• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 06:07 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Battle's End

Started by tomcat, May 27, 2007, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

May 27, 2007, 03:17 PM Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 06:08 PM by tomcat
The noise of combat had subsided in the ravine save for the sound of the living breathing hard from the stress of battle and the wimpers of the dying. Nain stood poised over the final Sagath warrior as he lay on the ground crying for mercy, the man's face was white as ash from the loss of blood. The Dwarf could see that he was going into shock and knew there was no more threat and lowered his axe.

Fengel peered out into the night but could only see the blur of darker shadows moving in the absolute dark of night. The Éothraim quickly glanced left at the sound of the twang of a bow above him, atop the hill. Durgil's eyes had also been straining to discern an enemy and he saw the last chariot chasing to where Dirnhael and Galudir had disappeared to. The young noble aimed at the mass of darkness adjusting for speed and wind and let fly his arrow. The missile flew true and struck the back of the Sagath driver causing him to pitch off of his wain and land hard on the ground. He did not rise.

In the darkness, Koskas had achieved his goal and gotten past the warrior with the wicked blade and now ran to meet the first of the chariots as they approached - but not before the other warrior, who had snuck up behind him, once again nipped him with his weapon. Yet it was not enough to stop him - not waiting for it to slow, the werewolf leapt aboard, howling in agony as he did from the wounds he had sustained.

"North!" he yelled to the driver. "We are lost here... we will inform Harizän of these upstart warriors. He will mete out justice upon them all! And we may have a hand in that vengeance!"

The wolf smiled an awful grin, unnatural for the wolfish snout, both from pain as well as from the thought that his plan had worked. The sacrifice of these few warriors would light a fire in his masters belly that only blood would be able to quench.

"Harizän will burn every inch of these lands," thought Koskas as he looked to his wounds, pleased to see that they were already commencing to heal. His hatred for the Éothraim was all-consuming and at times, in these lands, it took mastery of the man's actions. He licked his own blood and then gave another cry out in defiance to those they left in the midst of the Three Tears.

The sound of the last two chariots could be heard racing away, but Fengel knew that there was naught to do about them now. They could mount their horses and race them down, but Edrahil had been hurt and he knew he would need the Sindar's arcane skills. He would ask Dirnhael, and so he ran off into the dark to find him. The Éothraim came upon his friend, walking with Galudir, back towards the lit ravine. The Dúnadan had been wounded as well, although he still looked hale.

The few remaining warriors, along with Edrahil, came down into the small valley - the Elf being supported by Durgil. It was a grim scene and many had died, but it was a victory. Fengel walked back into the light with his friends in tow and he could see a gleam of fire in the eyes of his warriors.

In the distance, the eerie cry of a wolf rose and faded.

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

Understand that a slew of rider-less horses mill about the ravine and the surrounding area of the hills.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

May 28, 2007, 07:55 AM #1 Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 05:49 AM by Palandil
Thankful to see Dirnhael was okay, Fengel approached his friend, "So you fought the thing aye?  What was it like?"  Fengel could imagine on his own and didn't really want to know the details, but never less the question escaped his lips.

After seeing that the rest of his friends were okay, Fengel searched the carnage for his fallen brethen.  He carried their bodies back to the horses to strap them upon their steeds later.  He and the other Eothraim then gathered the fallen Sagath and piled them together to be burned.  "Can you do anything for this one Edrahil?", looking upon the dying warrior.  He then stood next to Dirnhael, "We should gather up the other horses and make for Thergas at first light.  Once we see what men we have left we should take Koskas's camp.  Maybe riders have come from Thuidmar."

GandalfOfBorg

Looking at the Eldar in his arms, Durgil shook his head.  "Fengel, I don't think Edrahil is any condition to take care of the man let alone himself.  See to the dead as you may, but I will lead the wounded away right now.  Time is of the essence."  With that he whistled for Rochithuin and her whinnying in response.  Approaching him in the firelight, Edrahil's steed accompanied her, knowing its master wounded.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Nain spent a moment binding the Sagath he'd captured then checked his wounds.  They were beyond his meager skill so he looked to the elf for some assistance.

"They'll not be coming back this night, we've taken most of them and it'll be a time before he can gather anough a force to come against us again.  This one is in need of some healing and might prove useful if we give him a reason."

He nodded in the direction of the man as he spoke.

tomcat

May 30, 2007, 06:21 AM #4 Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:27 AM by tomcat
Edrahil spoke softly, "I am sorry friend dwarf, but Durgil is right. I have little to offer anyone at the moment... maybe by morning."

