• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 04:12 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Switchback encounter - round 2

Started by tomcat, Aug 20, 2008, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Aug 20, 2008, 06:52 PM Last Edit: Aug 23, 2008, 09:15 PM by tomcat
Situation: The Company is attacked by a pack of mewlips (ghouls)

Situational Modifiers: Mewlips have Terror effect each round - TN 11 for this round.

Caranmîr [Elves do not suffer the effect of Terror from mewlips, though and actual Intimidate (Fear) action must be opposed.]
Turumarth - Passed w/ 15; [auto Resist Fear ability extends a +1 to all characters within 16' of the mage]
Bornoge - Passed w/ 12
Gumbo - Passed w/ 13
Nori - Failed w/ 10; Panicked -2 penalty on ALL tests
Kori - Passed w/ 11
Vári - Passed w/ 12

Creatures are standard hit points and levels.

Physical Modifiers: M1 is Near Death (9) -9, m3 is Healthy (0) -0, M4 is Injured (2) -3

Initiative:
Bornoge - 13
Kori - 11
Turumarth - 11
Caranmîr - 11
Nori - 10
Mewlips - 10
Vari - 9
Gumbo - 8
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

OOC: Can I dodge? or is parry my only option? By the way the avatar cleaned up NICE!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Roborob

Bornoge hurls his javelin with all his strength straight at the nearest ghoul (M4)

Action 1
Ranged attack with javelin
Roll(2d6)+10:
1,6,+10
Total:17 Superior success! (That adds 1 more d6 of Dmg right?)

Damage Roll
Roll(3d6)+6: 
2,3,6,+6
Total:17

"Haha!" Bornoge shouted as the javelin hit his target. "Now for some swordplay" Bornoge thought as he drew his masterwork shortsword.

ACTION 2
Draw shortsword

Cut

Seeing how little damage his arrow did, Caranmîr casts away the bow. Taking Turumarth's action as an example, he himself decides to use some magic.

[OOC: Are the enemies armed with weapons, that I could have them drop with 'Disarm'? or should I use a lightning spell?]

donimator

The drain of Turumarth's casting chills him to the marrow. He grips his staff firmly, but sees how little effect mortal weapons seem to have. A glance left sees the foul creature he struck engaged by the woodsman. Yet, Nori and the banakil were set upon by three. Steeling his nerve, he calls on the power once more...

Turumarth casts Spellbinding, Casting Time: 1, TN 13 (10+3 multiple casting) at Mewlip #3
Willpower Test for Weariness - Wil +5, charm +2 = +7
Roll 2d6+7, 1,5 +7 = 13 Marginal Success
-------------
Opposed Willpower Test vs. Mewlip #3, Will +5
Roll 2d6+5, 6,2 +5 = 13

Additional actions - concentrate on maintaing hold if successful.

tomcat

Aug 21, 2008, 02:45 AM #5 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2008, 02:48 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Telcontar on Aug 20, 2008, 08:19 PM
OOC: Can I dodge? or is parry my only option? By the way the avatar cleaned up NICE!

Quote from: Cut on Aug 21, 2008, 12:12 AM[OOC: Are the enemies armed with weapons, that I could have them drop with 'Disarm'? or should I use a lightning spell?]

[OOC:] Hey Tom, you can perform either action, but please post it in Round 1, as that is the round it applies and it will be subject to Multiple Action Penalties (unless you have Swift Strike 2). And you are welcome on the avatar! Glad I didn't cut it too short for your liking.  ;D

Nico, the mewlips carry no weapons - just nasty looking clawed fingers and sharp teeth. Sorry. Lightning would definitely give the mewlip some problems though.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Cut

Seeing that none of the mewlips is carrying any weapons that he might force them to drop, as he had done during the encounter with the Troll, Caranmîr prepares to cast the mightest spell at his disposal.

The Elf steps beside the Mage and starts the working of his spell, uttering words of power in a low tone. He sees two of his friends fighting superior numbers and decides to help them.

[He aims for the mewlip #2. The TN for the spell is 12. Caranmîr gets 2d6 +2 to succeed, and is willing to make this spell work, by spending courage points if neccesarry.

Roll(2d6)+2:
4,6,+2
Total:12]

Cut

[Forgot to deal the actual damage... 4d6!]

