• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 28, 2024, 05:50 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

EPISODE 5 - The Wedge (Part 1)

Started by tomcat, Jan 25, 2007, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

Feb 09, 2007, 10:43 AM #15 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2007, 03:54 PM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Feb 09, 2007, 07:49 AM
OOC: Let me start this post with a disclaimer for our diehard Trekkies...

I am not. I love the original series and three of the movies (Wrath of Khan to Voyage Home) and I enjoyed Enterprise a little, that's about it. I also love tactical starship battle games (i.e. Starfleet battles) The other generations of Star Trek were of no interest to me at all and I know nothing about their contributions to the history. I have been studying Ex Astria to sharpen my Trek lore, but I have always been leary of the 'pure' utopian concepts that Rodenberry sort of portrayed in his stories. I think that no matter how far we advance, greed and base animal instincts of man (and any other race that may harbor these same faults) will always keep a society from being perfect. There will always be a 'bad' guy even in the most idealic societies of Man that will try to take advantage of the system, others, etc. Thus there will always be the need for heroes, warships, etc.

Now that you know my knowledge of Trek lore; my mindset of how I envision what even an idealic future would be; now I can say that our story will probably fall out of Trek chronolgy because I don't know if anything like this ever happened in Trek between the Klingons and Romulans.

I hope that the diehard Trekkies that play in our game do not get bent by this break in canon and if so, I am sorry. I know I have made this disclaimer before, but I do not want to trash all over Trek lore. You guys know how I try to keep my LotR game true to Tolkien's spirit, so I do not want to abuse Rodenberry's.

'Nuff said...

OOC: In other words, you would have loved Deep Space Nine. It's certainly my favorite.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Feb 09, 2007, 04:15 PM #16 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2007, 04:19 PM by tomcat
With the Admiral's message complete, the viewscreen next displayed the area of space commonly known as the Wedge. The course that the Columbia would follow was illustrated and the launch points for the series of probes. The elliptical paths of the probes were then displayed stretching deep into both territories of Romulan and Klingon space only to return back into Federation space a week after their launch.

To Jess Townshend, it had become suddenly surreal. She remembered her interview for this mission and the questions that had been asked of her. She remembered how her desire to take her first departmental command had superceded all other issues... how she also felt that she was doing her duty. Townshend had a strong sense of duty, but now it felt like a liability. Things had become very real. She and her shipmates may be the precursor to a war. Could or would the captain stop this?

The communication officer realized that she was not the only one in the room that was doing some soul searching. Jess sat up, straightening her uniform tunic as she did... she was a Starfleet officer. She would follow the orders that she had committed to and she would do everything in her power to see the mission through.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"We will be at the highest EMCON condition and stand at Yellow Alert status until we have picked up the probes and are well on our way back home.  I know that will cause a bit of stress, but everyone needs to keep their edge -- this mission is that important."  He said that not just for the others but also as a reminder to himself.  "We may have gone rogue per our orders, but we will still comport ourselves as usual even if in contact with a perceived enemy; I expect nothing less.  Com, all eyes are on our emissions.  Engineering, I know I needn't remind you that your focus is the Prairie Masker system but I will anyways for the sake of my conscience.  If there is a possibility of this, try and beef up our passive sensor sensitivity -- we'll need all the help we can get to make sure no one gets too close.  How long until the torpedos are ready?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
"We will be at the highest EMCON condition and stand at Yellow Alert status until we have picked up the probes and are well on our way back home.  I know that will cause a bit of stress, but everyone needs to keep their edge -- this mission is that important."  He said that not just for the others but also as a reminder to himself.  "We may have gone rogue per our orders, but we will still comport ourselves as usual even if in contact with a perceived enemy; I expect nothing less.  Com, all eyes are on our emissions.  Engineering, I know I needn't remind you that your focus is the Prairie Masker system but I will anyways for the sake of my conscience.  If there is a possibility of this, try and beef up our passive sensor sensitivity -- we'll need all the help we can get to make sure no one gets too close.  How long until the torpedos are ready?"

OOC: Tomcat, is there anything that Ramos and/or Stonn (perhaps working together?) can do to enhance sensor capability? I know they just came out of Starbase, so the system's probably well-tuned, but...

tomcat

Feb 12, 2007, 05:15 AM #19 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2007, 05:22 AM by tomcat
OOC: I read GoB's post last night Shawn and I started reading up on the CODA: ST sensor mechanics again (which I do not like at all), so let me get back to you on this. I should have an answer tonight.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Feb 13, 2007, 10:37 AM #20 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2007, 05:27 AM by tomcat
OOC: Fingolfin, who is now playing Grahm, is on a bit of a hiatus, so I will take over for the tac officer until his return.

Grahm answered his captain, "The torpedoes are ready now sir. We have 24 from the original 25 loadout."

Across from him, Stonn had also began to give thought to one of Darkan's questions – could the Arc Bow II passive sensor be enhanced? The Vulcan knew it was primarily a matter of software, the sensitive hardware could 'hear' up to five light years away. The problem lay in the software that needed to filter through all of the noise of space and to do it better than even the engineers that designed it planned. Theoretically, he, Ramos, and Townshend could enhance the programs that interpreted the data and thus improve the sensors range, if not just the level of information discerned. He looked to Ramos who appeared to have similar thoughts as well.

Townshend asked the next question, "Sir, do you want us to return to our stations or should we get some rest. I have just come off a ten-hour rotation, but I am able to work a little longer."

Pushkin nodded, for he too had just ended his shift. Waiting for Darkan's reply, Jess pushed a button on her console that immediately took the ship to yellow alert and outside the briefing room the Columbia became very active.

OOC: Shawn, to accomplish what you guys are trying to do will require the following tests:

1)Engineering: System (Sensors) TN 22; this test will take 5 hours to accomplish but can be reduced by DOS and Mr. Ramos' Miracle Worker ability.
2) Computer Use: Programming Extended test TN 150; each test will be 2 hours (reduced again by DOS and Miracle Worker) and TN 15. Each successful test roll will be cumulative towards the extended TN goal, but a failure will actually reduce the accumulated number by the amount of 15 - the failed test result (i.e. a failed roll of 10 will reduce the cumulative by 15-10 = 5 points).
-An extraordinary failure that results from a double 1 roll on the dice, will damage the software and reduce the passive sensors ratings as stated below and all efforts are lost. The extended test may be initiated again to restore the damage done if desired.
-If the extended test results in a success, the passive sensor's capabilities are enhanced as shown below.
-SUCCESS: +5/+4/+3/+2/+1
-EXTRAORDINARY FAILURE: +3/+2/+1/+0/+0
-WEARINESS PENALTIES WILL ACCRUE FOR ANY CHARACTER THAT WORKS ON THE PROJECT FOR MORE THAN 6 HOURS STRAIGHT; Affinity bonuses of +1 each for each crewman  (Stonn, Ramos, or Townshend) that is not making the tests.

Lastly, I am adding a section under the house rules area that will describe how these ship enhancements will work mechanically. I had them before on a PDF file, which is still out there, but I am adjusting it.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: I'm going to wait to see if Stonn or Ramos mention the upgrading of the sensors before I answer Ms. Townshend.
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Stonn raised one eyebrow in contemplation and then spoke. "It is conceivable that we could refine the computer's ability to filter long-range data somewhat." He looked at Ramos for a moment, who nodded, but seemed as if he were holding something back.
"The task would be difficult, but not impossible. However..."

Ramos piped up, his slight Spanish lilt softening his words.
"However, sir - I'm not sure it's worth it. After leaving starbase, the sensors are ideally calibrated to Starfleet specs and Commander Stonn's preferences. It's possible that we might squeeze a bit more out of them, but it's also possible that we might throw them out of alignment or even damage them by pushing them too far, as well." Ramos wasn't exactly the most conservative man - few of Starfleet's engineers were - but he thought of himself as something of a physician to his one and only patient, the Columbia.
Like all physicians, Ramos kept one thought at the fore of his mind - first, do no harm.

"I'd hate to have something happen out here, sir - we're on our own, and I'd rather not be risking blindness just to see 20/10... when we already see 20/20."

Stonn sat still. The concept of improving the sensors appealed to his sense of curiosity, of course, but the engineer's thinking was indeed sound.
"Captain," he said. "The Arc Bow sensor array is indeed functioning at nominal levels, and it is in excellent condition. The decision is yours, of course."

GandalfOfBorg

"Alright, work up your solution but we can keep it on the back burner until we have time to tinker or we are in need of it."  Turning to Ms. Townshend, "Those coming off-duty are to get their normal rest while the remaining crew shall remain on alert.  All duty rotations shall operate as such until our condition changes.  We need to maintain a state of constant readiness, but we will not sacrifice our efficiency and alertness for it."  To the table, "Make final prep of the torpedoes for launch and our protective measures; launch shall commence following that -- no sense staying here longer than absolutely necessary.  If there is anything else, you can see me in my Ready Room," says Darkan, "Let's get to work or get our rest."
Gwaithlim Weapons