• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 09:36 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Scene 3 - Besieged

Started by tomcat, Aug 10, 2005, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Aug 10, 2005, 05:38 PM Last Edit: Jul 23, 2008, 06:12 PM by tomcat
Days 112-115 January 21-24, Barad Eldanar and under the shadow of Cargash

The morning came bright with an icy blue sky over the white blanketed land and for a moment the Men in both Eldanar and those huddling close within a thorny hideaway, along with their Elven and Dwarven companions felt hope rise within them.

"We must press on," Dirnhael said. "Though we are weary, time is now our enemy - and the enemy of those back at Barad Eldanar."

He looked around at his men - was he pushing them too far? He hoped not - but he saw no alternative...

"I told you we should have burned the brambles," Durgil said in mild jest. "But I agree; this is no longer just for Camentir now."

Edrahil checked over all of their bandages once more and then they mounted. If the weather held, along with their strength, they would hopefully see the wagon upon the road. Hopefully. The time was running short and the miles to Carn Dûm were slowly dwindling.

:arrow: OOC: Edrahil will attempt another heal test of Fengel TN 20 and Daelhun TN 15:
Helaing +8, Affinity bonus from comrades +2
Daelhun -Roll(2d6)+10: 1,4,+10 Total:15 SUCCESS (10 points healed)
Fengel -Roll(2d6)+10: 6,2,+10 Total:18 (1 Courage) = 21 SUCCESS (14 points healed)

They picked through the Thistletyne heading in a northwesterly direction back towards the road north. The towers of Cargash were behind them and now they should be able to make greater speed by once again using the roads and trails of Angmar.

Edrahil sat for a few moments staring back towards the south and the castle Eldanar two days away. He worried about those they had left behind and what they would soon face. He hoped that when he and his comrades once more passed by the Dúnedain keep that there would be many who would be able to accompany them back home.

"Come on Edrahil," said Fengel over his shoulder. The Éothraim had paused to wait for his Sindarin friend. With a nod to each other, the two spurred their horses after the others.

:arrow: Required Tests:
Travel - Stamina Test TN 20
Stealth Test (rolls will be added to determine results)

Standing on the battlements of Eldanar, Nain sniffed at the air and stared north. He had spent many of the last forty-eight hours hard at work in the smithy and his hands were tight from the laborious heat. He heard a shuffle and turned to see Lûnduf approaching. The Dwarf craftsman knew not why but Edrahil came to his mind and then he knew that they would have but one more night of peace.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Edrahil
Stamina TN 20
Stamina +3, Tireless +4, Horse +5
Roll(2d6)+15: 4,3,+15 Total:22 SUCCESS

Stealth +9
Roll(2d6)+9: 6,2,+9 Total:17

Fengel
Stamina TN 20
Stamina +3, Tireless +4, Horse +5, Injured -3
Roll(2d6)+9: 4,2,+9 Total:15 FAILED (Winded -1)

Stealth +5, Injured -3, Winded -1
Roll(2d6)+1: 2,6,+1 Total:9
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

Well how about that, dice roll my way for a test ;)

Edit: you only get to add in your skill modifier once Shawn, but you still cleared it based on the following changes...

Stamins Test TN 20
Stamina +2, Dazed -0 (Hardy), Horse +5

Roll(2d6)+7: 6,6,+7 Total:19

Roll(1d6)+0: 6,+0 Total:6

Roll(1d6)+0: 3,+0 Total:3

Stamina Total: 28!

Stealth: Roll(2d6)-1: 4,5,-1 Total:8

Something burned within Daelhun as they began their journey for the day.  Where this came from he did not know, but the feeling was almost euphoric as he felt as if he could go all day long, and that they did, with Daelhun finally not slowing the company down.

GandalfOfBorg

Inspire - (6+2)+4=12
Stamina - (6+5)+2+5+3 Courage=21(+Inspire)
Stealth - (4+1)+4=9(+Inspire)

Knowing the impending doom that awaits his comrades at Eldanar and wishing not to let Daelhun down yet again, Durgil pushes himself and his faithful steed to the fullest.  "We will chase these dogs down today!"  Unfortunately, in his haste, like his comrades, they weren't as careful as they should have been.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

The day drifted wearily by like those prior and while Dirnhael and his Company made good headway in catching up to the wain that drew Camentir north, Lûnduf was drawn from his labour by the sound of shouting. He set down the tool that he had been using and walked about the wall of the donjon to peer up at three sentries on the west outer tower. The Dwarf began to sprint towards the tower entrance and was met by Nain and Eradin who had also heard the alarm. The trio mounted the stairs that led to the roof and moments later stepped back out into the afternoon sky. One of the sentries turned to Eradin and spoke.

"My Lord," he said as he pointed out to the white plain below, "It would appear that the Enemy has come, or at least a reconnaissance!"

Lunduf peered through the crenellation and saw a recognizable banner unfurled - it was that of the Easterling, Durac who had attacked them in the few weeks prior. He sat before his colors upon a large roan and behind him was a troop of cavalry roughly thirty strong.

"They are sizing us up..." whispered Eradin behind him.

Dirnhael and his riders pushed themselves on through the morning and into the dusk of afternoon. When the sun was beginning to fall towards the western horizon, the Company mounted a hill and from their new height could see the road north stretch out before them. The wagon was close enough to be seen by the eyes of the Men as well as the Elf - it still rolled north at a slow pace, being drawn by a pair of horses. Around their quarry rode an entourage of seven other riders. Dirnhael counted... seven riders and two men on the wain. It was going to be a challenge.

"We need a distraction," said Edrahil. "We need to draw the riders away from the wagon and while they have been drawn off, we take Camentir."

GandalfOfBorg

"I'll go.  Three for the distraction and two for the rescue?" Durgil queries Daelhun.
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat
:arrow: Required Tests:
Travel - Stamina Test TN 20
Stealth Test (rolls will be added to determine results)

:arrow: Stamina Test (TN 20)
Stamina +3, Tireless +4, Horse +5, Injured -3 (That's his correct status, right?) = +9
Roll(2d6)+9:5,6,+9 Total:20  :o

:arrow: Stealth Test (TN ?)
Stealth -1
Roll(2d6)-1:6,5,-1 Total:10
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg"I'll go.  Three for the distraction and two for the rescue?" Durgil queries Daelhun.

"The 'distraction' will be far more than that, I fear," said Dirnhael.
"We may be able to make headway, but we will have to face at least most of these men with steel in hand."
Dirnhael looked his wounded comrades, and then his eyes flashed momentarily towards his Elven friend - if they ever were in need of his powers, it was now...

GandalfOfBorg

Noticing Dirnhael's look around, Durgil asks, "Is there anywhere ahead that we could lay an ambush for them to maybe even the odds?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorgNoticing Dirnhael's look around, Durgil asks, "Is there anywhere ahead that we could lay an ambush for them to maybe even the odds?"

"Exactly what I was thinking," said Dirnhael. They are not expecting us, and we have both bow and steed available - and Edrahil. This, plus the element of surprise, gives us a chance."

He looked around the group. "I am open to suggestions. We need a plan that will deliver a deadly blow to our foes quickly. We do not wish to stand toe-to-toe with them in our present condition any longer than we must."

tomcat

"The horsemen guard must be drawn from the wain and not for any purpose of combat. They must be drawn out and led away as far as is possible and for long as is possible. It will be a game of cat and mouse - the mouse, or mice, keeping the attention of the riders while the rest of our Company can pluck our friend from the Enemy's grasp."

Edrahil continued, "I suggest this Dirnhael... Fengel and I ride about and come before those below us. We will give them a reason to pursue, I promise you." The humorless smile that crossed the Elf's face told the others what he meant.

"I choose Fengel as my companion because he is most wounded and would do best not to get into another skirmish. He is born to the saddle and will be able to evade pursuit alongside me. We will draw off our enemy, lose them from our tail, and then meet you at our encampment from this morning."

He looked to Dirnhael, "That is my suggestion..."

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat"The horsemen guard must be drawn from the wain and not for any purpose of combat. They must be drawn out and led away as far as is possible and for long as is possible. It will be a game of cat and mouse - the mouse, or mice, keeping the attention of the riders while the rest of our Company can pluck our friend from the Enemy's grasp."

Edrahil continued, "I suggest this Dirnhael... Fengel and I ride about and come before those below us. We will give them a reason to pursue, I promise you." The humorless smile that crossed the Elf's face told the others what he meant.

"I choose Fengel as my companion because he is most wounded and would do best not to get into another skirmish. He is born to the saddle and will be able to evade pursuit alongside me. We will draw off our enemy, lose them from our tail, and then meet you at our encampment from this morning."

He looked to Dirnhael, "That is my suggestion..."

It was a risky plan. There were only five of them left, and if Edrahil and Fengel departed, that would leave only Dirnhael and his two younger charges to face the rest - and only Durgil was truly hale. They had to eliminate the guard and take Camentir back to their encampment quickly in case Edrahil and Fengel had not lost their pursuers...
It had two large benefits, however - they may not have to face all the soldiers in battle, and they would already be on the run - looping around and turning back towards Barad Eldanar as quickly as possible.

"We will commence as the sun sets. The veiling darkness that follows will aid Edrahil and Fengel on the run, and will disguise our approach. After the horsemen have been drawn away, we must strike fear into our enemies and end the battle with haste."

tomcat

Fengel listened intently to Dirnhael and a wolf-like smile appeared on his face. He had been raked many times by the abominabal monsters that had set upon them the night before, but he would not let his friends down. He drew in a great breath and twisted the wood of his spear.

He reached behind him and pulled his quiver free from his saddle and handed it to Durgil... "You will need these more than I."

"Come Edrahil, let us head out east using the terrain to mask our movement and come to the fore of these rogues. Camentir wll be freed of his captors soon enough!"

Edrahil looked to Dirnhael while nodding at Fengel's words, "Remember, we shall meet at our last encampment... look for us there! We will not tarry on the way but should we not come, wait no more than a mid-day (or night) for us."

With that the Sindar turned towards Fengel, "Come!"

The two rode down the east side of the hillock and wove in between the available cover as they looped around north.

:arrow: OOC: Hey Shawn, by your post I am assuming you were cool with Edrahil's idea. They will ride out east and then come about to the north to get in front of the wagon to draw them off. That will allow you guys to approach as you will.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil graciously accepted the quiver, his own being nigh empty.  "May Elbereth shine upon your path."  Though tired from the long day of riding, he was more than ready to this over with.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Stefan

Nain stands behind one of the crenelations and speaks to the captain. What little he knew about battle was from behind a similar fortification.  Goblins and easterlings were all alike from the top of a battlement.

"Keep the men off the battlements till the they come closer, there's no point in letting them gauge our strength without tasting it.  Sentries only. If they charge or advance then we will open fire.  Have everyone prepare for the battle just in case."