• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:45 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1: North to Eldanar

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2011, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 26, 2011, 02:28 AM:ooc: Dirnhael is now part of the aristocracy, but at heart, he's still a adopted peasant boy from the Cardolan region himself. He's going to have an interesting time balancing these two fellows...   :)

:ooc: I just want to point out geneology of Dirnhael, or maybe pedigree is the right word, so there is no mistaking the term adopted... Dirnhael is a full-blooded Dúnadan, born of Ardil. Ardil was of the folk of Cardolan and when he died, his son was taken into the house of another full-blooded Dúnadan, named Celephain (pronounced Kelafane - not the word for saran wrap  (-D ). The people of Cardolan were considered country, but gentry, as they were far from Anúminas and later Fornost. Tharbad was considered a major trade city, but it still was out on the peripheree with the true aristocracy up north. As for Rhudaur, well that was even a step lower.

I give this info for continuity and for the basic reasons as to why Dirnhael was knighted in Argeleb's court and was able to marry a woman, Durgil's sister, with their noble lineage. Of course, there are other reasons too - like the fact that Dirnhael faced every danger bringing home a salvation for the prince; turns out he is a good warrior; Ioreth and he fell in love; etc.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nolmir

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 25, 2011, 11:51 AM
:ooc: I am enjoying this, guys! I really like good roleplaying and this is it.

Just as an aside, and not meant to criticize, so please do not take it as such, but a lesson in Tolkien languages:

The terms Dúnedain and Dúnadan are the same but one is plural and the other singular, repsectively. Dúnedain meaning Men of the West, and Dúnadan meaning Man of the West.

- as in -

adan meaning man
edain meaning men
Dún meaning West

So, Dirnhael is a Dúnadan among Dúnedain

You may already be learned in Tolkien's languages and not need this, but if not, I just wanted to add this so that when you guys post you have the context the way you want it.

Okay, lesson over - back to gaming!

:ooc: I knew the basics of the word (men of the west), but somehow hadn't made the distinction between singular and plural... Good info.

Nolmir

Madoc bristled at Celdrahil's ignoring of his proffered hand.

"My mum used to say 'small pigeons can carry great messages.' A man's worth is not determined by his appearance or manner, Dunadan.

"But enough of this. We'd best get the message I carry to Lord Dirnhael as quickly as we can," he said, putting undue emphasis on the word "lord." This noble was quickly changing from a threat to an annoyance in Madoc's mind.

Telcontar

Celdrahil took no notice of the sarcasim in the messangers voice in using the word Lord, "I see you can learn, that's good. Where in Cardolan are you from? I traveled through there upon a time. I was in the marches of the west near Larach Duhnnan. Some of my people still dwell out that way and the Dunmen occasionnly need to be reminded that they do not yet own everything, from there i moved further north past old Eregion and the border of old Rhuduar hunting orcs. The shadow creeps between every crack in both the north and south Kingdoms, like water that finds its way in and then freezes making the breach wider. You are now near the northern border of Arnor, and not far from here the Witch King plots the downfall of my cousins of the north. We are, as a result, cautious and ambush and intrigue are not unknown upon the road.

I see that hastes drives you, we can ride through the night if necessary. I have come from Fornost and heard of no such pressing need of the crown for Lord Dirnhael so I am assuming its not through official channels."

:ooc: Tomcat, not sure where we are or where we are going. So I dont know if its worth it or not to keep ridding. So its up to you on that one.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Nolmir

"I am from the land near Tharbad. That is where my lord held his land before being killed by the plague," Madoc said. "I know all too well of the shadow and its servants - ever since the decline of the Dunedain of Cardolan, my people have had to fight to survive. Those that survive of my kin must use caution also. While this is a border with the deserted wastes that evil claims, my home is quickly becoming that waste, so do not speak to me of caution as if I do not know of it."

He studied the Dunadan as he spoke. The man was obviously not easily deterred or fazed, but Madoc also thought it appeared he thought a bit too much of himself.

"And aye, haste does drive me. The one that sent me with my message was very firm on that, and I have been convinced of its need. As far as I know, he does not work through 'official channels.' So we best hurry."

Telcontar

Celdrahil made no further conversation along the ride, his horse's pace increased a bit but soon set into a rhythm that ate up the road before him.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

#:S

:ooc: Wheew! I was worried that the story might end before it began with the pride of two men taking to swords and gutting one another!  ;)

No, just kidding! I liked the initial interaction. Celdrahil is going to be a real pill, Tom!

In answer to where you are, here is the map that I posted before with a picture of the two counties - Dorthad and Amaran - and where you guys are on the road.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: I am going to assume then that even if we ride through the night we wouldnt make it, but hat a solid push deep into torrow would. if my distances are off I'll adjust the post.

Celdrahil steered his mount towards Durgil's home, "Ahead is the home of Lord Durgil of Dorthad. We can find shelter there, he is the warden of the North Marches. From there we can arise early and make Dirnhael's fief late into the evening tomorrow. The road is in ill repair after the winter and taking the horses at night may make for longer delays."

:ooc: ;D 3,000 years of family history is a heavy burden.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Quote from: Nolmir on Apr 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
"I am from the land near Tharbad. That is where my lord held his land before being killed by the plague," Madoc said.

:ooc: Looove that stuff we RP'd almost eight years ago still comes into play with completely new characters! For those of you who are new (or newer) to the story, Dirnhael was originally sent out from Tharbad to find a cure for that plague. Eventually, he and his companions did - though at great cost - and it's terrific that the effects of that first adventure still "live" in our little world. :)
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Nolmir

Quote from: sdrotar on Apr 26, 2011, 05:59 PM
Quote from: Nolmir on Apr 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
"I am from the land near Tharbad. That is where my lord held his land before being killed by the plague," Madoc said.

:ooc: Looove that stuff we RP'd almost eight years ago still comes into play with completely new characters! For those of you who are new (or newer) to the story, Dirnhael was originally sent out from Tharbad to find a cure for that plague. Eventually, he and his companions did - though at great cost - and it's terrific that the effects of that first adventure still "live" in our little world. :)

:ooc: It's definitely one of the great things about rpg's - your adventures actually can shape the game's world. That was actually one of the reasons I wanted to play a character from Cardolan. ;D

tomcat

Celdrahil and Madoc were warmly received in the house of Durgil and Gléowyn.

"Welcome home, friend," said Durgil as he grasped Celdrahil's arm. He offered Madoc a nod and a smile, "You are a traveling companion?"

The Dúnadan noble from Ithillien explained the two traveler's meeting and Durgil was immediately intrigued with Madoc's errand and inquired as to its source, "You have ridden far and rapidly... who would set you on a trail with such haste as if the hosts of Angmar ride after you?"

Telcontar

:ooc: How far of a ride is it from here to Dirnhael's house?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Nolmir

Quote"Welcome home, friend," said Durgil as he grasped Celdrahil's arm. He offered Madoc a nod and a smile, "You are a traveling companion?"

"Something like that," Madoc said, smiling somewhat, as the noble had no idea of how Celdhrahil and he had gotten on.

He hesitated more at the noble's second question. "No offense intended, but I'd rather not say. I was told the message was for Dirnhael, and there's no way of knowing, beyond your word, that you are not his enemies. You seem kind, and I'm most likely being a bit too distrustful, but I don't know you. I think it's best for me to just say that my errand is important and urgent. I welcome any aid you're willing to provide, but until I reach Dirnhael, I'll keep the details to myself."

tomcat

Apr 28, 2011, 07:28 AM #28 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2014, 09:37 AM by tomcat
Durgil looked at Madoc. If he was put off by his new guest's remark, it did not show on his face, but Madoc could sense that there was more behind the noble's eyes now. The lord of the house merely said, in a halting fashion, "As you will... but know you this, Dirnhael is my brother-in-law by marriage with my beloved sister, and the two of us have bled on the field side-by-side as the forces of Angmar swelled around us. The only issue of trust that I have is with a stranger in my home judging my intentions." Durgil's voice had changed slightly from warm to more stern. "T'was not a year past that assassins were set upon my brother and his companions on the road from Fornost, while I languished within prison due to anothers greed. All the while Dirnhael sought to keep safe my lands, my family, and the strength of unity of our kingdom. So know this Madoc, you are a guest in my house and will be well treated and tended, and your errand may remain a mystery until we come to my brother's home two days hence. But it is your secrecy on this matter that will maintain a vigilance of your intentions."

Durgil's mood softened, "This said," he paused as he once more sized up the man of Cardolan. "I admire your honour in keeping to the duty that you have taken upon yourself, and keeping it safe. Come... let me see you to quarters where you may freshen yourselves from your travels and then we will sup."

The noble led them further into Dorthad's manor and Madoc was impressed. It was not a castle and had scant fortifications. It was a home and it was warm and inviting and became even moreso when he at last met the lady of the house -  Gléowyn. From her stature and her long golden hair, Madoc knew she was not of Dúnadan blood. She was beautiful and elegant and her voice pleasant as she spoke, "Welcome home, Celdrahil. T'is wonderful to see you safely back from your errand that my husband sent you on. You would think he would allow you rest and send one of our other messengers." She then looked at Madoc and smiled, "I welcome you to our home, Madoc of Cardolan. May you find rest here from your long road."

Through an arched passage, the sounds and smells of a table being set pervaded the room. Madoc could smell fresh baked food and meat that had not been just spitted, but also seasoned. His stomach audibly grumbled and a look of embarrassment crossed his face. Gléowyn giggled and said, "Come let us eat before our guest wastes away."

:ooc: RP how you would like here, but I will move the story on with a new thread a little later on (especially if I see no converstiaon desired).

Telcontar

"My Lady, the open road is good for me. I am not yet ready for a hearth and home of my own, and the road reminds me that I have much traveling left to do before then. As always, it is a pleasure to rest here in your home as a refuge and sanctuary."

Celdrahil will observe all the formalities of the table during dinner. His aloofness alone would be warning enough to his hosts and friends that he does not yet trust the companion he entered their home with.

When dinner was concluded Celdrahil took the opportunity to discuss several general things with Lord Durgil.
"Lord Durgil, while I always welcome the chance to travel this land and some messages are better received with a messenger it may be time we established a pigeon service here within your fief. It is used quite effectively on the borders of the dark land in Ithilien. Of course sensitive materials are not always secure, but when speed is of the essence it has its advantages. I would recommend several stations, one here at your home, one with Durgil and your chief Lieutenants, another with the Marshall of the North, and the last with Fornost itself."
Celdarhil then smiled and picked up what must have been a familiar thread between the two, "I also again encourage you to construct at least the semblance of a wall around your home. If for nothing else than to keep the cows out of the living room. I took the opportunity while in Fornost to also address with the Steward several other recommendations and ideas for the upcoming year, but we can save those for another time."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear