• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 10:01 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Snipers on high - round 6

Started by tomcat, Nov 15, 2011, 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Situation: The team has eliminated the snipers hidden in the canopy above. Also, all of the commotion has stirred another pride of nexu who now attack three party members.

Situational Modifiers: All PC's will suffer a -5 penalty for firing into melee, unless they are the ones in the melee or have the Precise Shot feat.

Weariness CT:
Caden -2 to all actions

Physical Modifiers: -1 to all PC's action rolls due to slick, muddy, or boggy ground and waist high foliage that can block view

Consumption:

PCPrimarySecondaryWeapon 3Misc
Brimlightsaber n/aholdout blaster 0/12frags 2/3
Cadenhvy blaster pistol 2/200frags 0/2
Faroklightsaber n/a
Kaida*blaster carbine 1/150Lt Repeat blaster 0/150frags 0/3
Logar*blaster rifle 10/150Hvy blaster pistol 0/50frags 0/8
Samblaster pistol 0/150Slugthrower 10/150frags 0/3
Fett*blaster carbine 10/150Flamethrower 0/5Missiles 0/4jet pack 1/10
*not all weapons listed
-amunition is either power packs (50 shots each), or energy cells (6 shots each) and are added together in your total - what is in the gun and the spare clips you have

Equipment:
Brim - hold-out blaster with 2 energy cells, lightsaber, 1 frag, 2 medpacs
Caden -  heavy blaster pistol with 3 spare power packs, hold-out blaster, 2 frag grenades, combat gloves, pocket scrambler, utility belt (3-day food supply, 3 medpac, tool kit, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, comlink, liquid cable dispenser), medical kit, all-temperature cloak, datapad, credit stick
Farok - lightsaber, baton, 2 medpacs, back pack, 2 blaster pistols
Kaida - blaster carbine, heavy blaster pistol, hold-out blaster with spare energy cell, light repeating blaster with 2 spare power packs, 3 frags, shadowsuit and helmet, 2 concealed holsters, all-temperature cloak (unless armor makes it useless), basic datapad, binder cuffs, comlink, liquid cable dispenser, 4 medpacs, mesh tape, pocket scrambler, 5 ration packs, 2 computer spikes (+2), security kit, credit chip
Logar - blaster rifle, DH-23 "Outback" blaster pistol, heavy blaster pistol, 8 frags, vibrobayonet 3 spare energy cells, modified clone trooper armor (+6 armor, +2 Fortitude, helmet package), field kit (2 condensing canteens, sunshield roll, 7 day food supply, 24 filters, 12 atmosphere canisters, 2 glow rods, 2 breath masks, all-temperature cloak), 2 medpacs
Sam - blaster pistol with 2 spare power packs, slugthrower rifle with 2 spare rifle clips with Targeting scope, 3 frags, hip holster, Satchel shoulder, 2 medpacs

Initiative:
Fett (+11)
Sam (+11)
Farok (+1)
Nexu (+12)
Kaida (+11)
Logar (+11)
Brim (+6)
Caden (+3)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Farok was not about to let some water fat creature get the upper hand on him again. Settling into another makashi stance he made another attack against the beast.

Attack Roll
Rolled 1d20+8 : 1 + 8, total 9

DMG
Rolled 2d8+1 : 8, 2 + 1, total 11
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

:ooc: this dice roller sucks DOUG!  :'(
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Jingo

:ooc: Per previous round Kaida will move to bikes, get on and move back to help the group.

tomcat

:ooc: Sorry, Tom! I really am. I did not write the code for the thing, but I think it rolls fairly... it just seems that the PC's are getting the bummer side of the rolls right now.  :(

Jingo, you and Logar will be able to RUN to the bikes in Round 5. Then in Round 6, you can make a FULL ROUND action to move 48 squares... that should put you in proximity of Fett's location. For Round 7, you could either dismount and attack at range, or fly closer - your call.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

donimator

:ooc: I get great rolls with it...when I preview messages  ;D

Sam pressurized an internal cavity in his head and opened an exhaust port near his vocabulator to expel air onto the wet headset, hopefully blowing the worst of it out. Sam checked the device for a signal. If it had a manual transmit, he would click it a few times to see if it garnered a response. The battle with the Nexu's was still going on. Sam looked up at the sniper blind. He would start to climb it to see the land from a new vantage and maybe add some support to his team.

sdrotar

Caden, pressed by the giant beast, found himself backing away and firing as quickly as he could.

:ooc: Per my previous Round 5 post, Fool's Luck may take a standard action to "equip". If that's the case, let's not use it - he doesn't have the time...

:00: Caden attacks Nexu 2 using Point-Blank Shot (-2 condition).
Rolled 1d20+6 : 11 + 6, total 17

:00: Damage if successful:
Rolled 3d8+4 : 2, 3, 3 + 4, total 12
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Shawn, yea, I was going to point out that it would need a Standard action to activate. I also want to make sure you know that the 'or' in the description means you get to choose only one of the benefits for the duration of an encounter.

