• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 28, 2024, 08:22 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Leaks and bounds

Started by tomcat, May 04, 2005, 08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Dr. Tam and his constituents arrived a few minutes before Ramos and his engineering team and upon their arrival they found the Life Support-A station filled with a cold cloud of steam. The nitrogen spill had caused the floor and surrounding machinery to freeze over and the team had to be careful as they moved into the chamber.

Tam strode over to one of the Environmental crewman who was tending to the other. The young ensign held his hand and upper arm which appeared to be 'burned' by the freezing liquid. The crewman tending to the other looked at Tam as he approached.

"He is burnt... and he can't move his fingers!"

Tam immediately pulled out his medical tricorder and began scanning.

While the medical team worked, Ramos and his staff entered the station. The engineering staff began to evaluate the situation and prepare to close the valve and seal the line...

:arrow: OOC:

Tam's Team- I will need a First Aid Test TN 10 to scan with the medical scanner to diagnose the situation. If successful, the patient will need to be injected with an adequate dose of Chloromydride. The injection will require a First Aid Test TN 15. With these tests done, the individual can be moved to Sickbay for further tests and aid.

Chris feel free to elaborate on what the patient has wrong and what Tam discovers and helps with.

Ramos' Team- I need a Sys Ops (Sensor) test TN 15 to scan the broken line and isolate the leak(s). You will get a +5 bonus for using the tricorder. Once the line is isolated, you can shut down the nitrogen flow. To repair the station will require an Extended Repair Test TN 50. Each test performed will need to achieve a TN 10 or higher and will be 30 minutes. Time will be reduced by DOS. A failed test will not be added to the cumulative total though the time will have been spent. There will be no adverse conditions from the Life Support Station being offline for the hour or so that it will be.

Matt feel free to elaborate in your post.

I may add more here... I am not sure, but go ahead with what I have so far. ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat

Ramos' Team- I need a Sys Ops (Sensor) test TN 15 to scan the broken line and isolate the leak(s). You will get a +5 bonus for using the tricorder. Once the line is isolated, you can shut down the nitrogen flow. To repair the station will require an Extended Repair Test TN 50. Each test performed will need to achieve a TN 10 or higher and will be 30 minutes. Time will be reduced by DOS. A failed test will not be added to the cumulative total though the time will have been spent. There will be no adverse conditions from the Life Support Station being offline for the hour or so that it will be.

:arrow: Sys Ops (Sensor) +10, Tricorder +5
Roll(2d6)+15:1,4,+15 Total:20

OOC: How do you want me to handle the extended test? Which skill (Repair or Engineering) - are there any affinity/tech bonuses, and does the team have anything to bring to the table?

Flipping open his tricorder, Ramos scanned the line and quickly isolated the leak. He instructed Sovak and Shimoda to shut it down while Williams prepared his equipment to seal it.

Ramos walked over to Dr. Tam and looked at his patient with sympathy.
"Doctor, as soon as you feel it's safe to move your patients, it would be best if you did so. While our repairs should be rather straightforward, there's always the risk of complications."

He smiled at the wounded young man once more.
"You're in good hands now."

He patted Tam gently on the shoulder and headed back to work.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Edrahil / Tam

Quote from: tomcatTam's Team- I will need a First Aid Test TN 10 to scan with the medical scanner to diagnose the situation. If successful, the patient will need to be injected with an adequate dose of Chloromydride. The injection will require a First Aid Test TN 15. With these tests done, the individual can be moved to Sickbay for further tests and aid.

Chris feel free to elaborate on what the patient has wrong and what Tam discovers and helps with.

[First Aid: 2,3+6=11 vs TN 10 - Success]

Tam pulls out his medical scanner and starts attending to the injured crewman. "I'll need 3cc's of Chrolomydride, mixed with 6cc's of Coradrenaline," he mutters out loud, as he sets the hypospray to deliver the correct dosages
[OOC: Coradrenaline halves all damage from frostbite and hypothermia, according to the Starfleet Ops Manual]

[First Aid: 5,4+6=15 vs TN 15 - Success]

After treating that patient, he quickly looks at the other crew member, to see if he has any conditions that need treating. Finding nothing he turns to his nurse. "Prepare the stretcher, lets get this man back to sick bay," he says, referring to the back-board that the nurse carried with him. He asks his nurse and the unwounded crewmember to carry the stretcher back to the sickbay so that he could keep an eye on the status of the patient. It's a short walk that the patient probably could have made himself, but better safe than sorry.

tomcat

Quote from: sdrotarOOC: How do you want me to handle the extended test? Which skill (Repair or Engineering) - are there any affinity/tech bonuses, and does the team have anything to bring to the table?

:arrow: OOC: It is a Repair Test Shawn and it depends on who is doing the work. If your teams are doing the work they will perform at 1/2 your Repair Skill with an Affinity of +1 for the team and +2 from you (if you stay present)...

If you do the work, it will be your normal skill level and a +1 affinity from the team.

For both Ramos and Tam, the troubles in Life Support were not major challenges - both the doctor and the engineer were well-skilled, as were their subordinates. The two groups took care of their charges quickly and efficiently.

The wounded young ensign blinked as he entered the white, bright sickbay. His hand had been screaming with pain until Tam had delivered the hypo injection. Now he could not feel it at all, which suited the young crewman just fine. Still, Tam looked at the 'burnt' appendage with a bit of grave concern. The hand had not been immersed in the liquid gas but had been caught in the freezing steam that it had generated. It had almost resulted in removing the outer layer of skin. The crewman would be out of work for a few days, perhaps weeks.

Ramos and his teams were also busy with their patient - the line's leaks had been isolated and now the tools were being applied to repair the cracks.

The ship jostled a little bit causing Ramos to pause and listen. He would be happy when this interstellar gas ball was behind them.

It was on the bridge that things became exciting. Stonn had been scanning the regions around the ship to the best of his abilities. Unfortunately, the nebula had a bad way of dampering the sensors abilities, which in turn restricted the vulcans skills at 'seeing' what was out there.

Then it appeared, the large mass was off to the port side of the ship. The problem was that Stonn could not get an exact reading on its make-up, size, or exact position. Was it a rock in space? Or maybe just a dense cloud of dilithium hydroxyls.

Stonn knew that his ultimate challenge within the Paulson was going to be the echoes or sensor 'ghosts'. He would be busy for the next few days (hopefully not weeks) trying to discern objects outside the ship. The Paulson had been reported to echo its contents by the density of the gases. It seems solid matter would literally leave an imprint as they would drift throughout the nebula and sometimes these imprints would last. Sensors scanning the area would pick up denser patches of the gases around areas of space that were left vacant by the passing matter as if they still were bieng roiled by the object. Unfortunately sensors became very handicapped and thus would take some time to realize that they were scanning nothing but empty space. Early sub-mariners on Earth had called things like this a "knuckle".

Stonn made note to himself to bring all of his staff up to speed with the nebulas quirky traits.

Across the bridge, Jess held her hand to her ear, the fuzz of static was all she heard emanating from the great cloud. She had to be very careful of the great static discharges that arced through the Paulson - one could literally blow out her eardrum.

Pushkin was also having a challenging time trying to maintain course. Not because there were problems with his controls, it was just the the navigation systems were having difficulty plotting their position in regards to the many stellar bodies out there. He stared out the view screen hoping that the XO was sure there was nothing in front of him!

:arrow: OOC: Stonn is going to need to make a TN 24 Sys Ops Sensor test to discern the position, makeup and size of the object.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"When space couldn't get any weirder..." Darkan mutters.  "What've you got there, Mr. Stonn?"

OOC: Is this mass keeping pace with the ship or stationary?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorgOOC: Is this mass keeping pace with the ship or stationary?

Shawn can give the following information from Stonn if he makes his TN 22 test:

The object is stationary and in front of the vessel on the port side. It lies on the X-axis at 120º, under the Y-plane (on the Y-plane at 310º). The distance to it is about 2.5 Million Kilometers on the Z-Axis.

Note: if you need help with my geometries, you can check the link on the control panel for Systems.

Also, so that everyone knows... I am using the LCARS skin while we play this game. Keeps me in the right game mode.  :wink:

sdrotar

OOC: My apologies, everyone - I have been swamped lately, and I haven't had much time to post here. I'm sorry I've been holding up the game. :oops:

:arrow: Extended Repair Test (TN 50)
Repair +8, Team +1 = +9
Roll 1 (0:15 elapsed): Roll(2d6)+9:3,6,+9 Total:18 ( 18 )
Roll 2 (0:30 elapsed): Roll(2d6)+9:6,5,+9 Total:20 ( 38 )
Roll 3 (0:53 elapsed): Roll(2d6)+9:4,2,+9 Total:15 ( 53 )

I edited the time elapse to show the effects of the DOS reducing time.

The work was routine, but Ramos and his team finished the repairs rather quickly. The leak was sealed, and posed no further risk.

Juan thumbed the intercom on the nearest wall. "Ramos to bridge. The line's good as new - no complications. You may restore full life support to Deck 7 at any time. We're on our way back to Engineering. Ramos out."

On the way back, Ramos and his team stopped by Sickbay to check in on the injured officers. While Juan knew it wasn't his fault, he always felt at least partially responsible when something went wrong on the ship that injured anyone. Fortunately, Tam seemed to have the situation under control, and Ramos, Williams, Sovak and Shimoda headed back to Engineering, hoping nothing else needed their immediate attention this day.

:arrow: Sys Ops (Sensors) test (TN 22)
Sys Ops (Sensors) +11
Roll(2d6)+11:1,1,+11 Total:13 -2*= 11 - DISASTROUS FAILURE
OOC: D'oh!

*This is the 1d6 roll result using the Double Ones house rule.

Stonn shook his head - to Darkan, it looked as if the Vulcan was frustrated - but "of course that couldn't be, right?"
Despite the gravity of the situation, Darkan couldn't help but smile inwardly...

The Vulcan never turned towards the captain, speaking as he fiddled with the panel in a vain attempt to wrest something useful from the sensors.
"Captain, I cannot ascertain anything about this object other than the fact that it exists. The nebula is making scanning extremely difficult. I will continue to search for further information."

"Yup," thought Darkan, "he's frustrated."

GandalfOfBorg

"Good work, Ramos.  Bridge out."

Returning to the new quandry in front, rather, beside them, Darkan speaks up.  "Well our primary mandate is, of course, exploration... so let's go see what this is.  We've got a little time.  Helm, take us to AU of the object unless Mr. Stonn feels otherwise."

To Stonn, "This is your area of expertise, my friend.  I want to check on the injured crewmen while I have a chance.  You have the bridge."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:arrow: OOC: Due to the Disastrous Failure, I am requiring a System Reliabilty test on the Sensors.

Sensors Reliability Test TN 13
System +6, Disastrous Failure Penalty -2

Roll(2d6)+4: 3,3,+4 Total:10 FAILED

Stonn pressed a few buttons on his console to narrow the bandwidth of the EM energy that emanated from the forward sensor array. His goal was to penetrate the gas 'bubble' to see if there was matter in their way - stone or metal or something else. At the speed that they traveled, there was just over ten minutes to make any course changes.

What Stonn did not expect was the sudden discharge of tachyon particles that emanated from a distant arc of static. The EM waves acted like an antenna drawing the high-energy particles into their stream and the accelerated particles coursed in both directions - towards the unknown bulge in the far off distance and back towards the Columbia.

The Columbia's sensor array was designed to both send and receive energies and the ship's computers monitored the amounts of energy so that there would be no overloads. Unfortunately, when Stonn changed his bandwidth, he did not increase the dampers on the ship's system. The computer worked in speeds of millionths of a second - the particles were faster.

The tachyons impacted the ship's array and flared through the sensors circuitry while the computer manically attempted to compensate. Its efforts were futile and the energy caused the circuit breakers to open, effectively shutting down the system. Because the computer could not compensate quick enough, it shut down all sensor systems. In mere seconds, the Columbia went blind.

To witness the impact of the tachyon particles was very unimpressive... there was a spark and a pop on deck 11, but on the bridge, Stonn's consoles simply went dark.

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg"Good work, Ramos.  Bridge out."

Returning to the new quandry in front, rather, beside them, Darkan speaks up.  "Well our primary mandate is, of course, exploration... so let's go see what this is.  We've got a little time.  Helm, take us to AU of the object unless Mr. Stonn feels otherwise."

To Stonn, "This is your area of expertise, my friend.  I want to check on the injured crewmen while I have a chance.  You have the bridge."

Hey Matt,

A couple of questions:

What is "AU" of the object? Astronomical Unit = ~93 million miles. Okay, I have my answer here. Only thing is, the ship is about 2.5 million miles to the anomaly. What do you wish to do?

Does Darkan leave before or after the sensor failure?

sdrotar

OOC: Depending on when Darkan left the bridge, Stonn will either recommend (if he's still around when the sensors go down) or order (if he left by then) that the ship come to an immediate full stop.
Flying blind is bad enough - doing it in a nebula with a large unknown mass nearby is crazy.

Sorry about that lousy roll, guys... :oops:

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Oops my bad, I read the current distance incorrectly... bad habit of mine Im afraid.  Substitute the helm command for an all-stop.  Travelling at warp with things popping up that close inside a nebula could get dangerous ;)

As for Darkan leaving the bridge, that'd depend on how long it took Stonn to perform the action to burn out the sensors.  If it was fast, my guess would be he could catch the captain before entering the turbolift.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:arrow: OOC: I am going to make a Narrator decision here... Darkan did leave the bridge before Stonn had the problem with the sensors, but after Ramos completed his work. I need you guys to remember the time frames that the game is happening - Ramos spent almost an hour repairing the liquid nitrogen line. Just keep that stuff in mind when you are making your posts.

Maybe we can manage this by holding off on any dialogue or narrative for a particular character while he is in the process of an extended test. So as an example Shawn, you can roll the extended tests out so I have a time frame that Ramos would be involved with the task but do not give nay dialogue on him until I announce that the time has passed. In other words, don't post the stuff about him calling the bridge and giving the A-okay until I tell you he is freed up. Make sense?

We will leave it as is and just play it as stated above... the Columbia is now almost an hour into the nebula, the line is fixed and Darkan is on his way down to the Sickbay. While in the elevator, Stonn has his mishap. Here we go...

The turbolift made its high whirring sound and the lights flashed as it descended to Deck 7. Darkan wanted to check on his wounded crewmen and also see the extent of the damage, though Ramos and his team had already taken care of it. He could feel it before he stepped out of the lift... the ship was slowing. The call overhead confirmed what he felt.

"Captain to the bridge. Ramos to the bridge."

Stonn's voice was calm over the intercomm as the ship came to a halt. With the sensors out, they could not proceed further into the nebula. But though the ship's 'eyes' were out, her ears were still functioning... in a manner.

Townshend was bent over her console, her hand to her ear trying to block out the excited noise of the bridge around her. The sounds she heard were common noise that emanated from celestial bodies but... there it was again! It was very faint, but it was definitely a signal - a repeating signal, like a beacon or transmitter.

"Mr. Stonn, I have something!" yelled out the young Communications officer.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat
Townshend was bent over her console, her hand to her ear trying to block out the excited noise of the bridge around her. The sounds she heard were common noise that emanated from celestial bodies but... there it was again! It was very faint, but it was definitely a signal - a repeating signal, like a beacon or transmitter.

"Mr. Stonn, I have something!" yelled out the young Communications officer.

Stonn turned away from his now-dimmed sensor panel to look at Townshend with a penetrating gaze.

"Something? More detail is necessary, Lieutenant. Please explain."

Something in Townshend's eyes told Stonn that she was surprised by his request. As for himself, he thought it odd that the young woman would think "something" was an appropriate description, but then again, Humans and Vulcans often differed on what they felt was appropriate...

tomcat

Quote from: sdrotar"Something? More detail is necessary, Lieutenant. Please explain."

"I apologize, sir." Corrected, Townshend continues, "I am picking up a signal that I believe is coming from a transmitter. It is garbled but the ship's computer is in agreement - it is definitely not space noise."

Unfortunately without the ship's sensors, there was no way to determine if there was something out there - the ship's computer only had the data from the last sensor feed.

"I am trying to run it through the Universal Translator, but there is too much interference."