• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 02:43 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Convergence

Started by tomcat, Oct 16, 2007, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Oct 16, 2007, 04:53 PM Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:39 PM by tomcat
Communication between the Federation and Klingon vessels was reduced to nothing. Vrang had been beamed back to his ship roughly ten minutes prior and the Columbia had moved to a position that placed the Gr'Toth between her and the oncoming enemy vessel. Unbeknownst to the Klingons, the Federation starship had also been employing her Prairie Masker system and was truly a black hole in space... at least until the Connie mock-up, if that was what was approaching, got closer - then the crew would learn how well the technology truly worked.

Phaser stations were all manned, and the automated torpedo system had loaded a full spread into the Columbia's tubes. Grahm looked at his console and saw a green light for each ready system. The shields were at 100% - Ramos' teams were on top of their game - the ship was as ready defensively and offensively as she could be.

Stonn sat looking into his hood and called out the distance to the approaching vessel - it would be in visual and combat range within 10 minutes.

Darkan sat in his command chair and watched his staff at work, impressed by their efficiency. The Federation commander hoped the Gr'Toth was ready for another fight.

Time ticked down.

[OOC:] 5 minutes

Korvona watched with concern as her engineer flitted about the helm console. The damned ship was supposed to be able to fight a battle or two, let alone move at warp speed! Right now, her vulnerable systems were playing havoc with each other and the Romulan knew that it would be a short encounter for them unless the crewman could shore up the controls.

"Will this ship be able to fight and win?" she asked in an exasperated tone.

"We will be destroy anything we cross!" her engineer answered a bit over enthusiastically.

Behind both another voice called out, "Commander Korvona, we are coming into range - I should have the ship we are detecting on visual in a minute or two. It has not changed position... I think it is safe to assume that it is a wreck."

"Prepare to drop from warp," Korvona answered. "Let's not assume anything... the Klingons have long been wily in the ways of war. Tactical, bring all batteries on line!"

[OOC:] 2 minutes
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

The tension on the bridge was almost unbearable.  The red lights of the high alert flashed all about, the klaxon silenced long ago.  Everyone was quiet except for the recitation of the approach of the vessel, maybe enemy vessel.  In an even voice, Darkan gave his first commands of the battle before the first shot was fired.  "Helm, if the vessel comes in hot, bring us around the Gr'Toth on the side of the lost nacelle, placing us between it and the attacker, but keep us nimble.  Tactical, you will put shields to maximum, aiding the Klingons if need be.  Get us a Lock On as soon as they are at Medium range and give'm our best.  Mr. Stonn, unless you can do this earlier, once the cat is out of the bag, I want you to scan for the vessel's weaknesses... anything to give us an advantage."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Oct 17, 2007, 08:50 AM #2 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:39 PM by tomcat
Sensor test to detect Columbia TN 20
Sys Ops +10, Specialty +2 = +12
Roll(2d6)+12: 5,3,+12 Total:20 SUCCESS

The Romulan ship dropped from warp at an extended range of 350,000 Km from the Gr'Toth and immediately commenced sensor sweeps of the entire area. The ship's computer took in all of the energies and particles that it registered from the miniscule to the massive and began to feed that information to the sensor technician.

"Commander Korvona, I am detecting both warp and impulse energy readings from a D6 battlecruiser. It is leaking large quantities of radiation so it is assumed it is heavily damaged. I am bringing up visual now."

The viewscreen on the connie bridge lit up and showed the wounded starship as it drifted in space - the Klingons had yet to reveal that they had any flight control. Behind the Gr'Toth, something else could be seen - but it was indiscernable.

"What is that behind the D6?" asked Korvona.

"Sir, I don't know. We are picking up something large but I cannot get an exact on it. Perhaps it is the ruins of the two B'rels that had communicated their presence to us a few hours ago. Needless to say, I am not detecting any energy signs as of yet."

Korvona did not like the answer, but still decided her course. "Close in on the D6 - let's finish what has been started here. There are no communications emanating?"

"No sir... it is as quiet as the dead."

