thought about his chances of succes briefly, but then pushed them into the back of his head. "There is no death, there is the Force."

Stealth Roll
Rolled 1d20+1 : 7 + 1, total 8

:ooc:here goes nothing
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

:ooc: do i get modifiers to taking my time?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Dec 18, 2011, 03:41 PM #77 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2011, 06:07 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Hey Tom, I will grant the +2 mod under Stealth for places to hide, but they will also have penalties for cover and darkness. I will update shortly - going to go Xbox.

[EDIT]
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"Ya well I'm a growing boy, we need our food.  Though I'm not sure what you call what's left there under the cup food," the merc said with a sneer.  "I couldn't even begin to classify it as animal or vegetable."

OOC: Intention is to spook the guard, grab him, the keys, and/or the guy's weapon if he can with the distraction of the spider.  Taking out the guard is a last resort, preferring to subdue him if possible if he isn't bitten first.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

"Well its the best you'll get, so you might want to reconsider your options," the Gran chided. "Word should be coming soon as to what to do with you, and I hope it is a good drop off a high flying skiff." Again a croak came from the three-eye stalked alien that had to be some sort of laughter. "Give me your cup and plate and I will go scrape the refuse can for you! That is what you get for waking me."

The guard walked to the barred doors and stood waiting for bit to bring him the plate and cup. The man could see that the Gran had a set of keys hanging off his belt.

:ooc: Matt, I know your intentions from your post, but if you could put it into narrative for me, so I know how BIT is doing this. If it is a Grab, then you can do that, or are you going to try and entice him to opent the gate?

Tom, here is the guards Perception tests with mods:

Gran snipers (have Darkvision, no concealment from darkness
:00: DC 10 Perception +3
Rolled 1d20+3 : 15 + 3, total 18

Dug Guards
:00: DC 10 Perception +8, Darkness -10
Rolled 1d20-2 : 4 - 2, total 2
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I just realized, I wrote that the Grans' were wearing nightvision gear - hence the electronic vision questions. Now, reading back through the description I see the have Darkvision... and so the wouldn't be wearing nightvision gear.

SO, based on the roll above, and the mistake I made, I have no problem if you change your entire plan, Tom.

When you guys look up at the blind and tower, you see the Dug's wearing night gear but not the Grans.

Sorry!

Telcontar

:ooc: If Charlie can see in the Dark then we need a new plan.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Deception Roll(1d20)+5: 20,+5 Total:25

BIT shudders a bit as he pushes the tray and cup towards the guard, putting on a  show of disgust which truly wasn't all show -- the food wasn't all that pleasant.  He pushed them just far enough that the guard would have to extend himself to get them.  Tensing himself, he prepared for his surprise to go off.

OOC: UA Combat Roll(1d20)+1: 17,+1 Total:18
Grapple Roll(1d20)+9: 9,+9 Total:18    Wow this roller has been kind to  me so far... yup im gonna jinx it.
BIT will grab at the guard to grapple, pinning arms in bars.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: ok so whats the new plan? the distance we have to cover is to far without some kind of covering fire. Doug, if we are at -1 because of the thickness of the terrain then how is it that visibility isnt hindered to a greater extent?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Dec 19, 2011, 10:03 AM #84 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011, 10:05 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Hey Tom, where is the -1 modifier from - and how are you meaning it?

Prior Perception penalties were as follows, along with my reasoning:

• Range penalties occur on any Perception test that is 10 squares or greater, cumulative -5 for each 10 squares beyond the first. Grans as a species are not affected by range penalties for the first 50 squares.
  • Terrain penalties on Perception have been -5 for unaware individuals, but then I have reduced that to -2 if the Perceiver had a basic idea where the person may be due to movement, weapon fire, or carrying an active lightsaber that is like a beacon
  • Dark of Night provides Total concealment, or a -10 penalty, to any that are trying to see without some kind of low-light aid. Grans as a species have Darkvision that removes darkness penalties.
  • Finally, ground elevations will provide Total Concealment to anyone using them hide their progress from a looker. Unfortunately, the small hillocks before the tower are too low to provide cover from the higher elevations of the tower, the blind, and some positions on the rampart.

If I did not fully explain my vision on how it is all laid out, then please give me a shout. If you contest any of it, let me know - I am always willing to hear if I missed something, or you have a better idea of how the mechanic works.

Telcontar

Farok looked again at his surroundings. "How about we take a speeder, load it up with explosives and slam it into the tower door. Then the second bike can fly into the tower loaded with two people. That will protect them from the snipes while they are in the tower. Then when the tower falls the covering force can attack the snipers and move up the valley?  So...who wants to give me a ride?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on Dec 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
Farok looked again at his surroundings. "How about we take a speeder, load it up with explosives and slam it into the tower door. Then the second bike can fly into the tower loaded with two people. That will protect them from the snipes while they are in the tower. Then when the tower falls the covering force can attack the snipers and move up the valley?  So...who wants to give me a ride?"

Caden tipped his head from side to side; it wasn't a bad idea. Their element of surprise was long gone; they needed to close ground on the facility quickly, and the best way to do that was to cause chaos.
That said, they were still a handful taking on an army. It didn't look good.
He paused for a second, and grabbed his comlink; showing it to Farok.

"What if we had another way to blow up the tower without losing a speeder? Hell, they already know we're here."

:ooc: GM - Could we call in Kara and the Aegis; can she fly low enough to cover that valley without getting blown out of the sky? All - Since the plan was to sneak in - and that failed - wouldn't this more direct approach help cut down our travel time; both in and back (Not to mention giving Kara something to do)? Just throwing it out there...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Jingo

Dec 19, 2011, 01:35 PM #87 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011, 01:38 PM by Jingo
Kaida considered, still studying the tower. Calling in the Aegis was certainly a game changer. Getting air superiority was a military maxim. But so was leaving a retreat route when plans went south.

"We don't know what AA assets they have. I for one don't want to lose our ride off this rock, but it's your ship Caden." she said the last with just a hint of sarcasm and a knowing smile. She knew how he felt about every hangers on getting a free ride around the galaxy on the Aegis.

"I still favor stealth where possible. But in this case, that might be out of the picture, and we might only be down to more direct approaches: 1) assault via speeder per Farok's plan or assault via the aegis. Or," she smiled, "some combination of the two."

Telcontar

"Well we are loosing what little cover of darkness we have talking about it. Either way thats a lot of ground to cover, or only advantage is they dont know when we are coming, only that we are. Those small hills will give us some cover, but a heavy balster on the tower and snipers with rifles in the tree top is a tough nut to crack all at once. If we can get behind the big hill we are safe from the web blaster but will have to deal with the snipers. Either way everyone is going to know we are here when we take that tower on. If the ship comes in low is that field large enough for it to land in?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Jingo

Kaida heard Farok out and nodded. He was right. Both of them were. They were running out of time and they didn't have time to come up with anything very elegant. It was time to act. If they didn't, circumstances could find them quickly on the defensive, losing whatever initiative they still possessed.

"Caden, I think it's a good plan. Let's do it. Call in the Aegis and have Kara pound the tower where that E-web is. So here's the plan, the Aegis comes in and pounds the tower, we take out the snipers, both the Aegis and us take out the defenses on the rampart. We can then continue part on ground and part in the air until we reach the objective. If Kara runs into trouble, she can always peel off an meet us back at the rendezvous point. With some of the ground team on speeders, we should be able to gain an edge with ground mobility and might even be able to support Kara if she does run into AA assets."

:ooc: I want to use my tactics skill if it's appropriate here; since I trained in it, and I never use it, it's gotta be good for something. Maybe we'll get a bonus on something based on our plan and the roll? *shrug*

Tactics 1d20+10 : 2 + 10, total 12