• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 12:37 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Troll lair

Started by Stefan, Nov 08, 2006, 04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan

Nov 08, 2006, 04:22 AM Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006, 05:21 PM by tomcat
Far below, the other Company members had ridden the mile and a half distance to come at last to the ruined merchant cart. It lay on its side and the axle was cracked, while the yoke was completely gone. Nain could easily see what had caused the damage to the wain - a large boulder sat close by, in the middle of the road.

As Dwolin had stated, a rough trail led up south and east from the wreck and disappeared into the heights.

Nain pointed out the large rock to his companions, "Here's the work of Trolls.  Let's be up the path so we can be behind the stone walls 'fore the darkness frees them."

The Dwarf dismounted from Jethro and tied him loosly to the wagon then began walking up the steep trail.

tomcat

Nov 08, 2006, 09:40 AM #1 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006, 05:00 PM by tomcat
The rest of Nain's companions followed his lead, first securing their mounts and then begining the climb up the trail, if that is what it could be called. Not far up from the road, more evidence of Trolls was found - large, heavy-shod feet had left imprints that clearly went in the direction the Company followed. And so they pressed on, Nain leading the group.

The trail zigged and zagged a couple times, as it rose, but finally it came to a level shoulder of the lower mountain and the companions could see three large tiers rise before them, atop the third appeared to be a cave that went back into the rock face. With great effort the Company climbed the 'steps' and upon the top tier were greeted to an horrific sight - visible under a crushing large stone was the lower torso of a Dwarf clad in ringed mail. Death looked like it had been quick, if not painless.

Just up from the carnage, the cave entrance yawned and deep within could be seen faint light and voices could be heard.

"Wha' ya mean ya wantsta boil 'em! Bin you couldn't cook if ya needed to!"

"Shaddup Gnash! I'll cook you!"

And then in a deeper, more commanding voice, "I'll cook the both of ya if ya don't stop arguing!! It was your wild throw Gnash that made one of the treats useless! I should make you take that one! We'll wait fer nightfall and then broil all three over a big fire outside... so just sits quiet 'til then!"

Outside, Nain could feel his anger rise as the oafish creatures talked about his fallen kin, and the others that were... captured? Or were they all dead?

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Nov 08, 2006, 12:40 PM #2 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2006, 12:43 PM by sdrotar
In a whisper, Dirnhael said, "We must ascertain whether they are alive or dead. If they live, we should lure the trolls out before nightfall."

From the discussion they had heard, there were at least three trolls. With only six men, Dirnhael didn't like the odds if they had to engage them. But if they could get them out into the light somehow, an ambush just might work.

He looked around for suggestions.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Wiseman

"The thief and I should use the shadows to scout what we see inside.  You draw them out and we can rescue them if they are indeed alive."  Seriand wished to make up for his previous failures at making an ally, with luck on his side he would be turn that around and save the lives of some dwarves.

sdrotar

OOC: Tomcat, may I ask what kind of trolls these are likely to be, and what game rules apply to trolls in the sunlight?

Nikitas

"Thief? Oh now that is not fair, after all I am the one waiting for my just compensation. Besides what have I stolen that..." Galudir truly took offense to the title before he remembered his stunt with the company's weapons, "Right. Off we go I suppose." With a smile on his face Galudir turned toward Seriand and motioned with his hands for the elf to lead the way. Scouting out a troll cave was, perhaps, the very definition of insanity, but the prospect excited the young rogue. He had no deep concern for the dwarves inside, but the rescue would make quite a tale to tell.

Stefan

Nain's rage at the conversation of the Trolls was quickly overpowering his better judgement.  However, even in his anger he knew that charging in and attacking the trolls in their darkened cave would be suicidal.  He also knew that Trolls tended to be stupid which lead him to the thought that maybe he could bait them.

"Dirnhael, I have an idea that may work to lure them.  All of you hide and I will pretend to be the dwarf that was trapped by the stone.  In my delerious state I will yell for help which should get their attention.  When they come out to retrieve the rest of their meal you jump out and attack."

tomcat

Nov 09, 2006, 07:17 AM #7 Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006, 06:34 AM by tomcat
Quote from: sdrotarOOC: Tomcat, may I ask what kind of trolls these are likely to be, and what game rules apply to trolls in the sunlight?

OOC: Hey Shawn, you can ask...  ;D

No, I am not going to tell you the type of trolls you are gonna meet here, but what I will say is that only the Olog-Hai, which Sauron bred in the latter part of the Third Age along with the Uruk-Hai,  were able to endure the sun; all other breeds, turn immediately to stone when the sunlight touches them.

I am also attaching here the map I created... you guys don't know the layout yet, but I wanted to make sure I did not forget it at the office.

More narrative to follow...
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 09, 2006, 04:49 AM
Nain's rage at the conversation of the Trolls was quickly overpowering his better judgement.  However, even in his anger he knew that charging in and attacking the trolls in their darkened cave would be suicidal.  He also knew that Trolls tended to be stupid which lead him to the thought that maybe he could bait them.

"Dirnhael, I have an idea that may work to lure them.  All of you hide and I will pretend to be the dwarf that was trapped by the stone.  In my delerious state I will yell for help which should get their attention.  When they come out to retrieve the rest of their meal you jump out and attack."

Dirnhael rubbed at his stubbly chin thoughtfully. It wasn't a bad idea at all... but he still had concerns about taking on three trolls. Surely, the monsters weren't stupid enough to simply walk out into the sunlight to their deaths, and engaging them within their caves would be foolhardy.

But then again, if the trolls didn't leave their caves, then there was no harm in trying Nain's plan, either...

He nodded to Nain, then looked to Seriand and Galudir. "Before you risk yourselves entering that lair, let us see if we can even the odds somewhat." Looking to the others, he said, "Let us scout for defensible positions near the mouth of the cave. If Nain's plan works and the trolls come out, they'll be vulnerable. If we can wound them, they could become enraged and foolishly step into the light of day."

Stefan

Once the men and elves were hidden Nain lays by the rock, close enough so that it looks like part of him might be under is. Lying so near the dead made him shiver but this was something that needed to be done to save this poor Dwarf's companions.  He shouted for all he was worth.

"Hhhheeeelllp.........hhhheeeelllp.  The stone is crushing me. Hhhheeeelllp"

He was pretty sure that the evil trolls could not resist the suffering of others so he continued yelling as if in pain.

tomcat

Nov 10, 2006, 06:30 AM #10 Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006, 06:41 AM by tomcat
Fengel had positioned himself near to the entrance using what cover there was. From his vantage he could hear the creatures inside and if he dared, he could peek around and look into the cave. The pleading cries from Nain took little time to get a reaction...

From the cave, "Ehhhh??? What is dat?"

"Sounds like somethin' is callin' from outside, Bin."

"Of course it is something outside you ninnyhammer!! Where else would it come from?" Bin replied.

"Shaddup the both of ya's!" came the sterner voice. "Are you sure that treat was smashed dead, Gnash?"

"Yea, Ort, he was! I knows he was... heard him go cruuunncch!" The last comment brought a giggle from two of the Trolls in the cave.

"Well obviously ya only pinned 'im, cuz he is crying out there fer help," Ort protested. "Go out and get 'im."

The laughter in the cave came to a sudden halt, "Errr?? Wha'?? Go out and get him, Ort? Go out and get him?" The Troll's words were incredulous. "But Ort... it's sunny outside."

That garned a giggle from the supposed leader, "So it is... hee hee hee."

With that Ort lumbered up and began to walk towards the cave's entrance but then halted well inside, away from any of the dangerous rays of sunlight. His voice boomed down the tunnel, "Bah! Bah! Bah! Little sheep... don't worry, we won't make you wait long."

Behind the large shadowy form, the two others giggled and guffawed as they all turned back into their cave. Fengel could hear one of them mutter, "Sheep? Haven't 'ad a good taste a'mutton in a while either."

Stefan

"What have I to worry about from a troll in a hole.  I'll be long gone before you lumps of dun can shamble away from your pile.  I know I don't have anything to fear from a few cowardly whelps.  You're to much of a coward to even come out here and face me, why should I be scared.  Maybe if you bring your brothers you could stand up to a lone dwarf pinned under a rock?"

Having been a merchant for more than a couple of years Nain recognized a hard sell.  It wasn't quite what he was used to but selling was selling.

Actions
Persuade(Fast Talk) (1d12) +5; 9+5=14

tomcat

Nov 10, 2006, 11:54 AM #12 Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006, 05:06 PM by tomcat
Ort heard Nain's comments and halted in his course back into the main chamber of their cave. He turned back towards the entrance and looked; the sun was in the afternoon sky and its rays bathed all of the western side of the mountains, there would be no shade whatsoever. The Dwarf was pinned down... he wouldn't be going anywhere and so the troll and his brothers could wait.

Ort called out, "Just lay there and simmer in that awful sun little Dwarf, we'll be out to fetch you when its gone. You can be sure that you'll be the first in the pot!"

The large troll turned back to the firelit room where his kin sat listening and giggling.

OOC: Great roll Stefan, but it's a hard sell to be sure. Trolls are not the most intelligent of beasts, but they know what will kill them.

Remember, Gandalf tricked them by keeping them busy outside until the sunrise. I do not think with it up in the sky, with no shade to speak of that these guys will willingly walk out into it.

Sorry...

sdrotar

This wasn't going to work, Dirnhael thought.
Perhaps it was best to leave this place, return to the bridge quickly and request reinforcements.

Dirnhael wasn't the type to shy away from a fight, but he wasn't suicidal, either.
From what they heard, it seemed likely that the other Dwarves were alive, but wouldn't be for much longer.

Then a thought occurred to him: send the swiftest rider back to gather more Dwarves, but in the meantime, they could start setting traps for the trolls, as they knew where's they'd emerge after the sun set.

He summoned the others to discuss the idea - they needed to come a decision quickly.

Stefan

ooc:Oh well, it was worth a try

IC:  Nain listens while the oaf walks back into the cave then stands and moves away from the stone.  In a much quieter voice he speaks to his companions.

"Please help me move this boulder, he should not be left like this.  I will take his body and try to get help against the trolls.  I know there are swifter riders but my people will be more ready to listen to one of their own."