• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The choice - where to travel?

Started by sdrotar, Mar 02, 2006, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which path should we take?

North, across the mountains and near Mirkwood
2 (33.3%)
South, towards Moria and Eregion
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 4

sdrotar

Dirnhael had listened intently. It seemed that some members of the Company were certain that their route was best, and others - himself and Edrahlif, notably - did not find either way particularly palatable.

"We must make this choice for ourselves, and let fate decide the rest," he said. "What say you; north or south?"
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Mar 02, 2006, 11:10 AM #1 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006, 04:44 AM by tomcat
"North seems the wiser," said Edrahil, "but my heart sings to see Eregion and perhaps get a glimpse of the once proud and fair city of Ost-in-Edhil. I vote we go south and if the Dwarves do not admit us, we take the pass of Caradhras... this may seem selfish, but it is the choice I make. After all, we are no longer on a quest of urgent need, we are accompanying our friend home. Still, I will consent to follow the will of the Company, whichever route is chosen."

[VOTED]

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Mar 02, 2006, 11:39 AM #2 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006, 07:07 AM by Palandil
"I am in agreement with you Edrahil, besides  the path north will still be ladden with snow.  I feel we should try to enter the west gate of Moria, for if by chance Durin's folk will allow us to pass we will be safer for it.  If not as I said Caradhras will be clear of snow by then."

[VOTED SOUTH]

Stefan

Mar 03, 2006, 04:30 AM #3 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2006, 06:35 AM by Stefan
"My kin will let us pass. Have no fear my friends.  We dwarves may be as stubborn as the mountains that we live under but my kin would never bar the way against one of their own.  The passes of the north will still be snowbound this time of year, they shouldnt even be considered an option till nearly summer. Even if my kin were to bar our way, which they won't, we'd be better off going south."

[VOTED]

GandalfOfBorg

Mar 03, 2006, 04:33 AM #4 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006, 08:59 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Durgil shifted uncomfortably at the mentioned of the folly of his people's lord of old. "That may be so, but those were long years ago when the world was far more perilous after the fall of the Enemy.  My heart leans toward the more immediate difficult path.  I fear traveling south could bring us unlooked for grief from those still in league with Angmar and the Dunlendings."

[VOTED]
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: Hey all, can you then make a vote on the poll above? Thanks! I plan on using its results for the story direction. The RP'ing of your choice is awesome too, I want that, but I wanna take advantage of the interactiveness of this board. If you could even put the word [VOTED] at the end of your post, that would be great!

Hey Shawn, wanted to let you know your new character sheet is uploaded.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Mar 03, 2006, 04:24 PM #6 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006, 04:30 PM by tomcat
OOC: Okay, this is wierd. I have 3 votes on the poll... 2 for the north pass and 1 to go south to Moria, yet the posts give me 3 choices for south and 1 for north!?! Dirnhael and Seriand have not given their input yet, so I can only assume the following:

• Durgil wants to cross near Rivendell - Northern Pass
  • Edrahil wants to go south to Moria - Southern Pass/Crossing (I know that I voted south on the poll - I even removed my vote and did it again, so Edrahil's is the only south vote)
  • Fengel wants to go south
  • Nain wants to go south

Anyway, I will wait to hear from Dirnhael and Seriand, but right now the south route has it.

sdrotar

OOC: Dirnhael would rather wait for Seriand to weigh in before making a decision - he's a little torn at the moment. :)

tomcat

Mar 04, 2006, 02:35 AM #8 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2006, 09:50 AM by tomcat
Edrahil looked to Durgil; he could tell the young Dunadan was uncomfortable with the direction that the vote was going. "Durgil, will you still follow should we choose this route to Moria?"

GandalfOfBorg

"Yes, of course," the young man replied, somewhat taken aback at the implication that he wouldn't continue on with them over a disagreement with the path chosen.  "These are just my concerns being voiced."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

OOC: Sorry I didn't see the poll when I posted I just put voted south at the bottom of my post.  I'll vote in the poll.  Please don't fire me!

Wiseman

sdrotar

Durgil's points were valid, and Dirnhael himself thought the North probably was the wiser route, but Edrahil was right; they were in no hurry, and he did want to give Nain's people the benefit of the doubt - perhaps the Dwarves would allow them passage through Moria, after all.

Most of the party wished to travel South, and since Dirnhael saw no more danger in that direction then the other, he was inclined to acquiesce to the desires of the Company.

"South it is," he said.

Although he wished to linger in Rivendell longer, he had no desire to overstay their welcome, either.
It was nearing time for them to move on.

tomcat

Quote from: Durgil
"Yes, of course," the young man replied, somewhat taken aback at the implication that he wouldn't continue on with them over a disagreement with the path chosen.  "These are just my concerns being voiced."

The Sindar was immediately aware that he had offended his friend, "I mean you no offense Durgil, I only wished to make sure that you would still wish to follow, and yes, it is best that all concerns be voiced - from our concerns can be made the wisest decision."

tomcat

Two more days passed and the Company prepared themselves to set off once more - bags were packed, and trail rations were re-stocked. Elrond presented Fengel with a leather map case which contained an elegant map of the Misty Mountain region. Along with this, the Company returned to their apartments to find clothing re-stitched, armour mended, and weapons honed - the work done well enough to impress even Nain. In fact, the Dwarf felt a bit of envy for the skilled hands that had worked on his axe.

It was during this time, while Dirnhael stood within the quiet stables brushing down his mount that Arwen quietly came to him, in her arms laid the longsword that her folk had laboured long upon. The Elfess was but a mere few feet away when Dirnhael noticed she was there. He turned with a smile and was pleased to see the one she gave in return.

"Mae govannen Dirnhael, how go your preparations?"