From the fingertips of the Elf, thin lightnings strike forward covering the distance to the mewlip easily and engulfing him in a magical electrical storm.

[Damage 4d6 -->
Roll(4d6)+0:
4,5,5,6,+0
Total:20

The amount of damage might be halved, if Mewlip manages a TN 15 swiftness test.]

Telcontar

Gumbo was heartened by the effect his earlier words seemed to have upon his comrades. At last they were begining to fight like a team, perhaps they may make it out of Moria after alive after all...
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

sdrotar

OOC: I was late to the party for Round 1. If it's too late to incorporate my actions, that's understandable - we'll just say Vári was spooked for a moment and froze. Doug, please let me know either way and I'll post Round 2 actions ASAP today.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Aug 23, 2008, 09:38 PM #10 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2008, 06:07 AM by tomcat
The attacking mewlips had made it to their prey, but they were finding that these were no easy catch... this prey had teeth. Bornoge's javelin struck true, and it was a mighty blow indeed against the undead creature. Seeing it stagger back enheartened the man, while around him, magic flared from the Loremaster and Mage.

One of the mewlips attacking Nori became rigid, and unable to move, fell to the gorund. Its partner was not lucky either as blue lightning flared through the early dusk and smote the next mewlip.

Behind all, Kori sat atop the wagon and hushed the panicked ponies so they would not bolt and drag the wagon off the road, potentially damaging it.

Mewlip #4 attempts to dodge Bornoge's attack:
TN 17 Swiftness +3, Injured -3
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+0: 1,1,+0 Total:2 -6-1 = -5 FAILURE [Damage from the attack is maxed due to DOS: 30 /2 =15 Wounded (4) -5]

Mewlip #3 attempts to oppose Turumarth:
TN 13 Willpower +1
Roll(2d6)+1: 5,1,+1 Total:7 FAILED [Paralyzed]

Mewlip #2 attempts to Dodge Caranmîr's spell:
TN 15 Swiftness +3
Roll(2d6)+3: 3,2,+3 Total:8 FAILED [20 damage, Injured (7) -3]

NOTE: Shawn did something that I forgot to let you all know earlier... at the end of each of your posts in a combat round, give me your next round initiative. That way I do not need to make that roll for you and we can move quickly into the next round. Thanks!

Also, if you are wondering what my code is on the current status of the enemies, it is their Wound Level (how many hit points are left in that particular level) and the penalty they are suffering from the wound.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Sorry about that, I just realized I forgot to do that as I was reviewing my posts.
Init - Roll(2d6)+0: 5,6,+2 Total:13
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Roborob

init- Roll(2d6)+5:
6,5,+5
Total:16

sdrotar

Aug 24, 2008, 09:14 PM #13 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2008, 09:16 PM by sdrotar
The rush of adrenaline that always accompanied combat heartened Vári, who saw the these creatures could still be harmed by axe and spear. Gritting his teeth, the stout Dwarf pulled the leather-wrapped handle of his axe back, pivoted at his hips and stepped into a mighty blow.

Vári's AC (Axe) skill+mods = +14

ACTION 1: Attack Mewlip #3.
Roll(2d6)+14:4,6,+14 Total:24  OOC: Block that one, zombie boy!  >:D
Damage if successful: Roll(2d6)+10: 1,5,+10 Total:16

ACTION 2: Attack Mewlip #3 or engage #2 if #3 is down for the count.
Roll(2d6)+14:6,2,+14 Total:22
Damage if successful: Roll(2d6)+10:3,4,+10 Total:17

Now enraged in the heat of battle, Vári roared a battle cry as he heaved his double-bladed axe above his head and then brought it crashing down with fearsome intent.

ACTION 3 (via Swift Strike Edge): Attack closest "living" mewlip.
Roll(2d6)+14:5,5,+14 Total:24
Damage if successful: Roll(2d6)+10: 2,2,+10 Total:14

Next Round Initiative: Roll(2d6)+2:4,4,+2 Total:10
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Cut

Next round initiative roll 2d6 (where are those '+2' from that you guys use?)

Roll(2d6)+0:
3,6,+0
Total:9 (if that +2 applies to Caranmîr as well, Initiative is even 11 *g*)