• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 28, 2024, 10:57 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Leaks and bounds

Started by tomcat, May 04, 2005, 08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

"I'm glad to see that you're doing well, crewman.  I'm sure you'll be..."
The comm interrupts Darkan with the message from Mr. Stonn.  "Get well soon, son.  But don't get too used to the hospital food," he says with a smile.  Once out of sickbay, Darkan gives the bridge a reply and heads to the turbolift.  When it gets to his deck, he finds Ramos inside and joins him on the way to the bridge.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Darkan enters the bridge with Mr. Ramos in tow, the duo wondering what the summons was for and why the ship had been brought to a stop.

The bridge is abuzz with activity as Mr. Stonn walks up to Ramos handing him a PADD with a diagnostic report that he had just run. The engineer's eyes opened a bit when he scanned down the report and saw that the computer's safety systems had effectively shut down most of the sensos suite. It was a safeguard that protected the ship's delicate circuitry and what startled the engineer was that the amount of power was immense enough to have caused even the redundant systems to trip. This was going to be a hefty task before him.

Ramos took the PADD with him, muttering to Stonn and Darkan as he walked towards the Engineering station on the bridge, "I'll have a situation report in about 20 minutes."

Darkan looked about and saw that Pushkin and his navigator companion were both in a deep discussion over the astrogation panel between them. The captain did not know what it was all about, but it didn't seem pressing at the moment. He continued his scan of the bridge and saw all other departments looking busy but seemingly normal. Finally his eyes fell on Townshend who was making some urgent adjustments to her console.

While he looked at her, Pushkin announced, "Captain, I have the Columbia at a full stop. We are using the data from the last sensor scan to plot some local anomolies to keep us in our present position and to not lose our plot on the starcharts."

Effectively what the helmsman was saying was that he was keeping the ship from becoming lost in this huge blanket of gas and space matter.

Astrogation Test TN 20 ( TN 15 +5 for inadequate equipment )
Science: Space (Astrogation) +11, Specialty +2

Roll(2d6)+13: 4,2,+13 Total:19 +3 (Courage) SUCCESS
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"Alright, Mr. Pushkin.  Keep me appraised of your progress."  Sitting down in his chair, he mutters to himself, "Well this is about par for us lately.  What's next?"  As captain, he's practically useless in these kinds of situations.  His people were good at what they do and knew better than to get in their way.  All he could do now is stare at the hazy viewscreen or read those reports that he's let slide while waiting for the updates on the ship's status.

"Hmm... I think I see a Constitution-class in that cloud over there..." he ponders, looking up from the PADD in his hand.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg"Alright, Mr. Pushkin.  Keep me appraised of your progress."  Sitting down in his chair, he mutters to himself, "Well this is about par for us lately.  What's next?"

Hearing his question, Townshend turned in her chair to report her findings to the captain.

"Sir, I am picking up what I believe is an electronic transmission. It is definitely not space noise and the interval seems to be either a beacon or some other kind of transponder. I ran it through the UT but it is too distorted to make any kind of interpretation. I also did a comparitive analysis of the signal and the computer agrees that it is not a pulsar or other space body. Besides, the computer is saying that for the power level of the signal, it is not too far away... maybe 1 to 2 million kilometers away. Close enough for a weak supspace signal to be heard in the nebula."

Across the bridge, Ramos was discovering that he and his teams were looking at a job that would require at least 10 hours until the sensors would be usable... 24 until he felt that the ship once more could get safely under weigh. But he needed to spend a little more time preparing his report for the captain.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"Hmm...  Can you approximate a direction based on signal strength?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

"Yes captain, I believe we could. We are getting a little interference from the nebula but nothing I couldn't compensate." The communications officer was very confident in her skills.

"Close enough for a shuttlecraft ride," said the helmsman as he listened in to the conversation.

GandalfOfBorg

Brightened at the prospect of getting off the ship and doing something, Darkan calls out, "Mr. Pushkin and Mr. Stonn, you're with me.  Mr. Grahm, have one of your people meet us at the shuttle bay.  You have the bridge.  Catch up to us if improvement to the sensors warrant it."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Pushkin clapped his hands together in excitement; it had been a while since he had had the opportunity to fly a shuttlecraft.

"Yes Sir!" he exclaimed. "I will head down to the shuttle bay now and get her prepped."

With that, Pushkin turned to Falcone, the navigator, and gave a nod and a wink, "Be back in a while." The Russian quickly moved to the turbolift.

Townshend finished sending her intership signal to the shuttle hangar to have a shuttle prepared for launch. Grahm had also signaled his department for two security members to head to the hangar with proper gear. The security officer was a little envious of his men but being given the conn was a huge duty. Then his heart sank a little deeper as he heard Townshend speak up to the captain...

"Sir," she said, "won't you need me on this trip to help guide you? I can help Pushkin by tracking the radio signal and it would be easier from the shuttlecraft then it would be from my station here on the bridge."

:arrow: OOC:

Stonn needs to do the following system diagnostic for Ramos (what he gave him on the PADD):

Sys Operations (Sensors) TN 15

Ramos will then need to do:

Engineering: System (Sensors) - he doesn't have Sensors as a specialty, but this is the required test.

-He will gain an affinity bonus of +1 from his staff
-This is an Extended Test TN 150; each individual test is TN 15 and will require 2 hours per test (reduced by DOS); Ramos can only be working on the system for 8 hours total before weariness penalties will start to affect him; if he is 'off the job' to rest, the staff will only get half his skill rank
-Any disastrous failure will add 50 points back to the Extended test goal
-Any failed test will not penalize the system but nor will it add to the extended test goal

Lastly, remember that even though the tests are all rolled now, it is to determine the actual amount of time the ship is going to be stationary and that Ramos will be out of the picture while he repairs the system. If he is needed elsewhere, then he certainly can leave the job but the test results will need to be re-determined.

Any questions, give me a shout

GandalfOfBorg

"Alright, Townshend, you too.  It will be a tight fit in the shuttle, but we'll manage," says Darkan.  With a smile, he added before the turbolift door closed, "And Grahm, please keep the ol' girl from falling apart any further."
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat
Stonn needs to do the following system diagnostic for Ramos (what he gave him on the PADD):

Sys Operations (Sensors) TN 15

Ramos will then need to do:

Engineering: System (Sensors) - he doesn't have Sensors as a specialty, but this is the required test.

-He will gain an affinity bonus of +1 from his staff
-This is an Extended Test TN 150; each individual test is TN 15 and will require 2 hours per test (reduced by DOS); Ramos can only be working on the system for 8 hours total before weariness penalties will start to affect him; if he is 'off the job' to rest, the staff will only get half his skill rank
-Any disastrous failure will add 50 points back to the Extended test goal
-Any failed test will not penalize the system but nor will it add to the extended test goal

Lastly, remember that even though the tests are all rolled now, it is to determine the actual amount of time the ship is going to be stationary and that Ramos will be out of the picture while he repairs the system. If he is needed elsewhere, then he certainly can leave the job but the test results will need to be re-determined.

Any questions, give me a shout

:arrow: Stonn Sys Ops (Sensor) test (TN 15)
Sys Ops (Sensors) +11
Roll(2d6)+11:2,6,+11 Total:19

:arrow: Ramos Engineering: Systems (Sensors) extended test (TN 150/TN 15 per test)
Engineering: Systems +9 (no Sensors specialty), Staff bonus +1
1.) Roll(2d6)+10:2,6,+10 Total:18 - 1.5 hours (132 left)
2.) Roll(2d6)+10:5,4,+10 Total:19 - 1.5 hours (113 left)
3.) Roll(2d6)+10:1,3,+10 Total:14+3 Courage= 17 - 1.5 hours (96 left)
4.) Roll(2d6)+10:3,2,+10 Total:15 - 2 hours (81 left)

Fatigue Test (TN 10)
Roll(2d6)+3:3,5,+3 Total:11
5.) Roll(2d6)+10:4,2,+10 Total:16 - 1.5 hours (65 left)

Fatigue Test (TN 10)
Roll(2d6)+3:2,4,+3 Total:9 - FAIL, Winded (-1)
6.) Roll(2d6)+9:5,5,+9 Total:19 - 1.5 hours (46 left)

Fatigue Test (TN 10)
Roll(2d6)+2:4,3,+2 Total:9 - FAIL, Tired (-2)
7.) Roll(2d6)+8:2,4,+8 Total:14+3 Courage= 17 - 1.5 hours (29 left)

Fatigue Test (TN 10)
Roll(2d6)+1:5,6,+1 Total:12
8.) Roll(2d6)+8:4,6,+8 Total:18 - 1.5 hours(11 left)

Fatigue Test (TN 10)
Roll(2d6)+1: 1,2,+1 Total:4 - FAIL, Fatigued (-4)

OOC: That's it. With the Staff having only half Ramos' skill, I don't think they can get it done, either.
So after 13.5 hours off work, Ramos will tell the repair crew to call it a night, and they should be able to get the last 11 points fixed in the morning.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

sdrotar

Though Stonn grabbed his science tricorder and followed his captain to the turbolift, he had some concerns about this voyage.

When the two had a moment alone, he asked Darkan, "Sir, are you certain that this shuttle flight is necessary? Mr. Ramos will have the sensors repaired tomorrow morning, and we will be able to ascertain much more about the object before placing yourself and other senior officers at potential risk. Star Fleet has invested a great deal into your training, and it would be... unfortunate... to have to replace you."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

"Time, my friend, may have seemed like a luxury before, but it really isn't with this mission.  Right now we do have the time and I won't let it go to waste.  Anyways, I've always preferred the hands-on approach to science," says Darkan.  In a somewhat cospiratorial tone, "Besides, Stonn, what would you be doing if we weren't going out?  Staring idly at blank sensor displays?"
Gwaithlim Weapons