• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 04:30 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A troll hole

Started by tomcat, Jul 05, 2008, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Jul 10, 2008, 11:42 AM
Badger attacks Vári:
TN 12 AC +3, Specialty +2, Ferocious +3, Advantageous position +6
-------------------------
Bite Action 1 - Roll(2d6)+14: 4,3,+14 Total:21 [8 damage if not parried]
Claw Action 2 - Roll(2d6)+14: 2,3,+14 Total:19 [3 damage if not parried]
Claw Action 3 [Multiple attacks] - Roll(2d6)+14: 1,5,+14 Total:20 [4 damage if not parried]

Note: I am giving Vári only 2 points of armour for sturdy leather pants, due to the badger being able to attack his legs only, which the chain coat does not cover.

OOC: Sorry - between the MLB All-Star coverage and the E3 expo, I haven't been able to come up for air... my apologies for holding up the game.

Vári AC (Battle Axe) skill plus mods  +14, -5 sight penalty = +9
ACTION 1 - Parry Bite (TN 21): Roll(2d6)+9:5,1,+9 Total:15 - FAIL
ACTION 2 - Parry Claw (TN 19): Roll(2d6)+9:6,4,+9 Total:19 - SUCCEED
ACTION 3 - Parry Claw (TN 20) (via Swift Strike Edge, no action penalty): Roll(2d6)+9: 1,6,+9 Total:16 - FAIL

Vári yelped in mixture of anger and pain as the giant badger struck him, and he cursed his luck.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

[OOC:] I appreciate the rolls Shawn, but you don't have to worry about further combat with it... you guys would kill it once you get the chance to attack. So... as you desire, feel free to carry on the thread in regards to the treasure finds.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Jul 17, 2008, 11:44 AM #17 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2008, 10:52 PM by sdrotar
Vári thought the pendant to be fair, and wished to claim it along with as much of the treasure they had found.
His family had never been particularly wealthy, and he had never seen such coin in his life. He would not care to admit that he desired it.

He struggled with himself for a moment, held the pendant to his neck and cleared his throat. "I wish for this bauble, for the craft-work is pleasing to me," he said. Many other things in the hoard were, as well - and he tried not to focus upon them lest such avarice take him. Perhaps if the others would grant him this token, he could look upon it when he must and put aside his lust for the rest of the treasure... and any to come.

OOC: I gave Vári the Grasping flaw, so I'm trying to portray it here. I need to spend a Courage Point here so he doesn't freak out and try to take off with the horde, as it were.

Telcontar

Gumbo looked at the others around him. "It is not for us to decide here what is to become with the things we have found. It is for the party as a whole to decide."

Gumbo put the things they had removed back into the sacks and began to tie them up. "Come, let us not betray the trust of the others and claim those things which we are partial to for having seen them first. We cant eat the treasure out here in the wild or fight off beasts with it. The faster we bring it back the faster we can continue on our way."

Gumbo had spoken all of these words cheerfully and in a friendly tone, but he watched the others to make sure that all the items were returned. It wasnt that he didnt trust them but looked at it as a test of thier character. Jewools and coin would not get them through the mine or fill their bellys, but it might make there journey easier if they came upon a woodman dwelling as Gumbo hoped.
**********(If we return to camp with no incident)

Gumbo smiled as he entered the camp of the night before. The bags the party carried bulged and the metalic clink of coins could be heard as they fell to the ground and gold coins spilled out into the light of the sun.
"Come Captain, and see what we have found!" After the back slapping and merry making at their change in fortune Gumbo continues, he tried to shose his word so as to not start a ight amongst the party members.
"Captain, we did not expect to come into any kind of wealth prior to entering the mine, but it does us no good to carry it around and weigh us down in our travles. I say we put the coins on the wagon and when the adventure is done and we are back in Long Lake divide the spoils we found here and along the way amongst all the surviving party members. Any of those who would like jewlery can subtract its worth from their share at the end. The items of war proove a bit more difficult, they are of immediate use and probably more worth. Perhaps our lore experts can tell us what the scrolls are."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Roborob

Bornoge reluctantly put the sword back. It was familiar to him in a way nothing had felt in years. "I agree   with the little one."

Back at camp......

"As the one who found the hole, I think that I should choose what I will from the spoils! Gold and jewels mean little to me, but that sword is useful and I want it."

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Jul 18, 2008, 11:05 AM********(If we return to camp with no incident)

[OOC:] Yes, you guys return to the base camp with out incident.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Jul 18, 2008, 01:18 PM #21 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2008, 11:05 PM by sdrotar
Vári nodded at Gumbo's words and gently put the pendant back. Then he went back to binding his wound, his eyes rarely leaving the sack that it went into.

At the camp:

Vári walked with a ever-so-slight limp; the beast had not hurt him badly, but it ached and annoyed him.
He asked gently for the pendant, if the leaders of the company would grant it. "'Tis but a trinket," he said with a twinge of embarrassment, "but it would serve to remind me that the indignity of being bitten by a dumb animal was worth it."

Telcontar

Gumbo waited for the Captain of the Company to speak his mind before he said anything further.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"Well, let's see here this weapon or weapons you speak.  I have worked with and wielded many a fine blade and cudgel in my day and have a keen eye for their worth," says Nori.  "But my appraiser's eye is not fixed solely for weapons only," he adds, eager to look over the rest of the loot as much as the weapon.

Appraise (Weapons) - Roll(2d6)+6: 6,5,+6 Total:17
+2 for Smithcraft: Weaponsmith? for total 19(?)
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Jul 21, 2008, 11:19 AM #24 Last Edit: Jul 21, 2008, 11:22 AM by tomcat
Nori took the weapon from the small pile of treasures that had been brought to the camp and slid it from its sheath. The first thing he saw was the maker's mark and was quite familiar with the guild. It was a Gondorian organization of metal-workers whose work at times made it as far north as Lake Town and the Iron Hills. The guild's mark was there, but Nori could see that this had been a commissioned piece for the craftsman also put his personal seal upon the weapon. Upon turning the balde over, Nori found another piece of information regarding the weapon... its original master's family heraldry was marked. A small shield with what looked to be a sea bird over a crenelated tower, but unfortunately the Dwarf did not know the geneology of said family.

It was balanced and well made - a certain masterwork by the hands of a Gondorian smith - though Nori thought it par to most standard Dwarf works. Still, it would make a handy weapon for any of the company members.

The pendant caught the attention of the Elf. The elegant, natural-form of the piece was quite evidently crafted by the Elves - which house was yet to be determined, but Caranmîr was pretty sure it was not made by his Sylvan kin.

Turumarth took immediate interest in the old scroll cases and carefully picked them up, looking to see if opening them would cause any damage.

The remaining coins were of high value to the company members, but garnered the least interest.

Kori looked to Bornoge and his face took on a distrustful appearance. "You ask our favour in this and seek a small reward for finding a hole, yet it was us who slayed this beast. I say you take this treasure and now be held in my employ until I deem your service as payment in full. What say you?"

[OOC:] Lake Town residents may give me a Lore: Realm (any area that may be close to the Mirkwood forest) or Lore: History (specialy same as before) TN 12

Caranmîr may give me an Appraise test TN 12 to determine the heritage of the pendant (you'll get a +2 bonus due to being an Elf).

An Observe (Sense Power) TN 12 test may be made as well.

Lastly, the shortsword is a masterwork (+2 to AC tests and +1 to damage) and if any are from Gondor or its immediate surrounds, you can give me a Lore: Realm (Nobles) or Lore: History (Nobles) test TN 10.

Roborob

Bornoge thought long on the proposal while looking over the short sword. He knew the sword was important to him somehow, like it connected him with his lost memories. He decided that service to this dwarf, whatever quest he is on, was worth the chance of discovering his past. "Well, since you seem to not be able to pass through Mirkwood without incident  by yourselves. I shall go with you, I hope that will be payment enough." Bornoge laughed a bit to shrug off the seriousness of the matter.

(OOC: I'm trying to tie the sword in with Bornoge's lost background)

donimator

Turumarth clasps the scroll cases, looking for any mark or seal as he carefully rubs away the grime. He pauses a moment, but sees the others interested in other items. A cursory glance over the other things is made to see what catches his eye.

-------
Lore:Realm (Rhovanion) Test, +7 (TN 12)
Die Roll - 2d6+7 --> 2,1 + 7 = 10 (failure)

-------
Observe (Sense Power) Test, +5, +2 Specialty = +7 (TN 12)
Die Roll - 2d6+7 --> 4,4 + 7 = 15 (success)

tomcat

Turmarth can feel that the scrolls, or something within the cases, has a magical aura about it, though there are no other identifying markings on the weathered leather. He carefully unties the leather wraps and then setting them on the ground, unrolls first one, then the other.

The first reveals a series of parchments that are faded and weathered, like the cases that held them; still, they are legible. Unfortunately, except for a large map of the south-eastern area of Mirkwood (with areas marked and named with names that no longer would apply), the other pages are written in a cryptic code that is made up of both elven and common letters and numbers. It could be guessed that it was either a merchant cipher, or one for educated bandits.

The second scroll case - the one that gives off a faint essence of magic - was opened next, albeit with the utmost in caution. Turumarth realized immediately that the case, though weathered, had been laced with magic for within, both the papers and the velvet, sewn-in cloth was still in pristine condition.

The mage also smiled as he saw the sheets of paper that were written in the elegant script of the Sindar... and then looked in wonder as a small item slipped from between the pages. Another necklace of fine quality lay in the Man's hand, its aura glowing for his magic senses to see.

[OOC:] Turumarth, I will need...

a Langauge: Elven (Sindar) TN 15 to read the scrolls.

a Willpower test TN 11 (all magic mods apply)

an Inisght test TN 15

Telcontar

Gumbo did not like th grasping nature of this woodman, which he had yet to hear his name even after the foolish debate over who should give their name first. Gumbo would abide by the decision of the Captain of the Company and spoke no more on the matter. He searched his mind for any information or knowledge he may have pickked up on the remaining items.
Realm: Anduin Vales:Roll(2d6)+3:
3,2,+3 Total:8
Realm: Misty Mountains:Roll(2d6)+3:
5,6,+3 Total:14
Realm Blue Mountains:Roll(2d6)+3:
6,5,+3 Total:14

Gumbo began to load the coins on to the wagon and secured his great dwarven helm back on its usual spot on the wagon. He slung his small shield over his shoulder and with his spear in hand he prepared to head out slightly ahead of the wagon to scout the road ahead for danger as was his habbit. 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

[OOC:] Sorry, Telcontar, it would have been your Anduin Vales test that I needed.