"Let's make sure of that," Korvona replied. "Charge all batteries and prepare to fire."

Vrang and Darkan were also looking at their viewscreens. On both, a Constitution-class starship was fast approaching but still distant enough to make phaser fire useless - though torpedoes would still be effective - at her rate of closure that would soon change. Even now, Vrang stared with a feeling of apprehension. Was this really a Romulan mock-up? Or had he allowed himself to be a pawn in a most ingenuous of Federation plots?

He would know soon enough, and if the Columbia was truly his enemy, it would not matter for he and his crew much longer.

Darkan, along with the rest of his bridge staff, could immediately see that the approaching ship was a bad imitation. It would definitely cause the unfamiliar to point the finger at the Federation, but her design, though close, was clearly not a Connie. The saucer had an irregular forward bulge and the graceful lines that would normally be seen, were squat and irregular.

It would not be much longer until the Columbia knew what her true capabilities were.

We will be going into Rounds from this point...

Initiative tests [Round 1]

The Columbia may use this round to make the first attack as a surprise without any counter - or may take a +3 initiative bonus over the next 3 rounds

Klinks - Roll(2d6)+5: 6,6,4,+5 Total:21
Roms - Roll(2d6)+7: 2,3,+7 Total:12
Feds - (6+2)+3+3=14
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: What range increment is the Romulan ship at?
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Oct 17, 2007, 07:23 PM #4 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:39 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Extended +2 to the Gr,Toth... Extended +4 to the Columbia

sdrotar

Stonn looked up from his viewer and addressed the captain.
"They have detected us, but it is unlikely that they have fully penetrated our masking device... otherwise, they would undoubtedly be acting more aggressively. I will not commence full scans until it is clear that we have been revealed, per your order, sir."

He glanced at the viewscreen again, taking in the clumsy lines of the mockup.
"Captain, the bulge on the lower saucer appears to be a retrofitted plasma torpedo - extremely dangerous at close range; it will dissipate with distance. This vessel is undoubtedly of Romulan origin."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: I'll take the +3 Init for 3 rounds.

Tactics - (6+2)+3+3=14

"Slight change of plans -- that will be our first target.  We'll let Vrang pound it while we pick it apart.  Helm, keep them at Long Range.  Tactical, unless the Klingons shoot first, wait for the Romulans to get to Long Range, go shields up and Lock On.  Target the Weapon Systems.  Since this thing is big, use the torpedoes."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Oct 25, 2007, 07:21 AM #7 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:40 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Both fed and klink wait on their initiative action...

D6 status: Shields at 60%; Weapons and Move maneuvers will be at a -5 penalty with a potential system breakdown on any failure (System Reliabilty test TN 8 failure; TN 12 on Complete Failure; TN 15 on Disastrous Failure)

Romulans make a Close Maneuver TN 10
Sys Ops +8, Specialty +2 = +10
Roll(2d6)+10: 5,2,+10 Total:17 SUCCESS... closes three increments

Romulans Lock On to the D6 TN 11
Sys Ops +8, Specialty +2 = +10
Roll(2d6)+10: 2,2,+10 Total:14 SUCCESS (+3 bonus to attacks until broken)

GoB - are you meaning Long Range to the Columbia, or the Gr'Toth? Let me know and I will make the appropriate tests...

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Sorry yes for the Gr'Toth.  I mean for us to act this new round to perform the actions I specified.

Tactical: Lock On, shields up
Helm: Close to Long (keep Columbia at Long to Rommie, while helping protect the Klingon ship)
Stonn: Use sensors to find weaknesses
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Oct 28, 2007, 05:44 PM #9 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:40 PM by tomcat
"There is another vessel present!" shouted the Romulan sensor control officer. "I have movement beyond the Klingon vessel, sir, and it is... it's a Federation ship!"

Korvona's head turned quickly from the officer back to her viewscreen as the Columbia moved from her position behind the Gr'Toth.