The Sindar gave the wounded Sagath a sorrowful look, for he knew the man would probably pass before the dawn, and he was truly sorry he could offer him no comfort... but wait!

Edrahil looked to Durgil, a new thought in his mind, "Look to my saddlebags Durgil. WIthin you should find some of the Miruvor given us by Elrond. I cannot promise it will save him, but at least it should comfort his passing."

With that Edrahil sat down upon a large stone and commenced to remove his burnt and ruined tunic.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

"No, do not waste such a valuable thing on this man.  If he were not dying already, my sword would have pierced through his heart."  He looked at the man, his face perplexed.  Fengel shook his head, "I have some skill in tending wounds and though I do not like it, I will tend to him as best I can.  If he lives then his fate has a greater purpose, if not, so be it."  Fengel knelt beside the dying warrior.  "I will need your healing materials Edrahil."

GandalfOfBorg

Of like mind to Fengel, Durgil retrieves the kit from Edrahil's horse.  He also gets the miruvor, but hands it to Edrahil.  "This is too valuable a gift for me to give, even at your direction."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Nain watched over the man as the humans and elf conversed and then acted.  He really was torn himself about the man, killin him would have been the easier path but that made him think of another time, far to the north, that he'd suggested taking the easier path. 

"Aye, if he's meant to live he will.  But I'll not be judging the worth of a man who's measure I've not taken, this one might be more than he appears." 

sdrotar

May 31, 2007, 12:08 PM #8 Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:10 PM by sdrotar
As Dirnhael walked back towards the carnage, a hand firmly on his injured side, he looked to Thermon, who also seemed a bit shaken by what they had faced. But they had faced it together, and once again, Thermon had proven his mettle.
"Thank you," he said. "I would not have survived without your bravery and your help."

Once he met up with Fengel, he answered his friend. "Tis no man," he said. "Koskas is a man-wolf, fearsome and dangerous. I would not have escaped with my life were it not for Thermon's ambush." Dirnhael noted that Koskas cried out more from the sting of Vorandur than he did Thermon's blade; perhaps that would prove useful in the future.
He watched Fengel's eyes widen a bit and ran up the hill to Edrahil, grateful to see that his friend was doing a bit better. He winced with pain as he bent down to speak to him.

"What did he do to you?" he asked the lean Elf.

He looked around at the valley below the hill on which they stood - it was obvious that Nain's axe had bitten deeply and Durgil's arrows had found many of their marks. It was impressive in its terrible scope.
They had won a victory this night, but only in a fashion. Koskas and his men would be back - and in force.

"Let us hope the riders have reached their destination and return with haste," he said, to no one in particular.

The wind whistled through the valley of Three Tears, as if to take the souls of the fallen to whatever awaited them in the beyond.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Edrahil looked at Dirnhael and saw that his friend had taken wounds as well, "I am sorry I can be of little aid to you tonight Dirnhael. It seems that whatever Koskas is, he is also a powerful sorcerer - his foul magics took me unaware in the dark."

Dirnhael watched as Edrahil took the offered Miruvor from Durgil and drank of it, while Fengel saw to their prisoner. The Éothraim showed little in the way of bedside manner as he roughly bound the wound caused by Nain's axe.

Moments later, the magic of Edrahil subsided and the ravine was immersed once more in the dark of night. The Sindar's voice came from the spot he lay, "We should make for Thergas with the first light of day."

OOC: I need a Healing test from Fengel TN 25 for the Sagath.

Edrahil tries to see to his own wounds (the Miruvor helps) TN 20
Healing +11, Healing Hands +5, Wounded -5
Roll(2d6)+11: 2,6,+11 Total:19 SUCCESS
- Miruvor doesn't help in healing just pain relief and weariness recovery, but this is such a good roll that I am gonna give it to Edrahil

Palandil

Healing+1; wit+1; treat wounds+2
Roll(2d6)+4: 4,3,+4 Total:11 well that was a pretty good attempt though.

Fengel made an honest effort to help his enemy, though his skill was not up to the task.  Nain had all but decimated the man.

Stefan

Nain watched whil Fengel tried futily to bind the wounds of the man.  It was a valliant effort but obviously not enough to save the man from his wounds.  He places a hand on Fengel's back as he stands next to him watching the work.

"Frail humans, if he were a sturdy dwarf he'd have been up and around again by now.  Too bad though, he might have been able to give us a little more knowledge of the Sagath armies.  T'was a noble effort."