• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 06:22 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Desire for shadows!

Started by tomcat, Feb 10, 2005, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The two dwarves scurried under her attack on the Dúnadan and brought their axes to bear once again. The attack was effective as Gorvorsang lifted up her mass in pain. She felt pain, something that had become quite foreign to her. Dirnhael's motionless form started to be drawn past the dwarves and they reached out to stop him. The two pulled on him in a terrible tug of war that meant life or death for the man.

It was then that Edrahil and Durgil made it into the dark corridor, the Man letting fly an arrow that struck the bulbous mound where sat Gorvorsang's eyes. The arrow seemed to cause only a slight effect to the spider-wraith, but it was the elf's magic that did the most harm above all else. Edrahil chanted his spell and immediately his hands began to glow with a bright white light that lit up the darkness of the pit. The spider reared back in seeming agony - she could not remember when she had been touched by the accursed light. In her mind, she had a vague recollection of the horrid glowing ball that used to move through the sky, chasing her into the shadows. Now it was here again and it seared into her dead eyes and added even more discomfort to her than that of the wounds that she had sustained.

She decided that it was time to let these insignificant pests be, take her trophy, and disappear into her beloved darkness!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Situation: The Company faces the great spider-wraith known as Gorvorsang!

Physical Modifiers: There is no penalty to the party as Edrahil's light brightens the passage. Gorvorsang will be penalized by -3 to Actions due to the pain of the light.

Gorvorsang is Defence 12, with dim light a 14, but mammoth size reduces to 10 (8 for dwarves)

*Characters must make a Stamina Test TN 10 each round or suffer a -2 to ALL tests.

Character Status: Daelhun is Winded -1, Durgil is Winded -1, Edrahil is Injured -3 and Winded -1. Be sure and check the status page for your available COURAGE - in case you need any.

Initiative:
Edrahil- Roll(2d6)+2: 6,5,+2 Total:13
Gorvorsang- Roll(2d6)+4: 4,3,+4 Total:11
Fengel- Roll(2d6)+3: 2,3,+3 Total:8
Durgil- (4+3)+2-1=8
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Lunduf

Init  +2
Roll(2d6)+2:6,4,+2 Total:12

Stamina Test +3 tn 10
Roll(2d6)+3: 2,5,+3 Total:10

Actions 1,2,3 Attacks Gorvorsang tn 6
Ac 10 +1 (nim) +1 (Warwise) +2 (ba spec) = +14
Roll(2d6)+14: 3,5,+14 Total:22 extraordinary success
Roll(2d6)+14: 1,4,+14 Total:19 extraordinary success
Roll(2d6)+14: 2,1,+14 Total:17 extraordinary success
Damage  1+ 2
18+18+18 = 54/2= 27 -15 =12 total

Action 4 delay until Gorvorsang's actions

Seeing that the creature has stopped pulling in Dirnhael temporarily and uses this to his advantage with numerous swift strikes to the creatures abdomen.

Wiseman

Initiative: Roll(2d6)+2: 4,5,+2 Total:11

"Let this foul thing not take our leader!"  Dirnhael shouted as he saw the ugly creature trying to take away the man that had so recently become his leader, the man who had given him a chance to make a differance, the man whom he would follow and most importantly that man that he would not let any harm come to as long as he drew breath...

Daelhun took a deep breath, that would be his first mistake as the stench nearly brought him to his knees, they trembled but sheer strength of will and mind over the terrible circumstances brought him to swing his blade yet again, he would see this thing fall under his blade if it was the last thing that his eyes saw in this life, again the blade was held tightly in both hands and he drew upon every bit of his strenght to bring the weapon down heavily upon the terrible legs of the creature, the one that he had already struck twice.

Stamina: Roll(2d6)+2: 1,5,+2 Total:8 EWW STANKY!

Attack 1:Roll(2d6)+8: 3,1,+11 -1 Winded -2 Stench Total:12
Damage: Roll(2d6)+7: 4,5,+7+4 (2-Handed) Total:20
Attack 2:Roll(2d6)+8: 3,3,+11 -1 Winded -2 Stench Total:14
Damage: Roll(2d6)+7: 3,6,+7+4(2-Handed)Total:20

OOC: Doug is a Two-Handed attack considered 2 actions?  If so then I will have to only do 1 attack to achieve the desired increased damaged, chat with me if you have questions :)

GandalfOfBorg

TN 10 Stamina - (5+5)+2-1=11

Seeing his chance while the beast delays, Durgil deftly grabs another arrow and, with a quick aim, fires with the intent to sever the strand of web that is pulling Dirnhael away.

RC: Bows (Longbow) - (6+6+2)+8+2-1=23
Damage: (4+4)=8
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Initiative
Roll (2d6) 1,2 +2=5

Stamina Vs. Stench
Roll (2d6) 5,6 +4 =15

Nain strains his dwarfish muscles against the web that is pulling the human inexorably into the depths.  This man had come into the pit to save him and his brother and he would not die for it.

"You may have taken my brother but he'll be the last that ye take from me."

With a growl and a renewed vigor he heaves against the spiders pull.

Strength check VS TN 12
Roll (2d6) 1,1 +4 =6
Roll (2d6) 5,6 +4 =15

tomcat

She had been hurt, and she needed to be away. The little stings that they kept giving her were beginning to take their toll. There were two many of the two-legs and they had slain her children. She was alone.

Gorvorsang began to back away from the stabbing, stinging barbs and away from the dreaded light. She would return to her hole and rest... recouperate. There would be another time and other prey for her to take and add to her collection.

The giant spider-wraith continued to back up, her front legs poised before her to knock away anymore of the 'stings'. She disappeared into the shadows and finally came to a great pit that dropped some 40 feet into darkness. Her mammoth form easily fit into the hole and the spider was gone, only the stench of her passing remained.

:arrow: OOC:

ACTIONS 1 and 2 used to move away 24 yards that takes her back into her hole.

If the Company wishes to follow her down you are welcome to... let me know

The Company stood in the glow of Edrahil's magic watching the horror crawl quickly back into the darkness. Nain smiled as he loosed his grip on Dirnhael and then looked to the Elf.

"What of him?" he asked as he gestured at the Dunadan.

Edrahil walked over to the paralyzed man and looked deep into his eyes. "He has been succumbed by her dark magic, but it will not last. He should be free soon."

That is when Fengel yelled, "Come! Let us be gone from this foul pit!"

Stefan

Nain thinks for a moment about following the creature into her lair to rid middle earth of her evil once and for all but then thinks better of it.  A fools errend that would be, even moreso than chasing down into this pit alone.

He turns back to the assemblage of Men, Elf and Dwarf.

"Thank you for helping me to avenge the death of my brother.  I truely appreciate it.  You've risked life and limb and I am in your debt.  You may each have one of the items in the wagon above as payment."

He bows deeply and hangs his axe across his back then begins walking toward the entrance of the tunnel.

sdrotar

... the world spins... where was he?

With a start, it came clear to Dirnhael again, and he began to scramble for his blade until he noticed that all around him were his men - his friends.

Anduring no longer glowed from within, and he knew that for the moment, he was safe. A quick count showed that all were accounted for, and the Dunadan let loose a deep, slow breath in relief.

"I know not what has happened," he said to no one in particular, "but I know that you must have saved me - and at great risk to yourselves."
He bows his head slightly as he speaks (were those webs covering him?).
"I am honoured to serve with men of such valour."

He sees the light from above the tunnel, and fearful of what still may come, he makes for the exit.

"Come. Let us leave this accursed place."

As the men walk out in front of him, he turns to Fengel, his trusted comrade-in-arms, and whispers, "Please help me once more, my friend. I am tired and my strength has left me."

Arm-in-arm, the two men walk together and his saviours help pull him from the pit that was to be his grave.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

"You owe me no such debt as it is our duty to do such things, Master Dwarf, but I would hope to continue to use this sword as I may and earn its reward," says Durgil, finishing with a bow.  "Now let us be gone from here lest that foul creature returns in greater ire and power.  I just hope we can now find the rest of our companions."

Durgil follows the group out with his bow ready and new sword gleaming at his side.  He keeps one eye out for trouble and the other on his wounded comrades.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Wiseman

Seeing the creature back away into the darkness Daelhun took a step towards it, he was not going to let soemthing like that live.  It was an abomination, but what of his comrades...

No.  He had done that in their last battle, charged headlong into the field of battle, only to have to be rescued by them, no he would take the rear guard of the company and make sure that no more of the enemy were able to attack them from behind.

OOC: Take up rear of group and protect all.

tomcat

:arrow: OOC:

You guys do an excellent job at this... thanks, it makes it very fun (this includes your posts in the ST game as well Matt and Shawn). This whole scene played great into introducing our new Dwarf party member so it works out.

Matt, your sword is a long or short sword (your preference) that is of dwarf masterwork, it is preserved (Preservation) and also been enhanced by a Bane-spell versus goblins (Orcs). It is made of Borang (S. Steadfast Iron or Steel):

-Damage is relative to the size weapon you choose.
-Bonus includes +1 to Damage (Masterwork)
-Bonus includes +3 to Armed Combat (Bane-spell, enchantment lost some of its potency by making it a permanent effect).
-The sword's Dwarven name is hidden within its etched runes and will not be told by its creator, but Nain's brother had called it Silívren in the Sindarin tongue, meaning Glittering White

The Company came back into the sunlight and its merest touch seemed to restore their spirits. They looked about at the edge of the pit at the numerous small, baby, spiders that clung to its edges - wanting to be close to their parent, but staying away for fear of being eaten. These spiders were still young and posed little threat, most being smaller than the hand of a  man; still, in time they would become a threat to the area.

The Company had no means to dispatch so many and the creatures scurried away at their approach. This would be a task for the future, they had a much more important errand to return to. They scrambled up out of the pit and walked over to Nain's wagon. What would the dwarf do now?

Dirnhael felt compassion for Nain, but also needed to return to his host so he spoke.

"You are welcome to come with us Nain, in numbers is safety. But we must move on and make use of the daylight that we have, so we must be off to re-join with our host. I thank you again for use of your weapons and the gifts you have given."

With that, Dirnhael waited to hear the answer from the dwarf.

In the darkness, two shadows brooded over their loss - of food and of a splendid new trophy - both alike in form but both very different.

One sat curled up, resting, allowing for her wounds to heal - her bulbous eyes staring with hatred into the darkness. Many of her children had been killed by the two-legs and it would be a time until her other young would be of size to be able to 'herd' her food into the pit. She would use that time to heal and grow stronger. Maybe she would claim a few of her own to provide the nutrition she needed to become stronger. Until then she would wait, but she would not forget.

Deeper in the earth, in the darkness and stench, sat Gorvorsang. Her own body healing, but by an un-holy power as the fell-spirit that resided in her corpse exerted its power to restore itself. Her dead eyes looked around her nest at the many 'trophies' that hung within the webbing. They were all dried and some were now nothing but bones, still their pretty shiny trinkets hung on their dead forms causing her nest to 'glitter in the dark'. Oh how she regretted not obtaining another - especially him, he was of the blood that had ended her life so long ago, he was a Dunadan. She loved to watch them wriggle in their nets as they hung, slowly dying and fearing the life that they had remaining. She would occasionally fill them with her poison to cause them excruciating pain - that made them wiggle more.

She would heal too... and she would never forget. Unlike her brood above, she had many lives to wait for another chance.

Stefan

"Well it appears that I've nowhere else to go. With my brother gone I have no reason to go on to the village. Aye, let's be off before darkness falls and those beasts come back out to hunt us again."

Nain then followed the man back to his company and marched with them on their journey north.