• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 09:10 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

OOC: Short but sweet, time for a new Chapter...

Started by tomcat, Jan 30, 2007, 06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you guys still use the PDF downloadable character sheets?

Yes - keep them
3 (60%)
Yes - but you can get rid of them
0 (0%)
No - dump them
1 (20%)
No - but keep them, might be useful later
0 (0%)
Didn't know they were there - so no you can get rid of them
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 4

tomcat

Feb 03, 2007, 03:42 PM #30 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2007, 10:26 PM by tomcat
Quote from: BrianM on Feb 03, 2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks!

I'm playing around with creating another character for a different game, and I have one more question that I think you guys can help me with.

When creating a background package, it appears that adding an Edge to it still costs only one pick (rather than two as in the Advancement table). I suppose someone into min-maxing could pick 6 Edges in this way to get the most out of their points. My question is, are racial skills (for the purposes of Advancement points) the ones listed in the Background Package, or are Racial skills any skill listed for that race. My gut feeling is that racial skills are only those from the background package (so that there is motivation to pick skills as well as Edges for the package).

Oh wait ... found a note in the errata that says the one point cost for "Racial" skill advancement is only for Native Languages and Lore - unfortunately, this really makes it easy to want to pick all Edges for a background package - is there some limitaion on this that I have missed somewhere?

Hey Brian, here is the ultimate form to get you through character creation... Character Generation Sheet

As far as the CRB states, you get 6 racial picks in the beginning or you can pick a Racial background. Your Wits x 3 is also Racial skill picks for Language and Lore. I, as a Narrator, allow players to mark their sheets (under Type=O,N,R) with an R for all skills that they originally picked as Racial skills so they are cheaper for future Advancements (1 pick instead of 2).

Hey Paul,
I just forwarded the same mail I sent to Brian, but for Edrahil.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Quote from: BrianM on Feb 03, 2007, 10:30 AM
Oh wait ... found a note in the errata that says the one point cost for "Racial" skill advancement is only for Native Languages and Lore - unfortunately, this really makes it easy to want to pick all Edges for a background package - is there some limitaion on this that I have missed somewhere?

Thanks,
Brian

A character, for the purposes of Racial Development alone, could actually start with 7 edges and 1 flaw while not selecting any skills.  It would be the Narrator to adjudicate this of course and it's highly doubtful any Narrator would allow it.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

BrianM

Thanks very much for all your thoughts on my various rules questions guys. I really appreciate your expertise.

I have created characters in the past, but stuck mainly to straightforward picks. Edrahil's 'rebuild' was a bit more complex and had more Advancements than any of my other characters, and it showed me a few details I had missed in the past.

Cheers,
Brian

sdrotar

Advancement picks for Dirnhael:
+1 to Ride (Horse)
+1 to Observe (Spot)
+1 to Survival (Field)
Add Edge: Wary

Thanks!
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun