• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:23 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A troll hole

Started by tomcat, Jul 05, 2008, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 05, 2008, 02:06 PM Last Edit: Jul 05, 2008, 02:11 PM by tomcat
Bornoge began to lead the few Company members away that would go to seek Gar's hole, leaving behind Turumarth, Kori, Nori, and Caranmîr to break camp.

"Oy! Remember now," called Kori. "The spoils of the hole are for the Company to split... we all have a stake in this!"

Those leaving heard a coldness in the old craftsman voice, a sound that matched his wild look whenever the mention of treasure came up.

An evident trail weaved into Mirkwood from the Forest Road and Bornoge kept a keen eye to it. The daylight spilled through the leafless branches lighting the way, until at last the path led to a steep drop into a cleft. New fern and other damp moss clung to the bare sandstone rock that led down into the shadows of the crack in the ground. Bornoge pointed to where the cleft ran its distance and then the land itself opened up to a steep drop.

In single file, the Company members sat down at the lip of the cleft and then holding on to each side, eased themselves down into the shadows. It was immediately colder once they were out of the sunlight, and rocks were slick with both ice and the new spring's early moss and algae growth. The sound of metal armour clinked and weapons rattled all the way to the bottom where the ground once more leveled. The companions became aware of an awful stench and all knew that they had found Gar's hole.

Light would be needed to explore further.

Back in the camp, Turumarth and Kori laid the last of the sleeping blankets in the wagon and the cooking gear was stowed. All the while, Nori hitched the ponies to the yoke. The Company leader tilted a cask of water so that it would fill his mug and then took a long pull from it, "Looks like we may have a warm day for a change." He then looked to the keg, "Looks like we are going to need come across a fresh running spring to refill this keg, too."

[OOC:] If there is anyone not included in the troll hole party who wanted to be, let me know.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Roborob

Seeing that light is needed, Bornoge turns to get a fire going for light.

[OOC: I'm doing a survival TN 15, 10 for fire, +5 for inadequatly equipped because he is using just his knife as steel.]

Roll(2d6)+10:
2,3,+10 (+5 survival skill, +2 forest specialty, +2 Per, +1 woodcrafty)
Total:15 Marginal Success

"I think I'm going to go out and start up a makeshift torch. I'll be back in a minute or two and we can get to exploring!" With a hearty laugh, Bornoge started to quickly climb back up the cleft and, using his height to his advantage, was up over the edge before anyone could stop him.

[OOC: due to the marginal success, Tomcat you can decide when he returns, or even if the test was valid.]

Telcontar

Jul 05, 2008, 05:08 PM #2 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2008, 05:12 PM by Telcontar
OOC: Gumbo has Night Eyed II. and I believe Beren has at least Night Eyed I. Looking at the Edge it says that it allows you to see where others can not, but does not specify that it requires some kind of light to do so. aka. Low Light Vision I would imagine that magical darkness has qualities that wouold prevent its working, ie. shadow of the Balrog, but we should be able to see through natural darkness. What's your thought on this Tomcat?

Observe Roll(2d6)+5:
3,6,+5
Total:14

Search Roll(2d6)+4:
6,4,+4
Total:14

(edit: added search and spot rolls if you need those.) 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Cut

Caranmîr is staying breaking up camp.

tomcat

Jul 07, 2008, 01:26 PM #4 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008, 01:30 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Hey Rob - it will take Bornoge about five minutes to start up a fire and to get the torch going. In the meantime, all the others have Night-eyed II which will allow you guys to go in and search the troll hole.

As far as my ruling on Night-eyed, you guys can see in natural darkness - call it low light vision, darkvision, infravision, or whatever - at no penalty, as stated in the book. But that does not mean you guys aren't handicapped by the shadows. Shadowed nooks, or stealthy hideaways will still require search tests and the TN may be higher because of the darkness.

In magical darkness, I will determine if Night-eyed has effect based on the strength of the source of the magic... I'll call it on a situational basis.

With Bornoge gone, the three companions still entered the hole. Each had an acute vision for darkness and were not deterred by the blackness that hung within Gar's home. Still, they needed to give their eyes a moment to adjust. It was not like they were looking about within a well lit cave, and so each moved slowly and peered intently about as they moved.

Gumbo felt the straw that was scattered about the floor on his leathery-bottomed feet - it could also be noticed by the rotting, sickly-sweet smell that it gave off. The cave went deep into the stone of the cleft and water dripped down each wall making the chamber damp and chilled - quite uncomfortable even for a hobbit.

Gar had fashioned a great bed by laying four large logs at right angles to each other forming a box. It was then heaped high with more hay and other forest foliage. Atop all of that was a number of heavy furs from what appeared to be deer or moose. Along with his bed, Gar had a blackened pit where the troll evidently made fires to both cook and to warm his home.

Beren and Vári walked along the perimeter of the cave to see if there were any knotholes or other ways Gar may have stored his stuff; Gumbo probed the bed straw with his spear. Beren came to a crude chest made of laced, thin branches covered by a bark lid. Gumbo listened to his spear tip softly crunch into the straw and soft earth below it, and then came a sudden THUMP.

All of a sudden, a brilliant light flared into the cave causing the trio to stagger as their night-eyes were blinded - along with it came a growling, hiss and Vári felt a weight strike his leg. The dwarf looked down, but in his blindness could only see a large, furry shape trying to attack him.

[OOC:] I need a Swiftness test TN 15 from Vári to evade the initial attack from the large badger that Gar kept as a pet. If failed, the badger does automatic damage and gets auto initiative for a new attack. If successful, the damage is halved and the badger gains auto initiative for the new attack.

The Night-eyed characters will suffer a -5 penalty to tests for round 1; -3 penalty for round 2; and then normal light vision due to the sudden change from dark to light.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Jul 08, 2008, 06:09 AM #5 Last Edit: Jul 10, 2008, 11:32 AM by tomcat
Iniative Roll(2d6)+3:
2,6,+3
Total:11

Gumbo blinked and tried to get his bearings, luckily his spear was at the ready. He spun around to try and locate both the nature of the creature that he heard and the source of the light.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

sdrotar

Jul 08, 2008, 02:10 PM #6 Last Edit: Jul 08, 2008, 02:20 PM by sdrotar
Swiftness Test (TN 15):
Roll(2d6)+2:5,5,+2 Total:12 - FAIL
OOC: I'd better spend a Courage Point to succeed...

Initiative Test:
Roll(2d6)+2:6,6,(2),+2 Total:16

OOC: I'm assuming that Vári has his axe in hand, right? I mean, he's not stupid. ;)

Vári felt the large, furry... thing next to him, and heard the gnashing of teeth as he quickly leaped away from it with a surprised yelp.
He squinted, trying to shield his eyes from the sudden light, but had little success. He braced himself for an assault, his axe held in front of him.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Roborob

Initiative roll for Bornoge
Roll(2d6)+5:
2,1,+5
Total:8

Having gotten the torch Bronoge enters the cave, and seeing Vári, Gumbo, and Beren cringing, he says "Ay I know I've been crawling around in the dirt but i'm not that ugly!" Bornoe laughed. But then he noticed the alarm on Vári's face and then saw the large badger, that was revealed by the torch.

tomcat

Jul 10, 2008, 11:42 AM #8 Last Edit: Jul 10, 2008, 12:31 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Hey Shawn, yes... your axe is in hand. Remember though, the badger gets auto initiative against your PC.

Gumbo turned to see a tall shape of a Man holding aloft a bright light that caused his sudden blindness. Not far from him, Vári staggered back with the large animal biting and clawing at his leg. Due to its size, it was able to get to the Dwarf's vulnerable legs, which were unprotected by his chain coat, and dig both claw and fang into flesh. [7 damage after halving]

Initiative for Round 1 [some rolls have been adjusted for -5 penalty]:
Badger auto
Vári 11
Bornoge 8
Gumbo 6
Beren

Badger attacks Vári:
TN 12 AC +3, Specialty +2, Ferocious +3, Advantageous position +6
-------------------------
Bite Action 1 - Roll(2d6)+14: 4,3,+14 Total:21 [8 damage if not parried]
Claw Action 2 - Roll(2d6)+14: 2,3,+14 Total:19 [3 damage if not parried]
Claw Action 3 [Multiple attacks] - Roll(2d6)+14: 1,5,+14 Total:20 [4 damage if not parried]

Note: I am giving Vári only 2 points of armour for sturdy leather pants, due to the badger being able to attack his legs only, which the chain coat does not cover.

Telcontar

OOC: On Gumbo's turn if the badge lives when he is up.

Gumbo saw the bandger firmly latched onto the dwarf. It would almost be comical if it were not for the blood and ferocity of the animal. Blinking his eyes as he tried to recover from the sudden light he attacked the badger.