[OOC:]

Grahm activates shields on the Columbia (Character action - no ship cost)
Grahm locks on the Romulan vessel TN 14 (Columbia Maneuver 1)
Sys Ops +11, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+13: 2,3,+13 Total:18 SUCCESS

Helm Close maneuver TN 10 (Columbia Maneuver 2)
Sys Ops +7 (all mods)
Roll(2d6)+7: 6,5,+7 Total:18 SUCCESS

Stonn may conduct a sensor scan and I will reveal anything based on dice results.

All other characters who have actions available may do what they want in this round, but the Columbia has performed all Ship Maneuvers it can for this round. I will be starting a thread for Round 2 in the morning.

New players, introduce your characters as you want - Telek is in Engineering so use that room to make you entrance... Anderson is on the bridge right now as chief Navigator.

sdrotar

Sensors Roll:
Roll(2d6)+11: 6,1,+11 Total:18

Stonn peered into the hooded viewport; surely, the Romulans were now close enough to tell they were there.
"Commencing active scan," he announced to the bridge, never looking up for acknowledgment.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

dtpreuss

Oct 29, 2007, 09:22 AM #11 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007, 09:30 AM by dtpreuss
Billy Anderson sat at the navigation console, and for the second time today was about to engage in battle. It seemed to him that they were nearly shaken apart the first time, but evidently things weren't as bad as he thought; they were once again up to 100%.

The fight, the negotions, the high warp encursion deep into the neutral zone, the confrontation on the bridge,  another blistering phaser fight; what else could happen in one day?! This was more than he'd seen in the last five years combined. Deep space was all he'd heard it was, and then some.

He knew all of the propaganda about the Romulans, but he wanted to understand more about their culture. He'd finally learned the language well enough, he hoped, to read their own literature - if he lived through this encounter with them, that is.

He plotted a course around the port side of the D6 (to protect the fragmented nacelle) and to a point 100,000 Km from the Romulans and sent it to the helm.

Even though it looked wrong, and he knew that it wasn't really a Federation ship, it still felt odd to him to be engaging it.

He checked his sensors for rate of closure, aspect, and angle of attack to the Romulan ship.

Sensors (2d6)+8: 6,2+8=16

tomcat

Oct 29, 2007, 09:29 AM #12 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:40 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Nice post Darrin! Welcome aboard! This will be interesting... I am going to have to figure out how to give you and Pushkin mutually challenging tests with driving the ship. The 24th century seems a bit easier since it was only one guy piloting and navigating.

I'll figure it out...  ;)

seppun1

Alex Pushkin steps out of the Turbolift and out onto the bridge, his wounds having been cleaned and healed. He looks to the viewscreen and the situation before stepping forward to take his station. He nods his head in thanks to his replacement, leaning to ask quietly about the helm status.  He quickly takes his seat and scans the panel to confirm their heading and speed.  The Captain is busy with a tense situation so he can not dally.   

He glances over to Anderson and offers him a polite nod of his head. Unfortunately, no time for chit chat either.

tomcat

Oct 30, 2007, 05:11 AM #14 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 09:41 PM by tomcat
On the Gr'Toth, Vrang orders the Romulan mock-up to be locked and all weapons to fire.

[OOC:]

Gr'Toth Maneuver 1:
Lock On TN 14
Sys Ops +8, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+10: 4,3,+10 Total:17 SUCCESS

Gr'Toth Maneuver 2: Fire Torpedoes TN 14
Sys Ops +8, Specialty +2, Ship damage -5
Roll(2d6)+5: 5,2,+5 Total:12 +3 Courage (I am giving the Klingons and Romulans 3 Courage total, they now have 2 left) SUCCESS

The ship's torpedo tubes fired and due to its weakened propulsion system, literally caused the ship to shift from the recoil. Still, the Klingon gunner was on target and the Romulan ship's forward screens took the barrage of fire.

Korvona smiled, "It seems that the Klingon has a bit of fight left in him... but not enough, I think. Tactical! Re-target... let us see what the Miranda can take. Lock and Fire!"

[OOC:] End of Round 1... I am opening a new thread for Round 2. I need an initiative roll... post it there GoB