• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 02:08 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A Cold Welcome

Started by Eclecticon, Mar 28, 2023, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Though it was but a passing comment, the Beorning chieftain's words have stirred a realisation in the Elf-lord, for it is not only the eyes of the Eldar that mark the presence of things beyond the senses of Men.  Indeed, beyond and beneath the dense fug of sweat and filth that ever accompanies the presence of scores of Men all sharing the same hearth, there is indeed a bitter note of some fell sorcery about the hall that has seized all within and now holds them in its dreadful grasp. 

For the blinking of an eye, he is adrift on a river of his memory, casting his thoughts back through the centuries to a time, long before he first sought to cross the Hithaeglir, when he delighted to take his ease in the Hall of Fire and hear Erestor read the histories of deeds long past even as the Elves reckon it.  From the depths of his recollection springs a line from the tale of Gil-Galad's deeds in the Second Age: "...for the witches of the Enemy went among them, though they knew it not, and hid within their halls tablets struck with great curses of dread and terror, that their hearts might be bound fast though their arms yet had strength to defy the darkness."
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

"There is an evil afoot here, Luindîs -- one that hearkens an age past.  Some fell Morgul-work is at play.  Go among the Men and about the house and seek out anything that might be foul feeling or dark script.  Touch them not but find me and we will do what we can to rid this place of the scourge."

Gwaithlim follows his own track, seeking tablets or other objects that may contain cursed scrawl.

:ooc:
 :00:
Explore -  1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 2, total 4

Use Hope if necessary (Favoured)
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: Matt, this situation calls for a Search roll, not Explore.  I'll make a roll that you can use if you want to save time, otherwise feel free to make your own. 

:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: ehh gad! The LM roller is broken now!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Ugh well that all just goes downhill ;)
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

Hathcyn stood in the yard of the hall. Away from the other thain men he was more personal and gripped Grimbeorn's shoulder.

"We came at your need and the crossing was contested. What has happened that we have found you so? The men are vacant and without fight huddled around a poorly vented fire of wet logs. Surely we can not stay here? If we are to fall then let us ride out and shed our blood upon the crossing of the Carrock and buy perhaps a song of our falling. Besides, if we stay here those at the ford have no shield to guard them. They will be rooted out like hogs in the fall and bled for slaughter. Shall we not act and not wait behind rotting timber and guttering fire?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Grimbeorn, for a brief moment again the man Hathcyn knew of old, looks once again crestfallen at his comrade's words.  "All that you say is true," he says.  "I called upon the clans west of the river to muster here, thinking that we'd then face the foe in the field as you counsel.  But the orcs were already abroad, and riding swift wolves as I'm told they haven't done in many a long year!  More than a few bold and fierce warriors never made it as far as these walls, and many who did spoke of a great wolf chieftain who led his folk to savage slaughter!"

As the Longspear watches, the light and passion begins to fade once again from his chieftain's eyes. " And now," he croaks,"we are caught up in some black sorcery, and I've not the cunning nor the strength to defeat it.  I feel it, Hathcyn," he adds, his face full of despair and his feet already shuffling back toward the door.  "I feel it taking hold of me!  My friend, swear to me that you won't tarry here!"

Within the hall, Gwaithlim finds his search fruitless, for too many are the hiding places even in such a rude dwelling as this, and too many are the bodies in the way any way that he should turn.  But the certainty will not leave him that, somewhere in this place, a token is hid that holds fast the spell upon these poor Men like an anchor holds a ship.  Would that he could but find it!

It is the daughter of Númenor who jars him from his frustrated musings, arriving at his side with the she-elf in tow.  "Speak to us of what you seek, friend, for it is plain that you know of something we do not."

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

"I cannot certain what is being sought for I search by the sense of the place.  If I were to describe these foul objects, they'd be hidden away and contain a Morgul-script scrawled upon them, weaving dark power within them.  Their presence is diffused with the oppression over all."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

Hathcyn looks at his chieftain and then looks about the place.

"Then let us leave here and make for the Carrock. We can bring pitch and tar for torches, and sharpened sticks for fences. If we stick together and with a purpose they will find no purchase upon us. And the banner of the bear will keep them together."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

The Bear's Son only shakes his head, a look of dread and mourning in his eyes.  "Be away from here as fast as you can go!  We are lost.  We are lost..." 

:ooc: Okay, here's how this will work: the inhabitants of the hall are, as you've astutely noticed, under a sorcerous effect.  Grimbeorn, ex-adventurer and A-grade hero that he is, is at least aware that something is affecting his mind, but he can't shake it himself.  A Song or Inspire roll can snap him (or any of the others) out of it for a short while, but they'll relapse until the anchor for the curse is found and neutralised. 

Feel free to propose any actions you deem reasonable and/or feasible in your search.  When you've come to an agreement about a plan, we'll do some rolling and I'll narrate events appropriately (probably in a new thread).

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: hathcyn is unaware of any sorcery or talisman.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on May 17, 2023, 11:37 AMHathcyn looks at his chieftain and then looks about the place.

"Then let us leave here and make for the Carrock. We can bring pitch and tar for torches, and sharpened sticks for fences. If we stick together and with a purpose they will find no purchase upon us. And the banner of the bear will keep them together."

"We cannot leave them here, Hathcyn!" exclaimed Esgalwen. "They are under a dweomer and even now Gwaithlim senses its purpose, but not its location. It must be found!"

With that, Esgalwen walks from them all circling the hall in search of some runic evil that might bespell the place.

TN 14* search 2d
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8

*I am not sure if the rain and night create a more challenging test.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: That is a :%: success unless the TN is greater than 14.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: Paul, is there a hound here at the steading?

If so I'd like to use my new talent of speak with hounds and see if there is a place the dogs avoid, refuse to sleep, or generally dont like.

Hathcyn pondered this news. "Perhaps were man and elf fail our friends of old have an answer."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Good thinking, Tom, and good rolling, Doug!  New thread to follow.

Character sheet