• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 04:08 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

To seek passage...

Started by GandalfOfBorg, Nov 07, 2006, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 07, 2006, 07:23 PM Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006, 05:20 PM by tomcat
Nods were given by all to Durgil as he turned his horse east to head up into the mountain, while the others headed back west. Durgil silently wished his companions luck on their errand and then turned to see to his own.

"Master Dwarf, I shall be as quick as I may on this road and return with equal speed.  As I said before, if there are indeed trolls about no one should stand alone against them."

That said, the Dúnadan noble rode on leaving Dwolin behind, for the Dwarf would not abandon his post, and so soon found himself riding alone on a road that had been here for over three millenia, weaving up between steep rising walls.

To his left, the Sirannon river did not slow down in its torrent as he climbed higher and Durgil was moved by the magnificent sight of the series of falls that frothed white and created thick plumes of fog. There were seven such falls that cut down the side of the mountain and each varied in size and height, as well as the unique earthen formations they had created from erosion.

Durgil counted each as he passed until finally the winding road crested atop the seventh fall onto a large grassy shelf. From where he sat atop his horse, Durgil could see where the Sirannon tumbled out of a defile in the flank of the Silvertine to start its long journey down until it finally came to the Glanduin and then on to the sea.

The Shelf itself was roughly 2,100' wide and ran the length of one-half mile along the mountainside upon which the Hollin road continued to curve, graced by two paralleling rows of self-manicured hedges. In the distance, towards the sheer wall of mountain that rose, Durgil could see where the road came to an end, at last, between two large holly trees. Or did it?

The young noble had seen much of his homeland, but there was nothing yet that matched the beauty he saw as he looked from the east, and the West Gate, back over his shoulder and the valley that sat below, seeing all the way to Eregion!
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

Nov 09, 2006, 04:02 AM #1 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006, 05:19 PM by tomcat
Durgil was greeted to a wondrous view as the West Gate doors opened, though no seem or hinge could be seen prior to them parting. A very rotund Dwarf, ornately dressed and armoured, walked from the flickering shadows of Khazad-dûm's western entrance.

The Dúnadan noble bowed respectfully and spoke, "I am Durgil of Arthedain. With the permission of the guard Dwolin,I have been allowed passage to the gates of your realm. I am here to request passage for myself and companions into your realm as a debt of honor to a fallen friend who was of your kin."

The Dwarf eyed the Man and then grunted his reply, "We have had little dealings with your folk for many years, save the few merchants that travel near our realm, and access to our city is only granted by the king. Who is it that you speak of that was of our kin? And why would you be bringing word of his fall?"

OOC: italicized words are from GoB's post...

Persuade (Charm) - 12*+1*+5=17

"My friends and I have come to pay our respects for Lunduf of Moria.  He fell in the North saving a fellow Dwarf in battle against the mighty wyrm, Scatha.  That Dwarf, Nain, is also with us -- a great craftsman in his own right," beams Durgil, offering his blade as proof.  "The tale is long and great was Lunduf's courage, known well to my people before I even met him."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Nov 09, 2006, 04:34 PM #2 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006, 04:36 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Durgil"My friends and I have come to pay our respects for Lunduf of Moria.  He fell in the North saving a fellow Dwarf in battle against the mighty wyrm, Scatha.  That Dwarf, Nain, is also with us -- a great craftsman in his own right," beams Durgil, offering his blade as proof.  "The tale is long and great was Lunduf's courage, known well to my people before I even met him."

The Dwarf's face broke with instant recognition, "I know Lûnduf! He was part of our western guard." He took off his helmet and lowered his head, "He left almost a year ago by order of King Bain to seek out the lands of Men to ascertain why their merchants had become so scarce. He traveled with another of our comrades, Kerri. He returned in the late winter of last year..."

The Dwarven Door Ward turned from Durgil obviously saddened by this news. The Dúnadan did not know what more to say and figured it best to let the Dwarf grieve in peace, and so he waited there in silence. A moment later, the Door Ward spoke again, "It will take until tomorrow to send word of your presence here to King Bain, and then to get word back of his reply. Feel free to make camp upon the sward... you will be safe under our watchful eye, but until I hear from my liege, you may go no further."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"Thank you for your generosity," bowed Durgil.  "But by your leave, I cannot stay right now for Dwolin now stands alone on the bridge with one of your patrols is missing -- he thinks due to trolls.  My companions have offered to search for them while I shall stand with Dwolin.  I or one of my companions shall return tomorrow to receive word of the reply.  If none do, please once again pass on my people's gratitude to Lunduf's family and the king for the service he did for them."  Durgil bowing once again, departs from the gate

If granted the leave, he shall return to the bridge.
Otherwise, he shall make camp upon the sward.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

"That patrol has not yet returned?" queried the Door Ward. "Hmmm...?"

He scratched his beard and waved over another heavily armored Dwarf, "Bori, assemble another patrol to accompany this Man back to the bridge and to relieve Dwolin - it seems the Trolls have yet to be found or dealt with." He then turned back to Durgil, "It is the responsibility of Dwarves to protect Dwarven lands, though we appreciate the gesture."

Around the two, the guards became animated with activity and in moments there were five Dwarves ready to march to the bridge at the base of the Water Stair.

The Door Ward turned again to Durgil as the Dúnadan was mounting his horse, "I assure you that we shall have word from the royal house by afternoon tomorrow; I am Faylin and you may see me for the answer."

That said, the Dwarven patrol under Bori's command began to move out - Durgil rode quietly behind.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]