• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 12:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

War footing

Started by tomcat, Jun 06, 2008, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

Quote from: tomcat on Jun 13, 2008, 05:44 PM
The gathered Sagath were not warriors. They were thin and malnourished, and did not have the heart for a fight with professional soldiers - left here to perform utilitarian functions. They quickly lowered their weapons and then with hesitant motions, pointed to the corral where Durgil and Fengel had found the prisoners two days prior.

Fengel and Patrel ran to the stockade and looked within. Still tied to posts in the sweltering heat of summer, were the few remaining prisoners of Harizän the Easterling. Some were definitely of Éothraim descent, while others looked to be natives of both Dorwinion and other lands east. The Sagath did not discriminate.

Hands were blue from the tight leather thongs that held them and from blood-loss, having been tied above the captives' heads. Lips were cracked from lack of water and those that could, let out whimpers that pleaded for release - be it from their bondage of the Sagath or the hell on earth that they endured.

Once again, Fengel's stomach turned to a ball of ice.

"Cut them down!" Fengel yelled as he ran to the nearest captive.  Throwing the man's arm around his own shoulders, he cut the strap that held him there for so long.  The man couldn't support himself, so Fengel lowered him slowly to the ground.  "Rest for a moment and then we will see you are cared for."  It was then that Fengel remembered the women  Harizan had held in cages.  He quickly ran toward the place he and Durgil had found two nights ago.  Not even thinking about the fence, he cleared it in one swift leap and kept his pace.

tomcat

Jun 16, 2008, 08:05 AM #17 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2008, 08:13 AM by tomcat
Harizän was a competitive man and he loved his trophies - in all forms. The ancillary pavilion that had housed the captive women was now de-constructed and the wooden stalls that still sat there were empty. Either the Easterling had taken them with him, or worse.

The Éothraim shook his head in self spite - he had left them there. Fengel turned from the empty stalls and went back to aid Patrel and his men in freeing the remaining prisoners. He smiled to see that the few remaining Sagath were now in custody of the soldiers of Ilanin.

It was a beginning.

"Reyvold may be a captain of the guard, but he is not the ranking off.."

Durgil smiled to himself as the newly arrived officer was cut off by Reyvold, "No, I am not the ranking officer in Ilanin... but I am now the ranking officer of those soldiers that will no longer standby and let our city be used by barbarians. You may ask us to leave the garrison, but you may no longer issue commands to us." Reyvold then straightened a bit, looking more confident and professional, "Commander Solus, I regret to inform you that myself and sixty-four members of the Ilanin Guard resign from yours and the Lord Mayor's service and transfer our command to Lord Durgil of Arthedain. It is in the defense and best interests of our city that we do this... and you are welcome to join us."

The room became quiet as Solus realized he had no more authority. In a huff, he turned and left the room leaving Durgil and Reyvold to continue their plans.

The afternoon came and passed, and as was expected, Solus issued orders to those few that remained faithful to the court of Korman Pelagard to remove Reyvold, Patrel and Durgil from the mayoral facilities. And so, the Company with their newly recruited troop of soldiers all gathered on the western field of Ilanin, where Nain and had remained amongst the merchants. The Dwarf had remained with a small group of his kin - the others had moved on - but he had made promise to see through the night, protecting Fengel's sister. With the return of the Company, goodbyes were said, and friends parted ways.

The commanders of the new troop, made up of the Company members, Reyvold and Patrel, sat around a fire as the night settled in, and discussed the next day's course. They would be able to muster a good number of horses, but not enough for the entire troop. In any case, the small host would move out in the morning and head west, towards Thergas, Thuidmar and the gathered Éothraim army.

Under the same night sky, Galudir sat in the dark with his companions. They had been harrassing the edge of the Sagath army, leading them in the direction of Thuidmar.

The rogue removed the dirty rags that he had wrapped around his hand where he had taken a stray arrow. The shaft had pierced his hand as they had ridden to escape the angered Easterlings. One of the Éothraim had broken the arrow and drew it from his palm; now it bled and Galudir feared infection having no way to tend it properly. Again he questioned his decision to leave the quiet lands of home, far away, west of the Misty Mountains.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil is glad to see all is well with Fengel's sister but of course is sad to see his companion go.  "I will continue to wear your sword as a reminder of our friendship; it is an honor to bear it hence. Go in good health and good stead, my friend."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

[OOC:] Everyone can feel free to add some narrative here for the next day, but I am setting up the new series of Narrations and the upcoming battle.

I hope you guys remember our last big battle at Barad-dur... I will be running it the same way. You guys will have combat actions while around you the battle is waged.

I will say that there is one way to avoid the bloodshed - if one of the characters challenge Harizan in one on one melee - the prize is the field.

Your call... but I ask that if your PC has that intention, please let me know before I spend a lot more time organizing our mass-combat game mechanics.  ;)

Lastly, with the end of this chapter, we will be taking a short hiatus from this campaign so that I can give some time to my dungeon crawl (below). We will re-start back with our Company sometime in late July - of course, it could be sooner if my brains start churning. Then again, we may pick up the Star Trek story... either way, we have a big battle to fight still.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

OOC: I kind of had the idea that Fengel would challenge Harizan earlier, but I never found a suitable place.  So if you want to work that in I will plan on Fengel doing so.  You know he has that proud and short tempered flaw.

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Jun 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
OOC: I kind of had the idea that Fengel would challenge Harizan earlier, but I never found a suitable place.  So if you want to work that in I will plan on Fengel doing so.  You know he has that proud and short tempered flaw.

OOC: I suppose that makes sense. Thinking in character, Dirnhael would be extremely uncomfortable putting Fengel's life at risk over his own, but given that this involves Fengel's people and lands, he would likely relent.

Also, while we're here, how injured is Dirnhael? Edrahil?
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Jun 19, 2008, 05:08 PM #22 Last Edit: Jun 21, 2008, 05:23 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Dirnhael's and Edrahil's well-being are both displayed on their online PC sheets. This will be their health as of the day you all arrive at the field of battle.

The link above Battle Map displays the field and also gives the specs on the armies involved. I need to tweak some stuff, but for the most part it is set.

You guys will be able to guide the battle if you want, or I can do it as a background event to your interactions on the field... you guys let me know your preference.

Lastly, the map has hotspots on it that can be clicked that will bring up details of what is going on in that theater of the battle.

Any questions, give me a shout.