I am going to roll the Nexu attacks. These will fall before Caden's attack, but after resolved, I will resolve his and also post for Brim.

Nexu 1 attacks Brim
Full round action to attack with claw, claw, bite
:00: DC 23 melee +8
claw 1d20+8 : 6 + 8, total 14

claw 1d20+8 : 14 + 8, total 22

bite 1d20+8 : 18 + 8, total 26

claw damage if successful 1d4+7 : 2 + 7, total 9

claw damage if successful 1d4+7 : 4 + 7, total 11

bite damage if successful 1d6+7 : 6 + 7, total 13

Nexu 2 attacks Caden
:00: DC 22 melee +8, CT -1
claw 1d20+7 : 16 + 7, total 23

claw 1d20+7 : 16 + 7, total 23

bite 1d20+7 : 14 + 7, total 21

claw damage if successful 1d4+7 : 1 + 7, total 8

claw damage if successful 1d4+7 : 4 + 7, total 11

bite damage if successful 1d6+7 : 4 + 7, total 11

Nexu 3 attacks Farok
:00: DC 16 melee +8
claw 1d20+8 : 14 + 8, total 22

claw 1d20+8 : 1 + 8, total 9

bite 1d20+8 : 4 + 8, total 12

claw damage if successful 1d4+7 : 1 + 7, total 8

claw damage if successful 1d4+7 : 2 + 7, total 9

bite damage if successful 1d6+7 : 2 + 7, total 9

tomcat

:ooc: Caden is struck for 19 damage  :csu:

Farok needs to Block a 22

Brim attempts to Block to attacks DC 22 and 26
:00: DC 22 and 26 Use the Force +14, MAP -5
Rolled 1d20+14 : 12 + 14, total 26

Rolled 1d20+9 : 17 + 9, total 26

Brim attacks Nexu 1
:00: DC 16 melee +10, foliage -1
Rolled 1d20+9 : 10 + 9, total 19

damage if successful 2d8+4 : 1, 5 + 4, total 10

If I failed in the Blocks, I will adjust Brim's attack action if necessary.

tomcat

sdrotar

:ooc: You rolled at 16/16/14 on the Nexu 2 attacks? I want your dice roller.   ;)

In all seriousness, the D20 system is too random and therefore inferior, in my opinion, then the CODA system for Lord of the Rings and Star Trek. Without math-nerding it up too much, the probabilities with two six-sided dice favor rolling a seven (a roughly 17% chance),  and then the likelihood drops off roughly three percent for each sum higher or lower than seven. This makes is much simpler to set fair difficulty levels for tests, because one can assume a roll of seven is "average" and then scale up or down from there, with random chance accounting for the variable.

With one 20-sided die, it's simple: every number has an equal five percent chance of coming up. There is no "average", and due to the wider range of numbers possible  (20 compared to 12), test rolls vary wildly. As a result, randomness increases by an exponential factor, and since the penalties for in-game failure are often great (for both PCs and NPCs), it's extremely difficult to balance any encounter.

Essentially, you're more than five times as likely to roll a seven than you are a two or twelve with two six-sided dice; but you have the exact same chance to throw a one or a twenty as you do the middling 10 or 11 on a single 20-sided die. The D20 probability chart would be flat from 1-20.

I understand that the D20 system is simpler to understand, but... anyway, just having the conversation. It's not a complaint, just an observation.

I'm going back to getting eaten by a lion on steroids now.  (-D

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: I agree with you, Shawn. You presented this some time back when I thought to go to a D12 for CODA, but the logic of 2d6 is more sound - normal day to day activities (i.e. TN 10) should be achieved the better portion of the time.

As for D20 - I can't stand it. I haven't used it since the late 80's, until now. But I no longer have the desire or the time to tinker with mechanics and re-build a game. I really like the Star Wars genre and Saga is a good system to work within it, so we have what we have.

My dice roller is the same as everyone else, I can't control it. I am not sure that the code is 100% accurate to produce a true chance roll, but it is all I can find that works within SMF. There is the other Dice Roller above, but I like the element of surprise that is produced by the in-Post roller. It also keeps the dice rolls true.

In the meantime, Caden will have to endure the beatin' he is taking from the Nexu and hope that Kaida and Logar roll back in time with the laser cannons on the speeders - they do 4d10 damage! If they hit, of course! ;)

Telcontar

:ooc: Shawn, yeah I agree with you man. I like the craps odds better than the d20 odds. I think mechanically they make up for it but having all the modifiers for every such thing. So each +1 is like a 5% increase to succeed right?

now for something completley different:
I roll to Block DC 22
Rolled 1d20+10 : 2 + 10, total 12

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

:ooc: really? are you serious?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear