• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 09:05 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1 - New course

Started by tomcat, Feb 13, 2010, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rictor

:ooc: Sorry I haven't been online much this week...and the amount of time I was online was spent checking e-mails and such.  I'm getting ready to head out of town for the couple of hours...probably until late tonight.  I'll get a post up in character when I return home...and hopefully be able to check in regularly and post when need be.  This also goes for the Clone Wars game.

Rictor

Feb 27, 2010, 04:00 PM #16 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 07:47 AM by Rictor
Check: Sorek's Perception -1(+3 if Listen) (TN 18)
Roll(2d6-1) 5,4,-1 Total: 8(Fail)(11 if Listen check...still Fail)

tomcat

Feb 27, 2010, 06:58 PM #17 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 07:14 PM by tomcat
The sensor data began to spread to each bridge station, as it related to that station. Grahm looked at the readings and watched as the radiation levels within the cluster spiked to deadly levels. He quickly made status checks of the Columbia's shielding and saw that the starship might not be able to compensate for long exposures within the cluster. The tactical officer was not sure if they would even enter into the mass of stars, but if so, he would have to make some adjustments to the shields. Perhaps Ramos could look at these numbers and offer up some thoughts.

"Captain, based on the readings, the ship could be in danger based on how deep we penetrate the cluster. I am going to need to work with Mr. Ramos to make some modifications to allow for extended exposures."

For Pushkin, the readings were displayed as gravitational stresses and windows, kind of like a picture of a ball of yarn with wrapped pathways of low and high gravity. The helmsman's mind immediately began to see routes he could follow and weave the ship into cluster. It would take some serious piloting, but he could make egress.

Across the bridge from where Grahm sat, Downer now sat in Jess Townshend's station. The new comm officer listened with his earpiece to the sound of the stars. The massive balls of gas not only gave off light but also radio frequencies in a constant hiss that was unique to each star. He amplified the sounds so that others around him could hear the hypnotic sound.

SSSSSssssssssSSSsssssssssssssSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSS......... sssssssssssaaaaaaaavvvvvve usssssssssssss..... SSSSSSSssssssssss

:ooc: The bridge crew may give me an Observe (Listen) test TN 12

Grahm's Perception test:
TN 22 Perception +2 = +2
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,6,+2 Total:11 FAILED

Grahm's Observe (Listen) test:
TN 12 Observe +7, specialty +2 = +9
Roll(2d6)+9: 5,4,+9 Total:18 SUPERIOR SUCCESS
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

donimator

Lt. Downer ran some filters to ensure the sound was clear and unaffected by background noises. He input a sample into the computer for further analysis.

Downer's Observe(Listen) Test
TN 12, Observe +1 Listen Spec. +2 = +3
Roll(2d6) +3 = 1,5 +3 = 9 fail

tomcat

"Eh?" Grahm lifted his head up from the tactical display and glanced to Downer's station. He felt goosebumps rise on his arms, "Did you hear that?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

seppun1

Pushkin looks back to his controls as the information starts appearing.  He scrunches his mouth as he looks at the cluster's effects upon the ship.  He starts to study the scans carefully for a path through the heavy radiation and gravity that the stars are throwing out.  He turns his head as the noise is piped through the speakers. 

Pushkin's Observe (Listen) test:
TN: 12, Observe +1 = +1
Roll(2d6)+1: 5,5,+1 Total:11  FAIL

Rictor

Sorek sat looking at his station as the ship neared the Kayton Cluster.  After a few seconds he tilted his head to the side and concentrated trying to make sure there was nothing audible that was escaping his keen hearing, a gift from the Vulcan half of his heritage.

Check: Sorek's Observe(Listen) ++3 if Listen (TN 12)
Roll(2d6+3) 5,4,+3 Total: 12(Success)

tomcat

Mar 07, 2010, 04:03 PM #22 Last Edit: Mar 09, 2010, 05:47 PM by tomcat
Stonn's Observe (listen) test:
TN 12 Observe +3, Keen-hearing +4 = +7
Roll(2d6)+7: 4,3,+7 Total:14 SUCCESS

It was evident to Grahm that only the two Vulcans had also heard something in the hissing static - or at least thought they heard. The other bridge crewmembers only had a confused look. Standing up, John walked over to where Dylan sat, "Run that back."

As Grahm was of higher rank than Downer, the comm officer did as he was told, not waiting for further instruction from the ship's captain. He pressed a command on his console and tracked back on the sounds he had been playing and then allowed them to re-play again.

SSSSSssssssssSSSsssssssssssssSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSS......... sssssssssssaaaaaaaavvvvvve usssssssssssss....

"There!" Grahm burst out causing Downer to kill the playback. "Did you hear that? I think I hear someone, or something, saying save us."

donimator

Downer listened again and recorded and ran the transmission through filters to clear it up and isolate the portion of interest, shaking his head with annoyance that he missed the message the first time. He compared it to the computer database to see if it could match origin, location or any other distinguishing characteristics. As that ran he tried to lock down a bearing on the transmission, though with the intense radiation of the cluster it might be tough.

(System Ops use per Starfleet Operations Manual)
Downer's System Ops(Comms) test:
TN (unknown) System Ops +8, Comms Spec. +2 = +10
------------------------------
Roll (2d6) +10 = 5,5 +10 = 20

donimator

Downer waits on the computer analysis of the message as he tries to get a bearing on the source of the signal. Could it be a lure? A trap? He thinks to add a a few filter routines that will look for patterns in the message as if it might be a recording. Maybe someone is trying to draw them closer. He increases the scanning spectrum in case some comms are happening at an unusual frequency.

A transmission from Starfleet comes in on a priority channel, but he has to fight to maintain a lock. He gains enough for clarity and then goes white at the message. He pauses a moment before hitting the delay to play it back again over his earpiece as he tries to confirm the source is not some further trick coming from the Cluster.

Authentic...his voice is hoarse as he calls for the Captain, the bridge crew discussing courses of action to deal with the Cluster anomaly. "Captain...Captain!...Message from Starfleet, sir. You...you best listen to it on speaker."

He struggled again to isolate the message from the background before bringing it up:
This is the President of the United Federation of Planets. Do not approach Earth. The transmissions of an orbiting probe are causing critical damage to this planet. It has almost totally ionized our atmosphere. All power sources have failed. All Earth-orbiting Starships are powerless. The probe is vaporizing our oceans. We cannot survive unless a way can be found to respond to the probe. Further communications may not be possible. Save your energy... save yourselves. Avoid the planet Earth at all costs. Farewell.

tomcat

John's initial reaction to the alert was to think of Jess. Her last station was aboard the Earth Spacedock, and all he could do was wonder if she was safe. Then the rest of the situation cascaded into his mind like a tidal wave - that not just Jess and the spacestation, but the entire population of Earth was in jeapordy.

He turned to look at Stonn, realizing that with all the power of the Columbia at his beck and call, he was unable to do anything. He hoped the Vulcan had an answer.

seppun1

Pushkin continues to listen, trying to hear if there was anything in the static.  He shakes his head to himself, looking back to his control, making sure the Columbia was keeping still.  He turns and looks over his shoulder as the word of the priority message comes through. 

He scrunches up his mouth, trying to remain professional at his post.  As the President's message is finished, he turns to look to the Captain.  "Helm is operational and at your ready, Captain." He says simply. 

Rictor

:ooc: Sorry if I'm responsible for holding up the game, but I am awaiting a PM from Tomcat as to what my Observe(Listen) test gave me information wise.

tomcat

:ooc: I will not always PM you with what came of the dice rolls... sometimes they are failures and your PC has no idea anything happened at all. Other times I will give you the results in the narrative as is quoted below, from a post above.

Anyway, the actual hold up is not hearing from Shawn in over a week, and as captain, the ship is kinda hanging on his posts.

Quote from: TomcatIt was evident to Grahm that only the two Vulcans had also heard something in the hissing static - or at least thought they heard. The other bridge crewmembers only had a confused look. Standing up, John walked over to where Dylan sat, "Run that back."

As Grahm was of higher rank than Downer, the comm officer did as he was told, not waiting for further instruction from the ship's captain. He pressed a command on his console and tracked back on the sounds he had been playing and then allowed them to re-play again.

SSSSSssssssssSSSsssssssssssssSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSS......... sssssssssssaaaaaaaavvvvvve usssssssssssss....

"There!" Grahm burst out causing Downer to kill the playback. "Did you hear that? I think I hear someone, or something, saying save us."

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Mar 09, 2010, 09:16 PM

Anyway, the actual hold up is not hearing from Shawn in over a week, and as captain, the ship is kinda hanging on his posts.

:-[

:ooc: That won't happen again. I sincerely apologize.

Stonn sat silent for a moment; though it seemed longer for him then for the humans on the bridge as he postulated different theories as to what was occurring in the Cluster. All that was put aside, however, when Starfleet's message was relayed over the ship's speakers.

It was almost unfathomable. Something of that much destructive force, arriving at Earth undetected? Were this probe and the odd message from the cluster somehow related? It seemed unlikely, but Vulcans were taught as youths that coincidence was often just a pattern yet unnoticed...

"Mr. Pushkin, what is our ETA to Earth at maximum warp?" Stonn heard the order to stay away, and frankly, intended to obey it. But he also intended to keep all avenues open to him.

While he waited for Pushkin to calculate, he turned to Downer at communications. "Mr. Downer, we must isolate the frequency of that message and determine who is sending it, and from where. Mr. Sorek can tie in his station to triangulate if necessary. The sooner, the better, gentlemen."

He could feel Grahm's overwhelming emotion from across the bridge; it was disquieting. He wondered how long the tactical officer would be able to maintain his composure.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun