• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 02:32 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 3: River Cross

Started by tomcat, Sep 24, 2008, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut

The Elf gazed across the camp and sees two distinct set of tracks leading away from the campsite in different directions.

"Master Gumbo. I ask for your advice. Your expertise in regard to tactical matters is obviously greater than mine. What do you suggest we do? My heart longs to warn our companions about what we have found here. What shall be our course of action: return to our friends or even stay here at the campsite and wait for them? Or shall we choose one track an follow those attackers? I would not want to split up, you going one way, me the other. I have a strange feeling that we should not separete right now."

With these words, and waiting for a reply, Caranmir starts looking more closely around the campsite, to see if there is anything more to be found out from the remains of the camp.

Roborob

Oct 26, 2008, 09:15 AM #31 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2008, 09:31 AM by tomcat
    Bornoge hacked at the plants with his blade, clearing the way for the wagon and ponies several yards behind him and following the trail markers that Gumbo had left. Every once in a while had to use his stick to help lever the wagon out of some hole or muck, but they were still going to slow for him.

"Well Kori, do you think we could speed up a bit? I hate to think that they could be in danger with us so far behind them. I don't doubt their courage, but they both seem a bit erm... light to be able to stand long in a fight. I have never seen one of Gumbo's kind before, yet from just being with him I can tell that he carries himself like a man as large as I, it seems there is more to meet the eye with these folk i guess. I just hope its as good in a fight."

Telcontar

Gumbo looked at the camp and the direction of travel. "Well we know the way they went, but that is about all. We have no reason to believe that they know we are behind them, and they didnt know about the boy either. There are few dwellings around here, and traffic even less so I doubt they are raiding. Its possible that they are on some errand for their dark masters and will trouble us no more. Let's try and figure out their number by the campsite. The wagon will have slow going through this area. If they continue on their course they may stay 12 hours ahead of us and unaware we follow behind. I share your concern though. We should not divide the group, but much of the day remains and we must keep going."

Gumbo looked around. "I dont think this changes our basic plan; Scout ahead, avoid ambush. We have only to be aware that we dont stop ourselves to close to their camp before they begin to move at night."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Oct 28, 2008, 08:49 AM #33 Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008, 09:07 AM by tomcat
And so the day passed.

With the sun going down, the wagon that had followed all of the duo's markers finally rolled up to a small area that Gumbo and Caranmîr had found, and prepared as a camp. No fire burned, but the ground was cleared for blankets.

The Company members who had stayed with the wagon were weary to the bone. Finding the path through the fens had been an awful task and all were relieved when the ground began to firm up. But now, they were back together and sleep beckoned. Due to the success of the day's efforts, it was decided that the next day would be treated the same. The young boy spoke happily of the fact that with the next day's march, the Company should arrive to where his people resided on the river and there was a ferry barge that would aid in the crossing.

Gumbo and Caranmîr both settled in first so that they might rise early to begin another trek.

The sun rose bright and the skies were clear when Turumarth stowed the last bit of gear on the wagon. The Hobbit and Elf had already been gone for a few hours, finding a path that would get them safely to the crossing.

The open plain on the east side of the Anduin was covered in a  knee-high (at times, waist high) grass. It was waiting for spring rains and warmth to revitalize it, but still was thick enough to make seeing difficult at long distance. Because of this, the men and dwarves kept a close eye towards the east.

The sun arced over them towards the mountains and it was when the shadows of the huge, western peaks were stretching over that they heard the howl.

Gumbo and Caranmîr had already arrived. The eastside of the river where the ferry would land was evident. They could plainly see the thick, heavy rope that the northmen had strung across the river to secure their raft as it crossed back and forth. The two companions were sitting and waiting for their friends when they too heard a cry of a wolf.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Gumbo jumped up at the sound of the wolf and looked around. "A fell noise to hear during the daylight hours! Prey it is not a Warg. We may need to return to the wagon, but I would hate to see the landing held against us on our return."

Gumbo looked at the surrounding area and thought about where the attack might come from if it came. "I have an idea Caranmir. Among my kit I have oil, pittons, and rope. This grass is very dry this time of year and should burn easily, it may also signal the Woodmen who are no doubt looking for their two lost kinsmen.  We can use the oil to set fire to the grass downwind of us to block that side and on the other stake a rope down as high as we can with the pitons and perhaps unhorse any warg riders who think they can ride us down. If only we had a horn, one of those great dwarven horns and our enemies would tremble before us!"

Gumbo then looked at the rope and then at the elf. "If the ferry is not here it stands to reason that it is on the other side. Your folk are fleet of foot, do you think you can cross on the rope alone? We can rig up a sliding life line that will keep you attached. If we can alert the woodmen our foes will not reckon on that I'll wager and if it is just a wolf the loss of some rope, oil is a fair exchange for a waiting ferry when the wagon arrives."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Oct 29, 2008, 03:00 PM #35 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008, 06:13 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] I want to get a few more posts from folks before I move it on too far.

Kori's eyes squinted in concern. He pursed his lips in thought as he looked east at the grasslands that seemed to have no end. The wolf, or warg, was close and the sun was almost behind the mountains. It would not be truly dark, but certainly allow for any goblins to be roaming comfortably about.

"Turumarth," he called. "Can your arcane powers sense where that beast might be... and how many there are?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

The hackles raised on the neck of Nori as he looked about for the source of the sound that chilled him.  In no time, he was armed and ready for action, whatever the threat may be.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

donimator

Quote from: tomcat on Oct 29, 2008, 03:00 PM
"Turumarth," he called. "Can your arcane powers sense where that beast might be... and how many there are?"
Turumarth paused a moment, the solemn cry still hanging on the air.
"I can try. I can only sense those who possess the Power of the Wise or that of the Shadow. Hopefully our threat is more mundane...and yet this whole land radiates a strong evil that seems to block others out."

Without another word, Turumarth firmly plants his staff and intones the intricate words of the spell. The rush of power fills him once more, his senses heighten. He reaches out to feel for any source of ill around them.

Turumarth casts Sense Power TN 5
Willpower test, Wil +5, amulet +2 = +7
2d6+7, 2,1 +7 = 10 Complete success

Turumarth makes Observe (Sense Power) test ... TN ?
Observe +5, Specialty +2, Spell +3 = +10
2d6+10 = 4,1 +10 = 15

Roborob

Oct 30, 2008, 01:13 PM #38 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2008, 01:14 PM by Roborob
Bornoge glanced around for the wolf that made the noise, "We have to stop, stick close to the wagon lest they creep up and steal it if we fight! And you, boy! get underneath the wagon and don't make a sound." Bornoge opens his flask of hunter's poison and smears it on the tip of two of his javelins then climbs up on the top of the wagon, javelin in hand, seeing if he could spot something in the twilight.

Observe spot test
Roll(2d6)+6:
4,1,+6 observe, +2 spot specialty +/- a height bonus or a darkness penalty (up to you Tomcat)
Total:13

Cut

Caranmîr takes an arrow from his quiver and readies it.

sdrotar

OOC: At the risk of sounding like a moron, I've sort of lost track of where Vari is in this thread. My understanding is that he didn't leave with the wagon... Tomcat, is that right?
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Nov 05, 2008, 07:20 PM #41 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008, 07:50 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Is Caranmîr going to take Gumbo's idea and cross the river via the rope? Let me know.

Shawn, Vári is with the wagon.

Turumarth shook his head in frustration, for although he felt a faint presence emanating from the far-off southern region of the Mirkwood Forest, he could sense no immediate threat. The Company's ears, though, were telling them all differently.

Bornoge stood tall on his tip toes and looked out in the direction from where the baleful cry had come. The failing light did not help their situation, but the man's eyes were keen. He could not get a count but he clearly saw a group of man-like figures approaching.

Not so far away, Gumbo and Caranmîr readied themselves for an attack that might come their way, both wondering how their friends fared.

[OOC:] Tomorrow I am going to open up the combat round 1 thread, but feel free to use this thread to give me anymore insight as to what your characters want to do. If Gumbo and Caranmîr want to get back to the main group, it will take them at least 5 rounds to get into the action if they leave the riverside now. Likewise, if the other group want to race to the river, it will be a contest of speed to see if the orcs can reach you first.

Telcontar

OOc: I am going with the flaming grass plan and prepare a hasty defense. with a little luck the woodmen will come and the wagon will make it here.

Gumbo was very uneasy, "The time for action is at hand Caranmir." Gumbo planted his spear and set to work on his defenses.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Cut

Nov 06, 2008, 12:20 AM #43 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2008, 12:25 AM by Cut
Caranmir had considered the Hobbit's plan for a while and nodded.

"I see the merrit in your plan, however I am not sure that I can cross the river on a rope alone. But we shall never know until we try. Having the ferry ready is a good thing to have and well worth the trouble I guess." he said a bit grimly.

Then smiling he gestured towards Gumbo to bring out the rope.

"Let us just make sure, that we make the knots on my lifeline well and good."

GandalfOfBorg

Nori grits his teeth, annoyed that he cannot see much.  "Where are you filthy blackguards?"  The Demon's Fang was restless in his hands.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16