• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 10:07 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Switchback encounter - round 1

Started by tomcat, Aug 12, 2008, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Aug 12, 2008, 08:12 PM Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 06:25 PM by tomcat
The companions were startled, but none were caught flat-footed as shapes suddenly appeared at the top of the steep embankment. Their flesh was greyish-blue of color, that of death, and none wore much clothing, if any at all. Two leapt from the heights down towards Gumbo and Bornoge, the others scrambling down the main road like a pack of wild, rabid dogs scurrying to get a plate.

An awful fear rose in the belly of each of the party as they realized that the creatures they faced had white, lifeless eyes and nasty, sharp remnants of teeth - all blackened from rot and foul food.

Turmarth and Caranmîr knew them at once - mewlips... ghouls. Terrible spirits that were bound to the bodies of dead men. Little intelligence crossed their faces, only the awful look of an animal wanting to feast!

[OOC:] Okay, first of all I want to explain that I give all my undead creatures the special ability Terror. I think by nature, any undead creature would be horrific when encountered. So, I will need you all to resist the Fear, and also give me initiatives (unless we want to consider initiative a mundane roll that you guys want me to roll for you). I will also be posting, tomorrow, the situational mods and any other info you need to conduct these rounds of combat.

But first, the Terror roll you need to oppose with a Willpower test:

Terror
TN n/a Intimidate (Fear) +3, Specialty +2, Number mod +2 / 2= +4
-------------------------
Roll(2d6)+4: 2,5,+4 Total:11

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

OOC: I see both the rolls as mundane since  no one can go until everyone makes the requested rolls.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Cut

Aug 13, 2008, 12:18 AM #2 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 05:35 PM by tomcat
[OOC: I see it much the same way, as Telcontar, but will give you my Willpower test here. Initiative is surely something, you should just roll for us, if you're okay with the trouble ;)

On another note, is Caranmîr as an Elf actually endagered to "fear", or does the "Ghostly Scorn" ability not apply to undead as well? Just a question]

WP test TN 11: 2d6+2

Roll(2d6)+2:
1,1,+2
Total:4 -2 = 2 GM Note: there is a double 1's house rule that you can read in that thread.

[Once more a complete catastrophy. Might wanna ask Doug, if he could do all my rolls...]

Caranmîr had expected a lot of possibilities of what might have lurked in that pass. Never had the Elf confronted an undead creature. He had read about them in the libraries of his mentors, but he had hoped never to encounter one. He could not imagine what his reactions to something as unnatural as an undead would be.

Now, as he faced them beside his companions, he had his answer. He was grapped by a fear, as unnatural as the monsters themselves, and froze. He leaned heavily on the quarterstaff he had in hand, seemingly unable to move or defend himself, the staff was no more a weapon in his hands, but a tool that helped the Elf to remain standing upright.

[OOC: While Caranmîr is startled he tries to come up with something to stop the onslaught. Is it already dark? Maybe a spell of Create Light would inspire fear in the Ghuls... ]

donimator

{OOC} Note that Turumarth has made his Resist Fear spell an innate ability through extra spell picks. Per tomcat's ruling it provides a base +1 bonus to companion's Fear checks when within 2' per point of Bearing (16'). It is stronger when 'activated', but I believe the +1 bonus will apply to anyone near Turumarth.

Foulness indeed! Turumarth's skin tingles as he fights to remain calm in the face of the approaching horrors. With a deep breath and a firmer grasp on his staff he struggles to take in the whole scene while his mind fights his urge to run. "I will stand fast!"
------------------
Willpower test vs. TN 11
Willpower +5, Resist Fear +1 = +6
Roll 2d6 +6 = 5,3 +6 = 14 success

{OOC} edit: I'm fine with you rolling init, Doug.

Roborob

As soon as he saw the figure leap out Bornoge's hand went straight to his sword. But as he saw the creature better his hand stopped....

Willpower test
Roll(2d6)+2:
2,4,+2
Total:8

...and rested on the sword, fear paralyzing him.

Telcontar

Roll(2d6)+2:
3,5,+2
Total:10
If Gumbo is within turumarth's range he passed. If not I'll spend a courage point so as to not soil my drawers.

Gumbo saw the creatures as he prepared to flush out the ambush. He was not prepared for this, but while the color flushed out of his cheeks he grimly gripped his spear and prepared to engage this new foe.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Aug 14, 2008, 07:25 AM #6 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008, 07:41 AM by GandalfOfBorg
TN 11 Willpower - Roll(2d6)+2: 6,1,+2 Total:9 + 3 Courage = 12

Nori leaps to his feet, axe in hand as it is never far from his reach.  "Foul demons, my blade shall end your slavering thirst!" and he charges down the nearest ghoul.

EDIT:
Charge, AC: Axes (Battle-axe) - Roll(2d6)+12: 4,3,+12 Total:19 +2 charge bonus = 21
Damage: Roll(3d6)+6: 3,6,4,+6 Total:19 * 1.5 = 28.5 or 28
Strength TN for knock-down = base +2 = 11+2=13
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Aug 14, 2008, 02:32 PM #7 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008, 09:28 PM by sdrotar
Terror Test (TN 11), Vári Willpower +0
Roll(2d6)+0:5,2,+0 Total:7 - FAIL

Vári froze at the sight of the clattering undead; he had never seen such foul things before and an icy grip took hold near his heart. Though he clutched his axe, he held it fast to his chest as if it could somehow protect him and he struggled to keep from closing his eyes in fear.

Initiative (not including Fear penalty):
Roll(2d6)+2:6,3,+2 Total:11
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

[OOC:] I am digging everyone's responses here based on your test results, but remember, a Failure does not mean complete panic. It comes down to the DOS (or failure in this matter) as to how your PC reacts. I have posted the Fear charts below so that you all will be able to compare your rolls and take any applicable Fear penalty if failed. When you look at the chart, the ghouls' roll is considered the attacker, so the level of DOS is based on that.

Also, I will have the situational modifiers up in the AM along with initiative and attack rolls.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Aug 15, 2008, 06:23 PM #9 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 09:22 PM by tomcat
Situation: The Company is attacked by a pack of mewlips (ghouls)

Situational Modifiers: Mewlips have Terror effect each round.

Caranmîr [Elves do not suffer the effect of Terror from mewlips, though and actual Intimidate (Fear) action must be opposed. Good thing with that bad roll there Nico!  ;) ]
Turumarth - Passed [auto Resist Fear ability extends a +1 to all characters within 16' of the mage]
Bornoge - Failed with a 9; Panicked -2 penalty on ALL tests
Gumbo - Passed with an 11
Nori - Passed with a 12 (courage has been marked off)
Kori - Failed with a 9; Panicked -2 penalty on ALL tests
Vári - Failed with a 8; Panicked -2 penalty on ALL tests

Creatures are standard hit points and levels.

Physical Modifiers: None

Initiative:
Caranmîr - 11
Nori - 10
Gumbo - 9
Bornoge - 9
Vari - 9
Mewlips - 8
Kori - 6
Turumarth - 6

tomcat

Aug 15, 2008, 06:38 PM #10 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008, 11:31 AM by tomcat
Nori charged the mewlip that landed on the ground before Gumbo. The halfling drew back repulsed, but ready to strike when the dwarf bull-rushed into the undead creature.

Mewlip attempts to parry the attack:
TN 21 Armed Combat (Claws) +6, Specialty +2, Ferocity +3
Action 1- Roll(2d6)+11: 2,5,+11 Total:18 FAILED [takes 29 dmg (full damage due to magic nature of weapon), reduced Wounded (8) -5 penalty]

Mewlip Strength test to avoid being knocked prone:
TN 13 Strength +1
Roll(2d6)+1: 4,5,+1 Total:10 FAILED [knocked prone, must spend one action to stand or suffer all penalties]

I'll wait for the init order to go, and then resolve the mewlips responses and Kori's attack. Give me your actions too, Don, and I will just place them in the proper sequence (unless you want to wait for everyone to finish and then go after my mewlip actions; your choice).

Roborob

"I am no coward but I am a hunter of creatures not of these evil spirits!"

Bornoge turns and runs back to the main group and draws one of his javelins.

Cut

Just in time the Elf caught control of his mind and thoughts and shook free of the fright that had befallen him. Seeing some of his comrades freeze in panic, Caranmîr shouts out encoureging words in Silvan language. Calling upon the Light of the Vala.

[OOC: Trying to inspire my comrades here: Inspire test 2d6 +2 coming up as Roll(2d6)+2:
5,6,+2
Total:13 Wow!]

With that he concentrated on the attacking undead. Not sure if a Spell of creating light would stop their approach he thought about something that most likely would: He dropped his Staff, pulled an arrow from his quiver and shot it at the nearest enemy that was closing on them.

2d6 +8 (+2 Nim. + 3 ranks + 3 spec. Short Bow)

Roll(2d6)+8:
3,4,+8
Total:15

[Thanks, Tomcat, for clearing that up. Saved me a bit there, with the snake-eyes...]

Telcontar

Aug 16, 2008, 08:43 PM #13 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008, 08:48 PM by Telcontar
Gumbo saw the Dwarf barrel past him and knock the creature to the ground before him. He doubted any in the party would give him any trouble for taking advantage of this opponent and had at him with his spear.
"May this rest do ye better than the first one you got!"

Roll(2d6)+12:
4,3,+12+1(AC rank pick)
Total:20 (plus for being in an advantageous position...)

DmgRoll(2d6)+3:
4,1,+3
Total:8

OOC: If this does not dispatch the creature Gumbo will attack twice more if required. Let me know Tomcat and I'll roll it out or spend the actions moving if it plays out that way.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Doug, sorry about this... when I rolled my action i didn't have my book to consult the Charge rules... the damage actually done is 1.5 * roll result, so it would be 28 total.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16