• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:48 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A Dwarf home

Started by tomcat, Jan 28, 2011, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jan 28, 2011, 11:27 AM Last Edit: Jan 28, 2011, 11:32 AM by tomcat
With a last few clatterings of weapons, the beasts went still and quiet resumed. Turumarth was staggering back using all of his will to maintain his feet. His staff still glowed with light, but yet the mana resolved itself through his willpower and that was fading, and thus, so was the light. The others stood in the gloom and looked at the gore around them. The mewlips battled to the end, sustaining wounds that would be fatal to a living thing. But now the corridor was filled with severed parts, black ichor, and viscera that filled the air with a wretched smell. Panting from the exertion, the companions began to slowly back away from the combat area and towards the foyer in which Gumbo had run. Having nowhere else to go, Idhriel followed the others until they all were gathered in the entrance to the old dwarf mansion. An iron door hung on one wall, but other than that the room was empty.

Seeing his friends enter as the victors, Gumbo was at first elated but then felt shame. The horrors had finally broken his will and caused him to run. He did not wish to face them.

Kori gestured to the others to aid Turumarth over to a smooth place on the floor, and the old dwarf craftsman began to make a hasty bed. "Lay him here. We must see to his wounds. We do not wish the foul claws of those things to cause him worse injury, and I have heard rumor that Moria can deepen a wound or illness."

While the others laid him down, Kori rummaged through his pack in search of medicines and bandages that he might help the mage.

To Gumbo, the darkpit was all around them, but in that darkness there was a dwarf-ness about it that had not been destroyed. It was in the very stone, as if it called out to the ancient dwellers of the halls and deeps. Gumbo was encouraged by what he felt and believed the others could use such encouragement. Taking out his pipe and packing it, he commenced to sing...

[The Lay of Dain]

The sun on earthen ramparts shown,
     stakes and pikes firmly planted.
There was no time for works of stone,
     Dwarven day of vengeance granted.

Lines of battle firmly and resolutely strung,
     thump, thump, thump the boots of Aule's sons.
Clash, clash, clash axe and hammer rung,
     in Dimrill Dale where the Silverlode Runs.

From the dank ranks of Orcin spawn,
     Harsh cries and curses were chanted.
Weapons of dwarven steel were drawn,

Upon the gate and from within the keep,
     ranks of Orcs and trolls with drums.
Vomited up from Moria deep,
     in Dimrill Dale where the Silverlode runs.

From the plains the Dwarves up lept,
     Stout legs pounding, mouths panted.
"For Thror and the Halls where Durin slept!"

Upon the stairs the battle thickly fought,
     battle marked only by the passing of the sun.
The champions each other sought,
     in Dimrill Dale where the Silverlode runs.

Orc King Azog all clad in mail,
     with deadly lance did he impale.
All warriors that upon him set,
     those before him death quickly met.

Boast most foul from his mouth did swell,
     "Where does the pride of Durin dwell?"
Who would meet him upon the stair,
     and withstand his arms to bear?

From the ranks rose the kinsman of the murdered King.
Brave Nain! Forth would the battle bring!
Boldly met the Orc before his liar,
     and fought upon the stair.

Lance and Axe flashed and crashed,
     the shields of both were rent and bashed.
All faces around were drawn to stare,
     while they fought upon that stair.

With vicious blow did Nain give,
     to the ground went Azog, yet live!
To Nain he cried in twisted plea,
    the Bane of Durin he would pay in fee.

The girdle of Thror from his waist he offered,
      and more within in wergild proffer.
Nain paused when his eyes did see
      the belt of Thror, his king and kinsman as fee.

The lance of Azog quickly shot,
     and in the breast of Nain it caught.
The mighty dwarf did swoon and fall,
     but lo from the ranks another call!

Up stepped Dain the fallen's young son,
     with axe up held upon Azog he sprung. 
The Orc King laughed and lance he swung,
     but quickly did Dain run.

Uplifted foot upon the lance he struck,
     while the axe his neck stuck.
"Ironfoot! Ironfoot!" The dwarves chanted,
     Dwarven day of vengeance granted!

The battle lines of Orcs to the depths did flee.
Dain looked in the halls untouched by sun,
     the bane of Durin then did he truly see.
In Dimrill Dale where the Silverlode Runs.

:ooc: Kori has some skill with medicine, but it is a total of +6 once all things are added up. If there as any others that have better Treat Wounds skills, chime in.

The craftsman has the gear packed for the journey, just not the greatest capability with it.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Jingo

"I pray he is not too badly injured," Idhriel muttered softly, and sat in a crouch nearby, studying the mage upon the makeshift bed. "I myself know very little of healing," She admitted, but felt the man's plight. "But if there is anything I can do..." She let the offer hang in the air as Gumbo began to sing.

She felt like joining in, such did the music and the words touch her to her core, yet she did not know the song and so she kept silent, and cleaned off her blades of their ichor, all the while feeling the desire to weep.

When he finished she smiled gravely and spoke in her musical voice. "'Tis a dim tale you weave. A tale of bitter loss indeed!" She turned to the dwarves and inclined her head in a show of respect. "I am sorry to hear of this tale and to see this once great hold fall to the shadow!"

Telcontar

"The tale Lady was one I witnessed, I never thought I myself would be here in the depths of these old halls. My Courage left me, that I will admit before you all. But I desire not to see the light of day while the Captain of the company tells us to continue. These walls were made by dwarves, and the hot forge of Aule's heart will know that we are here, and perhaps the spraks of his forge will fall upon his kin here with us and we will prevail for a time to bring light and music to these halls. I am just a Hobbit, a touch of dwarvishness to be sure, but a Hobbit none the less. Though if my fate is to perish here in the Halls of Durin unsung by my own kin, I hope that in some long distant day when this past is lost even to elves one of his folk would find me here and dust me off with a broom to make a home here. When Durin comes to reclaim these halls perhaps the stone will recall one hobbit from the Shire who stood and fought, or at least tried, to beat back the night.
   I'll stand the watch, while braver men sleep. I have no skill at healing, but I can call out, even in fright, to alert the others."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Looks like we never say die, huh?  ;)

All right... I am willing if you guys are.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: sorry couldnt resist. Do think we should shelf it until we get some more players.  I wasnt really giving Nori his due.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Jingo

Idhriel's eyebrow went up at his tale. "A long journey you've taken then--long to come from the sunshine of the shire! What brings you back to these darkened halls?" She smiled down at him with genuine interest and settled herself more comfortably in a position where she could both watch the hallway for any danger as well as the others. Though she seemed relaxed, she was ready to move at an instant if needed. After cleaning her scimitars, she took out a small whetstone and began sharpening her twin elven scimitars. "Have you and your stout dwarven companions come to bring back the light of Aule's forge?"

Telcontar

"I serve the House of Durin, and have seen much, recieved many scars, and seen many deeds of glory during the Orc War. As for our quest it is not my place to say anything about that, you should ask the Captain of our Company."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Jingo

She nodded and spoke to the dwarves. "Pardon sirs. I mean no rudeness nor disrespect. My people have oft watched the approaches to Durin's Hold. Long it has been since any of your kind have been back to grace these halls. To what purpose do you return?"

tomcat

:ooc: I will update this thread in the morning.

tomcat

Kori looked up from his administrations to the mage. "Honor," he said in a whispered gravel voice. That is why we are here."

The old craftsman realized that since their encounter with the mewlips, this was the first words he had spoken to their new companion. A femal elf... most likely from Lothlorien. Why was she so deep within the dwarven realm? Was she spying on them?

Another voice spoke, as if reading Kori's thoughts, "We thank you for your aid in our recent melee, but what is an elf out of Lothlorien watching us for?" It was Nori. "If I recall, this is a dwarf home and so it is not the responsibility of a dwarf to explain himself within."

Kori could hear the rising contempt in his nephew's voice. He realized that maybe, just maybe, the elves were making sure that what lay within this ancient place was not stirred. "Calm, nephew," he said. "She is not asking more than why. We have no desire to lay any claim here in Moria other than to find that Durin's vaults are still closed. It is honor that I spoke of and the return of pride to my family's name. I need to see if my great-great-grand sire was not remiss in his duties and left the scales of Durin unsealed. It is not gold or silver we seek... not even the legendary mithril, but the weights and measures that all Dwarves value them by. Durin established these things, and to find that they have been defiled will cause terrible misfortunes within our houses... one will not know who is truthful in their smelting of such ores. Yes... new weights and measures have been set, but only Durin's are true to all Dwarves. My grand-sire was responsible for these vaults and I must see that they are intact and closed. I must try to find the keys to the vault, and only then can we," he gestured to Nori, "return with favour to the Iron Hills. We will have returned to our position as keepers of the great measures of Durin. We will have restored our honor."

Nori breathed deep, "We will no longer be paupers amongst our own. Outcasts."

The elder craftsman returned to the treating of Turumarth's wounds.

:ooc: It appears that Kori is the best healer... so here goes:

TN 25 Healing +4, Specialty +2, Affinity skill +1, Courage usage +9 (3*)
*Kori is not going to make it without some serious outside assistance.

-------------------------
Healing test 2d6+7 : 6, 6 + 7, total 19

Don - not sure what your interest is in this game anymore. Let me know if there is none, and if so, perhaps Turumarth will find this chamber to be his last resting place.

I also need all PC's to make a Stamina test TN 12 to resist Weariness

Kori's Stamina test
TN 12 Stamina +2
-------------------------
to resist Weariness 2d6+2 : 3, 6 + 2, total 11

All Wounds and Weariness are harder to recover from while within the dark , oppressive Moria.

tomcat

:ooc: Kori rolled double 6's!! Might not need to spend all of his Courage after all!

cascading d6's 1d6 : 5, total 5

He is however, reduced to Winded -1 for Weariness.

tomcat

:ooc: Need to only use 1 Courage!  ;D

Turumarth is increased to Wounded -5.

Jingo

Idhriel's eyes narrowed somewhat at Nori's words, but she held her peace and kept a reign on her temper. From their point of few, after all, she was possibly seen as an intruder--perhaps not as much as the orcs, but an intruder nonetheless.

She restlessly wondered how to proceed, and paused a moment before responding. "It is well to seek after honor, master dwarf," she nodded to Kori. "'Tis a better thing to seek than the lust of lucre. Than the lure of mithril. For honor once gained or regained is indeed a priceless gift and remains an everlasting monument." Her voice sank into a whisper and she stared down at her blades, composing herself. Her thoughts had turned inward at her own failings and loss of honor, at her quest to atone for such.

"I am a Watcher for the elves," she drew her head up proudly and her eyes shone. "We saw your passage and I was sent to ascertain your purpose for coming here.

"I assume you know of the dark things that prowl these forsaken halls? There are orcs and goblins that dwell here thick in numbers..." Her eyes fastened onto the darkened hallway where the abominable creatures' corpses lay upon the ground befouling it with their black blood "... and it seems worse things. Such could spill forth into our own forests should the evil that has slept within these halls be awakened. That is something we wish to...avoid."

:ooc: Stamina Test:
Rolled 2d6+2 : 3, 4 + 2, total 9

donimator

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 06, 2011, 03:33 PM
Don - not sure what your interest is in this game anymore. Let me know if there is none, and if so, perhaps Turumarth will find this chamber to be his last resting place.

I also need all PC's to make a Stamina test TN 12 to resist Weariness
:ooc: I'll keep him going and will get back to more regular posting soon. It's been a busy month(s) and I've been putting my time into keeping the Space Marine game rolling to the detriment of other games.

Turumarth weakly tried to move his legs and rise as Kori administered, but a gentle push was all it took to force him back down. Wracking coughs brought a trickle of blood to his lips as he writhed in pain, but was thankful for Kori's skill. He would be able to move again, but would be a burden on the others. He grabbed Kori's arm and rasped quietly, "If I fall again or prove a hindrance, leave me. I won't drag you all down with my weakness.".

Turumarth's Stamina Test
Stamina +1, -5 Wounded, TN12

Rolled 2d6-4 : 2, 6 - 4, total 4

Telcontar

:ooc:Gumbo:
Roll(2d6):
1,4,+1 stamina, +4 tireless, -1 dazed
Total:9
Gumbo Fails the weariness test

Nori:
Roll(2d6):
3,3,+2 stamina,+2 hardness,
Total:10
Nori fails his weariness test

The two could feel the weight of Moria dragging down on them, the battle had been a sharp little fight, but would prove difficult to recover from none the less.

Nori despite only receiving minor wounds was not optimistic with their chances, but said nothing and withdrew inwards to contemplate what could be done.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear