• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1: North to Eldanar

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2011, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

May 13, 2011, 09:22 AM #75 Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:26 AM by tomcat
The day passed into early evening and a banquet was set for the party that had gathered at Dirnhael and Ioreth's home.

When the newly married couple had moved from Dorthad, first to the lands granted by King Argeleb and then to the lands once owned by Methilir, many of the folk of Dorthad had followed. There was a great love felt by the people for the Lady of the House and they did not want to be separated from her. It was evident in the evening's festivities as people came from about the countryside to add to the feast and merriment. Musicians played on lutes, flutes and accordians while dancers spun and promenaded. It was not meant to be such a gathering and Dirnhael reflected on its dangerous portent, but figured it best that the mood be light before they left on their errand. Only Ioreth was distant to him - and he knew why.

Durgil spoke to his sister, "Your table is fine, Ioreth! It makes sense though, as all of the best cooks followed you here!" He smiled broadly at her and she let slip a smile of her own, replying, "Dear brother, it is the net of security that you and Dirnhael, along with others, provided us here that allowed us to foster such strong homes and relations with our people."

It was a very diplomatic answer and Durgil knew at once that his sister was not of a mood and so he said, "I promise that the safety of all will be maintained through the strength of our arms, and knowing that our loved ones are back home praying for our return makes us work that much harder."

Ioreth nodded. She did not like it that once more her husband was being culled together with his friends to set off on a dangerous adventure, but she knew it needed to be done. It had always been this way for the Dúnedain and it would be this way until there was at last freedom from the Shadows of old.

The night and all the merriment passed and soon only those of Dirnhael's immediate confidence were seated at his table. Edrahil sat in a seat next to him, Fengel by the Sindar, while Durgil sat at the opposite end. The others - Celdrahil, Ginnar, and Madoc -  were spread about. Even though the platters and bowls still remained, Dirnhael asked that there be no disturbances while he and his friends talked. The glow from the fire in the large hearth was the only light and its crackling was all that was heard within the dining hall. The Sindarin mage broke the silence, "I had message sent to me that Mithrandir was in need of us - meaning Fengel and I - and so we hastened to your home, Dirnhael. What we do not know is why? There seems to have been relative peace and quiet since the end of winter... what has occurred that he has gathered us again, and why is he not present?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

"I do not know why the Grey Wanderer himself could not appear," Dirnhael said. "He entrusted Madoc here with his message to me, and I have taken that as a show of faith in him that I will honor."

He went on to relay Gandalf's message to Edrahil and Fengel in hushed tones, noting that the horse-lord's eyes widened as his own did at the words. What had been explained was terrifying.

"I do not know how we could face this foe," he said to the assembled group. "In fact, Gandalf seems to suggest that we do everything we can to avoid doing so. Instead, let us focus merely on finding this relic. We will move quickly and in secret, and trust no one that does not sit at this table presently."

Dirnhael did not wish to leave Ioreth; they had settled into a happy life here. She had made a home of a kind in this land that he had never imagined he would experience, and to leave her alone there once more made him uncomfortable. The two were overcome with sadness for a moment, but he was proud, too - she knew what was at stake, and would not ask him to put others at risk for selfish reasons.
As he gazed at her, over the merry dancers and happy guests, surveying her great hall, it was clear that Ioreth was a Dunedain princess in every way, and Dirnhael knew that her strength would guide him... even without her presence.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

"Agreed. Durgil, will you be taking word to the King? NOw, where is this and what road will we take to get there?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

May 15, 2011, 03:01 PM #78 Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:12 PM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on May 11, 2011, 04:41 PM
Durgil spoke, "Then I shall be the one who will carry the message to the King. Although my sword would be useful on this journey, I see that my position in the court may prove more helpful. I will also make contact with Camentir - he and his Third Host is once more along the northeastern frontier. With his Majesty's permission, perhaps I can have these troops moved to aid you in some manner. I..."

:ooc: Yes, he will be the messenger.

The note from Gandalf spoke once more of Eldanar, the broken Dúnedain fortress that sat on the frontier of Anmgar. Dirnhael and his friends were all to familiar with the place and knew where it lay. The Lord of the House went to a credenza and drew forth a large map that was rolled and then tied with a pice of silk ribbon. They were left here by Methilir but were too useful to discard as they showed all of the lands Amarana along with the surrounding country of Arthedain up until the borders of the north and what now was called Rhudaur.

Dirnhael untied the scroll and unfurled the large map onto the table before them all and placed his finger where the ruins of Eldanar would be found.

This map is of our entire chronicle and may also be found on the menu bar under Maps/Deckplans
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Celdrahil looked at the map. His trained eye studied the terrain and unthinking his mind strayed to planning maneuvers and offenisive and defensive action across the lands.

He traced his finger along the map, "Mounted it should take us a day or two to reach Dol Gormain. I have not been out that far to the north west. Looking at the map its the only spot in which the terrain indicates that a defensive position could be established and held. Its a shame it does not still house a company of knights. Eldanar? Is it a ruin or is it occupied?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on May 15, 2011, 05:35 PM
Celdrahil looked at the map. His trained eye studied the terrain and unthinking his mind strayed to planning maneuvers and offenisive and defensive action across the lands.

He traced his finger along the map, "Mounted it should take us a day or two to reach Dol Gormain. I have not been out that far to the north west. Looking at the map its the only spot in which the terrain indicates that a defensive position could be established and held. Its a shame it does not still house a company of knights. Eldanar? Is it a ruin or is it occupied?"

"The last time I - we - were there," Dirnhael said, looking to Fengel and Edrahil, "a small group of Camentir's men held Eldanar after we drove off the dragon Scatha."
He shook his head. "But that was seasons ago, and that land would have been extremely difficult to hold. It was far north, and the keep was in ruin - more so after our battle there... where we lost our friend Lunduf." He nodded to Ginnar in respect.

"I would expect no aid there," he surmised. "The land is rocky, barren and unforgiving. It will be difficult even to hide so close to the Witch-King's gaze."

Posterboy

Ginnar also examined the map laid before them, tracing a massive finger along the route. When Celdrahil made mention of traveling mounted, the dwarf grimaced slightly. Like most of his kin, the thought of his feet not firmly planted on the earth made Ginnar uneasy.

He pushed his discomfort aside however. Quick time was required, and he would do what was necessary.

"The last time I - we - were there," Dirnhael said, looking to Fengel and Edrahil, "a small group of Camentir's men held Eldanar after we drove off the dragon Scatha."
He shook his head. "But that was seasons ago, and that land would have been extremely difficult to hold. It was far north, and the keep was in ruin - more so after our battle there... where we lost our friend Lunduf." He nodded to Ginnar in respect.

"Ah, that I could have been there that day," the dwarf rumbled, a deep, cold rage bubbling up. Looking back at Dirnhael, his eyes steeled, "It will be my honour t' serve along side you, m'Lord, in place of my kinsman."

sdrotar

Quote from: Posterboy on May 15, 2011, 08:47 PM

"Ah, that I could have been there that day," the dwarf rumbled, a deep, cold rage bubbling up. Looking back at Dirnhael, his eyes steeled, "It will be my honour t' serve along side you, m'Lord, in place of my kinsman."

"And I know of the steel from which your kin have been forged," Dirnhael replied. "I already feel more confident knowing such strength rides with us. We will need it."

Telcontar

"So we will make for Dol Gormain first. We could do so in the open I think. Of all the errands that we could be on the one we are undertaking is probably furthest from our enemies mind. Edrahil do you have any knowledge of what these things are that Mithrandir speaks of?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Leaving this one for more roleplaying

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on May 16, 2011, 06:17 AM
"So we will make for Dol Gormain first. We could do so in the open I think.

"I agree. The first leg of our journey there would not likely draw undue attention, and we'd make far better time."

Nolmir

Madoc's brow wrinkled as he studied the unfamiliar map. He had seen maps of the region before, but that was long ago and those maps were of far less detail, so he took his time before speaking.

"It sounds like a plan, then," the commoner said. "As for Gandalf, he said he had another errand to attend to. I know not what could be so important, but those were his words." He looked to the elf, studying him. "I don't know the extent of your knowledge, master elf, but I doubt that many have heard of these... shadows. I have not, at any rate. They are pure evil - I can tell you that from one brief encounter - and they are powerful, as Gandalf said."

Nolmir

:ooc: Also, thought I'd let everyone know that I'll be leaving to go overseas on Monday, and I'll be gone for a few weeks (5, I think). I'll have internet access, but I'll be busy, especially the first week, so my posting might be slow. Feel free to puppeteer Madoc to keep the story moving if you need to, Tomcat.

tomcat

May 22, 2011, 06:03 PM #88 Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:06 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Telcontar on May 16, 2011, 06:17 AM"Edrahil do you have any knowledge of what these things are that Mithrandir speaks of?"

Quote from: Nolmir"I don't know the extent of your knowledge, master elf, but I doubt that many have heard of these... shadows. I have not, at any rate. They are pure evil - I can tell you that from one brief encounter - and they are powerful, as Gandalf said."

:ooc: Sorry guys... I missed this...

Edrahil tilted his head in thought and then spoke, "Spirits and ghosts of men are things unknown to Elves, as we do not know why or where it is that the spirits of men pass to beyond the pale. Thus when one of your spirits are caught between realms and haunts a place, it leaves us puzzled. Elves hold no fear of these spirits as we have seen the holy land, or at least shall one day return, and cannot understand death as you know it. Still there are fell-spirits beyond the doors of night and it is said that these terrible things entered our world ages past. Dwimmerlaiks, ghouls, wraiths, and fell things that inhabit the living and turn them into werewolves and vampires... these things cast a great fear and it takes hardy folk to stand before them... even among my own folk." The Sindarin mage poured wine in his cup, "If there is some force, or necromancer with the arts to summon such things, then the North is in great jeapordy."

tomcat

Fengel replied, "Is the Witch-king not such a being? Someone that could raise such spirits? After all, he did call forth the dragon Scatha."

"It is not known whether Scatha came of his own free will to plunder the north, or if he answered another's call. But the Witch-king certainly does have the power to make such a beckon... still, I do not know if he has the arts to draw fell-spirits from beyond the Doors of Night. It is a mystery that we will have to investigate. I will join you on this quest, Dirnhael, as it seems that the realms of the Elves may be in as much danger here as those of Men."

"I too will ride with you," said Fengel. "Perhaps Cerduil and Vorandúr once more standing in defiance will end this new threat."

To this, Dirnhael turned to the hearth and mantle over which hung his longsword, forged be Men and graced by the Elves - by the Lady Arwen, no less. Vorandúr and its tracery of Mithril shown with the light cast by the fire seeming to make it also ablaze. Their path chosen and the members true, their new company would leave with the morning light.

Dirnhael strode from the dining hall to call on his servants. They would need the horses prepped with supplies to sustain them for many days. As he passed, he took the sword from its hanging mounts and continued out of the room. The other companions all stood in silence with their own thoughts of the upcoming task.

Lady Ioreth entered the room. She saw her husband's sword was no longer above the mantle. She sighed and spoke, "Rooms have been prepared for you all. Breakfast will be ready with the first light. Good night, good sirs."