Attack Roll 1 (2d6):
4,1,+12 (spear) +1 (AC with spears) -5 (blinded)
Total:13

DMG Roll(2d6)+3:
4,1,+3
Total:8

Attack Roll 2(2d6):
5,6,+12, +1, -5
Total:19

DMG Roll(2d6)+3:
3,5,+3
Total:11

AttackRoll3 (2d6):
1,6,+12,+1,-5
Total:15

DMG Roll(2d6)+3:
6,1,+3
Total:10

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Roborob

(OOC: on Bornoge's round, if Vari has'nt hacked it to pieces)

Bornoge, not wasting time to pull out a javelin or his club, Starts attacking the Badger with the torch attempting to use the fire to shoo it off of Vari.
(OOC: im just giving the torch the stats of a club, up to you tomcat if it does extra because its on fire)

Attack Roll 1
Roll(2d6)+6:
6,6,5,+6
Total:23 

DMG Roll (OOC: If not Extraordinary Success)
Roll(1d6)+1:
3,+1, +2 STR
Total:6

Attack 2
Roll(2d6)+6:
3,4,+6
Total:13

DMG
Roll(1d6)+3:
2,+1, +2 STR
Total:5

tomcat

Vári kicked the animal off of himself and it thudded on the ground. Now free from his person, his comrades quickly scrambled in and attacked. Between axe and spear, the badger had little chance and in moments the cave chamber was once more quiet.

The Dwarf warrior looked at the torn flesh on his upper thigh, his face a shade of red from embarrassment at having been attacked by such an animal. While Vári tended to his legs, the other three companions set about searching the room once more.

[OOC:] Shawn hasn't replied in a while, so I just went with the other two attacks - I have no idea where the Beren player is.

Okay, what would you like to do now that the threat seems to be removed.

Roborob

OOC: We should open the chest and see whats inside.

tomcat

Jul 15, 2008, 09:38 PM #13 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2008, 09:40 PM by tomcat
Holding the torch aloft, Bornoge watched as Beren lifted the bark covered lid of the make-shift chest. A sour smell rolled out to greet them, as they beheld a pile of mildewed furs, and small insects scurried to hide from the light. Beren grimaced as he reached in and pulled out the first of many damp furs. Not only was the smell of mold bad, but the skins were not properly cured and the reek made the two men want to gag.

"Trolls..." thought Beren.

With the last fur pulled out, the sound of metal clinking quickly brought both men's eyes down into the crate. Laying in plain view was a shortsword, still in its scabbard, though the leather sheath was mostly rotted away, but the blade showed no sign of age - in fact, its brilliance was enhanced by the flicker of the torch. Next to the sword were some other trinkets of common use - a rusted canteen; what appeared to be two mildewed scroll cases; and an elegant looking pendant whose leather neck lace had rotted to ruin. The pendant was made of silver and it was an intricate, natural looking weave of the precious metal.

Over at Gar's bed, Gumbo and Vári had come across a secret stash of their own. It seemed that Gar had been a rather good thief over his long life, and though a simple troll, took great care to seperate the metals that he collected. The now strewn hay bolster was removed and the secret hole, covered with a wooden plank, had been revealed. Gumbo had pulled it back and smiled as he saw four bags, each larger than a feed bag and filled with a large quantities of coins.

Vári picked up a small handful of Gondorian tharni's that were mint dated 50 years past. The silver coins were amongst other coins - some of Dwarven mint, but most of those used by men. The coins came in various sizes and also in various types of precious metal. Scattered amongst one bag of gold coins were a couple dazzling stones!

All in all, the hoard would set any of the companions up for life.

[OOC:] The treasure is as follows (equivalent to a Hoard 2):

122 copper pennies
95 silver pennies (39 of these are the Gondorian tharnis)
86 silver pieces
77 gold pennies
2 uncut rubies
3 uncut emaralds
shortsword
pendant
scroll cases

Roborob

Bornoge picks up the short sword with interest, "I have no memory of ever lifting a sword. Yet this kind of weapon seems to fit my hand naturally." He slashes at the air with it a few times, each making a satisfying swooshing sound. Bornoge smiles gleefully, "If no-one else needs this, I would like to have it. I know not where your going, but you seem to carry trouble with you." He pauses and looks at the sword, "or maybe it's fortune you carry"