• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 07:18 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Round 3 - Friend in need combat

Started by tomcat, Aug 27, 2007, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Aug 27, 2007, 10:21 AM Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007, 07:12 PM by tomcat
Situation: Two B'rel's are currently engaging the Columbia while the D6 cruiser moves to disengage. I will be rolling initiative for each round and for each ship.

Starting Ranges: The Columbia and the D6 and B'rel's are at Short range from one another

Initiative:
D6 - 10
Columbia - 9
B'rel 1 - 9
B'rel 2 - 5

Ranges to each other:

Columbia
D6
B'rel 1
B'rel 2
Columbia
n/a
Short
Short
Short
D6
Short
n/a
Short
Short
B'rel 1
Short
Short
n/a
Short
B'rel 2
Short
Short
Short
n/a
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Tactics - (5+1)+3=9

"Medical team to the bridge!  Engineering, get those shields back online now!  We can't let them follow Vrang or us for that matter... match their speed, but keep us in between them and the D6.  Grahm, let them have it all."

OOC:
1) Match Speed
2) Full Attack
Tactics - (6+5)+3+9 Courage = 25
First target, most injured B'rel, then the other.  Use phasers first, then torpedoes to finish each off if needed.

Another item for Narrator resolution, missile weapons say they give "splash" damage at 'close' range but 'close' isn't defined. (I presume PB)
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Aug 29, 2007, 07:31 PM #2 Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007, 07:28 AM by tomcat
Throughout the Columbia, different stations became very busy.

Tam was the first to move when he heard the Captain's call for aid. He and a small team of his staff ran to the closest turbolift and took the short ride to the bridge. The doors whooshed open to the controlled anarchy of the ship's main command center. The red lights of battlestations illuminated everything in crimson and made it somewhat difficult to see through the smoke. Darkan pointed to Townshend first and then yelled, "Pushkin is hurt too!"

Darkan turned immediately back to the tactical situation, "We can't let them follow Vrang or us for that matter... match their speed, but keep us in between them and the D6."

The helmsman replied through gritted teeth, "Sir, I can at least get us in position."

With that he moved to the secondary helm position and gingerly called up the 3-dimensional aspect of the battlefield. Not until he had maneuvered the ship and matched speed, per his captain's orders, did he step back and let one of Tam's physicians tend him.

In Engineering, Ramos watched and felt the battle ensue through his consoles. He saw as the ship's shield grid was suddenly bombarded with a series of hits and then wink out.

"Engineering, get those shields back online now!" Darkan shouted through the comm panel.

"Working on it," Ramos replied to himself.

[OOC:] Okay here are the tests needed performed by the ship's crew... only one is an actual ship maneuver.

Pushkin performs a Match Speed maneuver TN 16 (ACTION 1, Maneuver 1)
Sys Ops +12, Specialty +2, Ship's Helm bonus +0, Dazed -1 = +13
Roll(2d6)+13: 2,2,+13 Total:17 SUCCESS (Ship gains a +5 bonus to all Sys Ops (Tactical) to attack primary target)

Ramos attempts to reinforce the shields TN 20 (Full Round ACTION; Ramos diverts power from Life Support)
Engineering: System +8, Affinity for staff and reliable equipment +2, Shield's reliability modifier +2 = +12
Roll(2d6)+12: 4,6,+12 Total:22 +6 (Courage) = 28 SUPERIOR SUCCESS (Restores 30% to Shield Strength)

From Darkan's left, Grahm yelled out, "Shields are back up, sir! We have 30% efficiency."

"Mr. Grahm, let them have it all."

Grahm nodded as he performed a Theta pattern attack. The ship had lock on the vulnerable B'rel, but the Tactical Officer targeted the second enemy ship as well and then pressed the command for a multi-weapon fire. Outside the Columbia, both phasers and photons launched again, this time at both B'rels and at a far deadlier range.

OOC: Fast Attack TN 25 - Matt, although your dice roll and modifiers only add up to 24, I am giving you this one... because it is cinematically awesome!  ;D - SUCCESS, grants free Multi-weapon Multi-fire maneuvers, but due to shortfall on test roll, I am incurring a -3 to Sys Ops (Tactical)

Grahm Multi-fire/Multi-weapon TN 21 and 22
Sys Ops +11, Specialty +2, Lock On +3, Match Speed +5, Ship's tactical bonus +2, Penalty -3, (Second target -3) = +20 (+17)
B'rel 1 - Roll(2d6)+20: 1,6,+20 Total:27 SUPERIOR SUCCESS

Results: Shield strength reduced by 2 (now 1); Shield's threshold is currently 0 so 9 points of damage spills over shields into ship's structure reducing it to -1

B'rel 2 - Roll(2d6)+17: 2,6,+17 Total:25 COMPLETE SUCCESS

Results: Shield strength reduced by 1 (now 8 ); Shield's threshold is currently 1 so 8 points of damage spills over shields into ship's structure reducing it to -1

P.S. - To answer your question Matt, photons cause splash damage at Point Blank range. Also, I forgot to also include your +2 Ship's Command bonus to maneuvers, so your Fast Attack did overcome the TN. I didn't bother re-calculating... end result would be the same.

The photon torpedoes struck the weakend B'rel amidship and in a spectacular, yet horrific scene, blew the neck of the vessel from the main hull - moments later the vessel exploded. Its companion was also doomed as both phasers and photons hit the command center at the bow of the ship literally disintegrating it. More weapons impacted upon the right wing and tore it asunder. In what was only moments of combat died down to respectful quiet as the flare of the explosion faded. One of the Klingon B'rels was gone while the other drifted off into space in multiple pieces, its crew dead from exposure to the vacuum of space.

Grahm, somewhat shocked by the power he unleashed, gave a tactical situation update to his commander, "Sir... both B'rels are destroyed and I show no other threat tracks on my board."

Stonn spoke next, "The D6 looks as if it has secured from going to warp."

Around them all, the bridge went back into motion as the crew of the Columbia saw to their duties.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: being an engineer, basic math is hard ;)  thanks again for the reminder about the ship's maneuver bonus, been awhile since we did a bit of starship combat.  hehe kinda reminds me of Generations, at least we don't have the counselor at the helm crashing the ship into a planet.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16