• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 28, 2024, 02:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1: North to Eldanar

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2011, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nolmir

"I saw... shadows when I met Gandalf. They seemed pure evil to me. I assumed they were what Gandalf's message was about, and if so, I wasn't about to let them corrupt what's still good in the North," Madoc replied, carefully excluding the part where he ran away, for the sake of pride. "And more than that, I'm a man of his word," he added, somewhat indignantly. "I gave my word to Gandalf that I would get this message to you, so I did. 'To promise is one thing, and to keep is another,' as my mum always used to say."

Madoc paused as he sized up this Dunadan. He was a far cry from Celdrahil's aristocratic snobbery, as Madoc perceived it. "I am of Cardolan. A servant of the lord Dervorin, whose lands are near Tharbad - or leastways I was, until the plague hit. Killed my lord and most of the household. I did what my people always do - survive. I took mostly to the woods, hunting and gathering. We began to come under Orc and hill-man raids soon after the plague passed through, and I did my best to defend what remained of my lord's people, alongside the other surviving men.

"Eventually, I realized that our struggle was hopeless. Each raid killed a few more, and our numbers were not growing. I struck out north, hoping to find lands were strength and courage still dwelt, where I could survive, and find help for my people. I've seen that Arthedain still has troubles of its own, and help is not easy to find.

"As for returning home, I have little to return to, and I like to think I could be of help with whatever it is that Gandalf requested of you. If I'm right about the shadows, I suspect you'll need all the help you can get."

Madoc looked hopefully to Dirnhael. This could be his chance to get in the good graces of these Dunedain, to earn goodwill that might one day help his people. But just as much, he really did want to help. It wasn't as if he had other things to do, and the shadows really had scared him.

sdrotar

"I know of the plague," Dirnhael said softly. Leaving Cardolan and finding a cure for it took over a year of his life, and that quest claimed the lives of some of his companions along the way, placing him in an unexpected role of leadership that he had never sought, but took to as a matter of necessity.

"What we must face next is worse."
He looked to Celradhil and Durgil - who he asked to fetch Ginnar.
The Dwarf was a cousin of his dearly departed companion Lunduf, who set out with him from Tharbad so long ago, only to sacrifice himself to save others in the battle with the great dragon Scatha. Ginnar had proven to be a boon companion in the months during the keep's reconstruction, and if he were half the Dwarf his cousin was, then Dirnhael was certain that he would be a great ally indeed.

When they were assembled, Dirnhael read them the letter in his private study.
"We will need to travel quickly, and in secret," he said. "The Shadow's eyes see far."

He looked to each of them.
"What say you? There is no shame in declining this great quest, but not a word can be breathed of it. Too much is at stake."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

"This is beyond my ken. Orcs, wargs, hell even trolls I know something about. This is different. Should we call Edrahil? will he come if we call? When I sojourned to methilir's he cast a dwemor on me. To call him in need. I never used it, perhaps it still works. If this threat is as bad as it appears, and the word of Mithrandir says it is, then this is something the Eldar should know of. Their aid is secondary to their knowing this evil is afoot.

This.... is bad. Armies of flesh and iron we have prepared against, this is something else."

Celdrahil seemed lost in thought for a moment, "Mithrandir has given us a task, I will see it through. If he is unsure than the libraries of Fornost will provide no answer either.  I say we send this message to the King with a trusted man. Bad news does not get better with age and then ride out to meet this threat."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Posterboy

Ginnar hoisted up another stone on the winch, his corded muscles tense from the weight. Above, two men careful slid the stone in place. The dwarf admired the work. It's a good fit, he noted with pleasure. It will withstand a solid barrage from any siege engine.

His thought was interrupted by one of Lord Dirnhael's recent guests. The man informed him that the Lord of the manor required him.

"Aye," Ginnar acknowledged. Turning towards the labourers, he gave instructions, "Alright, lads! I want to see another row along the eastern wall before night fall. We'll make a mountain out of this molehill yet!" He laughed

:ooc: More to follow regarding the meeting with Dirnhael and the others tommorow. So tired tonight.

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on May 09, 2011, 08:10 PM
"I say we send this message to the King with a trusted man."

"I agree, of course," Dirnhael said. "There are those at Amaran who could be trusted with such a message. But this threat could stir such fear and panic... I am afraid of what would happen if word got out.  I know little of courtly ways - is there a path we could choose where the guard could be raised without explaining exactly why?"

Telcontar

"No that would cause a greater panic. Key individuals would have to know what was going on so that they could maintain the confidence and support of thier troops. I think infroming the king or the steward would be sufficent."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Quote from: Telcontar on May 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
"No that would cause a greater panic. Key individuals would have to know what was going on so that they could maintain the confidence and support of thier troops. I think infroming the king or the steward would be sufficent."

"Very well," Dirnhael said with a nod. He knew that Celdrahil's advice here was sound, and they would have to trust that things would be handled safely in their absence.
"But I do not intend to wait for any royal decree before I depart. Mithrandir tasks me with urgency - something he would not do unless he felt it most necessary, and so I will see it done with equal haste."

tomcat

Durgil spoke, "Then I shall be the one who will carry the message to the King. Although my sword would be useful on this journey, I see that my position in the court may prove more helpful. I will also make contact with Camentir - he and his Third Host is once more along the northeastern frontier. With his Majesty's permission, perhaps I can have these troops moved to aid you in some manner. I..."

The young noble's words were suddenly cut short as a trio of persons walked into Dirnhael's dining hall - it was a man, an elf, and a dwarf - and for a moment, Dirnhael felt a sudden rush of deja vu. The three nobles all felt their jaws drop open as they looked upon Edrahil and the long blond-haired Éothraim, Fengel, while Madoc stood in confusion as to what was going on.

Ginnar smiled at the shocked faces and Fengel spoke, "Hello, Dirnhael. Durgil. T'is been awhile. I was tending my fields a week past when Edrahil rode up onto my land saying that the Gray Wanderer had need of us again. So... here we are. Are we late?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

"Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo im gelir ceni ad lín le suilon!"
Your magic works quick Edrahil, I had thought to use it and here you appear before us!

"Mithrandir is everwhere at once its seems. This is both a good omen for us and an indication of the threat that is before us."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Nolmir

Madoc looked from the Dunedain to the newcomers in confusion.

"Who are these men? Are they friends?" Madoc asked, a hint of suspicion in his voice, as he looked to Dirnhael for answers. But even as he spoke, he knew his suspicion was probably unfounded. Celdrahil had invoked the name of Mithrandir, who he had gathered was another name of Gandalf's, and the Dunedan noble was one of the most suspicious people Madoc had met.

"You're friends of Gandalf?" he asked, turning to the newcomers. Though he knew little very of elves, he suspected that Edrahil was one.

tomcat

May 12, 2011, 11:53 AM #70 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:55 AM by tomcat
Edrahil answered Madoc's question, "I have known Mithrandir for many years beyond the span of most men, but he is known to my companion through our adventures with Dirnhael. As to our relation with Dirnhael, he has been a boon companion to Fengel and me for the last three years." He then looked at Celdrahil, "Mae govannen, Celdrahil."

The Sindar began to settle himself by unburdening his few items - Fengel followed suit. Behind the two, a woman rushed into the dining room, "I heard that Durgil is here!" It was Ioreth, wife of Dirnhael and sister to Durgil. Her pleasing smile retreated from her face when she saw the number and content of her guests. She looked to her husband and Dirnhael knew that she was displeased with what lay before them, even though it was still unknown to them all.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Celdrahil bowed when the lady of the house entered their company. "Lady it is a pleasure to see you. The fading days of the west are less painful in your company. Let us rejoice in the union of old friends and enjoy the hospitality of the house before commencing with our errand. If that pleases all here?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Posterboy

"A fine idea, Master Celdrahil," agreed the dwarf, who was eager for a stout drink to wash down the day's work. "And all th' more reason t' celebrate, as it seems ol' Gandalf  has managed t' conjure up quite th' company for this quest."

sdrotar

Quote from: Nolmir on May 12, 2011, 10:24 AM
Madoc looked from the Dunedain to the newcomers in confusion.

"Who are these men? Are they friends?" Madoc asked, a hint of suspicion in his voice, as he looked to Dirnhael for answers.

"The very best," Dirnhael said, with more than a bit of surprise. "There are no people in all of Middle-Earth that I trust more."
He greeted them each with a hearty embrace - he was stunned and delighted to see them here, even though he knew that it was for all the wrong reasons.

For tonight, at least, they could put that aside. Celdrahil was right - this was an evening for rejoicing; for none knew when another such opportunity might come.

Nolmir

Madoc nodded at the explanations, looking satisfied at their responses.

"Aye, master dwarf. And more than that, may all here drink to everyone's health and safety in our quest, and the friendship of us all," he said, striding over to greet the new arrivals and Ioreth. "Hello, friends, lady. We have not met; I am called Madoc."