• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 11:25 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Round 6 - Convergence

Started by tomcat, Nov 21, 2007, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Nov 21, 2007, 06:32 AM Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007, 05:19 PM by tomcat
Situation: The Romulan Constitution mock-up is currently engaging an aged and damaged D6 cruiser and the Columbia. I will be rolling initiative for each round and for each NPC ship.

Ships status at the beginning of round:
D6 status: Shields at 40% and sensors are offline for 1 more rounds; Weapons and Move maneuvers will be at a -5 penalty with a potential system breakdown on any failure (System Reliabilty test TN 8 failure; TN 12 on Complete Failure; TN 15 on Disastrous Failure)

Columbia status: Shields at 50%, 12 protection, 3 threshold; 9 structure left; No Tier 2 Tactical maneuvers, -1 to Command maneuvers, and -1 to Computer Use tests.

Connie status: Shields at 30%, 13 protection, 2 threshold; 22 structure left; -1 penetration to all arrays, Propulsion OFFLINE, -3 to Initiative, -2 to Tactical maneuvers, -1 to Command maneuvers, -1 to Computer Use tests

Starting Ranges: Gr'Toth is medium range to the Romulan; Columbia is Medium range to the Romulan

Situational Modifiers and Conditional Rules: The CODA system makes no reference to weapon re-charge and so I am going to apply the following rules:

• Phasers may be fired each round [Ready]
  • Photon/Disruptor Torpedoes need 1 round to re-charge [Columbia Ready; Gr'Toth Ready]
  • Plasma Torpedoes need 2 rounds to re-charge [Charging 1]

So if you fire your photon torpedoes in round 1, you cannot fire again until round 3 - so be careful when you plan multiweapon fire maneuvers.

Carryover bonuses: Columbia has a Lock On the Romulans +3

Note regarding map: I have shown a range display for the combatants; each display shows that allied ship's position relative to the Romulan attacker.

Initiative:
Federation - 13
Romulans - Roll(2d6)+3: 5,2,+3 Total:10
Klingons - Unable to act for 1 more rounds

The Columbia's phasers flashed blue, striking the Connie as she raced past. The close range gave the weapon's a more effective punch and the Romulan ship's shield were drastically reduced.

On board, Korvona held on tightly as her ship shook violently and panels burst and exploded around her.

And then... nothing.

The Connie was a patchwork of systems that were meant to deceive – not engage in a prolonged battle.
"We have no forward mobility!" cried her helmsman.

Darkan looked at the viewscreen, his face momentarily puzzled while his brain registered what he was seeing. The Romulan ship's nacelles flickered and then went dark, although its momentum carried it forward in the frictionless bounds of space.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 21, 2007, 07:15 PM #1 Last Edit: Nov 21, 2007, 07:31 PM by GandalfOfBorg
Tactics - (6+4)+3 = 13

"Did they just lose their engines?" queried Darkan aloud, more to himself than anyone else.

OOC: To determine opposing ship's shield frequency requires extended TN 50 Sys Op (Sensors) test, intervals measured in rounds.  Successful attacks ignore opponent's shields entirely until they are remodulated.  I guess that will take awhile to get unless the Narrator is kind enough to allow a number of tests beginning in the round when the order was originally given.

"We're gonna need some help on this."  To the bridge, "Do we still have communications?"  There's obviously something wrong with the Klingons; Grahm, keep it quiet, but if their weapons are operational, see about linking their weapons to ours so they will fire upon the same target.  I'm gonna try to talk to the Romulans, but Stonn (OOC: or whomever) get me those shield frequencies -- we need that ace up our sleeve if I can't talk our way out of this."

OOC: Doug, how much talking can we do before we have to post maneuvers?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

[OOC:] Hey Matt, I already gave Shawn the extended test instructions via PM, so we just need to wait until he gets a chance to post.

As far as talking goes, you guys can talk until your blue in the face if you want. (D It is your initiative so you can commence the converstaion and there will be no more maneuvers conducted if you can keep a debate going with Korvona - if you cannot tho, you have sacrificed your initiative into round 6.

Understand that while you 'talk', Korvona's crew can be getting their systems back online.  >:D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

dtpreuss

"Close?!?" Anderson thinks to himself, apprehensive about getting so close to that plasma weapon yet again. That last hit really rang his bell. His mind was still reeling from the death and destruction dealt the Columbia.

Wiping the sweat from his brow he checks his sensors and plots a course directly towards the romulans and feeds it to the helm. I hope this works. "Course plotted and laid in, Skipper" He said, watching as the action unfolded on the viewscreen.

Roll (2d6)+9: 6,5+9 Total: 20

[OOC:]Sorry for the delay, it's been a hell of a week.

He watches as the attack appears successful and the Constitution mockup appears to come to a dead stop. He checks his navigational sensors to determine amount and type of debris.

Roll (2d6)+9: 4,4+9 Total: 17

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 23, 2007, 04:09 AM #4 Last Edit: Nov 23, 2007, 04:15 AM by GandalfOfBorg
"Engineering, get those fires out and shore up the shields.  Grahm, Lock On to the Romulan vessel, we need to be a credible threat.  Helm, prepare for evasive maneuvers even without my command.  Open hailing frequencies, Ms. Townshend.  Adjust the video so it will tighten just on me.  Here goes nothing..."

1) Lock On
2) Come About for the +5 protection

"Romulan vessel, this is Commander Steven Darkan of the USS Columbia.  We've got you in our crosshairs and are prepared to destroy your vessel if you do not power down your weapons, drop your shields and surrender.  The alternative is for us to continue to beat each other into oblivion.  This is our only chance to survive this encounter.  I don't know about you, but enough good people on both sides have been lost today."

OOC: There are times when I really like the dice roller...
Persuade - (6+6)+6+4=22
Tactics (next round) - (6+5)+3=14

OOC: And now that Ive used up all my good will it, we're screwed  :SS
Gwaithlim Weapons

seppun1

Pushkin holds on tightly to his console, giving a worried look to it. That's all he needs is for it to go up again in his face.  He makes sure to keep the Columbia steady after that Plasma torpedo sending her for a little tumble.  He gives a look to Anderson after she calms down before tapping the keys to follow the Captain's command. "Coming about, aye." He looks to the viewscreen as the ship starts to turn, bringing the Romulan Connie onto the screen.   

Maneuver 1: Come About TN  10
    Sys Ops +12, Specialty +2, Dazed -1 = +13
    Roll (3d6) (Evasive Maneuvers Roll 3, keep best 2):4,1,3 +13 Total: 20.

sdrotar

Stonn was working as quickly as he could; his long fingers dancing across the lighted console as he searched for the information the Captain required.

OOC: Sorry for the delay... holiday travel+spotty internet=hard to post. :(

Sensors test (TN 50 - Extended)
OOC: Technically, this action started two rounds ago, so I will roll for Rounds 4, 5 and 6 here, OK?
Roll(2d6)+11

Round 4: Roll(2d6)+11: 4,5,+11 Total:20
Round 5: Roll(2d6)+11: 1,1,+11 Total:13 - please add 1 Courage to bring it to 16. Will work it into the narrative.
Round 6: Roll(2d6)+11: 4,1,+11 Total:16
Total = 52

Moments ago, Stonn had almost lost the signal entirely as the Romulans' weapons disrupted systems throughout the ship. Fortunately, he was able to quickly shunt extra processing power to the sensors and retain the momentarily-tenuous lock. He had heard the Captain's request for an update, but he was deep in concentration... and then, he had it. He turned and faced the Captain, his voice rising above the din.

(OOC: More to come after I find out what Stonn has learned.)

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

[OOC:] Okay, first things first... Gahm acheived a Lock On last round and it still is in effect, so you can choose another ship maneuver if you want.

Second, I am correcting Stonn's sensor tests - as I stated in the PM to you Shawn, scanning for shield frequencies are full-round actions, but Stonn also was performing electronic-counter-counter-measures:

Sensors test (TN 50 - Extended)
OOC: Technically, this action started two rounds ago, so I will roll for Rounds 4, 5 and 6 here, OK?
Roll(2d6)+11-5

Round 4: Roll(2d6)+11: 4,5,+6 Total:14
Round 5: Roll(2d6)+11: 1,1,+6 Total:8 - please add 1 Courage to bring it to 16. Will work it into the narrative.
Round 6: Roll(2d6)+11: 4,1,+11 Total:16
Total = 41

Still need to continue scanning in next round. Also, I want to remind Stonn that he detected some inbound warp signatures about two rounds ago... see the PM I sent Shawn.  ;)

Lastly, I need to make some rolls for the following Narrative.

Roll(1d6)+2: 1,+2 Total:3

--More to follow in the AM.

tomcat

Nov 30, 2007, 07:46 AM #8 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2007, 05:24 PM by tomcat
Darkan's face appeared on Korvona's viewscreen and the Romulan stared at him, unable to decide on what to do with the sudden change of events. Her mind was still registering the calls from her operations officer regarding the loss of all propulsion.

"There is no reply from engineering, sir."

Korvona gave an unsteady nod as she formulated some kind of plan. She turned to the viewscreen and focused on the Earthling's words.

"...I don't know about you, but enough good people on both sides have been lost today."

He was right in one respect - too many of her people had perished thus far in this little escapade. She looked at the mortality report that she had been given moments before. The battle had claimed ten of her crew so far and all they were here to do was to help in a Klingon coup... not to die for the barbarians! All the Romulan Star Empire wanted to acheive in their part was a war between its enemies.

"Delegate Korvona, we are still getting no answer from engineering. Internal sensors are starting to detect heavy rads in all ship sections surrounding the warp core! Sir, I think we have a core breach!"

The Romulan operations officer was mostly right.

The mock-up Constitution had passed very close to the Columbia in its strafing run and Grahm had taken full advantage of the range. His phaser fire had struck the vessel and a greater portion of its power had overcome the shields striking it in a critical area. The attack had caused the warp cooling unit to buckle and break free from the couplings that held it to the deck. Once free, the many lines that flowed to and from the warp core burst and in milliseconds the bulkheads were immersed in highly-radiated coolant.

The crewmen closest to the disaster were the lucky ones; their lives extinguished quickly. It was the others in the immediate surrounds that suffered most, as the radiation attacked their bodies causing their cells to burst and internal organs to fail. They died fast, but not fast enough to not be aware, their eyes and lungs filling with the life blood now freed from the veins that once contained it.

The warp core, now deprived of the cooling fluid, began to super heat. The power and heat burnt through all transfer conduit and shut down the ship's flow of power. Back-up systems immediately went online and transferred all systems to auxilliary power, but due to the faulty designs of the vessel, its many systems were slow to react, by only mere seconds.

And so, Korvona was unaware as her ship began its course towards immolation.

On the Columbia bridge, Stonn became aware that the Romulan's warp core was on the verge of exploding as the Romulan operations officer informed his commander that they had a radiation leak.

[OOC:] what a sad turn of events for the Romulans.  :(

Grahm made a semi-good attack, but it was enough to cause structural damage and reduce shields. The shield track gave them a critical hit, and the structure hit gave them a critical... and then I rolled double 6's on the critical hit track!

The propulsion track was reduced to offline and then I rolled for the core breach. Reliabilty test failed cause the ship systems are/were very faulty and then a critical and minor core breach result!

Needless to say, what may have been a longer battle has just ended!  ;)

Good job guys!

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Are we going to continue the encounter: attempt to save the Rommies, more to exposing the conspiracy, etc. or are you gonna halt the action there?
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

OOC: Hey Matt, all I will say is there are 3 rounds (including this one) before the core explodes. We are coming to the end of the Episode, but how dramatic its end is still to be seen.

seppun1

Pushkin continues to watch the Romulan mock-up hang there in front of them. He gives glances to his console, making sure to keep the Columbia under control.  He glances in the direction of the XO. "Radiation leak?" He looks back to the ship before looking to his controls, making sure the board is green and warp power was available. 

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Before Darkan says anything, I want to make sure of what he knows/has been told regarding the impending destruction of the Romulan vessel.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

[OOC:] I am going to wait for the other players to put their dialogue in Matt, instead of just saying that Darkan knows... but I will only give it a couple more days.

sdrotar

"Captain," Stonn said from his station, "the Romulan vessel is heavily damaged. It's warp core is becoming rapidly unstable. We should move away from the vessel quickly and notify the Gr'Toth to do the same, if possible."

He stared back down into his sensor hood - he had seen something earlier, but he had been focused on the battle.

"Sir," he said once more, "two Klingon warp signatures are en route. They appear to be B'Rel-class scouts and will arrive within the hour."

OOC: Sorry about the delay. I caught some terrible flu and have been sick as a dog for a week. :(
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun