• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:49 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - Ever-Turning Stars

Started by Eclecticon, Nov 23, 2022, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: Allow me to call us back to order, after a longer than average hiatus.  We're still awaiting end-of-year narration from Doug and Tom, but that can wait for the moment.  I'll start the next chapter off and we can finish these matters as and when time allows.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

The change began with the bees. The hives were all a stir and the thrumming of the drones created a cacophony of sound to a much greater distance than usual. This was not the buzzing of the slow steady labor of the creatures, but the sound of turmoil. All the signs pointed towards a  swarm, but none of the reasons or problems were present.

Grimbeorn called up all of his apiary skill and even summoned the oldest and most skilled in the craft. After coaxing and working their skill, and with the assistance of the elf to affect all things of the natural world the crisis was averted. Without bees there were no honey cakes and how could the house of Grimbeorn exist without them?

Hathcyn heard rumors at the forest gate that events were not bad, but they were not good either. Receiving mixed rumors at his hone he decided to make his way to Grimbeorn and see for himself what was passing. The grumbling of thane's was a thing expected during any change of power, but the issues seemed deeper, like the fabric was unraveling instead of being torn, the fibers spun out and coming apart. The pattern of their lives was changing and the threads needed to be bound or rewoven.

The hall was full of men when Hathcyn arrived. Thane's or their sons, or those that aspired to the title, came and went speaking with the son of Beorn. He sat on a great chair hearing and listening. For one who had traveled greatly with the great bear of a man he knew the strain it placed upon him to listen and speak. He pondered more and spoke plain but less direct than he had during their long journeys.

Then Hathcyn noted that hall was different. The animals, who once were almost man like were fewer in number. The smaller creatures were nowhere to be found and even the larger ones seemed fewer in number. At this Hathcyn set out to find his friend Sardoc the hound. He found him gnawing a joint in a quiet remote place of the hall.

"Sardoc, my old friend." He reached and scratched the hound. The beast looked at the man dropping the bone and and Hathcyn understood but a few words of his greetings.  He frowned and asked again this time he understood more but the easy speech they once shared now took all of his concentration.

"The ears of men change. I stay the same. The bear has passed the bridge between man and not-man. Men see only beasts now, and they get what they expect to see."

Hathcyn was worried. "You are my friend and it is sore to loose you."

"We must change your ears, there is perhaps time enough for me to teach you."

"How did this happen?"

"The will of the bear, his nature as both man and not-man was the link. Men here forget us and so they no longer hear us. We no longer hear each other. The words of the badger are now strange to me, the birds meaningless. Our nature's overcome what was."

"How can I make my ears hear?"

"I can teach you the way of hounds, but each is to their own again."

"I will learn and you shall come with me. Come to my hall and you will have a place of honor."

"Rathcyn, I will come. I miss Aestid and would see her pups when she has them."

Hathcyn laughed. "Then we shall have a measure of joy still though an age is passing."

Hathcyn spoke to Grimbeorn and shared what he had learned from Sardoc. He then remained for awhile and helped him with the troubles of men. The sundering of the animals was sad, but the sundering and joining of men was foremost in their minds. Again and again talk turned to the Vigs and the Hill. One was a foe and the other an uncomfortable neighbor with unclear intentions.

"I'm afraid I can not bring you peace with my wife-father Wolfslayer. There are some there would honor Aestid and myself, but not all. Some have come to live with us and I would be a fool to think that all are loyal to us. He has eyes on me, and truthfully I have perhaps some on him. The raiding will pick up but perhaps not spill to war. Either way, the we must settle at least one of these issues the lids wont remain on the pots long when the water boils."

They could come to no answer and as his own cares called, smaller perhaps but no less pressing, the Foresthelm took his leave and with him went the hound Sardoc. Those on the road that met them never saw a man and a dog so seemingly carrying on as true companions until they came to the Fox's Tale and their friendship become of the fireside tales that was told and grew along the forest road. 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Esgalwen's Undertakings
Each require a roll, so they are rolled in order:

Guard the Old Ford
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

Collect Marsh Herbs (assuming that the Anduin river bank would offer the same opportunity as Laketown's marshes)
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Results:

:g: - I get a Chance Meeting with a potential Patron of note or other prominent individual. I gain 3 bonus dice to use in any encounter with that person and may later take them on as a patron.

2 - I find Reedmace. By boiling it down into a salve, all of my Healing roll TN's made during the new adventure phase are reduced by -4.

Awesome stuff!

I will have my Fellowship Phase post up in a bit and it will include narrative of these undertakings.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Quote from: Eclecticon on Jan 16, 2023, 02:11 AM:ooc: Man, that was worth the wait.

Wasnt quite where I wanted it, but I wanted to at least get something in the record and not dither anymore.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

:ooc: i reread my own post.....😂 as a reminder I am mostly educated and speak English as my native tongue. My typing and posting on the phone and my brain moving faster than my fingers are usually the culprit for my garbled transmissions.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Jan 24, 2023, 10:21 AM #37 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2023, 06:53 PM by tomcat
The journey out of the mountains left Esgalwen wandering once more within her memories. Always were the quiet times between action that the woman found herself straying to her home far away.

Perhaps it was the mountains.

Perhaps it was the passing of Beorn, sire of her dear friend and a boon patron these many years.

Needless to say, Esgalwen could not break her long gazes at the peaks of the Misty Mountains. Their march down from the heights was arduous, just as was the climb, but less fraught with danger. The green, forested foothills came closer with each day's hike and soon they walked within the hush of evergreens. Beyond this, the expanse of the Anduin Vale stretched out before their eyes and the thin, greenish-brown vein of the river was plain to see. So, too, was the Carrock and the Old Ford, as was the Dwarf-road that ran off to the dark green of Mirkwood.

And so, upon their arrival at the gurgling river's edge, at the ancient ford, Esgalwen spoke to her friends where they camped. "I know you all have homes and tasks of your own that you each shall seek, but I feel that my journey will end here for a while."

"Here? At the river?" asked Arbogast. The Fire-watcher was not concerned, only interested as to why the lady would not continue on with them.

"Yes," smiled Esgalwen and her face had a hint of the younger woman she once was. The cares and worries that had hung on her for so long, since the Battle of Stánford, were less. "I feel at home here and it soothes my soul. And so I will abide along this river's edge, if but for a while." The Ranger pointed to the ford and its small barracks where a few Beornings and Woodmen kept their watch. "I will serve with these men for the spring months and enjoy both the river and mountains. Though you have not seen it, it reminds me of Ithilien back home and I am at peace. I will mourn here the passing of Beorn - our friend and patron - and hopefully some of the shadow that haunts my heart will diminish."

Arbogast smiled back at her and looked deep into her eyes. Esgalwen was fair to behold, even covered with grime as she was, and he flushed. His heart was true to Lindwine, but the beauty of the Dúnadan woman struck him.

Had he never truly seen it before?

He dismissed the interruption of his thoughts, "As you wish, Lady. I am certain that you will prove yourself worthier than all the men that serve this ford. When will see you again?"

"I don't know," she answered idly. "I am certain that we shall all see each other again soon when some new urgent need arises. That has been our wont."

To this, each member of the company nodded and the subject soon changed. With the dawn, Arbogast, Hathcyn and Gwaithlim each said their goodbyes, and then began the task of crossing the river and seeing themselves off to their own paths. Esgalwen watched them until they disappeared from her sight and then grabbed up her things and moved to where the men stationed here kept watch.

Though they did not scorn her offer to aid, it was evident that they did not see the value of a woman in this duty - but that soon changed.

The Blood of Númenor ran through her and Esgalwen's strengths soon became apparent. She was keen with bow and aided in the gathering of food. Her eyes were good, and she speared many a fish, as well as gathered many edible river plants and herbs. Her renown with the Men of the Vale could not be dismissed and with each traveler that crossed the ford, some new her and many were the tales of the Company of the Helm around the river camps. Within weeks, Esgalwen was one among the watch of the Old Ford, and all were better for it.

The harsher months of winter passed and spring at last began to color the landscape. The river surged from snowmelts, but still the ford was busy. The Men of Mountain Hall began bringing their wares from the mountain as soon as the passes were clear. Their larders were still full of purchased grain and fruits, from the previous Fall's reaping, but time was always against them. Snow could come early, or stay late, and so when the passes opened, Mountain Hall began to work.

News passed over the Ford with each traveler and Esgalwen kept her ear out for anything that might be a call for her to return. But no call came and so she moved along the edge of the river, collecting herbs and plants. Learning new skills and honing the knowledge she already held. The peace she felt continued, and she healed. Though Minas Tirith and Gondor still called to her heart, knowing these waters ran all the way to Pelargir made her feel at home.

On the first day of Spring, strangers came into the Old Ford camp and rested there. They were tall and dark of hair, and their eyes were gray. A strength was hidden within each, though they dressed in rough-spun clothes of commoners, and wore dark-coloured cloaks that gave no hint of a particular color – only blending with the browns and greens of the surrounding terrain.

The Woodmen and Beornings left these men to themselves, talking to them little but not denying them any need. So it was that Esgalwen returned to the camp, her woven basket filled with a plethora of river plants with many uses, and she beheld these strangers. Immediately her heart jumped, and she stared in wonder.

Rangers? Of Ithilien? Had some of her long lost companions survived? Where had they been?

She quickly handed off the basket to Bronin – a Beorning of few words – and asked, "Who are they? When did they arrive?" As was his nature, Bronin merely looked over his shoulder and grunted, "Day ago, maybe? Come down out of the hills and camped. Not sure their business."

Intrigued, Esgalwen straightened herself and walked over to where the men rested. She could easily note that their eyes watched her approach and she felt drawn to them. There were four of them - two leaned against a log, while a third poked at the embers of their fire, stirring it up. The fourth eyed her over his long clay pipe that he puffed at and then blew forth smoke.

"Good day, Lady," he said when she had come amongst them. Taking the pipe from between his teeth, he gestured to an empty log that ringed the fire, offering her the seat. "Join us?"

Still intrigued, Esgalwen answered, "I would be honoured. I am Esgalwen, daughter of Eradan, of Minas Tirith. Forgive me to ask, but you also look to be my kin and I wonder as to why you are here."

The smoking man nodded, "Well met Esgalwen, I am Dernhuin, son of Damphel, and I believe you are correct in our kinship, though it be far greater in time." A memory came to Esgalwen immediately as the man spoke, of another whom she had met some years past with the wizard, Gandalf. Great was the similarity between these men and the other.

Long did they speak and much did Esgalwen learn. Dunédain of the North? Though they did not say it was so, she could not mistake them for who they were. In them, she saw many of the visages of the great kings of old, and in their voices was a strength not heard save in the high princes of Gondor.

She learned of their errand and made oath to keep it in confidence. She learned of Arnor and what was left of that realm of old. Her thoughts marveled at the idea that there were still people of her blood residing in the empty lands of the north. But why would there not be? It was Elendil and his folk that settled that realm, even as his sons settled Gondor in the south, and surely the blood of Elendil could not be washed from this earth.

Esgalwen knew the history – of the three splinter kingdoms that came of Arnor, and how each of them fell to the Witch-king of Angmar. She knew of Eregion and the Elves and the tales of the Last Alliance. She swooned at all she heard and felt, and Dernhuin leant her an arm to steady herself.

"We leave with the morning on our errand east but will pass through this region on our return." Dernhuin looked at her, "We would welcome you to come with us over the mountains, if you wish, Lady. Our lands are humble, but you would find a home and kinship there, should you want it. Lest your goal is to return to your own lands, for surely Gondor must miss a daughter of such great strength."

"I know not where my road leads, right now," answered Esgalwen, "but my heart and mind are intrigued, good sir. I will look for your return, though I cannot promise that it is here that you will find me. I have resided long among the Woodmen of the Vale and the Men of Dale, and struggled beside them in their labors. Still... your offer is one that I could accept if our paths meet once more."

Dernhuin smiled at her and they talked longer into the day of things more mundane.

With the new morning, these Men of the North were gone.

tomcat

Jan 24, 2023, 10:53 AM #38 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2023, 11:15 AM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Jan 16, 2023, 06:13 AMResults:

:g: - I get a Chance Meeting with a potential Patron of note or other prominent individual. I gain 3 bonus dice to use in any encounter with that person and may later take them on as a patron.

:ooc: I did not make it into an encounter, yet. The dice rolls will be a better meter as to what Esgalwen really learns of these men. I did not make it a prominent person, more that she has learned about the Dunédain of the North.

I will roll it out and see how the dice land and you can embellish on things she learned, later in our story, as it becomes relevant.

Encounter rolls to follow.

tomcat

Encounter with the Men of the North

Bonus dice - 3 per my undertaking results; I will also roll an Insight to see if she gains any more:

TN 14 insight 2d
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 4, total 6

tomcat

Bonus dice - 3 per my undertaking results; none from Insight

Introduction - I will use Courtesy, even though she is better at Awe. It seems more apropos.
TN 14 courtesy 2d
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 6, total 7

tomcat

Tolerance - Wisdom seems the better basis for this rating, so it will be 5.

Introduction - was a Great Success. If we are counting Introduction to the outcome, that gives me 2 successes thus far.

Interactions - I am going to roll a series here and apply them accordingly to the encounter. Riddle will be for her trying to puzzle out who they are; persuade is to get them to talk; insight is to understand what they are really saying; and song is to compare her knowledge with the old lore from songs:
TN 14 riddle 2d, persuade 2d, insight 2d, song 3df
:00: riddle 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 3, total 8

:00: persuade 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 2, total 5

:00: insight 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7

:00: song 2d12 : 1, 12, total 13
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 3, total 10

tomcat

Introduction - was a Great Success. If we are counting Introduction to the outcome, that gives me 2 successes thus far.

Interactions - I am going to roll a series here and apply them accordingly to the encounter. Riddle will be for her trying to puzzle out who they are; persuade is to get them to talk; insight is to understand what they are really saying; and song is to compare her knowledge with the old lore from songs:

Riddle was a 15 success for 1
Persuade was a 14 success for 1
Insight was a :g: success for 1

I am going to roll my 3 bonus dice and see if any of them will make 1 of the tests above a Great Success:
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 6, 1, total 12

tomcat

Jan 24, 2023, 11:11 AM #43 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2023, 11:21 AM by tomcat

Interactions - I am going to roll a series here and apply them accordingly to the encounter. Riddle will be for her trying to puzzle out who they are; persuade is to get them to talk; insight is to understand what they are really saying; and song is to compare her knowledge with the old lore from songs.

Okay with the bonus dice rolled and added, the new results are:

Riddle was a 20 success for 1
Persuade was a 20 Great success for 2
[CORRECTED] Insight was an 11 Failure, to which I will add a :vv:. That makes it an 18 success for 1*

And that is the end result of either a 7 (if we include the Introduction result), or a 5. So the overall encounter was an Extraordinary Success or a Great Success per the chart on page 189.

I leave the results for you to incorporate into the game in the manner you choose, Paul.

*I had rolled this wrong using the new 2nd Ed. rules for Favoured skills - rolling 2 feat dice and taking the better result.